• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do "Advanced Techniques" or "Game Physics" affect casual players?

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
I just had to immediatly answer this without reading the whole damn thread. I have always been casual in all smashes but will work towards being competitive in SSB4. What do you suppose people will do when their friend lists are empty because people are offline? Play against the CPU? If the function to play online without friend list exists then it should be used by both casuals and competitive players alike. Saying competitive players shouldn't use it and stay with their friends list because it ruins the casual fun sounds a bit self-entitled to me. Let's say I manage to master a whole lot of things (like I did in PSASBR) by only browsing the internet, practice and playing one or two good persons on the other side of the world (read: rarely catch 'em on) to the point I can wreck most casuals? Should I no longer be entitled to going into online play and stick to my pretty much empty friend list that only has people on the other side of the world?
You've got an entire web sight right under your nose, right here and now, full of people that play at all times of the day. Competitive people. People that won't be so far below your own skill level that they won't even be worth fighting against, people that you would not end up frustrating by going in and wiping them out with little effort.
With a resource as large as this community, not to mention the wealth of other communities out there, I sincerely doubt you'd have much issue finding a match; just log in and ask, and you shouldn't have to wait very long at all to find a group of players that you could do whole tournaments with, if you wanted to, instead of settling for a random bunch of newbies that you will likely easily thrash with no effort at all.

Having said that, though, it's your choice whether or not you play against people below your skill level.
It doesn't make sense, to me, for you to do so when there's an alternative right in front of you, ESPECIALLY when doing so could ruin the fun for many others who simply cannot compete with you at all, but it's not like anyone can stop you if you don't want to be sympathetic.
The way Smash is designed so far means you're entitled to play in any mode you like, so go right ahead.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
"You've got an entire web site right under your nose, right here and now, full of people that play at all times of the day. Casual people. People that won't be so far above your own skill level that they won't destroy you, and that you won't end up frustrating by going in and wasting people's time.
With a resource as large as this community, not to mention the wealth of other communities out there, I sincerely doubt you'd have much issue finding a match; just log in and ask, and you shouldn't have to wait very long at all to find a group of players that you could do taunt parties with, if you wanted to, instead of settling for a random bunch of competitive players who will likely trash you with no effort at all."

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
"You've got an entire web site right under your nose, right here and now, full of people that play at all times of the day. Casual people. People that won't be so far above your own skill level that they won't destroy you, and that you won't end up frustrating by going in and wasting people's time.
With a resource as large as this community, not to mention the wealth of other communities out there, I sincerely doubt you'd have much issue finding a match; just log in and ask, and you shouldn't have to wait very long at all to find a group of players that you could do taunt parties with, if you wanted to, instead of settling for a random bunch of competitive players who will likely trash you with no effort at all."
That would make more sense if public matches in multiplayer games weren't, as a norm, usually populated mostly by the non-elite.
Most times, they're filled to bursting with the least-skilled, in my experience, and in some communities there's a healthy sprinkling of intermediate players, but rarely do random modes become infested with top-tier players.
Skilled gamers usually, if not eventually, form small tight-knit groups and communities dedicated to their own particular style.

However, you've made your point; that was insensitive of me and I do apologize for putting it that way, but my point still stands; Public is normally filled to the brim with the less skilled, non-elite players, and friends lists were designed as a way for people like this minority of said elites to find and play with their own preferred type of player.
Why would elites want to battle it out in here for the sake of justifying their frequent use of public matches when it doesn't suit their style of opponent, as a majority case, to begin with?
That makes literally no sense to me, especially when it would ruin the fun for more people than it would satisfy.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
You've got an entire web sight right under your nose, right here and now, full of people that play at all times of the day. Competitive people. People that won't be so far below your own skill level that they won't even be worth fighting against, people that you would not end up frustrating by going in and wiping them out with little effort.
With a resource as large as this community, not to mention the wealth of other communities out there, I sincerely doubt you'd have much issue finding a match; just log in and ask, and you shouldn't have to wait very long at all to find a group of players that you could do whole tournaments with, if you wanted to, instead of settling for a random bunch of newbies that you will likely easily thrash with no effort at all.

Having said that, though, it's your choice whether or not you play against people below your skill level.
It doesn't make sense, to me, for you to do so when there's an alternative right in front of you, ESPECIALLY when doing so could ruin the fun for many others who simply cannot compete with you at all, but it's not like anyone can stop you if you don't want to be sympathetic.
The way Smash is designed so far means you're entitled to play in any mode you like, so go right ahead.

