• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you get started playing Smash?

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Well I played the one on the 64 as a kid occasionally when I went places, but I didn't own a 64 until a bit into the GameCube era (and had a GCN 3 months later). When I was in about 7th grade, my friend introduced me to Melee and I instantly went crazy... I wasn't able to get the game for a while at that point, but I bummed it off of friends for about a year and a half since everybody had a copy of Melee. I obsessively played it for a long while, and then Brawl came out. To say the least I started playing Brawl more than I did Melee. (I still hold to SSBM being a better game, but with Brawl's added content, I really took off completely there.)

So yeah, that's kind of my story.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
My grandparents bought me the game. Never heard of the series until then.

THANK YOU OLD PEOPLE.

IYM!

Smash Lord
My mother gave to me a copy of the Smash 64 at chrismas when i was 10 years old, i liked the game so much.
One of the main reason for chose this game was Link, yes, i am a fanboy :bee:, i enjoied so much, even now i play it some times.

after a year, i could test Melee, and i love it even more, and after another year i could buy it. Was Hours an hours of fun, fighting with the CPU, beating the 1 player modes and challengin my friends.

After 2 years, my game turn more competitive, my playstile with Link is good, and i am not afraid to say than i am one of the best Smash player here in my city, at least with Link.

after that, Brawl came to me, i had the oportunity to play it and to be honest i like it very much.

But after a year of playing it, i figured out how slow the game is, and how far away are in terms of skills, balance and fun is in comparation with melee.

Even play it like a party game ( with items and in banned stages) isn so fun as is do it in melee.

i am not a brawl hater, i still play it some times, but i prefer the previously 2 games

I played the 3 games, i love the 3 games, and i still playing the 3 games when i am in my free times.

Melee> 64> brawl are the order of priority.

trickyghost

Smash Cadet
I remember getting smash 64 for christmas when I was really young, and my friends and I were instantly hooked. Yoshi being one of my favorite nintendo characters instantly drew me to him and I've been playing every smash game since then XD

Raccoon_Mario22

Smash Cadet
I first got into Smash Bros. when I visited my cousin's on the 4th of July and we played together. They left me alone for a while, (I was around 7 or 8 at the time) and I finished classic mode with Jigglypuff, granted it took me a couple of continues. Ever since I loved Smash Bros. but never had an N64 or GC because money was tight and when we got the Wii for Christmas 7 months ago, I bought Brawl for Christmas as a present for myself and was instantly hooked on it.

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
I went to Blockbuster with my little brother and rented Smash 64. The rest is history.

Yes, back in the day we actually walked to these places called "rental stores". I miss those days - you always got excited over renting a new game, only to show up at the store and see that barely any games were in stock (and ultimately you would end up having to choose between the few decent titles that were).

But **** late fees. Seriously.

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
Oh Lord. . . The first time i played Smash 64 was at my friends house when i was 6. Greatest Experience Ever

Mercurium

Smash Rookie
I first played SSB 64 when I was 6 or something, I didn't even know what SSB was until my cousins got a Gamecube and Melee, but after they got those, I spent so much time playing Melee with them. Eventually I got a Wii and then I heard brawl was coming out and I was all
"Must. Get. This."
So yeah.

YamiRyuu

Smash Rookie
My cousin got me into gaming all together, so when I saw he had Brawl, I thought it was amazing and had to have it, unfortunately we didn't have a Wii, but we did have a Gamecube, so I got Melee, and I got into that so when we finally got a Wii I just had to have Brawl, and here I am today.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
it was around 1999 or 2000 I guess. We were watching TV with this awesome, more than awesome TV ad (Germany) "Es läuft etwas grundsätzlich schief im putzigen happy Nintendo Land" (There is something completely wrong in the cute happy Nintendo land.)
I just loved the game. Then, some months later I saw the game on the window of a second-hand shop. I ran home took my 25 DM (around 12 euro) and bought it (after waiting for the shop to open of course)

The games were really expensive back then, I bought Pokemon Snap for 120 DM, and was really sad, because this game was really dumb. It's okay to pay 10 euro for the virtual console, but 60 euro... was way too much for me back then

shrillbert

Smash Apprentice
I'd been interested in the series since Melee, but I never had a Gamecube, so when I got our Wii, I thought I could get Brawl since I'd heard so much about it. I've enjoyed it ever sincem though I still need to get Melee sometime soon.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Being a Pokemon fan I heard about Smash through Serebii.net and the local gamestore. After trying Melee with my friends, 1st character was Falco, I was interested enought to buy it. Which I did back in 05-06 by buying the $100 Gamecube/Melee bundle.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I started playing MKW in 2008. I joined the MKW Forum, and I saw people talking about brawl. I decided to get the game and I loved it.

miharuka

Smash Cadet
My brothers had SSBM.
I was used to watch them playing and I enjoyed it.
I was a little bit too young to play video games back then. xD
Then after a while I started to play it as well and I loved it.
A friend liked it too and joined me. She didn't really liked to fight, though..
More to taunt and play around and stuff. She always went angry on me, because I attacked her too much. xD
THEN I GOT A WII! WITH BRAWL! :3 And I looooved it. x3
Especially those cutscenes. ^^ And I found a new friend who loved it as well. We used to fight a lot against each other and it can make us laugh a lot. xD

Horizont

Smash Cadet
When I was young, my mom and I would go to dinner and go to Blockbuster after. I saw Smash 64's case with Mario and Pikachu and I had to rent it. I rented it several times, then for Christmas or something I got it. I was ecstatic, and played it a lot.

Then I got a gamecube and Melee for another Christmas, and I was so excited to see Peach on the roster.

I started to move away from gaming for a while, and rarely played. Then one day a little over a year ago my gamer friend came over and he brought Brawl. I didn't like Brawl at first, because I thought I had to use the awkward wiimote. Then he let me borrow it for like a month and I discovered the gamecube controller worked. I started playing it a lot. I tried a lot of characters, mainly focusing on Lucario and Olimar.

When my friend took his disc back, I went out to buy my own immediately. I quickly unlocked all the characters and stages and developed my Olimar, and slowly moved into ZSS and Falco.

A few days ago, I decided to give Melee a try again. To me, Melee is far superior to Brawl, especially because Peach and Jigglypuff are amazing and fun in it. I plan on attending my first tournament soon, and I definitely plan on playing all 3 Smash games for years to come.

Tsubame

Smash Cadet
I saw the sb64 commercial, and i thought... Pikachu!!

Yeah i was 4 at the time so i actually just liked pokemon.. then i found out i liked link and only using smash attacks worked on lvl 1 ai's (and found out how to finally unlock weegee) x3

then i got melee and worked on my game when i turned twelve or something i started entering small tournaments using luigi.. lol

and that brought me to today where i play brawl any minute of free time x) wich is actually not all that much xD

Top Bottom