• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How characters should earn the special

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Too the person that was sooo certain that it was an item. Where's your source ? The trailer ? That doesn't really explain much. It could power him up or be an item that automatically give the player a super, but that doesn't mean that in order to initiate a super you must grab that item. I think it'll be similiar to a Mario Tenniss type super. Just more rare. Like there's no gauge, but you pull of a lot of combos or rack up a lot of attacks and things. Then you glow or whatever and that's when you know you have a super. Also, Mario's super doesn't take up the whole screen, as seen in the trailer it looks like you can jump over it. It also doesn't look incredibly fast so you'll have time. I think a triple jump or a double jump with some characters would be able to make it above that attack. No one knows for sure though as that's my opinion.
I'm just saying in the video, there's a part where Mario obviously grabs the item, and then it proceeds shows his super, followed by the other 3 returning characters. I'm sure that smash logo (Which is an ITEM) has SOMETHING to do with using your super. And it's been said that this game is going for an 'easier' gameplay. Special combos, or random gages aren't easier, nor are they the SSB style that distinguishes this series from the rest.

In the video, why would they make the Super Smash hits come right after Mario grabs the token? Because... it has to do something with the SUPER SMASH.

As for the Wario Waft, we still don't even know if that's his Super Smash. He COULD just build up gas by holding down the B button, like unto Roy's charge, Samus's Charge, DK's charge... it might be nothing new. This is ALL speculation. Like McFox said, NOTHING of the super smash has been confirmed. What I'M saying, is that the video leans a whole lot more to the fact that it'll be an item rather than a 'secret gage' that someone thought ofand posted on the internet.

I'v been reading through and it seems that mostly everyone thinks it should be combo based...but that would completly destroy the games little balance.

Why shoud someone earn a special if they are getting the crap beat out of them?Thats just jumping from the skillet into the fire,it possible would be better if it went to the under dog of the match.

But,also,maybe each character could have their own way to get a special....possible.

LeonVII

Smash Apprentice
Why shoud someone earn a special if they are getting the crap beat out of them?Thats just jumping from the skillet into the fire,it possible would be better if it went to the under dog of the match.
No Fighting game ever rewarded anybody for getting the s*** knocked out of them.

LeonVII

Smash Apprentice
That makes sense but the person who is losing gets a small amount of their special to make it fair. If they suck they wouldn't win anyway so they don't need the special.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
The only way to be fair is to make it an item and that is what is going to be. I'll bet anything right now it will be an item. They are not going to add a stupid meter, Sakurai himself said he wanted to make the game easier. And I'm sure doing complicated combos to fill a meter would be easy. Plus a meter is just going to break what makes smash, smash. Smash is a game that stands out from other fighting games and they are going to want to continue thier standing out nature.

The only way to be fair is to make it an item and that is what is going to be. I'll bet anything right now it will be an item. They are not going to add a stupid meter, Sakurai himself said he wanted to make the game easier. And I'm sure doing complicated combos to fill a meter would be easy. Plus a meter is just going to break what makes smash, smash. Smash is a game that stands out from other fighting games and they are going to want to continue thier standing out nature.
You can't state that as a fact,due to te fact that nothing is official of right now.

Eaode

Smash Champion
why does this thread even exist? watch the brawl trailer and skip to 0:22. I'm pretty sure that mario just grabbed an ITEM and then did the super (after glowing). Why is there an arguement?

and if you be all nitpicky about Sakurai and the waft move, he also didn't EXACTLY say it was the super did he???

Eaode

Smash Champion
^^ me too, If its a fillup bar, I will spend the next 3 years thining of a way to completely hack smashboards, and give the starter of this topic infinite rep.

why does this thread even exist? watch the brawl trailer and skip to 0:22. I'm pretty sure that mario just grabbed an ITEM and then did the super (after glowing). Why is there an arguement?

and if you be all nitpicky about Sakurai and the waft move, he also didn't EXACTLY say it was the super did he???

Were just going by the context of what he said,and don't you think that attack was something in the line of super?

