• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Can Anyone Believe in God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter Morgan

Smash Apprentice
Look at the universe as being Binary (A code made out of 0 & 1). Everything has a code no matter how complex. This is logically true no matter what the format.

Thus, with the universe being infinite there is an infinite number of 01s.

If person X thinks of an entity that will leap into his existence bearing a platter of eclairs then by the laws of the universe this has to happen, as in the infinitly long binary code, there will be a specific entity for that task.

Obviously this does not work, so thus the laws of the universe have been broken, ergo there is a higher force at work

If there was no God, the universe could not survive with the random logic of it all. The universe would HAVE to somewhere in its complex binary have something that would destroy the universe. Our existence proves this is not the case, thus a single binary code is invalidated, proving the theory we are not alone.

It cannot be binary that is stopping it as there would be an infinte binary code stopping that.

Instead it has to be something else. Something our minds cannot comprehend, but what we can boil down to 3 letters. God.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
Look at the universe as being Binary (A code made out of 0 & 1). Everything has a code no matter how complex. This is logically true no matter what the format.

If person X thinks of an entity that will leap into his existence bearing a platter of eclairs then by the laws of the universe this has to happen, as in the infinitly long binary code, there will be a specific entity for that task.

Obviously this does not work, so thus the laws of the universe have been broken, ergo there is a higher force at work

If there was no God, the universe could not survive with the random logic of it all. The universe would HAVE to somewhere in its complex binary have something that would destroy the universe. Our existence proves this is not the case, thus a single binary code is invalidated, proving the theory we are not alone.

It cannot be binary that is stopping it as there would be an infinte binary code stopping that.

Instead it has to be something else. Something our minds cannot comprehend, but what we can boil down to 3 letters. God.
This is hilarious!

For some reason this brings me back to the writing on the inside of my high school bathroom stall:
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who know what's binary and those who don't.

Random response: Idiot! That's only two types of people! What about the other 8?! What's... binary?

-blazed

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Fine. Anything and everything is possible. It is possible that a deity exists and that by some slight intervention (or none at all since no credible case of such can be found) a single tribe of ancient man stumbled through religious evolution and ended up with the one correct religion in the world. No matter how stupid, no matter how unlikely, no matter how incredibly moronic the premise, it is possible simply because you don't know anything for absolutely sure. Our entire knowledge based is centered around the fact that statistically impossible things might happen when we aren't looking.
You seem to be missing the point.

That's entirely dependent on an outside proof of the improbability of the existence of the divine entity postulated by said religion, because with the existence of said divine entity it changes from a statistical improbability to highly likely...

The point being that the anthropological argument you made proves nothing, and sits equally well with existence and non-existence of the said entity.

Which is why I am not accepting it...

And why would I not be prepared to reject it? Show me some evidence to contradict it.
I'm not trying to prove God exists, I'm merely showing that your argument is invalid.

Isn't it? You got to have some humor in a debate.
You seem to have missed the fact that the trailing off meant "not really".

Straw-manning people isn't funny.

I never claimed you said such a thing either. I was asked why I see it as evidence he is not the son of god and that was my explanation. By the teachings of the christian religion, the son of god could raise the dead, heal the sick, walk on water, blah blah blah. So if there are several dozen accounts of such people, all with nearly identical histories and stories (some with more evidence of existing than others) then either all of them are the son of god, or, unless some evidence turns up that any of those amazing things happened, then none of them are the son of god. The christian religion does not speak of the multiple sons of god, it speaks of one son of god.
Fair enough, the question of whether there is evidence for Jesus' miracles is a separate argument which I don't care to address.

Again, I never said you were trying to prove jesus is the son of god.
Then why did you make that argument?

"you said:
Yes, for whatever reason, jesus was chosen as the son of god, out of the dozens of other sons of god out there. Just as I chose ganondorf as my main in smash bros, does that mean he is the one true smasher out of all the other possible choices? I fail to see how this could be anything other than evidence he was anything but a normal man if he ever existed at all.
I never said anything even remotely to the effect of proving anyone was the son of God.

Well something is containing all the matter and energy that exists. Something is expanding at an ever increasing rate. Something had a 'big bang' some 14 billion years ago. Something is out there that we live inside of. Unless you are prepared to say you might not exist (which I fear you are) then the universe has to exist (whether as science believes it or in some other form) to allow you to exist.

