• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I dsmash Metaknight?

smaci92

Smash Lord
Ok, I changed this thread from "Metaknight's Sheildgrab" to "How do I dsmash Metaknight?"

Ok, so dsmash being one of Zamus' best moves, I don't know how to pull it off on Metaknight. Dsmash can lead to tons of combo opportunities, so it's a shame I can't use it in this matchup. Whenever I try to use it, he can dodge it or he can use a quick dsmash before mine etc. Because since dsmash has a tiny lag before the gun shoots, Metaknight can easily use a quick move to get me before it shoots. So, is it this hard for you to pull off just one dsmash against Metaknight? or is there and easier way to pull it off against Metaknight?

Thanks

Bouse

Smash Ace
Well what sucks about Metaknight is that he's really fast. Most of his moves will beat your shield grab at least 50% of the time, if not more. Make sure to SPACE your tilts, namely your dtlit. If you do it right you can hit with it and be out of your opponent's grab range.
She can shield grab, just don't overuse it. Shield+A=Shield Grab. Every character can do it, Zamus just has slight startup and Metaknight is a fast little pain.

smaci92

Smash Lord
Well what sucks about Metaknight is that he's really fast. Most of his moves will beat your shield grab at least 50% of the time, if not more. Make sure to SPACE your tilts, namely your dtlit. If you do it right you can hit with it and be out of your opponent's grab range.
She can shield grab, just don't overuse it. Shield+A=Shield Grab. Every character can do it, Zamus just has slight startup and Metaknight is a fast little pain.
Thanks bouse! I'll think about that...and if it continues, I'll put up a video, and people can tell me what's wrong with me.

Anyone else want to help out??

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You might also want to try cross-ups. Jump over his shield an space a back air so that you hit the shield but land out of grab range, then continue the pressure with tilts.

smaci92

Smash Lord
You might also want to try cross-ups. Jump over his shield an space a back air so that you hit the shield but land out of grab range, then continue the pressure with tilts.
Sure, that might work...I'll try it against him today...and I'll try to save the replay if I lose horribly again and I'll put it on youtube

Roager

Smash Ace
MetaKnight is a serious pain to fight, because of his speed and ability to wreck your recovery. What you need to do is use every bit of range you have, and stun him. Your side-B is your friend. It's got enough range to avoid the shieldgrab issue. Just remember that the lag is enough for MK to exploit. Be sure to either force him to shield or hit him. If he spot dodges or jumps, you're in trouble.

Of course, spacing is wonderful.

Maybe, just for the sake of mindgames, try shorthopping a dair, or use your down-B. I don't know how well it works, but it's worth a shot.

smaci92

Smash Lord
MetaKnight is a serious pain to fight, because of his speed and ability to wreck your recovery. What you need to do is use every bit of range you have, and stun him. Your side-B is your friend. It's got enough range to avoid the shieldgrab issue. Just remember that the lag is enough for MK to exploit. Be sure to either force him to shield or hit him. If he spot dodges or jumps, you're in trouble.

Of course, spacing is wonderful.

Maybe, just for the sake of mindgames, try shorthopping a dair, or use your down-B. I don't know how well it works, but it's worth a shot.
ya thanks, stunning is always good, but against metaknight, the down smash and b special can't come out in time before he gets his next attack in...side b sounds like a good idea ;)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
ya thanks, stunning is always good, but against metaknight, the down smash and b special can't come out in time before he gets his next attack in...side b sounds like a good idea ;)
Use paralyzer more proactively to frustrate his approach. If he's coming in aerially that gives you a chance to do things like usmash, utilt and up-b out of shield.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Well, at least you aren't dashing most of the time. It doesn't seem to me that you jab at Meta Knight, either. You can be easily punished because of these attacks. Since Meta Knight is a character of close-combat, he is going to use his grabs more often. I know I do when I play as Pit, who is another close-combatant. I like the idea of jumping behind him. You're out of his grabbing range. I'd try to practice ways of hitting Meta Knight and managing to get behind him. This would be extremely useful on your part.

If you don't know what you're doing wrong, save the video after the match to see what you've done wrong and try to fix it up from there.

smaci92

Smash Lord
Use paralyzer more proactively to frustrate his approach. If he's coming in aerially that gives you a chance to do things like usmash, utilt and up-b out of shield.
ok...so maybe I could paralyze him with the gun in the air then up smash utilt or up b! sounds like a plan!

smaci92

Smash Lord
Well, at least you aren't dashing most of the time. It doesn't seem to me that you jab at Meta Knight, either. You can be easily punished because of these attacks. Since Meta Knight is a character of close-combat, he is going to use his grabs more often. I know I do when I play as Pit, who is another close-combatant. I like the idea of jumping behind him. You're out of his grabbing range. I'd try to practice ways of hitting Meta Knight and managing to get behind him. This would be extremely useful on your part.

If you don't know what you're doing wrong, save the video after the match to see what you've done wrong and try to fix it up from there.
Yep I'll save the video of the next match I completely get destroyed...and I'll post it on here so you people can tell me what's wrong with me! :)

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Yep I'll save the video of the next match I completely get destroyed...and I'll post it on here so you people can tell me what's wrong with me! :)
Well, if you wish to do that, you can. It's good to have other opinions from different people. I wish I could save every video I played against my friend on Wi-Fi. If I could, I'd see what I did wrong and try to overcome my flaws and look for his.

smaci92

Smash Lord
Well, if you wish to do that, you can. It's good to have other opinions from different people. I wish I could save every video I played against my friend on Wi-Fi. If I could, I'd see what I did wrong and try to overcome my flaws and look for his.
What...you mean you can save replays on wi-fi???

Never thought about it or tried it...but can you?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
What...you mean you can save replays on wi-fi???

Never thought about it or tried it...but can you?
In Basic Brawl and Team Battle, you can. If you do matches with people you have on your friend list, sometimes you can save videos, sometimes you cannot. I think that might have to do with hosting the room. I'm not certain, though.

Pink-eye

Smash Apprentice
does meta short hop alot, cause cant zero suit samus grab meta when he short hops

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
In Basic Brawl and Team Battle, you can. If you do matches with people you have on your friend list, sometimes you can save videos, sometimes you cannot. I think that might have to do with hosting the room. I'm not certain, though.
If the match is longer than 3 minutes you can't save replays.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
does meta short hop alot, cause cant zero suit samus grab meta when he short hops
Yes she can, but don't rely on it. Pivot grabs may work once or twice, but hell probably catch on and begin full-jumping his approach, then you're kinda screwed.

smaci92

Smash Lord
Yes she can, but don't rely on it. Pivot grabs may work once or twice, but hell probably catch on and begin full-jumping his approach, then you're kinda screwed.
Hmmm, I think pivot grabs will work won't they?? I'll run away from him...he'll follow me, and then I turn around and grab him! good idea?!

hey ph00tbag, would you mind maybe coming back to this thread sometime next week...I might have a video up

and more useful questions: what can I do when I'm in the air and wherever I fall meta's going to be chasing me to get ready to attack me? DI'ing sometimes works...but not usually. Maybe airdodge right before I hit the ground then sidestep?

and how about his shuttle loop that he uses half the game??

thanks!

dinhotheone

Smash Apprentice
in my opinion zamus has thee best anti air attack in the game, uair. its quick and spammable, if he approaches on the ground i would over b and in the air i would uair. all the while trying to frustrate him with stun lasers and pivot grabs. someone above raised the arguement that he can full jump approach, idk when i play zamus i WANT people in the air because thats where she seems to be strongest. if he full jumps i would run under him and start uairing.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
smaci92:
Like I said, pivot grabbing can work, but then a smart MK will just start full-hopping his approach, so don't rely on it too much.

If you're above MK, the best choice is to keep moving to one side, and try to predict his attack to airdodge it. You can also use Flip Jump to get out of the way. Generally, though, airdodge is your only friend in this situation.

And as far as shuttle loop goes, he's going to be using it rather predictably. A lot of MKs I've seen like to camp the ledge and pull out a shuttle loop when you get too close. Use dsmash -> bair stagespike to deal with them.

dinhotheone:
I'm pretty sure most of MK's aerials outprioritize Zamus'.

smaci92

Smash Lord
smaci92:
Like I said, pivot grabbing can work, but then a smart MK will just start full-hopping his approach, so don't rely on it too much.

If you're above MK, the best choice is to keep moving to one side, and try to predict his attack to airdodge it. You can also use Flip Jump to get out of the way. Generally, though, airdodge is your only friend in this situation.

And as far as shuttle loop goes, he's going to be using it rather predictably. A lot of MKs I've seen like to camp the ledge and pull out a shuttle loop when you get too close. Use dsmash -> bair stagespike to deal with them.

dinhotheone:
I'm pretty sure most of MK's aerials outprioritize Zamus'.
Well everyone...I'm finally defeating Metaknight, so everything is ok now...and I won't put a video because he gets really mad and just deletes the replay anyways! So thanks everybody, and a special thanks to ph00tbag who had tons of useful info to share!! :bee:

Pink-eye

Smash Apprentice
i just when your falling and hes reading an attack, do a flip jump in the direction where you can kick and have your foot him, if that makes much sense

congrats, and now you can use that in tourney play also.

smaci92

Smash Lord
i just when your falling and hes reading an attack, do a flip jump in the direction where you can kick and have your foot him, if that makes much sense

Ya thanks...unfortunately there are no tournaments over here :(

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591

About your sig...it's ZSS not ZZS..

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
zzs lol. can you see my sig and avatar?? cause it took me forever to try to make them show up...so I was wondering if it finally shows up?
I could see them just fine.

Pink-eye

Smash Apprentice
ooops, i must of accidently put that, so O D I N followed my request...i feel dumb, thanks for pointing it out

EDIT: i just checked and surely enough, i requested for it to say ZZS, maybe i could change my username, to make it look like i meant to do that......or i might just request O D I N to change it.

Pink-eye

Smash Apprentice
well the rest of it ooks nice......doesnt it D:.....

is there anyway change your username, or do you have to have a premium membership

smaci92

Smash Lord
well the rest of it ooks nice......doesnt it D:.....

is there anyway change your username, or do you have to have a premium membership
Not that I know of...I think you have to have a premium membership...

Ya, the rest of it is nice, but mine's nice too right?! ;)

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Have to have premium to change your name. You only get one name change, so use it wisely. I know I did.

Pink-eye

Smash Apprentice
what was your previouse name cake?

yeah, i really like your sig actually smaci.

Kyriel

Smash Cadet
Bad idea. He has Utilt, UAIR, NAIR, and BAIR, which basically come out on frame 1, whereas you have to time ZSS's BAIR, not to mention he has pretty much no grab fail delay. A faster, shorter character--what a terrible matchup for ZSS :urg:.

Screw Meta. If you somehow miraculously get him off stage to UPB recover with his glide, you can jump up into him with an air dodge--this usually prompts Meta users to use their glide attack and miss, which leaves them 100% completely vulnerable until they hit the ground. If you time your fast fall, you should be able to hit the ground and DSmash.

On a side note: What Meta user doesn't spam UPB, it's sooo cool /sarcasm

Top Bottom