Because if it isn't i dont know what you can call something of that magnitute.

The 5th Police

Smash Journeyman
has anyone even thought hmmmm? y would they show u a super if u can turn off the item? if they're going to introduce new items y not a mega bob-bom instead of the super?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
You can't state that as a fact,due to te fact that nothing is official of right now.
You've gatta be kidding me! Then if it's not an item, tell me what the Smash Bros. icon is that Mario so blatantly grabs-- then proceeds to use his super?

If your logic is correct, then Pit really can't fly since Sakurai didn't say he could-- it's just in the video.

SporeFrog

Smash Cadet
You've gatta be kidding me! Then if it's not an item, tell me what the Smash Bros. icon is that Mario so blatantly grabs-- then proceeds to use his super?

If your logic is correct, then Pit really can't fly since Sakurai didn't say he could-- it's just in the video.
Because if one thing is valid from a source, everything is? Yeah! Right!?

WRONG!!!

That's quite possibly worse logic than that which you just attempted to refute. You cannot assume one thing or another based on your own interpretations of something you know nothing about! The only way this thread is going to be answered is a direct answer from the developers or anyone else who gets their hands on the actual game as it approaches release.

Jigg

Smash Journeyman
No Fighting game ever rewarded anybody for getting the s*** knocked out of them.
Naruto GNT 1-4 all rewarded you with chakra (you can escape from hits or use a super by building up chakra) when ever you:
1. hit an opponent
2. teched (by pressing a or b right as you hit the ground after being knocked into the air)
3. got hit by an opponent

most of my friends consider ssbm to be more of a "real" fighting game than naruto, but naruto is still a fighting game, and although you dont get as much chakra for getting hit as you would if you hit the guy, you are still rewarded for it. even though this is only one occurence that i know of (actually four.. but you get the point) you cant say that there are no fighting games in which getting your *** handed to you doesnt have some kind of a reward.

now on topic:
i have to agree that the trailer makes it seem like there is an item needed in order to perform the super, but that really doesnt mean anything. of couse everybody that says that could be right... we have no idea how this game will play.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Consider this. Homerun Bat doesn't need to be charged by combos or time passing and it can instantly ko you. Why wouldn't the supers be activated by items?

Eaode

Smash Champion
The waft probably does not even look that big, as Zink said, it wasn't gameplay footage. Just like Samus's ginourmous charge blast befire shedding her suit, it wasn't gameplay, so it really doesn't mean anything.

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, most of those special attacks looked like cutscenes (with the exception of Mario's). But what I just don't understand is why people argue about things that they cant prove... Just wait until the game comes out, then argue if a gauge (or item, depending on what it is) would have worked out better...

Eaode

Smash Champion
when the character glows orange, that is definitely their super. that only happenned for mario, link, and kirby. the other one not only weren't gameplay, but there was was no orange glow.

StridrK

Smash Rookie
Okay fine, maybe the combo idea won't work out as well. But i'm still going with the Mario Power Tennis idea scheme. The item I think wouldn't work out so well, I mean, in a 1p Vs Cpu match. You're fighting and the item pops up, considering the option that the level 9 computers in SSBM will be as dimwitted in this version, they will stop everything and try to get the item. Now 1p Vs 2p, your fighting and it pops up obviously you'll fight like crazy to get it. Then you get it and wow no skill neccessary you like rack up tons of damage. Think of something like that happening in a free for all match with 4 players. There's usually a camper so they wait for the item to come out and when it does, the other 3 will fight like crazy while the camper can just go and take it and rank up tons of damage while the others fought.

See where i'm going ? I don't think it would work as an item. Maybe it could be both a Mario Tennis special meter thing with that item ? Like the icon increases your chance of getting a special (like heightens the invisible meter). The meter gradually fills up as you fight and stay alive. How about that ? I see that working out fine.

