• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can we predict reveals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
if the Pac/Mac/Mii rumor be true, and if not all those three characters being revealed at the E3 2014, .. Pac-Man has Pac-Man Museum coming to 3DS and Wii U,.. though is also on other platforms.. I doubt that Nintendo would let Pac being promote a release of a multiplatform game, ... the opportunity with the 3DS version of Ghostly Adventures was better.

in any case, I do see Pac linked to Ghostly Adventures site by fault the 3DS version, and Little Mac linked with the Virtual Console version of Super Punch-Out!!.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
If I were a gambling man...

If we were to receive a new trailer this month, I'd prefer it to reveal several veterans and maybe 1 newcomer.

My envision is that it would reveal characters with no foreseen release date. Characters like Sheik, Lucas, Captain Falcon, Falco, Wario and Meta Knight. Maybe one newcomer, one that would create hype, but not a lot within the community, so not an incredibly popular or unpopular character, but one in the middle, like a Zelda/Kirby newcomer.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Also include mewtwo to that he's pretty much almost impossible to not be confirmed

I mean come on he got a new movie, sakurai barber mouthed at a convention they are considering mewtwo,he's a legend in pokemon x and y, he is the only pokemon with 2 mega forms.

Do the math
I do agree that he's very likely to get in. Although, Charizard has 2 Mega Evolutions as well.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Also include mewtwo to that he's pretty much almost impossible to not be confirmed

I mean come on he got a new movie, sakurai barber mouthed at a convention they are considering mewtwo,he's a legend in pokemon x and y, he is the only pokemon with 2 mega forms.
Sakurai is always barber mouthing. It's an impressive skill to cut and style hair with your mouth.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
I think Yoshi will be revealed in March even though Yoshi's New Island will probably not release in Japan then. The reason being that Yoshi's New Island needs all the promotion it can get in NA.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I have predicted Snake's reveal date- ON THE RELEASE OF MGSV!
"Pic of the day. Solid Snake returns to the battle in honor of Meal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, play this game on our competitor's consoles!"

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I have predicted Snake's reveal date- ON THE RELEASE OF MGSV!
"Pic of the day. Solid Snake returns to the battle in honor of Meal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, play this game on our competitor's consoles!"
I'm taking that as a negative connotation towards Snake.

If it is, then the fact that MGS V isn't on Nintendo platforms is irrelevant based on MGS IV sharing the same issue. That game even received content in Brawl, so again, it doesn't matter.

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord
I'm taking that as a negative connotation towards Snake.

If it is, then the fact that MGS V isn't on Nintendo platforms is irrelevant based on MGS IV sharing the same issue. That game even received content in Brawl, so again, it doesn't matter.
If I'm correct, MGS V is on both the Xbox One and Playstation 4, along with the Xbox 360 and PS3. MGS IV was just on the PS3. I don't really care if Snake stays or goes, but Nintendo can't just create hype for a character that is on all the consoles except for their own

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If I'm correct, MGS V is on both the Xbox One and Playstation 4, along with the Xbox 360 and PS3. MGS IV was just on the PS3. I don't really care if Snake stays or goes, but Nintendo can't just create hype for a character that is on all the consoles except for their own
Again, it just doesn't matter. It's already happened.

I got into MGS after playing as Snake, so I went and bought a PS3, MGS IV, and when it came out, the HD Collection on the 360.

Honestly, if Sakurai cared about that I don't think he would have added Snake in the first place. I mean regardless of what extent Snake has reached in terms of appearances on other consoles. He still is legendary, he still has appeared on Nintendo consoles before...nothing has changed since he appeared in Smash.

But to each his own I suppose.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I think one thing that's changed is that Smash is being more transparently used to market other games, with Sakurai linking those games on the site almost anytime a character is revealed.

I can see that being a reason why Snake seems more ludicrous now whereas the Sonic reveal made sense given Lost World promotion. Also, during Brawl Nintendo was swimming in money from the Wii, whereas now it's common sport for people to talk about Nintendo's console collapsing and needing to push the Wii U. Promotion of Snake's games, non-existant on the Wii U, might be seen less kindly today than eight or so years ago.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Want to learn more about Solid Snake? Visit the official site for Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D!"

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
We're comparing Snake to Sonic, because that's how we can determine a criteria for third parties. Marth, Fox, Captain Falcon, Ness ... of course they'll make it in even if there's no game to promote, because they're veteran first parties. Snake nor Sonic have that priviledge, because yes, to them being in this game is a priviledge.

With Sonic we see him enter after clear and obvious efforts from Nintendo to promote his games. Snake has no such treatment. And if the climate currently is of Smash being necessary to promote other games and improve Nintendo's reach, promoting a two year old game of a character whose ACTUAL new game comes out in all consoles but Nintendo's is a laughable concept.
I only see Snake working if Kojima and/or Konami actually show some sort of support or new game for the 3DS. Which still may happen. But as of right now, and considering the current climate, Snake is as uncertain as any other third party, with the only slight edge being the fact he's a veteran. Perhaps also the benefit of popular demand, like Mega Man. But he's no lock.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would type up my usual response to Snake conversation, but I'm not really feeling it right now.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Has anybody considered Snake not getting anything? You know, like how Peach didn't? Or any of the other characters besides Olimar, Marth, Luigi, Rosalina, Zelda?

You can't just pick things to suit your argument. On the Japanese site,Marth had a link to a game that is over 2 years old. Snake can't have that? Says who?

I'll go more in depth later.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
When the Wii U is in need of sales, the dumbest thing Nintendo can do is advertise a fantastic looking game in a fantastic looking franchise that's not on their console.

I liked Snake as a character in Brawl, and I thought he fit in, but I think Nintendo is making a huge mistake if he is included again. I won't be butthurt if he's announced, but it would still be a very, very dumb thing for Nintendo and Sakurai to do. If Kojima announces MGSV coming to Wii U at E3, he'd be a welcome veteran fighter again.

Also, Snake is advertising MGSV if he's put in, it's his new game, and even if he is listed as advertising a 2-year old port, he'd still be advertising ANY MGS game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
When the Wii U is in need of sales, the dumbest thing Nintendo can do is advertise a fantastic looking game in a fantastic looking franchise that's not on their console.

I liked Snake as a character in Brawl, and I thought he fit in, but I think Nintendo is making a huge mistake if he is included again. I won't be butthurt if he's announced, but it would still be a very, very dumb thing for Nintendo and Sakurai to do. If Kojima announces MGSV coming to Wii U at E3, he'd be a welcome veteran fighter again.

Also, Snake is advertising MGSV if he's put in, it's his new game, and even if he is listed as advertising a 2-year old port, he'd still be advertising ANY MGS game.
Right. Because there is a huge difference betwee then and now. Right?

Regardless of Snake being in Smash, MGS V will sell millions of copies. So him being in Smash Bros is negligible. He isn't a property of Sony or Microsoft. He is a Konami character, and regardless of his history on other consoles, he still has history on Nintendo consoles as well.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Right. Because there is a huge difference betwee then and now. Right?

Regardless of Snake being in Smash, MGS V will sell millions of copies. So him being in Smash Bros is negligible. He isn't a property of Sony or Microsoft. He is a Konami character, and regardless of his history on other consoles, he still has history on Nintendo consoles as well.
MGS has always been more affiliated with the PlayStation brand and even the Xbox than it has with Nintendo consoles. I don't think you can argue that. You're right, MGS V will still sell a bunch of copies, but advertisement is advertisement, and that's what Nintendo would do for their competitor's by including Snake.

Someone can see Snake in Smash, and want to go out and buy the game that won't be on their console. The Wii printed money for Nintendo, the Wii U on the other hand is in dire need of sales. Nintendo would be stupid not to advertise Bayonetta 2 in Smash, a game exclusive to the Wii U that they are funding, and advertise MGSV, a game that is not likely to come to a Nintendo system.

Since Brawl, we've seen 14 releases in the Metal Gear series, with another release coming in just a couple months. How many of those releases are on Nintendo? An astonishing one. What was that game? A port of an eight-year old game. As much as I like the series, MGS does not deserve any representation in Smash in my opinion.

I'm not trying to be rude or disrespect anyone, just sharing my opinion on the matter.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
MGS has always been more affiliated with the PlayStation brand and even the Xbox than it has with Nintendo consoles. I don't think you can argue that. You're right, MGS V will still sell a bunch of copies, but advertisement is advertisement, and that's what Nintendo would do for their competitor's by including Snake.

Someone can see Snake in Smash, and want to go out and buy the game that won't be on their console. The Wii printed money for Nintendo, the Wii U on the other hand is in dire need of sales. Nintendo would be stupid not to advertise Bayonetta 2 in Smash, a game exclusive to the Wii U that they are funding, and advertise MGSV, a game that is not likely to come to a Nintendo system.

Since Brawl, we've seen 14 releases in the Metal Gear series, with another release coming in just a couple months. How many of those releases are on Nintendo? An astonishing one. What was that game? A port of an eight-year old game. As much as I like the series, MGS does not deserve any representation in Smash in my opinion.

I'm not trying to be rude or disrespect anyone, just sharing my opinion on the matter.
Like Nintendo's going to go up to Sakurai and say "Um, yeah, since Snake has had recent games on the compeititor's consoles, he's out. Sorry".

Do also consider Sakurai's said every Brawl veteran was returning at that point of development, but cuts were possible. So, at that point, Snake was in. Unless there were complications, he's probably in.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Some of that may be true, but again, f that were an issue before, I doubt Sakurai cares.

Besides the NES games and The Twin Snakes, Snake had nothing. Yet, because of Kojima Sakurai decided to include him. Was it likely just because of the favor? Yea of course. But I guarantee if Kojima was Super Meat Boy's creator and asked Sakurai, the answer would a big fat "nope".

Again, Snake already meets the criteria needed to get in. He just doesn't have as many appearances as Sonic or Mega Man.

Like Nintendo's going to go up to Sakurai and say "Um, yeah, since Snake has had recent games on the compeititor's consoles, he's out. Sorry".

Do also consider Sakurai's said every Brawl veteran was returning at that point of development, but cuts were possible. So, at that point, Snake was in. Unless there were complications, he's probably in.
Not to mention, 3rd parties aren't eligible for last minute cuts because of contracts. It's that simple.

Although I don't know that he was that specific as far as the Brawl vet part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Sakurai's exact words in regard to the cutting of characters:

"I can answer that: no. We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point,"

"Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go. We can’t because of the amount of work it takes. However, I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character.

"So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans."

If we're going by that, we'll just have to wait and see if he's in the game or not, but if he isn't revealed pre-release, I honestly doubt we'll be seeing him.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sakurai's exact words in regard to the cutting of characters:

"I can answer that: no. We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point,"

"Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go. We can’t because of the amount of work it takes. However, I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character.

"So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans."

If we're going by that, we'll just have to wait and see if he's in the game or not, but if he isn't revealed pre-release, I honestly doubt we'll be seeing him.
Here's the thing though. If Snake is planned for Smash 4, he will be in the game. Sakurai can't just breach the contract and cut Snake last minute.

As I always say, if he is planned, he's already in the game.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
People. Your arguments against Snake are completely ludicrous. His games are on other consoles now so there's not that much for him at this point? Really? That 3DS game would be a fine advertisement, but there doesn't need to be an advertisement. Your arguments would have kept Snake from being in Brawl.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I just think the whole advertisement thing is overstated.

Do people really think Sakurai would say," Well ****. We can't have Snake because of a web link on his character page! Oh noes!"?

Of course not. Snake is an important part of Smash history, and was one of the biggest things Brawl offered. It was a "shot heard around the world" so to speak.

People loved it, and Sakurai knows that. Snake and MGS are ridiculously popular. Even if Sakurai decides not to have a game at the bottom of the page, it will hardly affect sales. MGS is a juggernaut series. It will sell millions of copies.

Snake is not a Sony or Microsoft character. He is Konami, just as Sonic is Sega, and Mega Man is Capcom. Those two have also appeared on competitors consoles. It's just a flip flop between them.

The one thing people forget though, is that there is no criteria for the number of appearances a character has.

The other thing is that the only opinion that truly matters is Sakurais, and if he wants Snake in, he wants Snake in.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I just think the whole advertisement thing is overstated.

Do people really think Sakurai would say," Well ****. We can't have Snake because of a web link on his character page! Oh noes!"?

Of course not. Snake is an important part of Smash history, and was one of the biggest things Brawl offered. It was a "shot heard around the world" so to speak.

People loved it, and Sakurai knows that. Snake and MGS are ridiculously popular. Even if Sakurai decides not to have a game at the bottom of the page, it will hardly affect sales. MGS is a juggernaut series. It will sell millions of copies.

Snake is not a Sony or Microsoft character. He is Konami, just as Sonic is Sega, and Mega Man is Capcom. Those two have also appeared on competitors consoles. It's just a flip flop between them.

The one thing people forget though, is that there is no criteria for the number of appearances a character has.

The other thing is that the only opinion that truly matters is Sakurai's, and if he wants Snake in, he wants Snake in.
Which is the exact reason that Reggie petition means nothing. Sakurai decides on whether or not a character gets in. Wii Fit Trainer? Rosalina? They were HIS choices. He decides the final verdict. Not the fanbase. No matter how much we plea, he won't listen to us unless he likes it as well, or thinks of an interesting way to do it, which he likes.

Say Sakurai sees no potential in Dixie Kong or something. No matter how much we show him how she could work, Sakurai will do what he wants. He would not want to do that, so he passes her by.

not one, not 10, not 100, not 1,000, not 1,000,000 people can force Sakurai into adding a character. Much less, a memetic character who's only reason for the request is his comedic one-liners. It's like if we wanted Doc Louis just because of his advice to Little Mac, or if we wanted Phoenix Wright for the sole reason of saying "OBJECTION!".

Soupenomics

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-6913-7316

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I find it funny.

The arguments that people are using against Snake here are the same ones people used against Sonic pre-Brawl.

Dead serious too. I'm getting flashbacks.

And I think people are missing one big thing, while including Snake may "advertise for the competitors" (which I think is bull**** personally), it also brings in a brand new audience that Nintendo doesn't normally catch. Snake has legendary starpower. That much is undeniable. He and Sonic brought in a large number of people on their own. More then any Nintendo newcomer, I assure you.

You say including Snake is a bad idea business wise. But it's a great business decision. It's expanding the demographic that Smash normally doesn't capture.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Last edited:
Status