• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Do You Deal With Angry Players?

Stompu

Smash Apprentice
You can, its called admitting their better then you. You can still respect a person after a loss, isn't that what sportsmanship is about?
Also this, no reason to hate on them, even if the circumstances of their victory were slightly dodgy. Just accept that they were better on the day and respect their game

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
>Be Sonic
>Taunt cancel "Come on, step it up!" endlessly
>????
>Profit
I think you mean "YOUR TOO SLOW!"
What you need to do is taunt cancel in the middle of your combos. So like side B into slide, knock them off the stage, run off the stage and say "You're too slow!" as you drive them into the abyss with a forward air. Enough of those and you'll get some controller throwin'.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
What you need to do is taunt cancel in the middle of your combos. So like side B into slide, knock them off the stage, run off the stage and say "You're too slow!" as you drive them into the abyss with a forward air. Enough of those and you'll get some controller throwin'.
LOL how funny! (Not). Deliberately trying to make people angry isn't funny.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
My girlfriend's campus sometimes holds "LAN Parties", where they play a bunch of games semi-competitively. (Unfortunately, they only play Brawl as far as Smash goes. :\) Anyway, there's always a guy there that FREAKS THE **** out when he loses, like throwing his chair or beating himself in the face.

Can I ask what part of making an idiot out of yourself makes losing feel better?

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
My girlfriend's campus sometimes holds "LAN Parties", where they play a bunch of games semi-competitively. (Unfortunately, they only play Brawl as far as Smash goes. :\) Anyway, there's always a guy there that FREAKS THE **** out when he loses, like throwing his chair or beating himself in the face.

Can I ask what part of making an idiot out of yourself makes losing feel better?
He needs help

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
LOL how funny! (Not). Deliberately trying to make people angry isn't funny.
My apologies for not taking a video game as seriously as some people who feel it's necessary to throw their controller when they lose. If losing and character taunts makes someone that unhappy, then maybe they should play something that does make them happy. Or they shouldn't play with me because I like to have fun.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
This happened to me today, a guy by the name of Xion was doing taunt cancels while bopping my Marth and Toon Link.

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
In long play sessions, rage is inevitable every once in a while. But normally with me and my friends play sessions it only lasts for a single match then we all laugh it off and then talk about what exactly happened that game then move on to the next game. I would suggest maybe trying that, laughing it off , talking about the game, then moving on. It doesn't always work but more often then not in my case it does.
SSON u know we fite all the time

See this is what we do

We go outside and peel off our shirts

We like "SSON u goin down m8, u watch & lrn m8, u havin a giggle?"

Then we fite

Then after 1st aid (cuz we all nerds, no buff for hospital) we hold unforgivable grudges and bitterly boot up PM

U don't believe me?

In all seriousness we just don't struggle with rage that I have seen, BUT I know some ragey fools and I recommend asking if they are mad at YOU.

If they are, that is a problem and you need to address it as it comes. This is rarely the case (I haven't seen it). If not, ask about going for a run, exercising. Anger can naturally dissipate with exertion, and then when you are tired go enjoy some PM. If they still get mad go run

Pretty soon either you are endurance runners or (what I always find) just as out of shape as ever and not raging.

Yeah, last time I just made him use his own ****ty poverty controller since he kept throwing mine on the ground.
People getting angry just makes everything awkward, never really knew how to deal with it. The guy I usually play with makes johns literally (literally) every time he loses "oh I never use that character anyway"/"I dont know why my controller wasnt responding"/"Oh I was just used to how it worked in (other Smash game)"/"Oh well you're really good with that character anyway" etc.
I just learn to ignore it, I never make excuses since it kind of brings down the other persons victory.
Dude I pull johns all the time

Zigs has more reason than me though XD Peach v Ike

And he doesn't john that I notice but, I am slow ;)

I must practice this arcane magic

"La la la la la, la!" -fair, dsmashing edgeguard, bair, uair, possibilities endless

Is evil of smash bros

Last edited:

Phyanketto

Smash Cadet
Out of curiosity... As someone who has a tendency to get mad (not like the people in this thread, but mad enough)... How do you deal with that rage?

