• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I fight a Rosalina player?

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
Can you guys give me some information about how to fight Rosalina & luma? What are her biggest weaknesses? I feel like I'm always losing to R&L players. What moves should I watch out for? I know you guys won't wanna give away your strategies and stuff but I want to stand Toe to Toe with Rosalina players.

Generally and this applies for all characters, you really should try to not stay in between Rosa and Luma that much. Also, this is a case of "easier said than done" but you have to handle the luma first then go for Rosalina

Yeah. That's all I can say as a crappy R&L player

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
Generally and this applies for all characters, you really should try to not stay in between Rosa and Luma that much. Also, this is a case of "easier said than done" but you have to handle the luma first then go for Rosalina

Yeah. That's all I can say as a crappy R&L player
Well every time I go for luma I tend to get punished for it. a few days ago I fought an incredible R&L player who would pretty much punish every attempt I made to kill luma.

Well every time I go for luma I tend to get punished for it. a few days ago I fought an incredible R&L player who would pretty much punish every attempt I made to kill luma.
Like I said, easier said than done

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I can't help you either lol
I've changed my mind about her and now think she is within the top tier.

It really is easier said then done when fighting a very good Rosalina.
All of her "obvious" weaknesses are not so abusable. Her huge hitbox, floatiness, and light weight would suggest she is a glass cannon so offensive rushdown after dealing with Luma seems optimal. But the defense Luma grants cannot be underestimated and it IS very easy for me to punish people who try to kill Luma. I'm not even a Rosalina main and I'd say I'm only mediocre. Even if he does die, he respawns in a mere 8 seconds. Worst case scenario, I can stall briefly until Luma respawns.

Not to mention her excellent ground and aerial moveset. Despite what some have said, I really don't think she's helpless solo.

Last edited:

brentendo

Smash Rookie
I played 1v1 with an equally skilled player (we were even win/loss when I faced his/her other characters), but got destroyed when Rosaline was brought out. Couldn't do a thing to. The closest I got is with Charizard.

I used Charizard's Rock Smash to get a super armor hit in, and then took advantage when it connected, usually by spamming flare blitz. Got Rosalina KOed once and down to 100% or so before I lost.

Again it's not really a good strategy, but that's the best I've done.

Last edited:

Ink Foxclaw

Smash Rookie
I literally made an account to say that she is absolutely horrible against characters that get in your face, like Zero Suit and Shiek. I've been having an absolutely absurd amount of success by playing her in For Glory. Almost all of my losses are Shiek's and ZSS'. It's also worth noting that I throw a mini party in my head whenever I'm matched up against a Bowser or Gannondorf. She seems very good against these characters. If you get her to an edge, it's very easy to knock Luma off which gives you a good 10 seconds for (mostly) free damage. Most of my combos involve Luma in one way or another.

From experience, The best option as RosaLuma when Luma is MIA is Dthrow into Fair. It's very safe and doesn't require Luma, so be aware of this. Make sure to vector this, obviously.

For edgeguarding as her, I either set luma on the stage at the very edge and spam Dtilt, or if you're launched, I will try to land a Fair while you're near the edge of the screen. This kills at around 70%, so watch out for those too.

One last thing. If you throw Rosalina, chances are Luma will get left behind. It is so easy to get a free hit (and huge knock up) just from this alone, and I can't tell you how many combos I've started from this stupid mistake people make.

I hope I helped man. There's a lot to look out for.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Pick rosalina, theres no other reliable options it seems.

Imo its week 2 after the international release, just have fun and experiment and you might learn some stuff on your own, its usually far better getting to understand the game on your own rather then rather resort to other players advice, of course advice can be nice but basing a characterchoice on it might be a very big thing to let other choose for you.

Last edited:

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
I literally made an account to say that she is absolutely horrible against characters that get in your face, like Zero Suit and Shiek. I've been having an absolutely absurd amount of success by playing her in For Glory. Almost all of my losses are Shiek's and ZSS'. It's also worth noting that I throw a mini party in my head whenever I'm matched up against a Bowser or Gannondorf. She seems very good against these characters. If you get her to an edge, it's very easy to knock Luma off which gives you a good 10 seconds for (mostly) free damage. Most of my combos involve Luma in one way or another.

