• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I approach as Olimar?

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
It's so basic, but I seem to have the most problem with it. It seems nothing Olimar can do can break through a shield, so I have trouble deciding how I should approach.

I mostly fight a DK who, when fighting me, approaches with short walks followed with a forward tilt. This tilt out ranges my forward arial, and kills pikmin that hit it (via thrown), and "clanks" smash attacks into him. I might be an idiot, but it seems Olimar doesn't have the range to be a complete ranged spammer like pit can, so what do I do to approach an enemy successfully?

EDIT - As I foolishly forgot, approaching with a grab against this technique causes for a wonky animation of DK moving slightly backwards as if someone had shoved him enough to make him lose balance, and Olimar taking damage and going flying. Basically, it doesn't work all too well.

keeper

Smash Champion
Throw a Purple Pikmin or just slowly approach with tosses and some (what I call forward-back fairs) fairs where you just jump forward initially then DI away from them as you start the attack. *shrug*

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
Well, Purple pikmin chink off his fists, and die after a couple attempts, and DK's forward tilt out ranges Olimar's Fair, as stated above.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
You basically gave us the situation in which we cannot say a single thing. DK walks and attacks: Pikmin get killed by his fists and so do you. What can we say then? =/

Eh, I suggest spamming lots of Pikmin. Looooooooooooooooots of them. Or time your fAirs correctly, right after he has attacked. And when he constantly attacks for those hundreds of Pikmin, he won't walk towards you, eh?

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
Actually, like I said, the fist builds a mighty cone in front of him, blocking all attacks. Seeing as it's super fast to do and inch forward, there isn't a place for me to time a fair inbetween them. If pikmin do land on him, the tilt will soon remove them.

I'm saying this from experience, and seeing as he is such an unpopular character, you'd think he'd be an easy kill.....

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Jump and dAir him? nAir should work too. Or jump behind him, throw some Pikmin, jump back and make him go crazy?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
You don't?

Just sit back and camp characters like DK. Olimar really isn't a good approach character.

Puddin

Smash Lord
I have a friend who mains DK, this probably wont work for every DK player obviously, but he likes to instantly charge a punch in his invincibility frames so he spends a bit of time trying to rack up my damage, stick me in the ground, and KOing me with his punch. But thats not too important, what I do is line it up so I can throw at least two Pikmin on him and have a Blue Pikmine after that, so when he attacks to get the Pikmin off I take advantage of the lag and run up to grab him and throw him. Of course this wont always work so I like to play with some Air Attack, I'll jump above him and He'll begin to charge an Up smash so I'll DI to the side and use a Side air attack rather then a straight down one, usually works cuz he has lag from chargin and letting the attack go when he realizes he isn't going to hit me. Thats all I do, like I said wont work for every DK player but it works for me... against my friend.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
DK should be a fairly easy matchup, so idk why your having trouble :/ spam pikmen. if he whacks them off, then charge and SHFair correctly or grab him. be sure to time it well. U can always SG him if he keeps spamming the tilt.

i'm sure True will come in any moment and explain what to do in a much more lengthier, clearer explanation than i would, so yeah. just wait a minute

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
You don't?

Just sit back and camp characters like DK. Olimar really isn't a good approach character.

Correct. DK has no projectiles so keep your distance. DK certainly has nasty moves and Olimar's light weight and poor recovery you certainly don't want to come in close. Grabs may be a bit risky but if he comes in close dodge then hit the monkey

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
"then hit the monkey"

that'll become a classic 2 years from now. lol

peeup

Smash Lord
I've never played a good DK before, so I don't know how practical this would be: If you can, time the super armor frames from the whistle right as DK uses his f-tilt. Hopefully the lag on the whistle will be lower than the f-tilt and you can grab or smash or whatever. If all else fails, camping is never a bad idea.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
woa, man, don't WAC against DK in that situation. just throw pikmen and play defensively. you're faster than him.

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
The way Jingo is describing it, it seems that the DK is a very aggressive player.

DK's Ftilt is good but it's not ubergood. If none of your Pikmin are latching on for at least a moment or two than you must not be throwing them correctly. I mean, if he's just spamming one move from the ground and you're unsure of your grab, then get airborn.

So now DK sees you comin' and his possibly readying his:
-shield or dodge or roll
-Utilt or Usmash
-own air attack.

Let's start from the last one--DK's Fair sucks. Big time. You are so much faster than him that it should not be a problem, DK's Bair is what you want to worry about, but he should already be facing you if he's spamming Ftilt.

His Utilt and Usmash are both big, mean moves. But they're also slow and predictable--DK looks up and makes an upward motion before doing these, so be ready to airdodge or moves away from these moves. Then punish accordingly.

And if he does a defensive move like the one I mentioned above, then you need to be ready for that as well. Try to land behind him if he shields that way he won't shield grab you. In the case of a dodge or a roll you need to ask yourself what this opponent usually does in that sort of scenario, and, again, act accordingly.

Bottom line is that you're faster than DK and you have a projectile.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
I suggest latching pikmin on DK and approaching with airials, or dash then grab. Most of Olimar's airials have lots of priority, but I think you should use f-air after a short hop. But be sure to avoid his smashes, maybe by dodge rolling behind him. Keep your distance, throw pikmin, get him off the stage with a f-air or f-smash, then punish his mediocre up-b with a down airial spike!!! Hit the monkey (lol)!! God I love that down airial...

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
something else that comes to mind is that pikmen will degrade his ftilt through DR. if he uses ftilt to knock off the pikmen, that move that you're having trouble with be diminished to its lowest point. be sure to spam!

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
If he's just walking forward and using Ftilts that predictably, you shouldn't have too much trouble dashing at him, bringing up your shield in time to block, and either shield-grabbing him as you block the Ftilt or rolling towards him past the Ftilt and punishing accordingly.

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
The thing you have to realize is that Olimar doesn't have to approach. The best thing for Oli to do is to sit back and let other characters approach you.

But if you're forced into a situation where you have to approach, I've never had any trouble. SHFair, Sometimes Nair if you do it right, Pikmin throw your way over (Purples especially)...even a grab with a blue or white can get 'em sometimes if you do it right.

_Ubemaya_

Smash Cadet
He's talking about against DK.

Also, have you tried using Olimar's tilts? I'm thinking D-tilt should outrange DK's F-tilt (and it might completely go under also), and also have higher priority.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
not if you are Lucario (lol double team ftw).

no but seriously i think olimar isnt bad at approaching at all. What is wrong with it?

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
wouldn't you just throw pikmin at whatever is camping to try to pressure them to approach you?
I'm saying that Spacies easily outcamp Olimar. Lasers are much better tha Pikmin, especially Falco's, and the Reflector makes your Pikmin worthless anyway. A good Pit can also outcamp Olimar, but not easily. I'd say Pit's more annoying though, actually, because it's not too hard to approach a space animal with Olimar as compared to Pit.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Mhm, my friend told me that his nAir is better to approach because they can't shieldgrab you then?!

Top Bottom