• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can you train for Tournies when all you have are computers?

AgentJGV

Smash Journeyman
Just what the title says. How can someone train for a tourny when they dont have an opportunity to play real people? The AI can only go so far but eventually you pick up on the computers tactics and always play off of those. HELP!!

Corigames

Smash Hero
Tee ay eye:

If you don't have an opportunity to play other people, you don't need to practice for this tournament anyway. You're not going to make it past the second round anyway.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Just play against level nine's, and your best bet from there is to try and get some friendlies in before the tournament starts.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Go to a tournament, bring your own tv/wii and play friendlies the whole time. Don't enter because that would just be giving the winner 10 bucks.

meta master

Smash Journeyman
play against level 9s. also play random against decent level CPUs because then you become better at the game in general and you know the basics of a how a person might play a certain character

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Play friendlies at the tournament. If you didn't do so hot, don't even think about participating. If you did well in friendlies, then try the tournament. Don't expect to win or anything, expect to get a higher place ranking, but not get anything for it.

Corigames

Smash Hero
This is how you get people to stop playing smash. Way to go.
So you are condoning the use or substitution of computers as opposed to human players to work on skill?

If so... you are dumb. Computers can't do what humans do. They won't do what humans do. They do some things that humans could never do, like ridiculous DIs, dodges, and other split-second button presses; at the same time they are very easy to trick, recover predictably, and never spam or camp! They aren't good players at all to train against. The only thing they are good for is working on spacing and timing on certain moves only. If you truly think they can replace a person, you are an idiot.

If not... then what are you saying?

In any case... so what if a person quits smash over this? If they can't handle the fact that they can't get better without fighting real people and don't attempt to fight real people, then they didn't stand a chance in a tournament anyway!

MakoEnergy

Smash Rookie
I say this:

For Melee:
Find an advanced technique video and practice on Training Mode until you have mastered all the moves you'll need. Watch videos of professionally played matches and study how the characters are played. Pay major attention to videos with your Main and your Mains counter Character. This is the part where friendlies before a tournament come into play. From here, test your meddle against those at the tourney. The better you fare, the more confidence you get to enter your desired tournament.

For Brawl:
There are several character guides and videos on this site: use them to your advantage! Find some move you like or that is effective and fuse it into your playing style. Then comes the friendlies and so forth.

Confidence is the key:
The better you feel, the better you'll do!

If you lose your first tourney, its ok. Most people do. Just keep going for it and don't lose hope!

Xihyon

Smash Cadet
I found the best way to keep up with Tounries is just make sure you are up to date with the latest techs and new moves that are being used. Doing so would mean Youtubing yourself to death.

Don't practice on level 9's in my opinion. Doing so will make you react to inhuman reaction time.

Friendlies are the best option you have. I would say go to a tournie, and take part in it, just to learn what to expect.

Aesir

Smash Master
So you are condoning the use or substitution of computers as opposed to human players to work on skill?
Pretty sure I didn't say this.

If so... you are dumb. Computers can't do what humans do. They won't do what humans do. They do some things that humans could never do, like ridiculous DIs, dodges, and other split-second button presses; at the same time they are very easy to trick, recover predictably, and never spam or camp! They aren't good players at all to train against. The only thing they are good for is working on spacing and timing on certain moves only. If you truly think they can replace a person, you are an idiot.
Which proves they're not useless, they're good for getting the feel of your character. In no way did I imply they were good to practice against.

If not... then what are you saying?
Pretty sure when you tell someone they probably won't even get pass the second round no matter how true it may be you're discouraging them

In any case... so what if a person quits smash over this? If they can't handle the fact that they can't get better without fighting real people and don't attempt to fight real people, then they didn't stand a chance in a tournament anyway!
Again it's a discouragement and only sets up for the person to not want to play.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Basically: No option is as good as practicing with real people.

But you can:

Play online, as long as you realize there is lag, and it won't play like normal.

Go to training and practice all of the tech abilities that you can.

That's probably the more useful things you could do. I've also done the following:

Go up against 3 level 9 CPUs until you win on 4 stocks.

Add a handicap, put your % at 300, and face a level 9 CPU until you win on 4 stocks.

Both are doable.

Both of those teach you your characters absolute safest approaches and spacing strategies.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
If you have no one to play with, practice your technical skills on a lvl 3 computer or something.
If you think you've mastered the technical aspects of the game, then you don't train for tourneys anymore, they become your training. (because computers can't teach you anything)

person701

Smash Journeyman
I found the best way to keep up with Tounries is just make sure you are up to date with the latest techs and new moves that are being used. Doing so would mean Youtubing yourself to death.

Don't practice on level 9's in my opinion. Doing so will make you react to inhuman reaction time.

Friendlies are the best option you have. I would say go to a tournie, and take part in it, just to learn what to expect.
All that is true, espesially that last part.

Some things to do w/o humans are playing low level computers(1-3) to get the feel of your character. After you have a decent grip on him/her, play the same levels and keep your game fluid, unitterupted, and your mind focused. But really, there's not a whole lot you can do w/o partners to play.

Come tournie day, play as many friendly as possible.

Btw Xihyon, EF4 ring a bell? If so, Hai there! =D

Sonic527

Smash Apprentice
If you have wi-fi, then use the friend finder. It allows you to face decent players and although it may lag at times if gives you a taste of what to expect.

extrachunky

Smash Rookie
Play wifi. Yes there will be lag and won't really show the true potential of both players but it's better than playing computers.

Or you can try to get smashfests with people from the tournies and smash with them.

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
If you have no one to play with, practice your technical skills on a lvl 3 computer or something.
If you think you've mastered the technical aspects of the game, then you don't train for tourneys anymore, they become your training. (because computers can't teach you anything)
/thread finished

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
If you don't have people to play, you're never going to get good enough to do well in any tournament at any smash game, period.

In melee, you can practice tech skill on a level 1, and that may get you good enough to beat noobs, but it won't cut it.
In Brawl you can practice your spacing against a level 9 cpu, but that won't teach anything about matchups.

the best I can say it, go to every tournament possible and play friendlies all day.
or get someone to pick you up for a smashfest. or drive there if you have a car. There is bound to be someone within an hour of you who plays smash.

otherwise, i'm sorry. People make this thread every week, there is no 'EASY' way to get good at smash. i've been training for 2 years, and I'm still barely making it out of pools in my local tournies

Leech

Smash Journeyman
I say go to versus mode and chose no time an fight a lvl 1 like marth or something.. go to either fd or battlegrounds (Fd is better for me). There you can practice tech skills and learn new combos (no that doesn't mean fsmash until they fall). Try to practice more air combos.. and remember to edgehog... this will not fully prepare you for a tournament though.. because you need mindgames.. i usually sandbag during friendlies.. but you might want to actaully practice, to get better at mindgames.. if u do good then, enter the tourny.. if not, i wouldn't.

Thats what i do to train when i dont have friends over.. remember though.. lvl 1s dont usually counter any combo.. so keep that in mind when fighting them, and try to use more tech when fighting them.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Use the friend friender on this website (I am sorry I dont have a link, I am sure somebody nice enough will grab it for me and you though), I find it useful for getting some friendly games while at the same time improving my ability. Get some friends, go to places where other brawlers would meet, see if anybody wants to be your playmate (not the bunny kind). Go to training and just practice combos. I am not sure of anything else that could help, maybe watching some videos, but that is about it.

Corigames

Smash Hero
aesir ***** coreygames in the argument -leaves thread-
I guess you didn't notice the first post under my name that started out with "Tay aye aye" or w/e. That wasn't me >_> It was a friend of mine posting under my name on my house comp while he was over.

It seems to me that he ***** you with his mindgames. -leaves thread-

person701

Smash Journeyman
Use the friend friender on this website (I am sorry I dont have a link, I am sure somebody nice enough will grab it for me and you though), I find it useful for getting some friendly games while at the same time improving my ability. Get some friends, go to places where other brawlers would meet, see if anybody wants to be your playmate (not the bunny kind). Go to training and just practice combos. I am not sure of anything else that could help, maybe watching some videos, but that is about it.
Friend Finder

Linked. I suggest favoriting it ;)

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Response to Nihonjin:

Playing with other (competent) Smashers increases your technical capacity. You can learn (or be given the opportunity to learn) new things by playing other people, and practicing against computers just helps you to get more comfortable with it.

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman
play against level 9s. also play random against decent level CPUs because then you become better at the game in general and you know the basics of a how a person might play a certain character
worst advice ever.

People if you are going to give advice about tourneys please make sure you actually attend some first...

ps: friendlies is the way to go

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
make friends.

/thread

but in all seriousness you can't replicate human interaction in these games, you just can't. comps can't effectively simulate punishment and stuff. you can learn your techs i guess until you can do them blind-folded with 98% consistency but that's still pretty meh for training.

people are best. no real substitute. make friends with people with cars.

Top Bottom