From experience, The best option as RosaLuma when Luma is MIA is Dthrow into Fair. It's very safe and doesn't require Luma, so be aware of this. Make sure to vector this, obviously.

For edgeguarding as her, I either set luma on the stage at the very edge and spam Dtilt, or if you're launched, I will try to land a Fair while you're near the edge of the screen. This kills at around 70%, so watch out for those too.

One last thing. If you throw Rosalina, chances are Luma will get left behind. It is so easy to get a free hit (and huge knock up) just from this alone, and I can't tell you how many combos I've started from this stupid mistake people make.

I hope I helped man. There's a lot to look out for.
So in other words, pick some of the other couple top tier characters - that's your only option.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Well from my experience as playing as her you play against them very similarly to ice climbers from brawl.

-You force her to approach if you can by throwing projectiles with low cooldowns. If luma gets hit she will have to resync.

-If that doesnt work space out tilts or such so that youll hit luma and rack up some damage as luma cant sheild/dodge. It will prob desync them too.

-She has barely any options when being juggled, exploit it.

-She has this little bubble of space that extends roughly a small distance ahead and behind her that she can make everything she does safe by desyncing/spacing luma, if you get into this you will take some damage. Her Autocancelled air attacks will set up so much stupid crap that its best sometimes to let her screw up herself.

The best characters are Fast ones with Fast projectiles with decent juggling games. Disjointed hitboxes like swords are also very nice or multihit projectiles like PK Fire because Luma cant sidestep.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I literally made an account to say that she is absolutely horrible against characters that get in your face, like Zero Suit and Shiek. I've been having an absolutely absurd amount of success by playing her in For Glory. Almost all of my losses are Shiek's and ZSS'.
I dominated a ZSS today, and won two out of three matches against a Sheik.

She's not horrible against them, you just need to handle them differently. Dodging is your friend, since Rosalina's is amazing.

Ink Foxclaw

Smash Rookie
So in other words, pick some of the other couple top tier characters - that's your only option.
Well I mean I tried to give some insight on the way I personally play her to give you an idea of what to expect. I'm not just sitting here going "ZSS HARD COUNTER WIN EVERY TIME"

WabbitSeason

Smash Cadet
Basically ZSS and Sheik are your only options. Everyone else is either screwed because of projectile nullification or gets outspaced. IMO Rosalina is ridiculously overpowered and owns most of the MU's. Couldn't beat her with Mario, Diddy, LM, Shulk, etc. when I got matched with a good one.

When I tried with Diddy my bananas were always removed instantly and there was no getting near her.

Neos

Smash Cadet
I played in a tournament yesterday and I placed 2nd out of 27 people (lost to TheReflexWonder) so hopefully I'll be able to give you a decent insight for the reason why I lost. In Grand Finals, I managed to win 2 games against Reflex's Wario until he switched to Little Mac. As soon as he switched to Little Mac I fell apart shockingly the rest of the set (not to mention I Up-B'ed the wrong way in the final game because of the lack of getting used to the circle pad :cry:).

So based on what I learned, Little Mac is decent against Rosalina since he can kill her INSANELY early, but you gotta have patience, play the match-up extremely safe and take advantage of being below her (when she's knocked into the air or on a platform above you). This doesn't only apply to Little Mac but for every character versus Rosalina as well. I also lost because Reflex was predicting my moves and Little Mac was strong enough to punish those options. I'm not saying Little Mac is the way out against Rosalina, but I guess you gotta have the right mindset to do well against her. But then again it's TheReflexWonder, he's too good! :laugh:

Another thing, Rosalina is somewhat like Snake from Brawl. She's too good on ground but has a hard time getting back to the stage when knocked off (not to mention she took Snake's Pivot Grab range as well). Also, even though Rosalina's Up-B is so AMAZING, it doesn't hurt people so the best thing to do if possible is to get off the stage and gimp the crap outta her!

One mooorrre thing. I'm starting to believe that Rosalina IS the best character in the game since she's VERY good at covering options and she has advantage against a lot of characters, but this is just a strong opinion. If that's true then apparently it's okay to have a hard time against her.

Hopefully this helped.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just had a lot of trouble against a ZSS today, for two main reasons:

-Down B is ridiculous, gets her out of anything I try to do. I just feel there is no surefire way to approach her because of this move, especially since she can attack out of it and use it in combos.

-Neutral B is way too good at gimping Luma, makes it virtually pointless to bother with Luma Shot.

Neos

Smash Cadet
I just had a lot of trouble against a ZSS today, for two main reasons:

-Down B is ridiculous, gets her out of anything I try to do. I just feel there is no surefire way to approach her because of this move, especially since she can attack out of it and use it in combos.

-Neutral B is way too good at gimping Luma, makes it virtually pointless to bother with Luma Shot.
-Ever tried Up-Smash or Up-tilt to beat Down-B? If not then spot dodge or roll and punish the landing?

-I don't really challenge Neutral B I normally keep doing Gravitational Pull until ZSS approaches. I also hate the fact that when Rosalina dashes towards ZSS with the Luma linked in front of her the Neutral B will stun not only Luma but Rosalina as well.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I can't really recall what I tried on Down B, but it was mostly a nuisance when trying to hit ZSS with aerials. It's not just a great approach, but a great retreat too.

I do GP Neutral B but ZSS's dash attack generally hits me afterward, it's one of the few moves good at countering GP.

Also, that last point you mentioned is no something I realised, but if it does indeed happen, that's very stupid. There's no reason that should be happening. :\

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
At the risk of ruining my recent success over the last 64 games with her, I'll post what I posted on the Diddy Kong page:

As someone who recently moved from Diddy Kong to Rosalina as a main, I find it hardest to deal with play-styles that put immense pressure on me. Rosalina has a fair amount of ending lag to most of her moves. They have good range, knockback, and quick start ups - but if I'm not careful I get punished hard. Your typical Little Macs, Captain Falcons, Yoshis, and Shieks all piss me off with their ability to rush me down. I can typically evade the first one or two obvious attacks, but what makes them excellent rushdown characters is that they have little to no ending lag - which means I find it very hard to punish them after missing they miss once or twice.

The characters and play-styles Rosalina does best against are your typical campy guys. In my experience I've found that I can usually out mind-game everyone that tries to play like this. She has so many tools at her disposal to both approach campers, punish would-be campers, and force habitual campers to approach.

So in sum, my advice: Rush down Rosalina. Don't stop the pressure. As soon as you've got Rosalina and Luma separated and you're hitting Rosalina - you have the advantage. If she recovers and gets Luma by her side again, side B through any walls she puts up and keep pressuring.

Dr.Peace

Smash Rookie
NNID
honestAnarchist
As a Rosalina main, the biggest thing that makes me weaker when fighting in For Glory is when my Luma is taken out. With a pretty decent re-spawn time for luma, I'm left a lot weaker than before. Take that time and attack with all you got to get a stock on them.

Jesse Martinez

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2337-3415-9810
It's tough for a lot of characters, but one major issue a lot of people have is being too impatient. Patience kills, though I can see that in For Glory how it could be an issue considering the time limit. Don't prioritize Luma over everything as well, many people tend to make that mistake; if you can take him out safely then do so, but don't eat free tilts trying to just attack Luma.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I'll second what Jesse Martinez said.

It seems like 90% of the players online will either ignore Luma or over prioritize KOing him (probably because they've been led to believe that Rosalina is a wet paper bag without Luma)
Neither alone is the way to go about beating Rosalina for most characters.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh, a lag switch helps too.

...Seriously though, characters like Rosalina and Sonic cannot afford to have the slightest bit of lag, be it input lag, stuttering, slowdown...just completely messes up the precision needed to play them.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oh, a lag switch helps too.

...Seriously though, characters like Rosalina and Sonic cannot afford to have the slightest bit of lag, be it input lag, stuttering, slowdown...just completely messes up the precision needed to play them.
Hence why online play isn't the best way to develop tier lists.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Lags screw up my Zelda kicks and teleports constantly. As if the circle pad and lack of c-stick wasn't a handicap enough.

I feel like some Little Macs purposely stand as far as possible from their router, etc to make Little Mac that much harder to punish.
I seriously notice a considerable increase in lag often when fighting a Little Mac.
Or I am just paranoid!