Of course you can claim I have no proof any of that exists either. Probably tell me I am begging the question. Would the burden of proof not be on somebody who claims the universe does not exist?
You're correct, you are in fact, begging the question. You are referencing to just reality to prove reality, which is about equivalent to referencing to just a comic book to prove the events within a comic book happened. Assuming that something exists, and then logically moving from that assumption to prove the thing assumed is logically invalid and results in false results from true premises all the time.

The burden of proof is always on the person attempting to make the claim that something exists.

Actually it is people. Usage of the word decides what the definition is. Currently the definition is: arousing or deserving ridicule : absurd, preposterous.
Exactly the problem...

Ridiculous is whatever the majority decides is ridiculous, and the majority is far too often wrong.

A good quote on this.

"1500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew the earth was flat. And 15 minutes ago you knew we were alone on this planet. Imagine what we'll know tomorrow." - MIB

(It should be obvious that I'm not appealing to it's authority, merely citing two cases of "ridiculous" things being true, just using a quote to do that)

You're right in that the majority defines what is "ridiculous", but you missed the point, anything can be considered "ridiculous" if that's the fancy of the day. It could be considered ridiculous that the earth is not flat and balanced on the back of 4 elephants, which are in turn on a giant turtle.

Heck, atheism is considered ridiculous by the majority, so obviously we should just ridicule you for believing it, right?

Saying something is ridiculous because the majority believes it false is an appeal to majority fallacy, the number of people who hold an idea is in no way related to it's logical validity.

Who are you to decide what is logical?

It seems illogical to me to bring philosophy into a scientific debate. Science can manage very well without some philosopher wagging his finger saying "Prove the universe exists! Prove that every religion isn't right! Prove that all things are not possible! Prove that your evidence for that other stuff exists!"
Perhaps I have been noting philosophy too liberally. The fact is that the foundation of logic is not found in philosophy, but is instead found in mathematics. You want absolute definitions of what is logical? Take a discrete mathematics course (or I can answer specific questions if you'd like).

But the fact is, I am not defining what is logical, math is. On the basis of tautologies and contradictions.

Science accepts the mathematical definitions of logic as an axiom.

Philosophy does as well by the way.

In making these arguments, I am referencing to mathematical standards of logic. Science CANNOT function AT ALL without mathematical logic to back it up. Mathematical logic is core to everything that science is.

Ultimately, these are science's own standards that it fails on in proving that the universe exists. Every argument I made was science's standards (either directly part of the scientific method, or through it's axiom of mathematical logic), it cannot prove the universe.

See above.
I'll respond in kind, see above.

Yeah.

I don't recall saying that null hypothesis were never used anymore. I just said that most of the time they are not used outside of statistical sciences. More often than not the null can be rejected outright or skipped entirely when the alternative hypothesis is suspected to be true at the outset of the experiment.
It might seem that way, but if the results are the same as under the null then guess what, you've failed to reject the null.

Since you are always trying to disprove the null, this behavior is precisely what one can expect.

Yes I do know that small fragments can lead to an amazing amount of information. But an entire civilization being confirmed as existing from a single bone fragment or passage in a book is beyond that scope.

The bible is a poor source for establishing people because it is often the only source. Especially in the case of jesus. Sure certain emperors or other people can be confirmed, but only because they are mentioned in other books, or paintings, or some other form of evidence.
Firstly, keep in mind that the Bible is not a single book. It is multiple books that were compiled many many years after they were written. So we are talking about several sources, some completely independent, all written within about 100 years of a person's life. Then there are the epistles, the apocritha, and many other pieces of documentation, that while undoubtedly Christian in origin, have enough collective reliability to establish to the majority of Historians and Scholars, that Jesus did exist.

With application of appropriate literary criticism, of course. Here, the criterion of embarrassment is especially useful, Criterion of multiple attestation is also quite helpful in establishing what did happen. Of course, Author's agenda plays a role

Because archeology is a science and as such can't afford to suppose somebody exists from a single book, especially one written for the purpose of affirming religious faith.
But it NOT a single book. The bible is an anthology, written by many authors at separate times.

Furthermore, it's not just what is in the Bible.

Suppose 10,000 years from now some historians find a "The cat in the Hat" book. Or even something more credible such as the screenplay to "Spiderman 2"
Then it will be recognized as intended fiction by the scholars in 10,000, just like todays scholars can easily recognize the difference between intended fiction and intended documentation.