LeonVII

Smash Apprentice
Naruto GNT 1-4 all rewarded you with chakra (you can escape from hits or use a super by building up chakra) when ever you:
1. hit an opponent
2. teched (by pressing a or b right as you hit the ground after being knocked into the air)
3. got hit by an opponent

most of my friends consider ssbm to be more of a "real" fighting game than naruto, but naruto is still a fighting game, and although you dont get as much chakra for getting hit as you would if you hit the guy, you are still rewarded for it. even though this is only one occurence that i know of (actually four.. but you get the point) you cant say that there are no fighting games in which getting your *** handed to you doesnt have some kind of a reward.

now on topic:
i have to agree that the trailer makes it seem like there is an item needed in order to perform the super, but that really doesnt mean anything. of couse everybody that says that could be right... we have no idea how this game will play.
:confused: If you took the time to read you would notice that I said you get some of your when you get beat up dumb***. Like I said in an earlier post, the only one in the trailer that gets an item is mario. Samus shoots her blast and didn't get an item, so there could still be an invisible meter that gives you your special like in most fighting games and then there could also be an item that fills up your meter instantly. I don't know why people keep acting so f****** stupid and reposting " I think it's an item because in the video..." STFU!:mad:

trevbang

Smash Cadet
I think it would be best if it was when the crowd cheered for you. That way the cheers could actually have an affect on gameplay. Falco's cult following could build up the demonic energy as time passes =)

Eaode

Smash Champion
thank you Zink, and there was no evidence that was the special at all. Although it could be a demonstration of what the super could be (Maybe they didn't program it yet, so they went for a cinematic scene lol)
EDIT: so slow, now this post is on a new page -_-

ynnek123

Smash Ace
I hope when you have given a certain amount of damage, a power meter wil fill and the item shows up(when you take damage, the bar goes back). that would be fair cause when you fight with bowser (or another slow character) and the other character is very fast, you would never get a chance to use a super smash attack.

eXspriggan

Smash Apprentice
I like the ideas about having to earn to execute your super smash. As long as theres an option to turn it on and off im sure itll be fine.

T-major

Smash Champion
this may have all ready been said... but Mario grabs the Smash token... in a cinematic!! it wasn't gameplay, so you can't say that the supers will be used via item. like a few people said before, we don't know anything about the super moves. for all we know, they might not even acualy be in the game (unless comfirmed, if so I missed that). they could have been put in the video just to make it look flashy.

also, even if they are comfirmed, if you don't like them, you would most defenatly be able to turn them off (item or not). then you wouldn't have to worry about them. they would also be in real time, and not in cinematic scenes (the supers in the video were cinimatics so that they could showcase them better).

smashbros_777

Smash Journeyman
An adreniline bar when ever you hit someone your adreniline goes up. The stronger the move the more adreniline you get. For example:

Mario

If he uses his fireball his adreniline will slightly go up

[|----------------------------------------------------------------------]

If he uses a smash move that charges all the way it will go high

[|||||---------------------------------------------------------------- ]

In conclusion, If the bar reaches all the way the character will gain a special. A symbol will be put near the character's bar (the smash emblem). The max the character can get is 3. When you activate it (by pressing A and B together) your character will start to glow for a while. In that time if you press A and B again the character will unleash it.

If you know where i got the refence from congratz to you. (Gamecube WWE games)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I want them to be turnable offable (lol) but not be an item because items can be cheap. But I also don't want it to be a button combo because that is even cheaper. I can't think of anything for this, I can only hope they do the right thing.

Mr Happy Bob

Smash Rookie
Make it a VERY RARE item, like the hammer or Home Run Bat. That way you don't get it all the time. That way, the people with no life that play the game all day can't get it every 2 seconds.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
Srsly people...did you even see the trailer? Before Mario does his mega fireball special, he grabs an ITEM that looks like the Smash logo. It's an item that triggers a move.

Red Exodus: How would it being an item make it cheaper than if it wasn't?

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be best if it was when the crowd cheered for you. That way the cheers could actually have an affect on gameplay. Falco's cult following could build up the demonic energy as time passes =)
I totally agree with this idea.

Top Bottom