• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you gentleman

TheGoat

Smash Ace
OK so I've been practicing it but I can't get more than about a 70% success rate. from what I understand you pretty much do a>a>a+(z/r/l) but it's not something I've found exact data about like waveshining etc. :glare:

S l o X

Smash Champion
A A + (A+Z)
Hold Z for a little (shield buffers).

Although I randomly do A A A (hold A) now after practicing it for a long time then giving up. I would say if you are fresh, do AAA. It just seems easier and people who do it that way seem to have more success in not ****ing up.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
frames for a waveshines and shine-upsmashes, but nothing on the gentleman that i've seen

falcon = more technical than fox =D

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I do A + A + hold Z

The more quickly the A button is tapped each time, the better chance you have of succeeding with the gentleman... I have no idea why, that's just how it appears to be.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I do A + A + hold Z

The more quickly the A button is tapped each time, the better chance you have of succeeding with the gentleman... I have no idea why, that's just how it appears to be.
I have the same method, but I have been using gentleman more lately and realized that I have trouble doing this consistently...

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
A + A + hold Z is probably the easiest method, but also the most fragile. You have to be hitting something (shield, opponent, stage hitbox, etc.) with jab #2 for it to work, so if someone rolls behind you between the first two jabs, you'll just end up doing the rapid punches if you don't react fast enough :c

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
A + A + hold Z is probably the easiest method, but also the most fragile. You have to be hitting something (shield, opponent, stage hitbox, etc.) with jab #2 for it to work, so if someone rolls behind you between the first two jabs, you'll just end up doing the rapid punches if you don't react fast enough :c
Yea, I already knew this, I just have trouble not getting it to go into the rapid punch animation. I heard that holding that last button helps. And that their could be slightly different timing when hitting the third jab when attacking your opponent and hitting your opponents shield. I should just go practice this though.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
I do A + A + hold Z

I thought I read that its because whether you gentleman or not has to do with how many frames you're on the A button as opposed to off of it between the first 3 presses. Makes sense if that is indeed the case that pressing it quicker for the 3 presses would give you a higher success rate since pressing it quicker means A is held down for less frames.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
So, I have been practicing my method and it looks like that holding down the third hit until i get into lightshield is guaranteed. But going into lightshield wastes time, and the only other option I have found is just to space them out perfectly but thats hard to do consistently.

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
I use A + A + hold A and just have a small pause between the 2nd and 3rd A. This method has never given me any trouble whether I hit a shield or not and lets me dash right out.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I use A + A + hold A and just have a small pause between the 2nd and 3rd A. This method has never given me any trouble whether I hit a shield or not and lets me dash right out.
Wow, this works great. Might start using this from now on

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
i love all the superstition about the gentleman cause all of these ways work. i like to dash/walk/jump just after the last hit to interrupt the rest of the hits you don't need to press z or shield but it would probably help.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
The idea of pulling off a gentleman is to interrupt the rapid-jab animation by inputting another command to
interrupt the rapid jabs after the knee, not necessarily a shield or whatever (although you could).

The best way to time this is by hitting A, A, (interrupt command), then A again.
Be sure to hold your interrupt command until the jab begins to stop or else it won't interrupt.
Also don't press A until the move has completely finished or you will start a late rapid jab animation.

For example (Most Consistent), you could do A, A, Forward A (jab, jab, dash attack).
Be sure to hold forward.
Since pushing forward won't do anything to the character, that would be your interrupt command.

other ways are
Jab, Jab, Shield Jab (holding shield). Best if you want to Shield-Grab afterwards.

and
Jab, Jab, Crouch Jab, (holding down). Best if you want to D-Tilt afterwards.

and
Jab, Jab, Grab (holding Z).

Hope this explains and helps a little.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
The gentleman counts how many frames you've held A for out of the combo and if it goes over that number it will descend into rapid jabs. You also have to hold A or Z on the last hit for the gentleman to take place. The use of Z here is not to buffer a shield or a grab, it functions exactly as A would in this case. (to see what I mean here, pick Marth, jab once, then start spamming Z and you'll keep jabbing). The gentleman is easier to perform on people than on thin air because of the hitstun, which makes the entire 'combo' take longer, providing more frames where you aren't holding A.

To gentleman:
A+A+hold A/Z
For these first two A's, you want to release the button as quickly as possible, and you can hesitate a brief moment before holding A/Z at the end to allow more frames where you aren't holding A.

D

Deleted member

n00bs

best way to gentlemen is aaa --> dash cancel

every other method works only if u care about gentlemen coming out, but dashing out of gentlemen has the most practical use for comboing really hard

RedGamer

Smash Ace
n00bs

every other method works only if u care about gentlemen coming out, but dashing out of gentlemen has the most practical use for comboing really hard
What if you don't want to dash out?
You should dash and hold forward before the third A, that way you don't have to change the way you press A.

Dees

Smash Journeyman
n00bs

If I want to dash cancel, do I just hold hard left or right after the knee comes out?
I assume its that easy but want to be sure

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
No ... holding wouldn't make you dash
You just dash when the gentleman ends <_<

Go to the Falcon frame data page and look up the IASA frames for it and you'll know how soon you can input the dash

Top Bottom