• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How characters should earn the special

Vash619

Smash Apprentice
I honestly dont care how its incorporated into the gameplay i just hope thats tourny's wont have them on, major tide changers ;<, but i would love to see them in casual play ^_^

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
Farsoul said:
It is probably something that you can turn on/off during the match but it might work in the same way that you described. Though if it were an item I can just picture how the CPU would react to it..same with pokeballs or healing items, y'know?
God how i hate how the cpu charas are pokeball whores. They stop whatever they are doing just to et a pokeball (though it does make it fun when you set some motion senser bombs around it.)

Death_In_A_Can

Smash Rookie
The special attack is an item shaped like the Smash Bros. symbol (a circle with two crossing lines going through it). It was in the video I think...a character grabbed it in midair and did the attack.

toasty4you

Smash Apprentice
Falco&Victory said:
Guys,gals,wookies,ewaks,I do not know how many times I have said this,but I am here once more to say again.IT IS A F***IN ITEM!!!No bars,you can turn it off,it activates when you get it,ALL OF THIS WAS INPLIED IN tHE VIDEO!!!BARS WOULD SUCK!!!JUST DROP IT AND LOOK IN 1 OF 200 OTHER TOPICS!!!I BET I WILL HAVE SAID THIS SAME THING IN EVERY ONE I HAVE CARED TO READ!!!!!!!!IT IS A GOD D**N ITEM!!!

Exactly what he said. Maybe when a character is behind in a match then the 'special' item will fall onto the stage (a tad bit faster then a heart falling onto the stage) and if he/she doesn't touch it in time (before it hits the ground) then it will dissapear? I don't know. I'm not good at predicting things. :psycho:

LeonVII

Smash Apprentice
Tenkenryuu said:
That's like saying, the people who stink at this game would lose a lot, so that would be unfair.

I think it will be an item. You didn't have to "earn" bob-ombs and and stars in either game. I also think it won't be as decimating as we expect.
If they suck at the game then they'll lose anyway so it is fair.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
ou do not understand.It is nothing more than a normal,rare,awesome,regular,ITEM!!!Nothing more,nothing less,just a new item.Like the nintendog,it is a new,ITEM!!!GET OVER IT!!!

LeonVII

Smash Apprentice
Falco&Victory said:
ou do not understand.It is nothing more than a normal,rare,awesome,regular,ITEM!!!Nothing more,nothing less,just a new item.Like the nintendog,it is a new,ITEM!!!GET OVER IT!!!
That's never been announced. People assumed it was an item after watching the trailer

Kalaquinn

Smash Apprentice
In the trailer, right around the :24 mark when Mario does his super, you'll notice if you playback slow-mo that the super barely sends Link or Kirby anywhere. If you ask me, the super looks on the level of a Entei or Ho-oh pokeball. It's rarity should probably be the same asf one of those; although, I could see something like one or two supers a match.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Its an item.

It shouldn't be a bar.

It'll drop on the stage rarely and randomly. (Unless you turn all items off except for the super smash. =x)

Anyway, it'll just fall-- and everyone will see it and the first there gets it.

Just like the starman, hammer, or homerun bat. Everyone loves those items, and they fall once per 2-3 games if you have all items on with normal drop rate.

But if you're like me, you'll play with no items in the first place.

But yeah, if you're kicking ***, you don't deserve a super hit-- because you're already doing well. If you're sucking, then you don't deserve a super hit because it'll make the other players's work all for nothing.

Zink

Smash Champion
And if you're in the middle, you don't deserve a super hit because you aren't winning. Eh?
Anyone can so the super, and it doesn't matter if they're winning or not.

JPW

Smash Ace
i reckon it could work out like Mario Kart: DD with the specials.
An item will come up randomly during the brawl, and whoever grabs it, will have a special show up in the display bar, and they can use it anytime they want. And you can only have one special at a time.

like Xsyven has said.

Or to be a real tease you only get one special for every brawl. And it's up to you when you use it. This could push the fun of losers making it their dying wish. Going out on a bang.

The meter does sound good, but if so, i kind of like the ideal of an item floating round, you grab it, and get your meter, and depending on your meter power at the time you use it, will also reflect the damage.

Vasilicus

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone notice the fact that it was hovering? It didn't jsut fall onto the stage, it was hovering there in midair. I bet it was a stage special. They stopped getting them after they left that stage.

Zink

Smash Champion
LOL, a whole new game mechanic being restricted to one stage? No. Likely they just used that stage to showcase the super moves.

Zink

Smash Champion
Um, why? It's only an item, and presumably a rare one. I'd expect it to be of about the same power of a legendary pokemon, or maybe a bit more depending on the character.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
ACTUALY, people mostly think that how you earn the special is by getting one item. however I belive it will work like this:

there will be a LOT of smash orbs that fall on to the stage somehow. perhaps by beating up your enemy or something. the player collects them and they fill up a gauge. and if you want to get even more complicated, the gauge will have 3 levels. once at least one of the levels are reached, you press a special buttin that triggers the super. or if there is only one super for each character, once the gauge is full, then the super will be triggered automaticaly or something. eh? eh?

Ami

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Falco&Victory
Guys,gals,wookies,ewaks,I do not know how many times I have said this,but I am here once more to say again.IT IS A F***IN ITEM!!!No bars,you can turn it off,it activates when you get it,ALL OF THIS WAS INPLIED IN tHE VIDEO!!!BARS WOULD SUCK!!!JUST DROP IT AND LOOK IN 1 OF 200 OTHER TOPICS!!!I BET I WILL HAVE SAID THIS SAME THING IN EVERY ONE I HAVE CARED TO READ!!!!!!!!IT IS A GOD D**N ITEM!!!
*Wookiees
*Ewoks

Anyway, I agree that the Special shouldn't be executed after a special gauge fills up or whatever, and I do agree that it the stage shouldn't have anything to do with the Special. I think it's a pretty good idea that the Special will most likely not KO people, but more along the lines of a Legendary Pokemon.

No point arguing if it's a gauge, an item, or whatever. I guess we'll just have to wait until the game comes out.

LeonVII

Smash Apprentice
OKAY we get it people, from the trailer it looks like you get an item to do your special. This has never been confirmed by Nintendo it was only assumed. So when people talk about a meter STFU because nothing is permanent at this time, it can still be changed dumb*****.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Falco&Victory is still an idiot? I thought he would've wisened up by now.

Like Leon said, NONE of you know how the supers will be activated. I know you THINK you do, but Tom Cruise THINKS that a dead alien god lives in volcanoes and sends spirits to possess people who cause bad feelings. Does that make it true? No, it doesn't.

So far, it looks like it will be activated with an item. However:

the DIRECTOR of the frikking game said:
The flatulence you saw in the movie is a fantastic move we're tentatively calling the Wario Waft. The more time passes, the more Wario's gas builds up...
Well, the flatulence we saw in the movie was definitely super-worthy. And him saying it's a "fantastic move" lends to the credence that the Waft is indeed his super. So what do you nay-sayers have to say about the fact that it builds up over time. Notice how he didn't say "the Waft is activated by an item." Actually, he deliberately said something else.

So again, while a bunch of you pretend that you know supers are activated by an item only, you actually don't know what you're talking about, and more the try and argue your "case," the more full of **** you really are.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Mr. G&W's bucket attack builds up after you catch projectiles... it'll probably just be another new style of attack.

If specials aren't caused by an item, then I have no idea in hell what that Smash logo does.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
It could instantly send you to Super mode, while getting regular Smash bonuses would add to it slowly.

Like I said, I don't know, but neither do any of you.

icymatt

Smash Lord
As I stated before, I believe the statement means that the supers become more powerful as time passes. So, if you grab a Smash icon as early as possible, your super won't be very effective. Wait for a while, and it's devastating.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Curse you Nintendo and your thirst for enraging the human mind with unknown facts!!!!!11one

Vasilicus

Smash Journeyman
Grrrrrrr..... don't ever say anything against the people who made Smash in front of me or you risk death by me posting my signature 19 times on the same page so your computer freezes when you try to view it.

StridrK

Smash Rookie
Too the person that was sooo certain that it was an item. Where's your source ? The trailer ? That doesn't really explain much. It could power him up or be an item that automatically give the player a super, but that doesn't mean that in order to initiate a super you must grab that item. I think it'll be similiar to a Mario Tenniss type super. Just more rare. Like there's no gauge, but you pull of a lot of combos or rack up a lot of attacks and things. Then you glow or whatever and that's when you know you have a super. Also, Mario's super doesn't take up the whole screen, as seen in the trailer it looks like you can jump over it. It also doesn't look incredibly fast so you'll have time. I think a triple jump or a double jump with some characters would be able to make it above that attack. No one knows for sure though as that's my opinion.

1338h4x

Smash Apprentice
For those saying Mario's covers the screen, it obviously won't do too much damage. I imagine some will do slight damage to multiple foes, some will do major damage to one foe, some will knockback one foe, etc.

Falco&Victory is still an idiot? I thought he would've wisened up by now.

Like Leon said, NONE of you know how the supers will be activated. I know you THINK you do, but Tom Cruise THINKS that a dead alien god lives in volcanoes and sends spirits to possess people who cause bad feelings. Does that make it true? No, it doesn't.

So far, it looks like it will be activated with an item. However:

Well, the flatulence we saw in the movie was definitely super-worthy. And him saying it's a "fantastic move" lends to the credence that the Waft is indeed his super. So what do you nay-sayers have to say about the fact that it builds up over time. Notice how he didn't say "the Waft is activated by an item." Actually, he deliberately said something else.

So again, while a bunch of you pretend that you know supers are activated by an item only, you actually don't know what you're talking about, and more the try and argue your "case," the more full of **** you really are.
I think that people should give credibility to this statement.Hmm..that does sound reasonable,building up energy over time.

And the other thing i liked was thestatement about the Mario Power Tennis theory.But as we stand.we still know nothing of it,so we just need to wait.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I don't really care if it's an item or not, but I do want to point out the constant complaining that supers will be too powerful. From where I'm standing, I didn't see anyone get ko'd by the attack and if you really want to complain about an item, what ablut the homerun bat? An instant ko weapon that you could use until you drop it? I think the supers are just a way to make the characters look more flashy and intresting.

LeonVII

Smash Apprentice
I'm still thinking Wario's profile is giving us a good indicator of how the super moves will work.
Their might be an invisible meter in the game that fills up slowly over time from fighting allowing you to get a special, and then their might be an item that completely fills up the special meter. So people need to quit shooting down the idea of a meter and b******* about it being to Street Fighterish.

Top Bottom