• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you feel about brawl right now?

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
How do you guys feel about brawl so far? With Diddy Kong, Zero Suit Samus etc. I'm kinda happy so far with the updates and all. But with some of the new characters. I kinda feel it might mess up the game because there might be only one character that has like a attack thats fast and stuff. What do you guys think?

PhazonPirate

Smash Cadet
Sakurai said they're focusing on making the game more fun than worry about tournaments and all that.You could be right,but they pretty much have to balance it.Large,heavy characters like Bowser and Ganondorf need a huge boost.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
My impression from the updates (see who else is worried thread for details) is that they are making this game easier to play. examples being

Hold A to rapid jab instead of press repeatedly
links auto grapple, and sakurai mentioning that it was too difficult to aim in melee (hookshot recover)
the spicy curry is basically a lazy-man's fireflower
zero suit samus... smash ball.. yeah.

This might not be a bad thing, because smash has always thrived on simplicity. Thing is, as a competitive smasher I hope not too much of the depth from melee is gone in brawl.

I welcome a more newb friendly game since it will please a larger audience, but I just hope that this game will still serve as a good competitive smash title like the two previous.

The game itself, graphics, characters, stages, are all beautiful. Aside from my concerns about the skill level, I am throughly satisfied.

Sariku

Smash Master
As Dylan said, it's starting to seem far too simple. He's trying to hide some of it, like we CAN still continually press A to do rapid fire jabs, but he's appealing to the group that doesn't care about being appealed too. I mean, think about it, do you really think someone who buys WiiFit will just say "Lets buy Brawl!"

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
As Dylan said, it's starting to seem far too simple. He's trying to hide some of it, like we CAN still continually press A to do rapid fire jabs, but he's appealing to the group that doesn't care about being appealed too. I mean, think about it, do you really think someone who buys WiiFit will just say "Lets buy Brawl!"
Actually yeah :p. My 5-year old sister likes melee too (she plays peach, generally). My mom has also been known for playing from time to time. Thing is, Smash Bros has always been the same: an outer layer of utter simplicity, allowing people who don't want to memorize long button combinations to play a good fighting game. This is what wll sell it to the masses. So it's of course what they will promotion. Nintendo is trying to make the most money possible after all... and they know us "hardcores" will buy the game if it's good, even if they don't aim their marketing to us, which can't be said of the rest of the demographic.

So it's only logical that most of what's in the Dojo is going to be the simpler stuff, and the goofier stuff, with one or two bones thrown around for us.

The inner layer, the complex game, is not something we're going to see in the Dojo, or in fact, at all until the game is released. Hell, I was unaware of pretty much every advanced tech and metagame concern until I found this board (L-cancel and Teching were the only ones I noticed), and I bought Melee on launch day, and have played a lot during all this years.

So, peeps, don't worry, and enjoy the goofiness ride. We'll have to find whether Brawl is competitive-worthy by ourselves (or, better said, by yourselves, since I'm not really a competitive, I'm afraid :laugh:), 'cause they're not telling us beforehand.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I think it's going to be a great game, but it's never going to live up to everybody's expectations like ridiculous character additions and such. I do want it to appeal to both the casual and competitive players just like the last two games did. Apparently, there's some people that don't want that.

Chaudgobay

Smash Apprentice
right now i'm desapointed with brawl

because all i can see is that they are turning the game easier to play, so all the training i and many other usaed in melee was going to be nothing in brawl

they are making a game to everyone play like everything that nintendo are doing now, but smash bros for player who goes in tournements is a hardcore game, ane they are taking the hardcore part away from brawl

TaikaAli

Smash Apprentice
I have 0 doupts about this game. I bought Melee instantly when it was release in europe have been playing it since then atleast about 30 mins a day. (Of course some times we have smashfests with friends and smash 24 hours) I have never really played this too seriously, just love the game and i think its the best game of all times, i dont care if brawl will suck i will play it even if it does, i have waited for brawl far too much that it could possible suck.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
More like the group who want to play smash with the Wiimote( Sorry this is one game I wouldn't use the Wiimote for). I don't know really, unless Sakurai says " Now since getting back on the ledge can be diffcult I've decided to make your recoveries auto-matic ^_^ now you can get a Serra Mist while your character makes it back to the stage; handy don't you think " >_> you have nothing to worry about.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Brawl does seem like it's going to be simpler than Brawl, but I think it'll still be deep. It'll just be like the previous games: Easy to play, hard to master.

jambre

Smash Apprentice
i think people are forgetting this is a new game not an expansion pack to melee
being able to hold down the a button for standard combos isnt going to make the game super easy and will save you getting an 'a' imprinted on your thumb
also there wasnt alot to improve upon in melee to attract a wider audience.
having a final smash appeals to such an audience and as its an item there should be an option to turn it off if you dont want to use it. having an auto aiming hookshot makes the game both easier and harder, at lower level play it will be easier for the recovering person, but at higher it becomes easy to intercept as its always going to the same spot.