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Smash =/= group therapy for anger management. Either they get themselves under control or they leave. Players who can't keep their temper in check are a problem for the group as a whole.

For everyone else, nothing wrong with a little friendly ribbing. It'll come back to you in time, all part of the fun.

lalalalalala
lalalalalala
lalalalalala

Ohhh, did I win~?

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
Out of curiosity... As someone who has a tendency to get mad (not like the people in this thread, but mad enough)... How do you deal with that rage?
So there are a number of ways. Mine (those who know me, you bet I rage!) is actually "meditative". Not easy but practicable.

Straight-up it will work now methods though include all forms of exercise, especially punching bag use, destroying things (in the orient they have booths with tons if cheap plates and plexiglass; guess what they are for?) throwing things (go play catch!) kicking things (soccer, punching bag) running. Sitting still let's adrenaline go unused.

Smash =/= group therapy for anger management. Either they get themselves under control or they leave. Players who can't keep their temper in check are a problem for the group as a whole.

For everyone else, nothing wrong with a little friendly ribbing. It'll come back to you in time, all part of the fun.

lalalalalala
lalalalalala
lalalalalala

Ohhh, did I win~?
lmao Peach immaturity FTW

Hilarious to me how she is so mature about being immature

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I think the hardest thing is playing good in tourney when your opponent is scaring you with their temper; especially when it's your Wii they might be pulling off the table. They need to play against some intimidating body builder that just says "Calm the f down"

It's an instinct to get angry at whoever beats you at anything.

I used to make excuses all the time and I still get very angry when I lose, but I've learned to shake my opponent's hand while cursing their entire family and their future bloodline on my mind. You should help people control themselves, not make them explode, that's sick and horrible, and makes you look like an etilist who looks down on anyone worse at the game.

If you're a normal human being, you'll never view the person who just defeated you under a positive light, that's a fact.
That's you. There's various times myself and others have awe and inspiration from getting owned by someone. It's about being able to appreciate what they're doing, which is often analyzing and caring to read and counter you more than you might care to analyze yourself.

You do have to be in a decent state of play to truly appreciate, never feeling at your full potential with a bad controller and bad sleep and such. You also have to be at the level where you can give people a challenge where they do need to analyze you, which is mostly having your tech skill down. Some people don't like to spend time on practicing tech (I enjoy it at least to an extent http://smashboards.com/posts/17098767/ ), but you don't need that much though to be at a point where you'll expand upon it when you play with others; especially compared to any other sport, craft, or fighting game.

Then there's losing to something that's hard to appreciate, not being combo'd and read to death but instead camped and timed out, or feel the match up is horrid. Pick up one of the dozens of all viable characters that might mitigate the style of interaction you don't like.

THEN there's also people being sore losers, where they actually might be better than their opponent and usually are but being a stinker on them instead of encouraging them for winning with a little luck their first tournament of their life. Even if the player who won might be overproud of themselves for luck or unfair circumstances (celebrating their victory like they should be), if you don't believe they're gonna win another tourney again then you might be right; but then why are you gonna show yourself to be a super baby by trying to tell them that to make yourself feel better.

That's not the same as someone pressing taunt against a player who's known to get upset over it, that's a plain ego weakness you might want to exploit in tourney lol.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I think the hardest thing is playing good in tourney when your opponent is scaring you with their temper; especially when it's your Wii they might be pulling off the table. They need to play against some intimidating body builder that just says "Calm the f down"

That's you. There's various times myself and others have awe and inspiration from getting owned by someone. It's about being able to appreciate what they're doing, which is often analyzing and caring to read and counter you more than you might care to analyze yourself.