In PSASBR I also had lots of people to play with. Guess why I didn't? Skill WAY higher than mine. Those select two I played with were one slighty better than me and the guy who was teaching me how to master my character. I am willing to bet that when SSB4 comes out it will be nearly the same as my skill with video games is horrible when I start out. When me and my friends all buy a game in the release day I get my ass handed to myself over and over - even if its some game that I should have more experience (Melee and Brawl come to mind, a friend of mine that never touched the 64 version kept beating me the week after release) but in the end I can surpass them always and end up coming 1st in nearly all matches. This community is bigger, true, but I will probably only get 5 people tops that don't vastly overpower me because my starting skill SUCKS. You see those characters in stat based games that start with the lowest and end up with pretty damn decent/high stats? I am them: Human Version when it comes to gaming. And by gaming I mean all gaming types. Racing type I always come up last when I start out (F-Zero X which I spent my whole damn childhood playing I got my ass handed over to me by a guy that never heard of it in F-Zero GX) , end up coming up on a constant 1st, ocasional 2nd or 3rd. Fighting games I literally get my ass handed over to me by "casual" players but end up downing a top player a couple of times in the end. Hell, even sandbox games my creativity starts really narrow but I end up building the most amazing things between my friends.

My skill level can still be somewhat higher than most "casual" gamers but still I will find myself falling back to random online in SSB4 for at least a good 2-3 months when no one is online in my friend's list (in PSASBR it took 1 month until I gave up on online because I literally trained literally all damn day: Morning, afternoon, late night and saw that training take no effect in Free-for-All when I went there to take a break or when I didn't feel like training and no one was online. I am not repeating the training dose with SSB4 for various reasons.)

But the point of my original post was that stating that competitive players should stay with their friend's list is a pretty selfish statement. I stopped online in PSASBR because the skill in FFA was way different from the skill in 1v1. In TF2, I never stopped going into pub servers because I went competitive. Same thing with lots of other games.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
In PSASBR I also had lots of people to play with. Guess why I didn't? Skill WAY higher than mine. Those select two I played with were one slighty better than me and the guy who was teaching me how to master my character. I am willing to bet that when SSB4 comes out it will be nearly the same as my skill with video games is horrible when I start out. When me and my friends all buy a game in the release day I get my *** handed to myself over and over - even if its some game that I should have more experience (Melee and Brawl come to mind, a friend of mine that never touched the 64 version kept beating me the week after release) but in the end I can surpass them always and end up coming 1st in nearly all matches. This community is bigger, true, but I will probably only get 5 people tops that don't vastly overpower me because my starting skill SUCKS. You see those characters in stat based games that start with the lowest and end up with pretty damn decent/high stats? I am them: Human Version when it comes to gaming. And by gaming I mean all gaming types. Racing type I always come up last when I start out (F-Zero X which I spent my whole damn childhood playing I got my *** handed over to me by a guy that never heard of it in F-Zero GX) , end up coming up on a constant 1st, ocasional 2nd or 3rd. Fighting games I literally get my *** handed over to me by "casual" players but end up downing a top player a couple of times in the end. Hell, even sandbox games my creativity starts really narrow but I end up building the most amazing things between my friends.

My skill level can still be somewhat higher than most "casual" gamers but still I will find myself falling back to random online in SSB4 for at least a good 2-3 months when no one is online in my friend's list (in PSASBR it took 1 month until I gave up on online because I literally trained literally all damn day: Morning, afternoon, late night and saw that training take no effect in Free-for-All when I went there to take a break or when I didn't feel like training and no one was online. I am not repeating the training dose with SSB4 for various reasons.)

But the point of my original post was that stating that competitive players should stay with their friend's list is a pretty selfish statement. I stopped online in PSASBR because the skill in FFA was way different from the skill in 1v1. In TF2, I never stopped going into pub servers because I went competitive. Same thing with lots of other games.
You can call it selfish as much as you like, but my point about competitive players likely thrashing new players left and right far more often than finding people on their level, in public matches, if they're actually in the competitive scene once Smash 4 is out and established, still stands.
I argue that it's just as selfish to fall back on torturing newbies for the sake of a quick few rounds as it is to be told to stick to what works better for an elite's particular level of skill.

And just FYI, you're talking to a gamer who works the same way you do; I never truly rise into the pro ranks, even though I can become good against a few certain people and occasionally get in a lucky win against a pro.

I can't speak for the skill of any particular other players on this board, but at my level of skill, I still find plenty of challenge in public games.
When I run across newbies, I'll either ease up or quit the match, because I'm not a super competitive person; I empathize with new players and I want to encourage them, not scare them off by simply blowing them away for the sake of my own entertainment.
Most competitive players I've met so far, don't have qualms about squashing newbies, or even intermediates.
It's those ones that I would rather see stick to those that play as they do.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I've said this in other threads, but if we want the skill ceiling lowered in Smash, who's to say we can't have the ceiling lowered for things like basketball?

Getting outplayed and outplaying others is all part of the experience. If you can't adapt, that's not my problem.

peeup

Smash Lord
I haven't read a single post in this thread, because the OP question can be answered fairly simply.

How do "Advanced Techniques" or "Game Physics" affect casual players?

Short answer: They don't.

Long answer: Casual players don't even know the existence of ATs, so they couldn't possibly even have a tiny effect on casual players. If the game physics are stupidly stupid, then yeah people will care. However, 99 times out of 99.1, game physics are tolerable enough for casual players not to care, because physics aren't something they think about.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not only that, but are there even that many ATs or are a lot of them just made up for some specific occasion? I remember reading the list of Brawl ATs and I remember reading a bunch of them that were really just fancy names for kara-cancels.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I'm not trying to represent casuals at all. Just people like you who think new players, who don't take the time to do some research and practice, should be able to play and compete with elite players that dedicate the majority of their free time to improving their knowledge and skill.
WHAT IN THE WHAT?!

We're not saying anyone's going to be meeting at the next Apex... we're talking about access to an online component that's part of a 60$ purchase that these people are paying for. OF COURSE, they have the right to use it. If we happen to be on, they'll end up playing against us, but our mere presence and our selfish, singular desire for Smash games to be pinnacles of competitive fighting games in no way invalidates anyone else's right to play against us. We are not special snowflakes. There is no such thing and needing to earn the right to play against us. What the **** are you smoking?

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
No one's saying that its a must to play against highly skilled players, I think the moral of the story has been noted several times now: the higher skilled want to enjoy high level matches.

I think we're arguing that there should be options available to all walks of life, customized game modes that cater to the type of match that any one person desires to play.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I know I will get a total **** storm, but I like simple gameplay. I've been watching the competitive scene for quite awhile and even though wavedashing and L-Canceling and all that jazz are viable and increase the skill cap. They never "felt" like true mechanics. I know that at some point Sakurai found out about wavedashing, but decided to keep it in. However, it just felt odd that there was no tutorial or anything mentioned in the game or instruction manual about wavedashing.

I've once read somewhere that complexity =/= accessibility. Let's have a scenario with someone at the age of let's say 14 and gets SSB4. They will probably play the story mode, play a few local matches, and unlock all the characters. He finds a character that he likes and sticks with them. He then goes online and tries to go online and plays against some random players. One of them has been playing smash for years and won't stop beating him. He gets a little flustered, but then realized that the opponent was using some technique. Once done, he checks online and finds out about wavedashing. Their first thought would be "why didn't I know about this from the beginning?" So he then tries to learn wavedashing. He is unable to learn the sharp button presses and gets even more flustered. He decides to quit playing online and feels like he can never be as good as the people online, rendering online useless.

I'm not saying that he should quit because of wavedashing, but I'm saying that players feel cheated when the inputs are complex. If wavedashing was somehow mapped to one button and could be easier performed it would feel like a mechanic in the game that everyone knows and can do. When that same kid loses when there is no wavedashing, it will feel like it was his fault and not the fact that he can't wavedash. Whether if this is true or not is besides the point. Everyone doesn't want to feel like they suck or are horrible at something, so they blame something else. I believe Sakurai took out wavedashing because it wanted to flatten the skill levels and use the core mechanics only. He wanted the fighting to feel bare bones so that it was easily accessible and easy to understand right from the get go. I support this decision, take it as you will.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
No one's saying that its a must to play against highly skilled players, I think the moral of the story has been noted several times now: the higher skilled want to enjoy high level matches.

I think we're arguing that there should be options available to all walks of life, customized game modes that cater to the type of match that any one person desires to play.
The bigger picture is that we all want to play with someone equally skilled. Though, if you want to get better and better, you need to fight against someone who is only a bit better than you - you're going to learn from your mistakes and you'll be able to win your share of the matches, but there won't be any curbstomps (depends on the game though).

VA3TO

Smash Apprentice
[quote="Jack Kieser, post: 15630996, member: 86042"

We're not saying anyone's going to be meeting at the next Apex... we're talking about access to an online component that's part of a 60$ purchase that these people are paying for. OF COURSE, they have the right to use it. If we happen to be on, they'll end up playing against us, but our mere presence and our selfish, singular desire for Smash games to be pinnacles of competitive fighting games in no way invalidates anyone else's right to play against us. We are not special snowflakes. There is no such thing and needing to earn the right to play against us. What the **** are you smoking?

[/quote]

Your right, they do have the right to use it. They can unlock all the characters, beat all their records and fight with as many items as they want in any way they want. In what way does our competitive nature affect their gameplay? IT DOESN'T

We don't want the game to be dumbed down because of those people because they won't be playing the game as long as the rest of us. Brawl did that and look what happened? Casual players loved it and players who loved the franchise before very much dislike it.

They don't have to earn the right at all, they can play to their hearts content. If they want a serious match then they will have to step up. Get your head out of your arse please.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Excuse me, but no. WE are the ones forcing the game to be something it's not (a serious competitive 1v1 fighter). If someone logs onto the online component, and they happen to get matched up with us, they have done nothing wrong. In fact, as I've said before, we're encroaching, not the other way around.

Let's assume there's a hidden AT in SSB4, non official, that we've figured out. We log onto the online component to play; we may want serious matches, maybe we don't. Perhaps all we want to do that day is troll casuals, steamrolling them and then taunt partying. Who knows. The point is that, simply by existing in the online queue, we have the ability to **** up someone's day. Because, millions of people will log onto the service with NO knowledge of this AT. None at all. In fact, they don't WANT to know.

These people know full well that they'll probably be matched up with someone of a different skill level. Losing is a real possibility. For these people, that's not a concern. Losing isn't that big of a deal, they're prepared for it. They don't actually have a problem if they lose. But, here we come, matched up with them, and now we're using these ATs that they don't know about. They don't WANT to know about. We steamroll them, and now we've FORCED our **** onto them. They didn't force anything onto us; we played the game we wanted to play, whether that's "let's practice against the human equivalent of a lvl 5 CPU" or "let's practice in a non-lag-free setting" or "let's troll some newbs today". They didn't. They played "let's get annihilated by someone who is doing what, as far as I know, could be a cheat". They played "let's not lose because I'm less skilled, but because someone else is doing something I didn't even know existed". In that situation, losing sucks because they are forced to play a game they didn't want to play.

And for YOU to sit there in your chair and tell them that not only do they have to want a serious match if they're playing you, even considering that they have no idea who you are and probably didn't ask to play with you, specifically, but also that they cannot have a serious match without being on SWF and learning every ridiculous thing we do... the balls you must have. That is easily the most entitled, self-centered, self-important view of a gaming community I've ever heard in my 25 years of life.

And you people wonder why casuals make memes about us and think we're douchebags. It's because, with people like you, we are.

EDIT: Seriously, watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO3VTXqMCoo&feature=player_detailpage#t=159s Listen to Arin's frustration, and how Jon refuses to tell him the controls that he knows. They are, functionally, playing different games. We balk at this because Jon is winning not because he's actually better, but because Arin is artificially handicapped. We feel for Arin because it would SUCK to play that game like that, to play ANY game like that. That's how casuals feel when we play against them.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
The bigger picture is that we all want to play with someone equally skilled.
I'm not entirely sure how accurate that assessment is, only because I'm not sure if you're referring to your perspective or the general idea about this thread.

I stated it as "high level matches" because often times with these blind interactions (online, tournaments, etc.) you never know what degree of skill your opponent is going to have. By my experience, its often entertaining to watch matches where players have varied skill sets. I enjoy them because of the uncertainty involved.

"Equally skilled" well, that's a very specific scenario or encounter, the kind that I can only imagine will become stale rather quickly.

Honestly, I wish folks would just shove the whole 'casual' or 'competitive' labeling.

That is easily the most entitled, self-centered, self-important view of a gaming community I've ever heard in my 25 years of life.
Okay, stop.

I'm not sure what world you live in but man, its not at all like what your prescribing. I understand that there are frustrating elements that exist in the metagame of certain games, but the matter of winning or losing at those games are completely subjective to the players involved.

If there's a match type marked 'Competition' and you the player, feeling real self-entitled to your investment, have the intent to entertain this game mode, you've now agreed to abide by the rules and the setting. If you lose, you lose. That's it, no need to lose sleep over it, just continue on with your existence.

The CPU in Melee taught me that you can follow up on Fox's down throw with a shine. Was this manipulating the system? All it did for me was make me more aware of the options that I had available to me and certain factors I could be considering about the metagame.

SO if I use that knowledge in effect to improve my capabilities, how would I be wrong if that option gave me the edge over my opponent who, for all I know, has no understanding about Fox's options?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'm not entirely sure how accurate that assessment is, only because I'm not sure if you're referring to your perspective or the general idea about this thread.

I stated it as "high level matches" because often times with these blind interactions (online, tournaments, etc.) you never know what degree of skill your opponent is going to have. By my experience, its often entertaining to watch matches where players have varied skill sets. I enjoy them because of the uncertainty involved.

"Equally skilled" well, that's a very specific scenario or encounter, the kind that I can only imagine will become stale rather quickly.

Honestly, I wish folks would just shove the whole 'casual' or 'competitive' labeling.

What I got out of that is you enjoy people getting stomped by someone at higher level?

VA3TO

Smash Apprentice
Excuse me, but no. WE are the ones forcing the game to be something it's not (a serious competitive 1v1 fighter). If someone logs onto the online component, and they happen to get matched up with us, they have done nothing wrong. In fact, as I've said before, we're encroaching, not the other way around.

Let's assume there's a hidden AT in SSB4, non official, that we've figured out. We log onto the online component to play; we may want serious matches, maybe we don't. Perhaps all we want to do that day is troll casuals, steamrolling them and then taunt partying. Who knows. The point is that, simply by existing in the online queue, we have the ability to **** up someone's day. Because, millions of people will log onto the service with NO knowledge of this AT. None at all. In fact, they don't WANT to know.

These people know full well that they'll probably be matched up with someone of a different skill level. Losing is a real possibility. For these people, that's not a concern. Losing isn't that big of a deal, they're prepared for it. They don't actually have a problem if they lose. But, here we come, matched up with them, and now we're using these ATs that they don't know about. They don't WANT to know about. We steamroll them, and now we've FORCED our **** onto them. They didn't force anything onto us; we played the game we wanted to play, whether that's "let's practice against the human equivalent of a lvl 5 CPU" or "let's practice in a non-lag-free setting" or "let's troll some newbs today". They didn't. They played "let's get annihilated by someone who is doing what, as far as I know, could be a cheat". They played "let's not lose because I'm less skilled, but because someone else is doing something I didn't even know existed". In that situation, losing sucks because they are forced to play a game they didn't want to play.

And for YOU to sit there in your chair and tell them that not only do they have to want a serious match if they're playing you, even considering that they have no idea who you are and probably didn't ask to play with you, specifically, but also that they cannot have a serious match without being on SWF and learning every ridiculous thing we do... the balls you must have. That is easily the most entitled, self-centered, self-important view of a gaming community I've ever heard in my 25 years of life.

And you people wonder why casuals make memes about us and think we're douchebags. It's because, with people like you, we are.

EDIT: Seriously, watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO3VTXqMCoo&feature=player_detailpage#t=159s Listen to Arin's frustration, and how Jon refuses to tell him the controls that he knows. They are, functionally, playing different games. We balk at this because Jon is winning not because he's actually better, but because Arin is artificially handicapped. We feel for Arin because it would SUCK to play that game like that, to play ANY game like that. That's how casuals feel when we play against them.

And what about any other game you play? ANY other FPS or fighting game or even Racing game where this is the issue. Is that a problem there too? Should they dumb down their games to appease people who can't or won't get better? The fact that you are taking Smash into a different category altogether makes me laugh. This has ALWAYS been the case in ANY GAME that has ever been produced. Why is Smash the exception?

Like I said; add Matchmaking options. Make it so it asses your APM or you have to graduate out of a certain class to play against people of equal skill level. Don't sit there and say there can only be one online option for the entire game so you can have your way in this argument.

I'm not saying they can't play the game but if someone is better than them than THATS THE FACTS.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
What I got out of that is you enjoy people getting stomped by someone at higher level?

Personally, I enjoy learning how to get better. If that involves losing, then I'm okay with that.

I know everyone doesn't subscribe to this line of thinking, and that's okay, but people who enjoy getting better will often fight players more skilled than them. Sometimes I laugh at how hard I get stomped in fighting games because that's just fun.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
@GamerGuy09
Aw come off it dude, Wavedashing does function from a single button press. It's an extension of an already established motion (air dodging) which already increases mobility options. Does it matter whether that motion is used offensively or defensively? Either way, someone is going to benefit from its inclusion.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
To reply simply to the title, how do advanced techs or game physics affect casual players?

The skill barrier will put them off, and if it's something like L-cancelling, they will see how pointless it is and go play something else.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
There is no such thing and needing to earn the right to play against us.
WRONG

Somebody who's only owned the game for a week should not come close to beating an individual who put an excessive amount of time mastering the game. Yes, lower skilled players need to EARN THE RIGHT to compete at a high level. They need to do a lot of research. They need to do a lot of practice. They need to do a lot of WORK. THAT'S LIFE!

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Personally, I enjoy learning how to get better. If that involves losing, then I'm okay with that.

I know everyone doesn't subscribe to this line of thinking, and that's okay, but people who enjoy getting better will often fight players more skilled than them. Sometimes I laugh at how hard I get stomped in fighting games because that's just fun.
I don't know about you, but getting stomped in a game online 5 times in a row just frustrates me and makes me walk away for a breather.

VA3TO

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about you, but getting stomped in a game online 5 times in a row just frustrates me and makes me walk away for a breather.

Online is a different scenario than offline.

Online has other factors a part from the match at hand which is why people get frustrated. I refuse to play fighting games in particular online because it shows no clear indication of who is the better player but who can abuse the online situation better.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Gonna have to take objection to this one. Sakurai lets people turn items off for a reason. Smash is not exclusively designed to be a 1v1 competitive fighter, but neither is it designed to be solely a goofy, unbalanced party game. Players can take any approach they like, and that's part of the charm. If 1v1 competition wasn't part of Sakurai's vision for the game, he would have removed the capability to do it long ago.

If beating a casual will ruin their day, and we can't have that happen, why let competitive players play the game at all? They're just going to end up "ruining" somebody's day by stomping them into the ground, advanced techniques or no.

The reality of any game is that there will always be people who are better, and there will always be worse players that they beat. This cannot be avoided, only mitigated through an effective matchmaking system. People need to learn not to get their feelings hurt over a game.

Hell, take a look at a game like LoL, which many DotA players accuse of removing DotA's "advanced techniques" to create a simpler, more casual-friendly experience. Thousands of people get their feelings hurt in LoL on a daily basis despite these modifications. There's simply no avoiding it.

I would think that a casual would prefer to lose to somebody who was using techniques that they did not know. People love to rationalize losing in any way they can in any type of game, and losing to somebody using ATs allows a player to say "well, it's not my fault I lost, that dude had BS moves I can't do." If you lose to somebody and they just straight-up outplayed you, well, you just suck. How is that more comforting?

It seems a bit arbitrary for you to deem that casuals don't care if they lose because they suck, but they do care if they lose because they suck when it's against somebody who knows ATs.

Why is it any more entitled for a competitive player to want a serious match than for a casual player not to want a serious match? What makes the casual player inherently right in this situation, while the competitive player is wrong? If I'm a competitive player, I want to play people as good as I am so I can have fun, enjoyable matches. I didn't ask to be put with somebody who sucks any more than somebody who sucks asked to be put with me.

Casuals don't have to want a serious match, and nobody should force them to. Equally, however, other players will want serious matches, and nobody should force them not to. There is plenty of space for both groups to coexist.

If you're bringing in anecdotal examples, allow me to share one of my own. Brawl was the first Smash game I owned, and the first one I played to any great extent. I was a casual in every sense of the word. I played against only my friends, I had no inkling of what powershielding was, let alone any ATs, and I was unaware a competitive scene even existed.

A couple years back, I started playing Melee with some friends who were quite good and performed Melee's ATs regularly. I got my ass beat, hard. But it wasn't because I was "artificially handicapped"-it was because they were better players. And I knew that! So will any casual who gets destroyed by a competitive player. ATs aren't the difference; pure skill at the game is still the determining factor. Indeed I would challenge your basic assumption that a casual player would prefer to lose to somebody who isn't using ATs. How many times have you heard somebody blame a game for screwing them over and rendering them unable to do anything when the failure was really their fault? People use it as a coping mechanism to deal with failure all of the time.

By your logic, no gameplay secrets should exist at all, because they're unfair to people who don't know them. Samus being able to transform into ZSS via taunts? Let's take that out, it's unfair to casual Samus players who can't be bothered to look up how to do it and are therefore always stuck with one character.

I know you don't want Sakurai catering exclusively to the competitive community, and neither do I, but you are not arguing from a position of wanting Sakurai to cater to both audiences. You are arguing for full-on catering to casuals, from a perspective that it matters more how the casual player is impacted than the competitive. Both parties should receive equal consideration.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Okay we need to explain this. When a casual player plays online, they want to feel like they HAVE the same tools as all of the pros. However, if the pros have a tool (Wavedashing/L-Canceling) that the casual player cannot perform. They feel a lot weaker than they should. Taking away those extra tools makes the casual player feel like they lost because of their own skill and not because of that tool, which makes them want to get better.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
WRONG

Somebody who's only owned the game for a week should not come close to beating an individual who put an excessive amount of time mastering the game. Yes, lower skilled players need to EARN THE RIGHT to compete at a high level. They need to do a lot of research. They need to do a lot of practice. They need to do a lot of WORK. THAT'S LIFE!
What in the hell is wrong with your reading comprehension? When did I ever say "win"? I said "play". As in, the game loads and their characters are on a stage with our characters and we all push buttons. Again, if we're talking Apex 2014-15, you're right. But we're not. We're talking about logging onto an online service that has to work for everyone.

Jesus christ, get off your high horse. You aren't special just because you spend 10 hours a day practicing combos. Why in the hell should anyone EARN the right to play against you, as if it's somehow special? You're a dude. A dude who presses buttons to make pretty colors on a screen. Get off it.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
This kinda ties into what Jack Kieser said, but I thought it was a good point so im gonna say it again...

Players who are new to smash DO NOT have any passion for the game. If any of us were to play a casual using ATs that only we've discovered, it would still bother them but not as much as we think it would. If you want a serious match, DON'T go somewhere where it might be possible to face a casual because it would just **** their day up.

~Just imagine there was a game, not even a fighting game, where there were ATs that we could not know and would NOT WANT to know.

For example, for some reason you want to do an online time trial of the game "Sonic Colors". You play the game, and beat the level. You THINK you got a good time/score. All of a sudden, someone comes along who has been practicing for a speed run for years, he uses ATs that you never knew existed and gets 1/2 your time and x3 your score. It would bother you that this guy beat you, but your not gonna practice day in and day out just to get better to beat him. He might be thinking "If you want a serious match, get better or GTFO!" 9 times out of 10 you gonna GTFO because the game means nothing to you.

Going back to smash. People still think playing the game competitively is dumb, just as you might have thought the speed-runner racing that stage for years was dumb, but every person has their own values and intrests. Thinking everyone spends their whole life learning smash is just really ignorant... but yet some people still do and between them there is no tension.

To avoid this, it would be wise for the makers of smash(its not just Sakurai) to make a setting where first timers can randomly face first timers and vetrans can randomly play vetrans. If some newbie comes and joins the vetrans section, then they'll have to deal with that. It could also be an unlockable setting meaning that if you can complete certain criteria, the game thinks your good enough to go into the vetrans' game.

*Thoughts?/Opinions?/Commentary?*

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

I seriously think everyone should watch this. It has a lot to do with what we are talking about.

The jest of what they are talking about is that if there that "noobs" don't want to get better at the game because they feel as if they are cheated that the pros are so good at the game. Which means not many people would play online anymore making it a wasteland. We should make a gateway to the competitive scene, not a wall. Taking away wavedashing, would make new players feel they lost because THEY aren't good enough instead of the fact they can't wavedash. In return would want them to get stronger and not frustrated.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Okay we need to explain this. When a casual player plays online, they want to feel like they HAVE the same tools as all of the pros. However, if the pros have a tool (Wavedashing/L-Canceling) that the casual player cannot perform. They feel a lot weaker than they should. Taking away those extra tools makes the casual player feel like they lost because of their own skill and not because of that tool, which makes them want to get better.
I don't expect my personal experience to apply across the board, but as a former Brawl casual who got into Melee and was regularly destroyed by people using ATs, I can state with 100% confidence that I was never put off getting better by not knowing the ATs.

Anybody who is actually serious about getting good at a game will take time and do their research, because that's what it takes to get good, whether you are looking up bullet damage in CS, frame data in Street Fighter, or glitches in Starcraft.

People aren't required to want to get better, and it's totally fine for somebody to have no desire to improve at a game at all, but to argue that ATs are going to put people off from becoming involved in the competitive scene just doesn't hold much water. Either you want to get better and you will, or you don't and you won't.

I don't even particularly want L-cancelling to return, either.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Hold on, Jack.

Please answer me this: is it inherently wrong for players to be efficient at a game?

I mean, is wrong for someone who understands how to hone their skills into becoming 'efficient' to demonstrate how that dedication paid off in their favor? Is being better at something than another person a bad thing?

VA3TO

Smash Apprentice

So why can't they learn? Why can't they aspire to come to getting better as opposed to making it easier? How does that make sense?

Have people at that level player against people at that level. Its in all walks of any form of competition. Why should this be different?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Hold on, Jack.

Please answer me this: is it inherently wrong for players to be efficient at a game?

I mean, is wrong for someone who understands how to hone their skills into becoming 'efficient' to demonstrate how that dedication paid off in their favor? Is being better at something than another person a bad thing?
Not necessarily, however you want the new players to feel like they can reach the pro level. If wavedashing is gone, the good players WOULD still be good. So it wouldn't really change anything.

So why can't they learn? Why can't they aspire to come to getting better as opposed to making it easier? How does that make sense?

Have people at that level player against people at that level. Its in all walks of any form of competition. Why should this be different?
There is something called a Learning Curve. If the new players feel like they can never be that good because of wavedashing, whether or not that is true. We have failed. We want new players to feel as if they CAN be has cool as the pros. So giving them the SAME tools as the pros use will make them understand that the game is all about the skill of the players rather than a single wavedash.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
What in the hell is wrong with your reading comprehension? When did I ever say "win"? I said "play". As in, the game loads and their characters are on a stage with our characters and we all push buttons. Again, if we're talking Apex 2014-15, you're right. But we're not. We're talking about logging onto an online service that has to work for everyone.
No. You're arguing that casual players shouldn't get stomped by people that have a better understanding of the game's mechanics. My reading comprehension is fine.

Jesus christ, get off your high horse. You aren't special just because you spend 10 hours a day practicing combos. Why in the hell should anyone EARN the right to play against you, as if it's somehow special? You're a dude. A dude who presses buttons to make pretty colors on a screen. Get off it.
I'm a terrible Smash player captain assumption. I can't wavedash effectively in the heat of battle and I can't SHFFL properly with someone like Fox. If I have the mechanical side of the game mastered with only a moderate amount of practice put into it (Brawl) the game becomes pointless to play. I, as well as many others, need that progression to keep my interest. Otherwise I'll play something else that actually challenges me and pushes me to my limits. That's what keeps a game fresh and thriving. There's no point in getting good at something if any ol' Joe can do it instinctively.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
There is something called a Learning Curve. If the new players feel like they can never be that good because of wavedashing, whether or not that is true. We have failed. We want new players to feel as if they CAN be has cool as the pros. So giving them the SAME tools as the pros use will make them understand that the game is all about the skill of the players rather than a single wavedash.
The bolded statement is indeed true, but you have offered no proof that new players are going to feel this way. It's simply not possible to generalize one view across such a broad playerbase. Many new players would probably be put off by concepts such as powershielding or chaingrabbing, and many would not, just as many would be put off of competitive play by ATs while others might feel ATs provide an incentive to get better by giving players a "game secret" they can show off and feel good about.

Serious question here, not trying to be snarky: do you think subsequent versions of Smash should have DI? It appears to meet all of the criteria here of a technique that is unfair to casual players.

I'll say this again, because I feel that people are ignoring it: advanced techniques can also serve as an incentive to improve at the game, because being able to perform ATs marks you as a "good" player, as one who is "in the know", and allows you to show off your competence and knowledge to others.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
No. You're arguing that casual players shouldn't get stomped by people that have a better understanding of the game's mechanics. My reading comprehension is fine.

I'm a terrible Smash player captain assumption. I can't wavedash effectively in the heat of battle and I can't SHFFL properly with someone like Fox. If I have the mechanical side of the game mastered with only a moderate amount of practice put into it (Brawl) the game becomes pointless to play. I, as well as many others, need that progression to keep my interest. Otherwise I'll play something else that actually challenges me and pushes me to my limits. That's what keeps a game fresh and thriving. There's no point in getting good at something if any ol' Joe can do it instinctively.
So your saying it is easy to master brawl? That any old chump can become the best at the game? That is really rationalizing. If you look at the Brawl Tournaments there is as much thinking and planning as there is in most other fighting games. Sure, it is slower paced, but that doesn't make it any less of a fighting game.

The bolded statement is indeed true, but you have offered no proof that new players are going to feel this way. It's simply not possible to generalize one view across such a broad playerbase. Many new players would probably be put off by concepts such as powershielding or chaingrabbing, and many would not, just as many would be put off of competitive play by ATs while others might feel ATs provide an incentive to get better by giving players a "game secret" they can show off and feel good about.

Serious question here, not trying to be snarky: do you think subsequent versions of Smash should have DI? It appears to meet all of the criteria here of a technique that is unfair to casual players.
You seem to think that there is more hardcore smashers than there are casuals. Many coming from Brawl to SSB4, mostly under the age of 15. We WANT those kids to be the pros of the next generation of Smash. However, if we stomp them into the ground and make them feel bad they won't even try online.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I don't expect my personal experience to apply across the board, but as a former Brawl casual who got into Melee and was regularly destroyed by people using ATs, I can state with 100% confidence that I was never put off getting better by not knowing the ATs.

Anybody who is actually serious about getting good at a game will take time and do their research, because that's what it takes to get good, whether you are looking up bullet damage in CS, frame data in Street Fighter, or glitches in Starcraft.

People aren't required to want to get better, and it's totally fine for somebody to have no desire to improve at a game at all, but to argue that ATs are going to put people off from becoming involved in the competitive scene just doesn't hold much water. Either you want to get better and you will, or you don't and you won't.

I don't even particularly want L-cancelling to return, either.
L-canceling, and wavedashing are most likely not gonna be in SSB4 cuz of two reasons.
1. Sakurai said he didnt like how people treated melee as a competitive game (He knows about L-Cancel and WD)
2. He's using Brawl's game engine.

I hear you say that you use to play brawl, and I can tell you that Sakurai doesn't know (or didnt state that he knew) about Brawl's ATs. So most likely DAC, Glide Toss, etc. will still be in the game. ;)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
When I played casual smash, I did not need to play well to enjoy the game.
Indeed. As somebody who spent a majority of my years playing Smash as a casual, and who then made the jump right into Melee against very good players using ATs, I simply cannot understand why people feel entitled to speak for the "casual" userbase as a whole. Smash has millions of casual players. You can't generalize one point of view across that many people, and indeed I suspect that my experience and the experiences of many others on this site rather firmly reject the notion that all casuals will lose any desire to improve if they get stomped by somebody who knows a game technique that they do not.

VA3TO

Smash Apprentice
Not necessarily, however you want the new players to feel like they can reach the pro level. If wavedashing is gone, the good players WOULD still be good. So it wouldn't really change anything.

But they DO have the same tools as the Pros. What is to stop them using Wavedashing? It's not like they have to unlock it by playing the game longer, they have access to it if they wish to practice it. If they can't be bothered to practice then they should lose.

If you want a Free for All with items on go ahead, AT's don't affect it in the slightest. If you want a proper 1v1 match then adapt to the playstyle. It's not a difficult concept.

Top Bottom