In my opinion the game is easier for casual gamers but doesnt really change much for hardcore gamers

Sir James

The Doctor
I have some worries about Brawl being easier to play as well, but we can't lose hope. Remember, we still have the same genius that created the series working on Brawl. I'm sure Sakurai knows of Melee's competitive gameplay and he'll keep that in mind. Remember, if he didn't want to cater to the pro's he would not have added the ability to use the Gamecube controller.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I think the game is doing AMAZINGLY graphic and detail wise, along with what we've seen of a new roster. The game is looking perfect so far, but the thing is, Sakurai keeps dropping hints that this will be a much easier game than Melee. Like the majority, I'm hoping that it doesn't become SO easy to the point where my scrub friends will be on the same level as me.
Remember ta E3 when Reggie was talking about Mario Kart for Wii? He said that "new players will be able to hold their own with veterans" . What if this happens with Brawl? Hopefully it won't completely wreck the game in the competitive department. I trust Sakurai though. Even though his main focus is appealing to the greater, less-skilled audience, I'm sure he has the competitive smashers in mind as well.

Unknownlight

Smash Journeyman
I don't have any doubts about this game. I'm sure Sakurai will make this like the first two games: "Easy to play, hard to master":). Also, I don't think that the fact that now you could just hold the A button instead of pressing it will make it super easy. All it'll do is, like jambre said, is keep an "A" from being imprinted on your thumb.:chuckle:

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I don't have any doubts about this game. I'm sure Sakurai will make this like the first two games: "Easy to play, hard to master":). Also, I don't think that the fact that now you could just hold the A button instead of pressing it will make it super easy. All it'll do is, like jambre said, is keep an "A" from being imprinted on your thumb.:chuckle:
Holding A can still be severly punished. And Pyroloserkid, I highly doubt Brawl's going to be that simple.

SilverFang

Smash Cadet
So far I'm happy with the updates and I think it will be a great game. However like some people said before I hope they don't make the game too easy. I don't mind if you can hold A or keep pressing it but I hope they don't overdo the simplifying.

Radagascar

Smash Cadet
I'm really hoping they have a good online mode. My main concern is that it doesn't have the competitive level of play that smash has. Some guy above me sums it up well. A shell of utter simplicity with an inner core of hard to master complexity. I pray they do a good job with this and make it a better version of Melee.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I can deal with waiting when it comes to Brawl. They just have to make sure they do an excellent job on it and make it the best Smash Bros. game ever. I believe they can do just that.

C00P

Smash Cadet
I have read in two different sources... and I think one was a confrence with Shigaru (Mario Creator) right before E3 that two games coming out soon were designed specifically with the hardcore gamer in mind. Those two games were Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros. Shigaru noted the fact that the newer wii games were tailord to the "Newer Audience" aka. "Console Noobs" and then fact that these are two gamers created for those who are more familiar with the controller and how games work.

Hope it's all true

SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
This game will deffinetly be one of Nintendo's greatest games. I have no doubts about this.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I'd also like to add that I believe SSBB will be the most balanced in the series with Sakurai having "balance in mind".

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It looks awesome.

All I need is the reconfirmation of Luigi, and the confirmation of Isaac as a PC and I'd be like "This might just be the best game ever created in all existence."

Melee holds that position right now... IMO.

Puffs

Smash Ace
Only thing that's disappointed me is the abundance of Twilight Princess spoilers.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I'm thinking Brawl looks pretty **** good so far. Some of the new elements like the footstool jumping might be a little weird and can take sometime to get used to. But since I wasn't a very big player of Melee I should be able to adjust quickly.

I'm going to be mad if there are some characters that don't make it that I want though..

-Onyx

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
How do you guys feel about brawl so far? With Diddy Kong, Zero Suit Samus etc. I'm kinda happy so far with the updates and all. But with some of the new characters. I kinda feel it might mess up the game because there might be only one character that has like a attack thats fast and stuff. What do you guys think?
Che.....speak for yourself bro. I'm not exactly mad with the Brawl just yet, or the updates. I'm kind of "so so" if you know where I'm getting at. It's mainly because all of these comic relief characters that are updated with the exception of Ike. coughcoughpeteycoughcoughyoshicoughcoughhowtoplaycoughcoughspicycurrycoughcoughneedIgooncoughcough.

*sniff* Somethins goin around.....:cool:

FoxMcloudFan01

Smash Rookie
i hope they add tournaments and ranking because its cool 2 see where u r compared 2 thousands of other players, anyway im da best in my city and i want 2 test my skills against da world so i hope they have ranking and a fournament system

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
i hope they add tournaments and ranking because its cool 2 see where u r compared 2 thousands of other players, anyway im da best in my city and i want 2 test my skills against da world so i hope they have ranking and a fournament system
What city? got any videos? (just curious)

CartooN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CartoooN
It looks realy awesome. But Im just worried.
The only worry for me is, smash bros melee was quite a competitive game. And Nintendo has already said things like "We want everyone to be able to play this" when concerning many old and competitive wii sequels.
Like the new mario kart at E3. They said they will be adding things to make a mario kart pro player equivilent to a mario kart newy.
But i dont want that, my worry is that somthing similar will happen to brawl.
They will remove the diffculty and make it a very basic, simple game. For the people who havent played before.

Hopefully this wont be the case and if its not, brawl i think will be as awesome as melee.

Crayola

Smash Cadet
I'm amazed by it. The amount of effort Sakurai and the Smash Team is pouring into this game is ASTOUNDING. They're really catering for the fans, this time round. All games should be developed like this.

Top Bottom