You do have to be in a decent state of play to truly appreciate, never feeling at your full potential with a bad controller and bad sleep and such. You also have to be at the level where you can give people a challenge where they do need to analyze you, which is mostly having your tech skill down. Some people don't like to spend time on practicing tech (I enjoy it at least to an extent http://smashboards.com/posts/17098767/ ), but you don't need that much though to be at a point where you'll expand upon it when you play with others; especially compared to any other sport, craft, or fighting game.

Then there's losing to something that's hard to appreciate, not being combo'd and read to death but instead camped and timed out, or feel the match up is horrid. Pick up one of the dozens of all viable characters that might mitigate the style of interaction you don't like.

THEN there's also people being sore losers, where they actually might be better than their opponent and usually are but being a stinker on them instead of encouraging them for winning with a little luck their first tournament of their life. Even if the player who won might be overproud of themselves for luck or unfair circumstances (celebrating their victory like they should be), if you don't believe they're gonna win another tourney again then you might be right; but then you're gonna show yourself to be a super baby by trying to tell them that to make yourself feel better.

That's not the same as someone pressing taunt against a player who's known to get upset over it, that's a plain ego weakness you might want to exploit in tourney lol.
No, losing's the worst possible thing that can happen to a human being, there's no feeling quite as horrible as losing to someone, no matter why you lost or how you lost, if you fought to the end or barely tried, it's all worthless if you lose in the end, the game itself isn't a fun experience at all, neither is to have to put effort into beating someone, the fun part is winning. And no, I'm not willing to do techs, that's too much work for a game that isn't even fun to play.
So there are a number of ways. Mine (those who know me, you bet I rage!) is actually "meditative". Not easy but practicable.

Straight-up it will work now methods though include all forms of exercise, especially punching bag use, destroying things (in the orient they have booths with tons if cheap plates and plexiglass; guess what they are for?) throwing things (go play catch!) kicking things (soccer, punching bag) running. Sitting still let's adrenaline go unused.

lmao Peach immaturity FTW

Hilarious to me how she is so mature about being immature
Working on your rage it's like saying it's a bad thing, you have every bit of right to rage if someone beats you. Even if they take off a single stock.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
I tend to get a bit angry at a loss, however I just laugh and smile. I'll make excuses sometimes, while still laughing, the trick is to not take it too seriously. Tell your friend that he needs to calm down, and that you understand that he's angry. Also, you need to help find an option beside anger for them. Point out their mistakes or laugh when you lose. They'll learn.

MACKU

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I try to laugh at it during a match if a player gets angry. Anger tends to lead to sloppier play, and people not taking your anger seriously tends to make things worse for whoever is playing grumpy.

Afterwards I'll point it out to them and suggest they work on it.

Last edited:

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
No, losing's the worst possible thing that can happen to a human being, there's no feeling quite as horrible as losing to someone, no matter why you lost or how you lost, if you fought to the end or barely tried, it's all worthless if you lose in the end, the game itself isn't a fun experience at all, neither is to have to put effort into beating someone, the fun part is winning. And no, I'm not willing to do techs, that's too much work for a game that isn't even fun to play.

Working on your rage it's like saying it's a bad thing, you have every bit of right to rage if someone beats you. Even if they take off a single stock.
"I rage and there is nothing wrong with that

In fact the problem is trying to control it or vent the chemical naturally"

?¿?¿ you are addicted to winning. Losing is not worse than torture without reason.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
"I rage and there is nothing wrong with that

In fact the problem is trying to control it or vent the chemical naturally"

?¿?¿ you are addicted to winning. Losing is not worse than torture without reason.
Who's not addicted to winning?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Working on your rage it's like saying it's a bad thing, you have every bit of right to rage if someone beats you. Even if they take one stock.
Let's not, give anyone any ideas. I really think rage should at least be saved for ether the loss or on those rare occasions when something wack happens.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Angry people suck.

Determined people are cool.

know the difference.

I don't want to be offensive.

But please don't play smash with me.

I'd hate to know you aren't enjoying yourself just because you lose.

Last edited:

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
You can't really change their frustration at the game. Inevitably how your friend reacts to the conclusion of the game is something he will deal with on his own. While you may not have any say in how he gets over his frustration, you can express how this bothers you at a time when he isn't so mad. Or, you can ask him, "doesn't that hurt?" when he pounds himself. Of course, while frustration is unhealthy, he needs some way to vent. Though that isn't to say that excessive reaction to frustration is ok. But back on topic, the means of dealing with frustration is not in your control. It is in his control. To deal with it better, he will either need to vent in a less self-destructive(?) way, or learn to not feel so bad after a loss or anything like that, but this is up to him and how maturely he wishes to handle it.

By the way, you can compliment their game when you win. Name some good points. Just so long as they are civil, you can deal with them. But for those who get violent towards others or to those around them, you either have be super strict to the point where you have to have them kicked out of a venue, you yourself leave if it's their property, etc., or you can just leave them to themselves since you, having just beaten them being witness to their defeat, have, in their minds, no legitimate right to say anything to them about how they act. Leave the crazy ones be, or kick them out.

Last edited:

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
When you lose in Smash, especially if you lose badly, that means that there's an entire dimension of the game waiting for you to discover, learn, practice, and/or improve upon. That's awe-inspiring to me and keeps me playing the game even more. If something that incredible makes you angry, then:
I don't want to be offensive.

But please don't play smash with me.

I'd hate to know you aren't enjoying yourself just because you lose.

Zx2963

Smash Journeyman
When you lose in Smash, especially if you lose badly, that means that there's an entire dimension of the game waiting for you to discover, learn, practice, and/or improve upon. That's awe-inspiring to me and keeps me playing the game even more. If something that incredible makes you angry, then:
This, I actually like losing badly, otherwise I'd never get better. Only time I get slightly annoyed when I lose is losing to someone much worse then myself, but I played very poorly

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
When I lose

I peel off my shirt and-

I mean, I begin the thinks... Zigawatt already said what we do, heck I should find out if the other guys are on here

Maria

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lulu-lovey
In my younger days, we'd have parties at my house and most kids would want to play on my consoles. I remember this one kid lost to me and he got mad, threw MY controller on the ground and kicked my N64. I stood up and pushed him into my closet. I'm sure now that I'm older, I'd either piss the person off more but if they threw my controller on the ground, they would most likely end up being shoved into closet (or fireplace).

In a tournament setting, I'd stare at the person and hope I don't get punched.

Last edited:

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
In my younger days, we'd have parties at my house and most kids would want to play on my consoles. I remember this one kid lost to me and he got mad, threw MY controller on the ground and kicked my N64. I stood up and pushed him into my closet. I'm sure now that I'm older, I'd either piss the person off more but if they threw my controller on the ground, they would most likely end up being shoved into closet (or fireplace).

In a tournament setting, I'd stare at the person and hope I don't get punched.
Child abuse!-

Wait

Can a child perform child abuse?

...hijole

I remember I would just watch it happen and see if it landed upright, if so I didn't care (nice thick carpets) but if it was upside down I would actually shout NEVER LET IT LAND LIKE THAT TURN IT OVER OR YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO SMASH WALK OR FLY THAT DIRECTION AGAIN! AND MY DAD WILL KILL YOU AND GRIPE ABOUT TARGET AND NINTENDO AGAIN AND I WILL BLAME YOU!

First world problems lol

My dad had already bought three (system came with two) so would (not quite understandably) chew out my guests for a good 10 minutes if he caught them do this. Not yell like me but a big angry lecture.

Last edited:

GOLDENMOP

Smash Cadet
Give em' a salt shaker and see how they react...
Nah just kidding, my brother gets really salty(A.K.A Angry) when he loses in smash, the sad/funny part is that when we play melee he doesn't quite understand technical knowledge of the game so usually he loses, if you cant tell, I'm basically saying I'm better than him (SHOTSFIRED). But my best advice would to be either to stop playing against them, flat out tell them that you are getting sick of their frustration, or, if you really want to, you could give them some playing advice, if they are constantly losing, maybe if you tell them what they are doing wrong, and they win a few matches, they'll have more confidence in their skills at the game and won't mind having a balance between winning and losing. Then again, I only have one experience with playing against a raging player, so maybe my advice is wrong. But if you wanted to never play that player ever again, give them a salt shaker after the match and say nothing.(Don't do that last one, It'll only tick them off even more)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude

Please tell me you're joking. This has to be some sick sort of joke or sarcasm or something. All I see is an excruciatingly high amount of futility and someone who has absolutely nothing of fulfillment to seek in his/her life. It is beyond me that you would even play a game in general if this is the mindset you put on.

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
depends on what they do, if they spam the entire match i just quit. If they aren't spamming you just have to realize you are doing something wrong that needs fixing.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
This incites more rage. Good advice.
Fixed.

The more irrational someone gets, the worse they get at thinking, therefore, playing.
And if they wanna make something happen? Let them. They'll be leaving the venue in an ambulance, or a body bag.
You can't win in Smash, or an actual fight.

Exploit that they will lose their cool to the absolute maximum.
You should have no zero tolerance for those with hair triggers, the same way they would with you.
Fair is fair.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Fixed.

The more irrational someone gets, the worse they get at thinking, therefore, playing.
And if they wanna make something happen? Let them. They'll be leaving the venue in an ambulance, or a body bag.
You can't win in Smash, or an actual fight.

Exploit that they will lose their cool to the absolute maximum.
You should have no zero tolerance for those with hair triggers, the same way they would with you.
Fair is fair.
The edges on this post was so sharp that I almost got cut in real life.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
The edges on this post was so sharp that I almost got cut in real life.
Good.
That's the general idea.

People know their place far faster when you act, not speak.
Talk is cheap, anyway.

Last edited:

Iron Jawbone

Servant of Malroth
I know that some of you are just trolling, and I'm not excusing the poor losers, but to the internet tough guys who honestly believe this about people with serious rage disorders; "Any1 who steps up to me because their a babby at the game is gon get rekt lol haha" might be in for the nastiest surprise. They will not care where they are, they will not care about the consequences. Unless you really are fighter man, you'll probably get your face smashed in, and then probably be rightfully banned from the venue.

This is not a threat, insult, or challenge; this is just a real warning to those who have never seen what can happen.

To people who say "Tell them to get over it, it's just a game," you have to remember that anger causes people to not think straight.
Sometimes, diffusing anger is important.
Thank you for having reason and an understanding that humans are complex creatures.

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
I know that some of you are just trolling, and I'm not excusing the poor losers, but to the internet tough guys who honestly believe this about people with serious rage disorders; "Any1 who steps up to me because their a babby at the game is gon get rekt lol haha" might be in for the nastiest surprise. They will not care where they are, they will not care about the consequences. Unless you really are fighter man, you'll probably get your face smashed in, and then probably be rightfully banned from the venue.

This is not a threat, insult, or challenge; this is just a real warning to those who have never seen what can happen.

Thank you for having reason and an understanding that humans are complex creatures.
Correct; running can and does work if they don't refuse to run with you.

Tact and patience also help.

WearyGamer

Smash Rookie
depends on what they do, if they spam the entire match i just quit. If they aren't spamming you just have to realize you are doing something wrong that needs fixing.
^Definitely this. I personally have a bit of an anger problem as well, and this is definitely the way to go. Once you lose your temper, you have already lost anyway. There is much more class in admitting your loss than going nuclear on a stranger, or, even worse, a good friend.

Also, if you have a friend with the same issue, wait for them to calm down before you confront them about it. To some people, myself included, it will only make them angrier if you bring it up while they are still salty. If they aren't your friend, there is nothing you can say or do to change them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom