• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I fight a Rosalina player?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That's a bad thing. Defensive play is boring in a fighting game.

You really don't have to play defensively with Rosalina though, because she outprioritizes everything with or without Luma. Truly a horribly balanced character.
Sometimes, the best offense is a good defense, and Rosalina does that a lot better than what Zelda could ever accomplish.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
I'm saying her offense and defense are both good. She can shut people down by playing defensively but I was just saying she doesn't really have to.

I don't really see any counterpick for Rosalina. She has the advantage over every character.

Again, I'm not saying she's unbeatable, but you're always going to be at a disadvantage.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm saying her offense and defense are both good. She can shut people down by playing defensively but I was just saying she doesn't really have to.

I don't really see any counterpick for Rosalina. She has the advantage over every character.

Again, I'm not saying she's unbeatable, but you're always going to be at a disadvantage.
That is a bit debatable, which is why we have the match-up discussion thread.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Lags screw up my Zelda kicks and teleports constantly. As if the circle pad and lack of c-stick wasn't a handicap enough.

Or I am just paranoid!
there is a trick that let's you see the path of moves like FW or Vanish. with lag, that's just rididculous to abuse.

not like most recoveries aren't greatly abusable with lag, Rosalina's being one of the worst AFAIK

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Luma also has its own KO moves. Why, Sakurai!?
Lumas wouldn't be much of an offensive threat if they didn't have KO power.
If you want Rosalina nerfed, then her own moveset should be looked at. Because otherwise you're making Luma less advantageous to set on the field. And really, Luma is what defines the pair. Making Rosalina plain except she has an ineffective puppet would be a downgrade in fun and uniqueness.

Sometimes, the best offense is a good defense, and Rosalina does that a lot better than what Zelda could ever accomplish.
Ouch
(it's true though)

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Lumas wouldn't be much of an offensive threat if they didn't have KO power.
If you want Rosalina nerfed, then her own moveset should be looked at. Because otherwise you're making Luma less advantageous to set on the field. And really, Luma is what defines the pair. Making Rosalina plain except she has an ineffective puppet would be a downgrade in fun and uniqueness.
I meant "Why Sakurai" for the whole package, rather than just the Luma.

That is a bit debatable, which is why we have the match-up discussion thread.
In all honesty, I think you're being biased to your favorite character a bit or two. Understandable, but still.

Last edited:

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
I like Rosa for being in the game but my rush game gets shut down hard and my projectiles are useless.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I meant "Why Sakurai" for the whole package, rather than just the Luma.

In all honesty, I think you're being biased to your favorite character a bit or two. Understandable, but still.
How is M&S Guy being biased here? He's saying that her "always having the advantage" is debatable. And he's right.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
How is M&S Guy being biased here? He's saying that her "always having the advantage" is debatable. And he's right.
Ok, disregarding the initial absolute of "always" (yea, I wouldn't agree on that either), she is always at an advantage during the neutral game, since her priority is downright uncanny + the luma shuts down other natural options like throws. It gets better to some degree when you get past that initial hump...to some degree...

So not ALWAYS, but "usually".

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, but if Rosalina players were overly biased, I'm pretty sure they'd WANT her to be broken, or to always have the advantage, since they will benefit (at least until she starts getting hypothetically banned in tournaments, or even nerfed via patches).

Someone who actually cares about the meta game would be more interested in the character being viable, but also not giving players an unfair advantage when playing as her. And as such, would debate the notion of her always having the advantage. Which M&S Guy was trying to do.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Anyway, I admittedly don't think she has any huge weaknesses myself. Even ZSS is becoming less trouble for me lately, and I initially thought the ZSS VS Rosalina match-up would be in ZSS's favour, now I'm questioning that.

Rosalina has her weaknesses, but they seem to mean a lot less in practice (especially against a player that knows her inside-out) than they do on paper. So I can't add much now, but I'll see what I can advise some other time.

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
The way I play Rosalina and Luma, I'd say push her to the edge. I don't know how one would accomplish this, but it makes it so easy to get Luma off the edge like that. Also, if you get SoRo off the stage while Luma is still back on stage, do not edgeguard. I can recover from pretty much anything that's not a spike/meteor smash, and even then I survive some of those. Kill Luma. Also if they're charging up a Luma Shot, shield and immediately jump oos, or just jump when they shoot it. Get out of the way of Luma before it gets to you. Proceed to put pressure on Rosalina. If they're not insanely good, punish the neutral special hard. I haven't faced too many people on for glory who know how to deal with neutral special. Most just shield and proceed to get hit with a jab combo

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Any tips on fighting Rosa with Lucina? I got destroyed pretty badly against a Rosalina. Maybe some times for Fox and Yoshi as well

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
He does seem pretty biased IMHO. He even rage-locked the thread about Rosalina being broken. lol
A character being "broken" means that it is so overpowered that it supplants all other characters; meaning, Rosalina & Luma would be broken if no other character could win against them, which clearly isn't the case.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Use Sonic, Greninja, ZSS, Yoshi or Jigglypuff and hope the R&L player doesn't know the matchup.

:059:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
As a Pac main, I found the only reasonable thing to attempt against my friends Rosalina (RosaLuma is his secondary) was outright defence. The three stock match lasted a painful ten minutes with both of us being over 100% on last stock when he finally won. If I spent an entire match defensively I feel I could win but approaching just isnt possible against luma. Since he knew never to use Luma shot because the hydrant glitches the Luma up bad, I couldnt use Bonus Fruit (If you use anything other than key, Luma takes the hit), I couldnt approach aerially because she can just beat you out in the end, if I pulled off a grab then Luma just comes and hits her out of it and Power Pellet and aggressive hydrant play is outright impossible due to her down-b. The only way I managed to keep in the match was by running one end to the other to charge up my key, occasionally punishing and then trying to use key into hydrant. I honestly cannot see a way of being aggressive against RosaLuma, least not as Pac-Man anyway.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
How to beat R&L:
Damage then knock luma off the edge and grab rosalina. proceed to pumble her as she helplessly watches luma die. Now back off and wait for the next luma. Repeat the process until rosalina is scarred for life as any mother would be after seeing her babies die.

~Frozen~

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frozen491
3DS FC
3909-8017-8600
Rather than being buttfrustrated Clemente, you could actually post something related to the topic at hand, or not post at all.
(Also, talking like that to a moderator is just ASKING for punishment lmao)

Anyway,

Rosalina excels at mid-long range, but her close range game is considerably worse compared to the former, so if your fighter has a good ability to weave in and out of her danger range (and thus, bait her into unsafe options) or has armor on moves to tank an assault and deal ever-important damage to Luma, then you likely don't fare too bad versus her. I'm not implying she's helpless without Luma as others have already went over, but her onstage game and mid-range abilities really weaken without Luma by her side, and while not seemingly that long, 8 seconds is actually a decent amount of time in fights where fighters are in your face rather often.

Also, if you're partaking in a customs meta, most characters have access to "Piercing" projectiles or some other variation that Luma can't simply sponge, meaning she'll want to rely on GP more, and that move, while good, comes with some decent endlag and is very punishable if baited out.

KasperUK

Smash Rookie
A character being "broken" means that it is so overpowered that it supplants all other characters; meaning, Rosalina & Luma would be broken if no other character could win against them, which clearly isn't the case.
Thank god there are some people speaking some sense.

Kay kay

Just take the time to admire my signature
turn off their 3ds.
Troll to the max?

Anyways, I played a demo with my friend, who was Rose. I was Palutena. Tbh, fighting her is a bit difficult since she has the ability to puppet Luma all the time. First things first, get rid of Luma. Yes, she can summon Luma again( i think ) But getting rid of it will give you a short time in advantage since Rose is weaker without Luma.

Rosalina is good with defense, so use a character that can cope that. Someone who is a great damage dealer like little mac. Even dark pits arrow could work.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
I've played something like 600 matches with Rosalina in For Glory (with a ~90% win rate), and here's my advice on how to beat my Rosalina.

(One note: As far Rosalina players go, I tend to use the Luma shot only situationally. I rarely allow my opponent to get in between my Rosalina and my Luma. The vast majority of the time I keep Luma right next to me.)

-Spam attacks which easily knock Luma off the stage. Examples of this include R.O.B.'s spin attack, Mega Man's spin attack, and Pit/Dark Pit's side-special, among others.

-Play defensively. Don't approach Rosalina unless you're forced to. If you're the one doing the approaching, you're going to have a bad time. Consistently I try to bait people into approaching me, which is exactly what I want.

-Spam your projectiles (intelligently, of course). Don't let Luma's ability to block and Rosalina's gravitational spill discourage you from spamming projectiles. At the beginning of the match I'll show off my gravitational pull just to let my opponent know I have it, and often that discourages them from spamming their projectile too much, but really that's exactly what I want. Rosalina excels at long range attacks, so if you don't have a good projectile there's really nothing you can do to prevent RosaLuma from completely controlling space.

-Block her dash attack, then punish. Easier said than done of course against a good Rosalina player, but if you can't deal with her dash attack it's pretty much game over. But if you can block it, then it's very easy to punish it.

-Remember that Rosalina is very light and susceptible to early KOs. Because Rosalina has a good recovery and great aerials, it makes her difficult to gimp. The best way to KO her is to go for a hard read and get in a solid smash attack. Since she is the 4th lightest character in the game, you can start thinking about KOing her with a hard hit when she gets to around 80%. Try to read your opponent and get the KO at an early %.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Sorry pal but most of the advice you get on Smashboards are usually in the 'easier said than done category' you're gonna read all this and be like ok all set but then get whooped by some decent Rosa player.

Honestly i use Luigi who's more times than not gonna be mid tier and i can barely beat the dash spamming Rosalina's without the timer going past 2mins, you gotta play slow and i mean really slow cuz Luma stays dead for 8 seconds which can go by fast.

This game is match up heavy but Rosa doesn't struggle against any characters, i think she has more advantages than disadvantages even against the good characters people are mentioning.

She isn't OP by all means but like Sheik she's a cut above the rest i've been seeing many Rosa in youtube tournaments in my subscription box along with Sheik, all i can say is take these advice and hope you're an overall better player than the Rosa it would help if you also use a good character(potential high tier) such as ZZS,Sheik,Yoshi ect.

I rarely run into Rosa online so i apologies for not giving in depth advice(others probably covered it).

Good luck and don't feel bad if you lose, she's a very good character try better next time.

Last edited:

Incenetum

Smash Cadet
From what I've seen against Rosaluma as a Falcon and Sheik player is that Rosa doesn't lose to grabs unless they shoot the Luma across the entire stage. Also, Omega mode just makes her sooo much better because you can't "avoid" Luma. If Luma was unable to act when Rosalina was grabbed/in free fall (can Luma act here?) then she'd be a much easier MU for most characters, but still be in the (probably) top tier of the characters. Any thoughts on no Luma actions while grabbed from you guys?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
If Luma was unable to act when Rosalina was grabbed/in free fall (can Luma act here?)
Yes. The only time Luma cannot act is when it's in a tumble state after getting hit, or when Rosalina is grabbing someone (for some reason). Also it cannot use Star Bits unless Rosalina is also free to act.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I'm at a total loss as to what to do against Rosaluma, either with my main (Kirby) or secondary (Ness)

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
I'm at a total loss as to what to do against Rosaluma, either with my main (Kirby) or secondary (Ness)
I have stopped using Ness but I have trouble seeing how a Ness could possibly beat a Rosalina. I think that's one problem with her balancing, others might argue that a Sheik or other something could beat Rosalina, but as far as characters Rosalina shuts down... she shuts them down HARD. And I've even found Ness to be a really good character.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I almost beat a Rosalina with Kirby, but then her luma respawned just as I was about to go for the Kill. She's able to out space me so easily, and rack up large amounts of damage, especially with that aerial flip move.. :/

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
I almost beat a Rosalina with Kirby, but then her luma respawned just as I was about to go for the Kill. She's able to out space me so easily, and rack up large amounts of damage, especially with that aerial flip move.. :/
Hold me brother, let's cry together

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
Yeah, but if Rosalina players were overly biased, I'm pretty sure they'd WANT her to be broken, or to always have the advantage, since they will benefit (at least until she starts getting hypothetically banned in tournaments, or even nerfed via patches).

Someone who actually cares about the meta game would be more interested in the character being viable, but also not giving players an unfair advantage when playing as her. And as such, would debate the notion of her always having the advantage. Which M&S Guy was trying to do.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Anyway, I admittedly don't think she has any huge weaknesses myself. Even ZSS is becoming less trouble for me lately, and I initially thought the ZSS VS Rosalina match-up would be in ZSS's favour, now I'm questioning that.

Rosalina has her weaknesses, but they seem to mean a lot less in practice (especially against a player that knows her inside-out) than they do on paper. So I can't add much now, but I'll see what I can advise some other time.
Having a bias and constantly defending something which Is obviously strong doesn't count as wanting to be broken?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Having an bias and constantly defending something which I obviously strong doesnt county as wanting to be broken?
Please fix the mistakes in your post because I honestly don't understand what you are trying to say.

I'm not being cheeky, I seriously just don't understand what you're trying to convey.

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
Please fix the mistakes in your post because I honestly don't understand what you are trying to say.

I'm not being cheeky, I seriously just don't understand what you're trying to convey.
If someone is defending something that is obviously over powered, isn't that basislly the same as wanting the character to stay broken. Trying to play as if rosalina has exploitable weaknesses so she doesn't get nerfed/banned isn't displaying a concern for a meta, but a concern for personal interest.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If someone is defending something that is obviously over powered, isn't that basislly the same as wanting the character to stay broken. Trying to play as if rosalina has exploitable weaknesses so she doesn't get nerfed/banned isn't displaying a concern for a meta, but a concern for personal interest.
Well no. Because Rosalina definitely does have exploitable weaknesses that have been gone over time and time again.

They're small weaknesses, yes. But so far, she is not broken. Just incredibly solid and well designed.

She still has a bit of a barrier to entry if you expect to compete in high level play, BTW.

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
Well no. Because Rosalina definitely does have exploitable weaknesses that have been gone over time and time again.

They're small weaknesses, yes. But so far, she is not broken. Just incredibly solid and well designed.

She still has a bit of a barrier to entry if you expect to compete in high level play, BTW.
No, she is poorly designed. Well designed implies she fits into the game in a manner where she can compete, but isn't absolutely absurd, this is not the case. There are no other characters in any fighting games that can still Attack while in hitstun, recovery, or even worse stun. Now, this being said some characters can still have an active hitbox out if they preform the move before they get hit, but none while grabbed or being hit. Rosalina punishes you for being right and punishing her which is completely unfair.
Her exploitable weaknesses are easily mitigated by simply switching up your Playstyle. Next, some of her built in weaknesses people mention are strengths. A perfect example of this is rosalina's floatiness/light weight. While it enables her to be ko'd easier, it also allows her to pop out of combos easier especially with weight+ vectoring added in.
Finally, difficulty of use is no excuse for being over powered. Period. Simply because you're harder to play doesn't mean you deserve the right to be overpowered.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No, she is poorly designed. Well designed implies she fits into the game in a manner where she can compete, but isn't absolutely absurd, this is not the case. There are no other characters in any fighting games that can still Attack while in hitstun, recovery, or even worse stun. Now, this being said some characters can still have an active hitbox out if they preform the move before they get hit, but none while grabbed or being hit. Rosalina punishes you for being right and punishing her which is completely unfair.
Her exploitable weaknesses are easily mitigated by simply switching up your Playstyle. Also, some of her built in weaknesses people mention are strengths. A perfect example of this is rosalina's floatiness/light weight. While it enables her to be ko'd easier, it also allows her to pop out of combos easier especially with weight+ vectoring added in.
Luma saving Rosalina from grabs doesn't work as well in practice as it does in theory. It's certainly an asset, but it can be countered by just using throws immediately, I've found. Perfect example is Mario's Back Throw, which whacks Luma with Rosalina.

In any case I'm not going through this tired debate again.

The only characters in this game who reward unskillful play are Little Mac and Lucario, but even they have enough weaknesses to prevent them from being broken.

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
Luma saving Rosalina from grabs doesn't work as well in practice as it does in theory. It's certainly an asset, but it can be countered by just using throws immediately, I've found. Perfect example is Mario's Back Throw, which whacks Luma with Rosalina.

The only characters in this game who reward unskillful play are Little Mac and Lucario, but even they have enough weaknesses to prevent them from being broken.
That is a terrible argument and is down right trash. The difficultly of a character should not dictate the power the character has. Just because you choose to play two characters doesn't mean you should completely destroy someone who only plays one. If that was the case all stance change characters should be broken because they are difficult to master.
Luma Savin rosalina works just fine. Da buzz does it in tourney a lot and there is video to prove it. Also if you just throw immediately your tills ace a throw animation and recovery to go through which can still be hit by luma if you are close. You either have to give up your follow up Pressure to hope to guarantee saftey or attempt to continue pressure and potentially get hit for it.

Last edited:

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126

That doesn't work for characters with slow throws. I am also of the belief that Rosaluma is a very bad design choice for this game. The fact that she even has that ability to whack you for correctly grabbing is ridiculous and even denying that is laughable. That needs to be removed from the game asap, I honestly want one puppet character named that can stop a grab or can hit you while in hitstun that is designed that way and not a glitch.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
If you performed a move "correctly" and got hit for it, then you did not perform the move correctly. If you got punished for making the "right" move, then you did not perform the right move. You didn't lose because you made the right move. You lost because you failed to understand the strengths of your opponent.

Your complaints basically consist of "RosaLuma doesn't have the exact same weaknesses that every other character has, therefore she's broken". Well sorry but this is a game full of unique characters and if you want to do well you have to understand all of your matchups, not just your "typical" ones.

Rosalina should not be grabbed while Luma is right next to her. Does she always get to easily break free? No, she does not, but it can happen and you need to be aware of that risk. That said, knocking Luma away long enough for a quick grab is not hard, let alone impossible. Complaining about that is akin to complaining about Fox because he "punishes you for aiming your projectiles correctly", or complaining about Marth because "he punishes you for landing a hit".

There are times when Luma is completely unable to act, such as when Rosalina is in a tumble. This is a perfect time to kill Luma, and all it requires is one good read to give you this opportunity. Also, Luma is just as susceptible to hitstun as any other character, so if you want to hit Rosalina while Luma is right next to her then be sure to hit them both at once. If you didn't hit them both when they're right next to each other, then you didn't land the hit and should expect to get smacked for that.

Without Luma, Rosalina... doesn't exactly become useless, but she does become just like any other character except that she doesn't have half of her specials.

Top Bottom