And when most historians, who are not religious themselves, are asked about the existence of jesus, they often say they have no reason to suggest a man named jesus did not exist, but no reason to suggest that he did either.
Just the opposite actually, they will say that they have more then enough evidence to suggest the man exists. However, they will flatly deny that his miracles are historically verifiable.

I am wondering. Following all of the rules you are laying out here, what evidence would you offer one way or the other concerning the existence of god?
I'm not going to offer any. That should be rather obvious. I was only poking holes in poor arguments.

[Edit]

And this all leads me to my final question. What are you two doing here? This is a debate concerning the existence of god. If you do not have a side and are simply here to point out flaws in arguments without adding any of your own, then you are not debating the topic. You are doing nothing but detracting from the debate. Unless you have a position on the matter, you have no business being here. Whether or not here exists.

In all the text adumbrodeus has typed, to me anyway, he hasn't given a single argument for or against the existence of god. Not that he could given his 'all things are possible' view of everything.
Pointing out flaws in other arguments is perfectly on-topic. It goes back to the scientific method's idea of the null hypothesis. In all debates there is a default position, "nothing". No relationship, no existence, whatever the case may be. It can also be something if the debate centers around the existence of "something" that is a placeholder for a lack of something, or in a couple of other very odd cases.

When one points out flaws in another's argument without putting forth one of their own, they defend the null, whatever it may be, because as long as no other argument can be proven, the null holds.

Alternatively, one could have sympathies for a particular side but not care to put forth that position directly.

However, regardless of the motives, by attacking arguments making a claim, one ultimately defends the null hypothesis of the debate.

This is NOT detracting from the debate, it is part of the normal course of the debate, it's how debates function. There always exists the possibility of people who are just defending the null hypothesis.

[/edit]

Herm... Just off the top of my head (so don't expect something fully fleshed out)
1 The notion of space/time is an integral assumption made by our brains.
2 To challenge this notion is to challenge the validity of our thoughts as a whole.
3 We cannot coherently challenge the validity of our thoughts.
4 Therefore, the notion of space time should be considered correct.
P4 is enough to establish reason to believe a universe of sorts.
P2 is more than a little sketchy, and P1 is only slightly less so.

It is late and my thoughts are more than a little murky. Probably another problem in there somewhere.
Probably a better one out there as well.
P4 is the problem, it doesn't follow from the premises, because the premises merely establish what is effective, not what is real.

Nice try though, sorry I still think that linguistic determinism is the only way to prove an outside imposed universe.

cF=)

Smash Lord

:laugh:

Wheeere did you got this?! I stopped reading as soon as you said the universe was infinite, something I think you should prove before writing down in a debate (do you know math help us understand the concept of infinity pretty well?). It's wrong when you argument revolves around "It's too hard to get, therefore god exists".

RDK

Smash Hero

^ I lol'd.

10CREATIONISTS

yossarian22

Smash Journeyman
Humans are visibly set apart from other animals. Evolution COULD very well be a process that God put in place for humans to have come about in a perfectly scientifically explainable way (while very complex).
I was a bit unfair to this notion.
It could offer some use. Plantiga argues this fairly well in his EAAN (Evolutionary argument against naturalism). I will admit to being poorly versed on his paper, but it is a fairly well constructed argument
I can't see any way to make your statement "logically true". Hell, nothing is "logically true", just logically valid. Logic does not give a flying **** about truth.
Faulty premise unless you are going to take after Spinoza, which leads to an ultimately irrelevant God.

Using "ergo" does nothing but make you sound like a douche.
And what?
You start off sounding like a Platonic Theist (God is the law of nature/math/logic) before promptly veering off into a reinforced concrete wall.
Your argument can be summed up in 4 letters.
**** <- starts with an S.
Sorry, but that was far to easy for me to just pass up
P4 is the problem, it doesn't follow from the premises, because the premises merely establish what is effective, not what is real.

Nice try though, sorry I still think that linguistic determinism is the only way to prove an outside imposed universe.
Not what is effective, what we are justified in believing. Truth is meaningless unless we can justify our belief in it, as we never know what it is. But anyhow, my argument has more holes than swiss cheese in the middle of a rat's nest, so it is a fairly moot point to bring up.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dexter, you're not even right about the binary thing. Not everything can be represented in binary. In fact, there is no number system which is capable of representing every real number.

Binary can't even represent the number .1 (in decimal) accurately! It would require an infinite amount of bits just to represent the number .1 in binary!

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
I was a bit unfair to this notion.
It could offer some use. Plantiga argues this fairly well in his EAAN (Evolutionary argument against naturalism). I will admit to being poorly versed on his paper, but it is a fairly well constructed argument
Thank you for your reconsideration.

Are you actually supporting that "Banana = Atheist's Nightmare" video?

It's so ridiculously stupid that I just assumed everyone knew it had to be a joke.
No. But for those who are hard set to believing that intelligent design exists, the banana could be designed for something like maybe sort of is what that video addresses...[lol]. As a believer in God, I wouldn't be justified in saying that God DID NOT create the banana thusly. I don't have the knowledge or the right to do that. But I also recognize that the entire video could be complete BS. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know the extent of intelligent design, but I'm willing to recognize that there can be an extent.

snex

Smash Master
the modern grocery store banana WAS intelligently designed - by HUMANS. humans who used its propensity to evolve to select desirable traits for reproduction.

a wild banana is full of nasty seeds, has the consistency of a potato, and looks quite unappetizing. anybody who thinks the banana argument is an argument for god is either so stupid that they have no place in the debate, or so brainwashed by people so stupid that they have no place in the debate that they have no place in the debate.

D

Deleted member

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but wild bananas are still an amazing resource in the animal kingdom.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
the modern grocery store banana WAS intelligently designed - by HUMANS. humans who used its propensity to evolve to select desirable traits for reproduction.

a wild banana is full of nasty seeds, has the consistency of a potato, and looks quite unappetizing. anybody who thinks the banana argument is an argument for god is either so stupid that they have no place in the debate, or so brainwashed by people so stupid that they have no place in the debate that they have no place in the debate.
Exactly what I was setting him up for. On top of that, if the banana is perfect, then God is a failure because A. not all bananas are the same, and B. no other fruit has this same ability. Ever tried to open a coconut by hand? How about a pineapple? Hell, even an orange. All those fruits lack either the "pull tab," the "no squirt," or the ease.

snex

Smash Master
lets also not forget that grocery store bananas cant even reproduce on their own. they need human intervention to reproduce at all.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Exactly what I was setting him up for. On top of that, if the banana is perfect, then God is a failure because A. not all bananas are the same, and B. no other fruit has this same ability. Ever tried to open a coconut by hand? How about a pineapple? Hell, even an orange. All those fruits lack either the "pull tab," the "no squirt," or the ease.
Did you read my last post? I'm not going to argue for or against something I don't know much about, i.e. the evolution of the banana. What is this irrelevant fruit discussion!?

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
This topic still exists?

There is no proof that god exists, therefore there is no reason to believe in him. How hard was that? This topic can die now.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
This topic still exists?

There is no proof that god exists, therefore there is no reason to believe in him. How hard was that? This topic can die now.
People, such as I, have tried to claim that wordly logiclal absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. I'm not going to argue with you because I just did that for the past ~4 pages. If people are really that hard up with resistance to believe in a deity, then agree to disagree.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
People, such as I, have tried to claim that wordly logiclal absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. I'm not going to argue with you because I just did that for the past ~4 pages. If people are really that hard up with resistance to believe in a deity, then agree to disagree.
I won't argue that point. But if you have no evidence, or for that matter any reason to believe in god, then why do so? To go back to the question in the OP, how can anyone believe in god when there is no reason to.

D

Deleted member

No. I'm sorry, just no.

Stop. You're going to restart this entire argument back to square one and we will just go through another 60 pages of the same old thing.

We all know you're trolling, so just stop.

snex

Smash Master
you are in exactly the same position with an infinite number of logically possible propositions, yet you only believe a few of them. why do they get a privileged state in your mind?

all propositions without evidence should not be believed until such evidence arrives.

cF=)

Smash Lord
The flying spaghetti monster is also an imaginary deity in which you should believe, according to what you say. Taking propositions as evidence could apply to probably any other god, yet you decided to believe in christianity. It's begging the question, why do you?

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
No. I'm sorry, just no.

Stop. You're going to restart this entire argument back to square one and we will just go through another 60 pages of the same old thing.
The flying spaghetti monster is also an imaginary deity in which you should believe, according to what you say. Taking propositions as evidence could apply to probably any other god, yet you decided to believe in christianity. It's begging the question, why do you?
Exactly. There is just as much reason to believe in an invisible spaghetti monster as there is in allah. None. No reason to believe at all.

So this topic should end on that note.

D

Deleted member

Stop trolling. All of you. People are going to take you seriously.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
A troll is someone who tries to incite anger. I'm pointing out the agreed upon fact that there is absolutely no reason to believe in god. Since there is no reason, this thread should die and any other topics about god should be continued in a more appropriate thread.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Who's trolling? This is debate.

And furthermore, lack of evidence certainly IS evidence of an absence. When the only choices are: "Believe something exists" or "Believe something does not exist" and there is not any evidence for the existence of that thing in question you have to default to the belief that it does not exist! It would certainly be absurd to default to the opposite.

The "third" option of "not believing one way or the other" I say is impossible. You can 'claim' to be agnostic, but deep down it's human nature to make a belief one way or another.

EDIT: lol, the other guys got here before me.

D

Deleted member

A troll is someone who tries to incite anger. I'm pointing out the agreed upon fact that there is absolutely no reason to believe in god. Since there is no reason, this thread should die and any other topics about god should be continued in a more appropriate thread.
Your nonchalantness towards this discussion is angering, to say the least.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Your nonchalantness towards this discussion is angering, to say the least.
I'm nonchalant because there isn't anything to discuss. Am I supposed to get worked up about nothing? There is no proof that god exists. Believing is a matter of faith alone, that's it. Nothing more. So we should stop discussing that in this thread.

If you want to discuss another aspect of your chosen deity, then make a thread about it.

*Note: Don't forget to remove your signature.

D

Deleted member

Alt, ignoring the past 60 pages to continue peddling these ridiculous arguments that have already been proven to be so is NOT DEBATE. It's TROLLING. It's trolling because you're ignoring ALL. THAT. EFFORT and now it goes in vain because some idiot wants to act like it's no big deal? Yes, it's a big deal. A lot of people stake their entire lives into belief systems and you can continue to act how you all are doing, but know that you are being incredibly offensive. (NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU ARE A STRONG ATHEIST)

I'll post my ****ing sig whenever I want. It doesn't stretch the page.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Alt, ignoring the past 60 pages to continue peddling these ridiculous arguments that have already been proven to be so is NOT DEBATE. It's TROLLING. It's trolling because you're ignoring ALL. THAT. EFFORT and now it goes in vain because some idiot wants to act like it's no big deal? Yes, it's a big deal. A lot of people stake their entire lives into belief systems and you can continue to act how you all are doing, but know that you are being incredibly offensive. (NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU ARE A STRONG ATHEIST)

I'll post my ****ing sig whenever I want. It doesn't stretch the page.
I've seen plenty of effort that went in vain. This topic is one of them. Just because somebody worked on something really hard does not automatically make it more valuable.

And how people's belief systems affect their lives is a different question than how can people believe. We've shown that there is no reason to believe. If you want to discuss the effects of belief, then make a thread titled "the effects of belief systems in peoples lives." We don't need to continue this tired thread anymore.

And Crimson King has stated that we are not supposed to post our signatures in the Debate Hall, and he is the moderator of this room.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
This topic still exists?

I'm nonchalant because there isn't anything to discuss. Am I supposed to get worked up about nothing? There is no proof that god exists. Believing is a matter of faith alone, that's it. Nothing more. So we should stop discussing that in this thread.

If you want to discuss another aspect of your chosen deity, then make a thread about it.
Although I think I agree with your conclusions, I think you should be careful about using the word "proof" as opposed to "evidence." Scientifically speaking we will never have proof one way or the other (aside from definitions of "God" that are inherently contradictory).

Science can prove things about the MODELS it uses. Models are, after all, invented by human beings, and not found lying on sidewalks. However to claim the models accurately reflect reality is another thing entirely, and we can speak only of evidence in that regard.

D

Deleted member

Sigh. You still don't get it. Rather than continue debating, I'd rather you just let this explain why you're wrong.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Sigh. You still don't get it. Rather than continue debating, I'd rather you just let this explain why you're wrong.
I'm not going to waste my time watching some hour long video on how rocks aren't alive. If you cannot summarize the video with what you want to say then don't bother posting anything.

This debate is obviously over. Another thread should be created to discuss something of more substance. Might I suggest you create a thread to discuss your god problem. On the other hand, you seem to just rely on linking to other people's works.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Del, Snex, Gamer4Fire... man, it's like an old school debater reunion!

This thread sure has gone through it's course of tangents. Not that long ago a bunch of people were arguing about basic elementary logic. There ARE entirely too many religion threads right now, though. We could probably use to consolidate it into one at the very least.

This thread really needs a united purpose. Some actual debatable premise.

EDIT: But my mod superpowers are limited in this room. (The debate hall is rather close to a red sun, if I recall.) So I can't lock threads and stuff like that here.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Del, Snex, Gamer4Fire... man, it's like an old school debater reunion!

This thread sure has gone through it's course of tangents. Not that long ago a bunch of people were arguing about basic elementary logic. There ARE entirely too many religion threads right now, though. We could probably use to consolidate it into one at the very least.

This thread really needs a united purpose. Some actual debatable premise.

EDIT: But my mod superpowers are limited in this room. (The debate hall is rather close to a red sun, if I recall.) So I can't lock threads and stuff like that here.
I don't see any real focus in any of the god topics we have right now. Maybe some should be created and the scope of the threads heavily enforced, with tangents separated into their own topics.

cF=)

Smash Lord
The topic name should then be "do you have any good reason to believe in god?"

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
The answer would still be no. You can have the same benefits of religion with secular justifications. In fact they would be better because they could be based on objective standards.

cF=)

Smash Lord
Thus, this specific tangent would have a final answer, and we could close the thread to avoid further fruitless discussion.

Kur

Smash Journeyman
The biggest bunch of baseless armchair thinking Kur has ever seen.
More of the same.

You can't justify anything you are saying with anything. You want me to prove the universe exists. The universe is defined as everything that exists. If even one atom of anything exists, then so does the universe. Do you exist? If you do then so does the universe. The evidence for the existence of the universe is the existence of anything. Go ahead, deny existence. Claim there is no evidence for existence. See how far that gets you with anything. The universe must exist for us to be sitting here having this stupid debate. If you are describing the universe as some sort of place that we are in, then I would offer as evidence that you simply look up. Yeah, there it is.

It should be telling that I can not find one article, not one link in several google searches questioning whether or not the universe exists. I did find one debate on a philosophy board concerning the topic and it was mostly full of the same useless armchair "logic" you have been spouting here.

I feel like I am arguing with a 6 year old. I give some piece of information and get an endless chain of "Why?" questions to every answer I give. That is all this amounts to.

And I am not missing your point. I am rejecting it outright as foolishly improbable. There is not a 50/50 chance that any deity exists as perfectly described by the completely naturalistic evolution of some religion. Even if god did exist, the odds of a tribe of people forming a religion over time starting with sun worship and ending with a complex, convoluted, contradictory, and often wrong, AND true religion is completely ludicrous. Yes I get that a deity existing or not has no bearing on the origins of a religion, but that isn't my point. My point was that the origins of a religion by naturalistic means, statistically could not match with the actual history of any deity that may or may not exist, meaning that any god that might be out there IS NOT a god that any religion describes. Since that is the case, the CHRISTIAN GOD DOES NOT EXIST if one is using the naturalistic origins of christianity as their premise, as I was doing.

I really don't want to bother responding to the rest of your arguments. The complete waste of time this has been so far is wearing me out.

And again, I would ask you to offer any evidence to support one side or the other in this debate. Not because I want to know what side you are on, but only to see if, using your own set of rules, it is even possible to offer evidence that would satisfy you. It seems you have a built in response to anything that disagrees with your view. But being that that response can be turned on anything and everything, it is just easier for you to not formally take a side.

yossarian22

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. There is just as much reason to believe in an invisible spaghetti monster as there is in allah. None. No reason to believe at all.
A deity seems to be on only way to reconcile methodological naturalism with itself.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm afraid I don't follow you, yossarian. If my wikipedia based research is correct, "methodological naturalism" is just the belief that the scientific method is the right way to go, and that there's no such thing as supernatural beings or events. I fail to see how that belief requires a deity.

Or in fact why ANY belief needs to reconcile anything with itself. If a belief contradicts itself... then it's wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom