• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Do You Deal With Angry Players?

Sarth

Smash Rookie
Today during the Evo stream I watched a guy lose a match and punch his leg pretty hard and didn't think to much of it. But after work today I was playing with a friend in PM and he did the same thing and also threw his controller to the floor. Usually I brush it off, but it kind of bothered me today.

How do you all deal with angry players? I've yet to encounter it in any sort of tournament setting, but my one practice partner is very angry when he plays. Not just when he loses either, in fact he rarely gets angry at the loss, but at himself for not playing the way he wanted to be playing. It makes me not want to play with him, but he's good competition and great for practicing so I usually let it go or try to be positive, but I feel like not addressing it will only further his bad habit.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I typically let my friends know that they're welcome to get their own controllers (if they're using mine, which they usually are). Aside from that, though, it's a matter of personality for some players. Just try to make sure there's stuff besides game hardware for them to take frustration out on.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I often get upset at myself for not performing as well as I want to, specifically in 1v1 games. I rarely, if ever get upset in team games.

Anyway, when that happens I usually announce that I'm flustered in that moment, and wash it away with a smile and a nod, and maybe a stretch and a deep breath. It's not worth being upset. Nipping it in the bud and not letting it become a huge elephant in the room seems to be the best course of action, and I generally try to be honest about things so why not that?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I have this same problem with a guy I know. He's about 16 er so and I told him, he has gotta stop doing that. I also told him, it makes me feel uncomfortable. I don't say that all the time, just the one time. After a while, I think he stopped caring about playing with me. He will still get mad to this day, it just takes a bit longer and I think he cools down at some point of the session. In the past, after he kept up the whole, "me mad, me hate, me hit self" act, He would just stop playing. I guess that's better, but it reminds me of crazy eyes beating herself up, from, "Orange is the new Black." Granted, I am a much better player than him and if he does something(s) that I can punish all day, I will say something about it, so he won't do it again. I usually wait till after the match or wait a few games to see if it's a habit for him.

Can't say I know how to remedy the problem. Because informing them about it and letting them know, it makes you feel uncomfortable, doesn't work. Not in my case anyway.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
switch your tag to "UMAD?"

edit: then commence with doing the trolliest things you can, especially if they win.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Some of my friends rage pretty hard.

Generally, I tell them to hold shield while picking Bowser and give them a game or so to f*ck everyone up and lose their anger.

Fortress

Smash Master
Keep doing what you're doing. Make an effort to exploit anything and everything, and show them what a huge, broken mess their choice of beating was, and make them regret having zero options against you from start-to-finish. That's what fight games boil down to.

You can also do what I did: be miserable, break about five controllers, lose your friends, go to a tournament with a new attitude, find yourself, take top five randomly after being interviewed and saying you expect no higher than bottom 40%, have a blast, stop being a douche, reacquire friends, play better than ever, learn to bake mini pizzas for guests.

Last edited:

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I get pretty angry during matches, but I always calm down once the match is over. For people who stay mad, I try not to aggravate them and try to find something positive in their play style to compliment them on. I've learned though that saying "don't worry about it, it's just a game" doesn't always help, haha.

ZiggaWaTT

Smash Journeyman
In long play sessions, rage is inevitable every once in a while. But normally with me and my friends play sessions it only lasts for a single match then we all laugh it off and then talk about what exactly happened that game then move on to the next game. I would suggest maybe trying that, laughing it off , talking about the game, then moving on. It doesn't always work but more often then not in my case it does.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I tell them "Calm down. Remember, it's either this or Mario Party".

Works every time. ¦3

Iron Jawbone

Servant of Malroth
There are some people who cannot change, and you cannot inform them about because it makes them even more angry. These people will break hardware, and there is nothing you, or anything short of professional help can do for them.

For those that are understandable, taking a break is the best option, because it removes the source of stress. Saying that you're taking a break because they are being angry makes things worse, but play it off like "let's go grab something to eat/drink." "Let's take a break, get outside." ETC. The people stressed out will usually go with this as this gives them an excuse to take a break instead of angrily clinging on to things.

In my case, I don't do things like play when I'm sick, or extremely tired because I get volatile. Sometimes, people just have off days as well.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Ruthlessly exploit that they are irrational, as much as possible. Make it WORSE for them. Blind them into seeing red, and nothing else.

Also, absolutely no tolerance if they are ******** enough to lash out.
Fair is fair; if someone starts throwing punches because they are pissed over a video game, I'm going to put them in the hospital for a long time for their utter childishness. Maybe then they'll learn that video games are absolutely not something to get pissy over.

Your anger should not rule you; you should rule it.
No excuses.

Last edited:

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
"Criticize in private, compliment in public." Next time they get upset and you are alone with them, bring it up. As for the wording, I think it's best to word it in terms of you rather than them.

General rule is if you use the word "you," then they'll be defensive. If they're defensive they aren't really listening or planning on taking what you said to heart. And somewhat understandably so. It's not your job to punish them for their mistakes by making them feel ****ty about what they did, it's your job to let them know what they are doing makes you uncomfortable. That's it.

I'll also say avoid using the word "but," as it completely negates what you said before the that.

Say something like, "I have a lot more fun when neither of us are angry... is it cool if we take a break?"

Avoid things like:
"I find this game frustrating sometimes too, but it's a lot more fun if we aren't angry when we play.
or
"I have a lot more fun playing smash when you're not angry."

They won't change instantly. Nobody does. But as long as you don't treat them like **** for it and keep asking to take a break or something when they get pissed, they will get the picture that they need to adjust their attitude, and while progress can be slow and is not always forward, they will work at it. At least that's my experience.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
"Criticize in private, compliment in public." Next time they get upset and you are alone with them, bring it up. As for the wording, I think it's best to word it in terms of you rather than them.

General rule is if you use the word "you," then they'll be defensive. If they're defensive they aren't really listening or planning on taking what you said to heart. And somewhat understandably so. It's not your job to punish them for their mistakes by making them feel ****ty about what they did, it's your job to let them know what they are doing makes you uncomfortable. That's it.

I'll also say avoid using the word "but," as it completely negates what you said before the that.

Say something like, "I have a lot more fun when neither of us are angry... is it cool if we take a break?"

Avoid things like:
"I find this game frustrating sometimes too, but it's a lot more fun if we aren't angry when we play.
or
"I have a lot more fun playing smash when you're not angry."

They won't change instantly. Nobody does. But as long as you don't treat them like **** for it and keep asking to take a break or something when they get pissed, they will get the picture that they need to adjust their attitude, and while progress can be slow and is not always forward, they will work at it. At least that's my experience.
well, if it's a friend or someone you want to be able to interact with consistently and positively for the long term, this is good advice. otherwise, just let them rage, rico suave them afterwards, and let the either learn or get themselves ostracized on their own accord.

kinda like what this guy said : p
Shut your hippie mouth you touchy feely whore

Exodo

Smash Ace
You cant... is impossible, ragers will always be ragers, i learned that the bad way...

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
In the last tournament we had in Brazil a guy broke a chair after losing a Melee Singles set to another guy he didn't want to lose to.
Was hilarious, he basically grabbed the chair and aplied Falcon's F-throw but with a lot more damage and knockback.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
man, if you guys don't know eddie, the old school ganon player, you don't know rage...

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
If they're silent friends, you tell em what they're doing wrong and be a brotato.
If they're loud or violent friends, you help em chill or gtfo.
If they're silent strangers, it's none of your care and you can just **** em in the ass for choking so hard.
If they're loud or violent strangers, it's none of your care and you treat em like the dangerous toddler they're being.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Ruthlessly exploit that they are irrational, as much as possible. Make it WORSE for them. Blind them into seeing red, and nothing else.
One time a friend was getting visibly upset about something because he didn't understand how a game mechanic worked. Something about the edge. He just kept on ******** about it for a few minutes after I kept trying to explain exactly how it works and that it was working just as intended. The whole room got quiet for a solid 5 seconds after his last verbal attack towards the game, and I turned to him and calmly said... "umad?" It clearly got to him as the most incendiary catalyst of all time rofl. His response was amazing.

"YEAH I'M MAD!! A;ISDFJA;JKDF;ALJD F;LAKSDJF ;KLAJSD;FKLHJASEIO;PFHASDL;CJASIEHOF (incoherrent rabble)" and proceeds to walk out the front door, slam it and yell "SORRY" about the door as he proceeded to get in his car and go home rofl.

He's still a massive ***** to this day.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
One time a friend was getting visibly upset about something because he didn't understand how a game mechanic worked. Something about the edge. He just kept on *****ing about it for a few minutes after I kept trying to explain exactly how it works and that it was working just as intended. The whole room got quiet for a solid 5 seconds after his last verbal attack towards the game, and I turned to him and calmly said... "umad?" It clearly got to him as the most incendiary catalyst of all time rofl. His response was amazing.

"YEAH I'M MAD!! A;ISDFJA;JKDF;ALJD F;LAKSDJF ;KLAJSD;FKLHJASEIO;PFHASDL;CJASIEHOF (incoherrent rabble)" and proceeds to walk out the front door, slam it and yell "SORRY" about the door as he proceeded to get in his car and go home rofl.

He's still a massive ***** to this day.
That's the idea.

Relevant quote, from Ender's Game:
“He could see Bonzo's anger growing hot. Hot anger was bad.
Ender's anger was cold, and he could use it.
Bonzo's was hot, and so it used him.

The bolded is exactly why letting yourself get salty is not only petty and childish, but self-defeating.
Your rage should be fuel for the fire, not a blaze out of your control.

Trust me, folks; things work out far better when anger is a motivation rather than something making a mess of yourself.
Also, it's FAR more intimidating.
Heh.

For instance, a silent glare just about always has people physically flinching away wide-eyed and tense.
Screaming bloody murder, not so much.
Sound gives away your location, too.

Tranquil fury >>>>>>.

Last edited:

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Today during the Evo stream I watched a guy lose a match and punch his leg pretty hard and didn't think to much of it. But after work today I was playing with a friend in PM and he did the same thing and also threw his controller to the floor. Usually I brush it off, but it kind of bothered me today.

How do you all deal with angry players? I've yet to encounter it in any sort of tournament setting, but my one practice partner is very angry when he plays. Not just when he loses either, in fact he rarely gets angry at the loss, but at himself for not playing the way he wanted to be playing. It makes me not want to play with him, but he's good competition and great for practicing so I usually let it go or try to be positive, but I feel like not addressing it will only further his bad habit.

Just ignore it. I have a friend who gets pretty pissy when we play, especially when he has a massive advantage and people just suddenly make comebacks against him that he wasn't expecting. Personally I usually just poker face it, and pay it no mind at all. I think everyone gets frustrated, as long as you don't throw my controllers then you can be as pissy as you want.

Kati

Smash Lord
Depends on the anger and what it is directed at. A mistake? sympathy can help. Losing? advice can help. No obvious target? maybe they are frustrated about something outside of smash so just chit chatting, etc.

One dude I started playing with inflates the results of matches. Being two stocked has nothing to do with destruction, so I challenged his view called him out for being so negative. It wasn't open sympathy like "there there, it's okay," but rather like teasing for his own good.

Rizner

Smash Ace
I see a lot of people here saying ignore it, or even that it's ok because they or someone they know is just as bad or worse. Imo, this shouldn't be accepted as regular behavior. Friendlies aren't as fun, tournament sets get stupid, and new members are turned off from the scene.
Just talk to them. If it's friendlies and there are others to pay with, just say you're not enjoying this and find someone else to play. If it's just you and them, say they need to calm their **** because it's stupid and childish.
The worst thing to see at a tournament is an adult throwing a temper tantrum, and the worst type of set to play is that against someone who is angry the entire time.
Realistically, there are regions and tournaments I probably won't go back to because a handful of people that are there are dumb to play with.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Aww thats a shame. Tell me about his/her legendary salt levels, did they exceed kiraflax/k9's?
don't know those two guys, but at a tg, he damn near threw a chair through a big flat screen tv when he lost a loser's semifinals match (to be fair, that was 50% rage, 50% why did we have items on, smh...).

himemiya

Smash Lord
don't know those two guys, but at a tg, he damn near threw a chair through a big flat screen tv when he lost a loser's semifinals match (to be fair, that was 50% rage, 50% why did we have items on, smh...).
(kira in a nutshell)

k9 in action

And then theres bloodcross

But to throw a chair at a tv for loosing? why didn't we have yt back then? The part where google doesn't own it of course. that rager seems to out tier kira according to your description.

Last edited:

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Which one of these two are you talking about? I've seen K9 play in person, and he strikes me as the quiet rage type lol. I regardless though, throwing a chair that a little ridiculous.

Top Bottom