Jesse Martinez

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2337-3415-9810
Lags screw up my Zelda kicks and teleports constantly. As if the circle pad and lack of c-stick wasn't a handicap enough.

I feel like some Little Macs purposely stand as far as possible from their router, etc to make Little Mac that much harder to punish.
I seriously notice a considerable increase in lag often when fighting a Little Mac.
Or I am just paranoid!
As someone who played Zelda in Melee and PM, the sweetspot seems to be smaller on her bair and fair, which makes me super sad :(

Last edited:

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Yeah, unfortunately that's transferred over from Brawl.
Allegedly they're easier to land than in Brawl (slightly bigger?) but it's hard to tell until the Wii U version comes out.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, after my experience today against a :4lucario:, I'm absolutely convinced Rosalina cannot take screwy connections, at all. He was able to spam me even though I knew HOW to dodge, and my recovery messed up too many times.

Wii U version when??????

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master

Or I am just paranoid!
No, I'm paranoid.

I'll see myself out.

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021
I'm a meta knight user so when i'm using him I usually get caught in this bad match up. Meta knight = no projectiles. I can't land anything because star bits has priority over his whole move set. even dimensional cape. any advice?

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
As someone who plays a lot of Falcon, I don't think Rosalina's weaknesses can be summed up as 'rushdown characters.' Falcon's (and a lot of similar characters like Sheik) best option against most characters is grab. However, a quick Rosalina player can often use Luma to hit them after they grab and during the throw animation. Without their main combo starters, the matchup is a lot harder for them. I personally feel that keeping Luma close and using a lot of shield + smart rolling to escape the pressure they put on. Once they're scared to grab but still forced to approach, Rosalina seems to simply have a lot more options than them.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't think Rosalina has any particular trouble against any particular character archetype. ZSS and Lucario are the only ones I have my eye on right now.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Main issue with her is that she always wins. She snuffs most attacks if her hit-box is already out, and she's quick with a god-send recovery option. Luma also has its own KO moves. Why, Sakurai!?

I usually have to use Yoshi against her since his eggs lob over the luma to harass her directly, but she can still nullify that if you use it too often. Best advice is to only hit the luma if you hit them both at the same time, then make sure your attacks send the luma off-stage. Otherwise, go for Rosalina. Also, her luma can defend her while she's dizzy from shield break. That is a thing. Do NOT try to challenge her hit-boxes, ESPECIALLY u-smash. You'll lose nearly every time.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm actually quite happy that Rosalina has been doing very well, though I guess there can be a problem when you have to fight against her.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, I am kinda worried about Rosalina:

On one hand, I want to see my favourite lady make people respect her, in and out of Smash, and being top-tier in Smash would certainly do wonders for her already impressive popularity (same goes for Luma). Being absolutely broken would probably get her negativity from non-fans, though.

On the other hand, I also want to have engaging fights that aren't cake walks, but I also don't want Rosalina to end up low tier.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
I was really excited for Rosalina & Luma, when I noticed they don't do bad against any particular playstyle I was even more excited about them. Then I played against them and noticed just how strong they are. They don't have any obvious weaknesses to exploit either. While they are a lot of fun, I feel a bit cheap playing them. They're definitely a strong top-tier contender, but for some reason this really turned me away from them...

So far, the best strategy I came up with is immediately claiming the space between Rosalina & Luma if they do split up. And make sure to always prioritize Rosalina over Luma, unless you get a safe way to knock Luma off-stage. And never stop pressuring Rosalina once you get an opening! Work really hard to make sure they can't get a chance to reset the situation because that's where they thrive.

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Problem is that her her insane priority makes applying pressure extremely difficult. You can't just muscle through her attacks. You have to avoid/block and try to apply pressure in between the spaces of two attacks. But that just buys her time. =_=

Last edited:

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021
If your having trouble with fighting rosalina & luma I recommend pit or dark pit, their arrows can take out the lumas and use things like orbitars to block her attacks.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
At least Rosalina is showing that you don't always have to be aggressive to be good.
That's a bad thing. Defensive play is boring in a fighting game.

You really don't have to play defensively with Rosalina though, because she outprioritizes everything with or without Luma. Truly a horribly balanced character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom