• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How brawl made me $20

UnF-air

Smash Cadet
So today my little brother got home from sleep away camp. So, of course he invited all his friends over to the house to play some brawl. This is not a new experience for our house; in fact it seems like most of the time people are over playing some form of smash with me. Anyways, my bro’s crew comes over and as usual I find it my duty to grace them with my presence. In the past I’ve usually tried to play nice, give pointer, or show them neat stuff (stuff like the black hole in melee or explaining how C-stick isn’t always the best move, etc.) Well today I had something else in mind...

Me: Good afternoon boys
Kids: hey, sup, yo [generic acknowledgments without removing their eyes from the screen]
Me: how’s the brawl?
Kids: good
Me: think I could play a few rounds with you guys?
Kids: [hesitantly] I guess
Me: well how about this, I’ll only use the B button?
Kids: [eyebrows raise, smirks take effect] yeah sure
Me: but if I win ya’ll owe me $5 a pop
Kids: and if we win?
Me: I’ll personally take you guys, in my car, to the movie of your choice
Kids: [look around at each other as though prayers have been answered] yeah sure!
Me: But I get to choose map and all items are off
Kids: Fine

So I take a seat on the couch with my trusty wavebird in hand ready to camp like no one has ever camped before. I pick zelda, new pork city, 3 minute round.

The basis of my strategy was to get far away and constantly bombard them with Din’s fire. This coupled with reflecting their range moves/getting them off me with nayru’s love, and then running away with Farore’s wind was basically unstoppable. I won by a solid amount of kills only to get assaulted with words unfit for a pre-teen’s mouth. They called me cheap, spammer, and camper (all accompanied by a myriad of swear words) and to be honest they were 100% right. One kid even told me that I qualified for “noob of the year” and had I been using those kinds of tactics in 64 or melee I would have gladly accepted that award. However, in this case I was standing at the podium for my dominant victory.

So I have one question for the brawl community, if camping and spamming can dominate a 3v1 what does that tell you about Brawl?

(Just fyi I played lots of melee with those kids before brawl was released and never beat them 3v1 so don’t discredit them. Also, I didn't actually make them pay up I just made them pop in melee :p)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Hahahahahahahaha.
Pure genius.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i would have beat those kids for their money... but thats just me.

but how about this, you do the same thing, use all your moves and pick FD and see how that works.

i could beat my friends 3v1 in melee with falco on hyrule....
so personally i dont really think that thats saying much.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
TC: HAI GAIZ! L@@K AT HOW KEWL I AM! I PWNT 3 NUBCAKES WIT "GHEY" TAKTICZ

So you beat three scrubs on a terrible stage. Good for you.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Well he was also insulting brawl which was a stupid way for him to end his epic post, since it was because they were scrubs and it was a terrible stage. You could have done the same thing in melee.
See underlined portion.

This really doesn't say nearly as much about Brawl as a whole as it does New Pork City as a stage.

Try this experiment:
Melee —> Fox —> Hyrule Temple —> Blaster spam

Different variables; same result.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Still a great tale.

Moral of the story : Zelda owns.

GreatClayMonkey

Smash Lord
Rigging the enemy base with explosives, which is l
See underlined portion.

This really doesn't say nearly as much about Brawl as a whole as it does New Pork City as a stage.

Try this experiment:

Bingo

Still a great tale.

Moral of the story : Zelda owns.
True

I've beaten people 3v1 in melee before too, they were nothing to sneeze at either.
You must feel proud

okiyama

Smash Ace
Well he was also insulting brawl which was a stupid way for him to end his epic post, since it was because they were scrubs and it was a terrible stage. You could have done the same thing in melee.
Yeah, run away with C falcon on Temple in melee. Not much they can do, you out run them...

Anyways, I think the true moral is that useless threads are useless and if GBD wants to be taken seriously, should be ignored.

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
Hey OP, way to spoil a decent thread with that last paragraph...

but otherwise funny story, i guess...

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
He didn't ruin the story. The last paragraph is the climax of the story.

Simply put, Melee > Brawl is the moral of the story.

GreatClayMonkey

Smash Lord
Rigging the enemy base with explosives, which is l
He didn't ruin the story. The last paragraph is the climax of the story.

Simply put, Melee > Brawl is the moral of the story.
See underlined portion.

Try this experiment:

no not at all

J-Money

Smash Apprentice
thats kind of like how i beat this baby up, made him **** himself, steal his lollipop, then find 20 dollars in my pocket

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
no not at all
O RLY?

Since when did blaster spamming cause knockback? Even more, I'd like to see even Silent Wolf shine spike for kills in a 3v1 team match. And just in case you didn't know, shine spiking requires direct contact, which means he's easily open to getting out prioritized with long range attacks, like Marth's attacks.

The stipulation of the agreement was to WIN the match. AFAIK, blasters can't KO. And, the match doesn't abide by tournament rules, meaning if neither side can score a KO, all players enter sudden death. But Din's Fire can score KOs in Brawl, unlike in Meles. The only projectiles that can be spammed to KO in Melee are missles and thunder, but you'd have to be against 2 year old children to win with thunder spamming. And the former can have an incredibly tough time staying away from direct contact given her sluggish run speed.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
O RLY?

Since when did blaster spamming cause knockback? Even more, I'd like to see even Silent Wolf shine spike for kills in a 3v1 team match. And just in case you didn't know, shine spiking requires direct contact, which means he's easily open to getting out prioritized with long range attacks, like Marth's attacks.

The stipulation of the agreement was to WIN the match. AFAIK, blasters can't KO. But Din's Fire can. The only projectiles that can be spammed to KO in Melee are missles and thunder, but you'd have to be against 2 year old children to win with thunder spamming.
So laser spam until you're opponent's over 100% (throw in a few physical attacks if you're really daring just to speed things along) and knock them out with whichever KO move you find tastiest. It's only one more degree of work. After that, it's a matter of waiting for the clock to run out.

Besides, sure, you CAN kill with Din's Fire, but you're on New Pork City here. It's VAST. If your opponent is dense enough to place themselves that close to the edge and allow you to juggle them off the stage like that, then they don't know what air dodging is. Is that Brawl's fault or the player's?

Now, if you're talking about a KO more centrally located on the stage (maybe down toward the bottom), that's even harder. Think of the percentages you'd have to get your opponent to. Not to mention that decay that Din's Fire would've suffered by that time. Unless you luck out and get your enemy to do a good bounce off the bottom of the lower platforms at some substantial percentages, you're not going to get too many KO's that way either.

Besides, at this point we're just arguing about how broken Din's Fire is. Which isn't any reflection on Brawl as a whole either.

UnF-air

Smash Cadet
Anybody who gets laser spammed to 100% doesn’t have hands (or is using donkey kongos...)

I just went and tested it and at 300% (AKA sudden death) Din’s Fire blasted light characters out the ceiling while they were positioned at the bottom of the stage on the breakable wooden platform. Also, Din’s fire actually gets stronger the longer it goes. O and also the animation displays little of the area the explosion impacts, and that can make air dodging it surprisingly challenging.

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
I think horribly pwning your younger brother's siblings in a video game is one of the signs of a serial killer. or pederast. Ya know, like guys who kill small animals are likely to grow up and kill a couple humans. Same applies with guys who like to chill out with their brother's friends who are 4 or 5 years younger, playing video games and pwning them. Your house is essentially a Catholic church, and your the priest who gets "falsely" accused of touching their private places.

You should have at least gotten the 20 bucks and got a dub or something.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Brawl made me a TV and home cinema system, I just Iked the crap out of a bunch of 10 year olds.

With the exception of this one good Diddy Kong and this amazing Peach who I beat in sudden death.

UnF-air

Smash Cadet
When I began crafting this post I intended make a point out of how in 64/melee it is easy to determine a novice from an expert by the way they use their A and B attacks. In 64/melee good players almost always lean toward using fast/short range A attacks in a series of moves that equate to a COMBO which may or may not utilize the B button’s attacks. However, in Brawl with B moves like guided freezy ice hexagons, guided missiles, or my personal favorite guided red orbs of total chaos, it often seems more favorable to run from combat and take cheap shots that do big damage/knock-back/Area-of-Effect.
Brawl has some excellent ranged attacks and some incredibly large stages which makes camping a much more viable strategy. The point of the whole story was to demonstrate (through an exaggerated scenario) just how viable that strategy can be under proper circumstance. I’m not saying ranged moves didn’t exist/were annoying in the other games cause a good link in 64 or a turnip spamming peach in melee can be amazingly frustrating. It’s just you can’t juggle and even KO opponents from cross court the way you can with din’s fire in brawl.

Basically its just evolving play style/strategy. Ranged moves got buffed, good for them ☺…bad for combos/combat ☹

Foxtrotter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
msfoxtrott
Wonderful, wonderful.

Although the fact that you bet money against children...

That's just mean. -.-U I win a good chunk of the matches against my little sister and my friends (though friends are still pretty good), but you don't see me going on New Pork City and sniping them all off with Pit!

The fact that you won against scrubs on an obviously banned stage doesn't mean anything to camping and spamming debates. Now, if you beat a better player with the same tactics on a Neutral, maybe even Counterpick stage...

That would mean something.

Maybe.

Tenki

Smash Hero
It’s just you can’t juggle and even KO opponents from cross court the way you can with din’s fire in brawl.
Ah I see, so they didn't know that you can clang with/neutralize Din's Fire by attacking it (eh, most characters can do this), and they didn't take advantage of Brawl's airdodge. Or shield.

Should have gone for the money, man. You could have even doubled the bet and won because they suck at Brawl.

UnF-air

Smash Cadet
The fact that you won against scrubs on an obviously banned stage doesn't mean anything to camping and spamming debates. Now, if you beat a better player with the same tactics on a Neutral, maybe even Counterpick stage...

Maybe.
if I was gonna play a neutral map 1v1 I'd do it in a competitive game not one where I can trip to lose my last stock

Besides, Brawl is at its core a party game designed with 4 player matches in mind. camping has always existed in 4 player smash the only difference is now you can OWN the unsuspecting players from far away, you don't even have to hop in anymore. If I can win without having to come close to my opponents, well thats the strategy I'm going with. I guess thats just my competitive state of mind that is apparently outdated in the new world of non-competitive fighting games (oxy-moron?)

Harbinger631

Smash Apprentice
So I have one question for the brawl community, if camping and spamming can dominate a 3v1 what does that tell you about Brawl?
It doesn't tell you anything about Brawl, it tells you that the people you were playing aren't good at basic defensive moves and that New Pork City is a terrible competitive stage.

You can do the same thing on Hyrule temple. In fact, to better prove your point, you should have played on Temple instead of NPC, where Brawl's game mechanics would have been the only variable. Then you should have done an identical match on melee to see if you have differing results.

THEN repeat this 10X to see if you have consistent results. If so, I may listen.

Foxtrotter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
msfoxtrott
if I was gonna play a neutral map 1v1 I'd do it in a competitive game not one where I can trip to lose my last stock

Besides, Brawl is at its core a party game designed with 4 player matches in mind. camping has always existed in 4 player smash the only difference is now you can OWN the unsuspecting players from far away, you don't even have to hop in anymore. If I can win without having to come close to my opponents, well thats the strategy I'm going with. I guess thats just my competitive state of mind that is apparently outdated in the new world of non-competitive fighting games (oxy-moron?)
Hmm... Do you have Wi-Fi? You could test your strategy against myself.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice

Maybe.
Quoted for truth

Seriously, trying to prove a point using New Pork City in your example....its just not a good idea. It was obviously banned to avoid the tactics you employed. Good job beating a bunch of scrubs using tactics you can't abuse on any neutral/counterpick stage.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I totatlly would do that for 20 dollars.

I don't understand why they were mad. You said you'd only use the b button.

Foxtrotter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
msfoxtrott
I totatlly would do that for 20 dollars.

I don't understand why they were mad. You said you'd only use the b button.
It's because he's scamming some children out of twenty bucks.

THE NERVE! :O

UnF-air

Smash Cadet
Let me get things straight:
My tactics won’t work on one of the 5 stages deemed “fair” by your bogus brawl tourney rules in a 1v1 (wow couldn’t have guessed that). Well, Nintendo didn’t design tons of stages thinking “o yeah no one should play these stages, and uhhh only 1v1s” that’s just garbage, and if you think that the majority of brawl players abide by that you are sadly mistaken. On the majority of stages characters with good maneuverability and range attacks (Zelda, Snake, R.O.B., Pit, etc.) will be able to find plenty of room to camp and use their ranged/special abilities. I’ve played many times with opponents who match my skill level and can tell you this strategy is effective especially while the other players are focused fighting each other. These characters are often considered some of the best and personally I don’ think that’s what the smash titles should be about.

Smash is about fighting and reflexes not who can bend an arrow or detonate a mine. Quite frankly, I feel as though by putting so much emphasis on the special moves brawl is much more simplistic and gimmicky than the previous two titles. If you feel otherwise I’d love to hear your argument.

Harbinger631

Smash Apprentice
I’ve played many times with opponents who match my skill level and can tell you this strategy is effective especially while the other players are focused fighting each other.
Ha, are you talking about competitive FFA? Letting 2 people duke it out while you just stand away and watch has been a winning strategy in stock ffa since smash 64. Brawl is no exception.

And do tell, what are the "bogus rules" you mention?

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
on OP

as many have said before this little tale has less to do with brawl, and more to do with lackluster opponents...dins fire could be avoided with properly timed air dodges often times making it useless against tourny level players

you spammed against noobs, well-done...but dont insist that its anything more than that

Top Bottom