• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How are we Going to Deal with the Casuals?

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Personally it makes my day when I aggravate someone online during gameplay (CoD experience). The rages n excuses fuel me. Not to mention it's a great way to practice combos. Find someone who sucks horribly n pretend to be their friend bwahaha.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Personally it makes my day when I aggravate someone online during gameplay (CoD experience). The rages n excuses fuel me. Not to mention it's a great way to practice combos. Find someone who sucks horribly n pretend to be their friend bwahaha.
I never understood that mindset, personally.

krakkenchaos

Smash Rookie
How dare children play a game featuring characters like Mario, Pikachu, Sonic, and Mega Man, all who have toys, T-shirts, and cartoons marketed toward children.

Last edited:

Silversun247

Smash Cadet
Annoying little kids still have the right to fight. Change the word from casuals to little kids because casuals is a terrible term and isn't anything like kids. Anywho, what you do against casuals is beat them down like dogs. They either stop complaining and get competitive or just stop playing. Besides, kids play online? I figured they just play with kids on the bus or during school lunch over wireless.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I never understood that mindset, personally.
I can kind of get it. I've played some outright horrible randoms on SFIV and Injustice, and it's surprisingly fun to... toy with them. (I kind of feel dirty just saying that.)

For an example, I played a guy in a ranked SSFIV match a couple years back. It was best 2/3, and at some point early in the match, I grabbed him. He then predictably SRK'd on wake up, which I blocked, then grabbed again. Then he SRK'd again. So I blocked and grabbed. Again. This cycle repeated until he was near death, at which point he threw out his Ultra on wake up-- which I blocked, then grabbed.

Second match I was just having fun with him. He was scared of me. He threw tons of fireballs, and I dodged them-- and grabbed. He jumped, I air-grabbed. It was hilarious. Granted, you can break a grab at any point if you know it's coming, and I made no effort to hide what I was going to do. He just sucked at the game. I don't mean to sound elitist, but seriously. I don't know how this person had reached the rank he was (I believe his character was a 'C' and his PP was just under 1,000).

He then invited me to a party afterward and chewed me out for "spamming grabs", which isn't really a thing. Called me a spammer, said I was too defensive and, I quote, that "this isn't called Defensive Fighter, it's Street Fighter, you ****in' noob!"

There's a reason that match is so memorable, and it has nothing to do with the match being satisfyingly difficult.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
I've never understood how someone can achieve joy from another's misfortune or aggravation.

I can understand being happy to mess up someone who was a griefer though.
I have a negative sense of humor. I could go on but that's what my therapist is for. (It's my way to vent)
Anyways rock on ssb4!

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I have a negative sense of humor. I could go on but that's what my therapist is for. (It's my way to vent)
Anyways rock on ssb4!
I suppose that's quite alright since my sense of humor is more..raunchy..then anything else..or just stupid at other times lol.

Rock On indeed.

Robertzombie2

Smash Cadet
I can kind of get it. I've played some outright horrible randoms on SFIV and Injustice, and it's surprisingly fun to... toy with them. (I kind of feel dirty just saying that.)

For an example, I played a guy in a ranked SSFIV match a couple years back. It was best 2/3, and at some point early in the match, I grabbed him. He then predictably SRK'd on wake up, which I blocked, then grabbed again. Then he SRK'd again. So I blocked and grabbed. Again. This cycle repeated until he was near death, at which point he threw out his Ultra on wake up-- which I blocked, then grabbed.

Second match I was just having fun with him. He was scared of me. He threw tons of fireballs, and I dodged them-- and grabbed. He jumped, I air-grabbed. It was hilarious. Granted, you can break a grab at any point if you know it's coming, and I made no effort to hide what I was going to do. He just sucked at the game. I don't mean to sound elitist, but seriously. I don't know how this person had reached the rank he was (I believe his character was a 'C' and his PP was just under 1,000).

He then invited me to a party afterward and chewed me out for "spamming grabs", which isn't really a thing. Called me a spammer, said I was too defensive and, I quote, that "this isn't called Defensive Fighter, it's Street Fighter, you ****in' noob!"

There's a reason that match is so memorable, and it has nothing to do with the match being satisfyingly difficult.
great read lol

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I've never understood how someone can achieve joy from another's misfortune or aggravation.

I can understand being happy to mess up someone who was a griefer though.
Here's a crash course on online-centered morality even though the last line means you understand:

If the victim is a jerk(spammer, ragequitter, trash talker, squeaker), then it's mostly fine.

If the victim was suffering this for no reason other than to satisfy the person causing it, then it's wrong.

I'd get a kick over beating up a bad Sentinel user in UMVC3 who was a kid and only said the word WAFFLES over and over again like that episode from Teen Titans Go, for example, and nobody would call me out for taunting him in the lobby. They'd cheer me on.

Last edited:

SirSplash

Smash Rookie
"How are we Going to Deal with the Casuals?" What's wrong with the casuals? I just wanna play smash to have fun or try to win... nothing wrong with that. I think you're referring to the trash talkers, spammers, whiners, and sore losers, which me and a lot of the casuals(at least the ones i play with) don't do... Can you please stop referring to those people as casuals because it is quite a bit annoying... We don't go around calling competitive players entitled, elitist assholes

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't really understand this thread, why is it that the casuals have to be dealt with at all?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Pretty much agreed, Xiaphas.

After all, its not only Casuals that are Johns..after all, that term did originate from a Competitive Player..so yeah.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I don't understand...

Why are we dealing with casuals, or kids, in this case? They're trying to enjoy the game like everyone else. If you happen to come across someone who spams one move, just win and move on. Or just play with your friends online. There are plenty of people on this board who would be good competition or just trying to have fun without johns. I'm not sure if voice chat is available for these modes but if not then people complaining isn't an issue.

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
Ahaha. SSFIV is great for that. Had a similar experience a few years back; same thing, told me I was spamming grabs. Was using Hakan for the first match and Zangief for the second. Really seems like people get bent out of shape easier on that as opposed to other fighters.

I don't understand...

Why are we dealing with casuals, or kids, in this case? They're trying to enjoy the game like everyone else. If you happen to come across someone who spams one move, just win and move on. Or just play with your friends online. There are plenty of people on this board who would be good competition or just trying to have fun without johns. I'm not sure if voice chat is available for these modes but if not then people complaining isn't an issue.
What gets me the most about these kinds of statements is that, guess what? Those "casuals" pay for the development costs of these titles by a large majority, not the competitive scene. If you want to act toxic toward them then hey, go ahead. If by some miracle you "dealt with them" you'd just end up with a product of considerably lower quality next time around.

Either give people tips to be better or win and move on, but these kinds of attitudes in the FGC are petty and rather shortsighted.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Ahaha. SSFIV is great for that. Had a similar experience a few years back; same thing, told me I was spamming grabs. Was using Hakan for the first match and Zangief for the second. Really seems like people get bent out of shape easier on that as opposed to other fighters.
You know what makes that situation even funnier? I wasn't even using a command grab character. Just Cammy.

Bortverde

Smash Cadet
I would have more reasons to worry about lag than the casuals. I'm one of them anyway.

RedHotRubberDucky

Smash Cadet
This is very frustrating. Wi-fi on the 3ds version (and later), is going to be plagued with 7 year old children, thinking they're the best players in the world, spamming buttons. I don't mind casual players, as long as they don't go around claiming to be the best, and when they lose, start spurting johns such as "u cheted" "tht wan't me plying, it ws my brthr. u suk" I didn't really play much Brawl, but from what I've played I can see the problems the community has with it.

Off topic, I really think this is the chance to get something fresh, and finally let the community move forward. This game has a lot of potential, but it's not going to be the same as melee. I think this game will be better for faster paced characters, with good combo ability. The sad thing is the lack of AT's. LITERALLY NO MORE DASH DANCING?! I think there are some AT's to be found out in this game though.

Anyway back on topic I really wish there was a way to sort out these casual players thinking they're the best from the competitive players...

What do you guys think?
How we going to deal with all the anti-social competitive players who go around acting they are the best? Ever think there could be a casual player BETTER than a competitive player? Oh god forbid that ever happen. We can't have the competitive "family" getting beat by a casual. Oh dear.

Threads like this are just stupid. ****ing being all racist to casual players. Only looking for the best for competitive. ****ing need to start a ****ing Anti-Slavery movement but for casuals since this forum caters to the beloved competitive players.

Online mode is online mode. You are going to get people acting like they are the best regardless if you "sort out THESE casuals". Suck it up because you'll always have your tournaments and EVO **** to prove "who is the best". So pissed off with the majority of this forum treating casual players like **** even though most of you will say you respect and support casuals, but you actually all really don't. Its all about the competitive "scene" and **** here. **** this thread.

Before you crybabies jump to conclusions, I support both competitive and casual players. I just ****ing hate how no one is treated equally here. Don't even say people are treated equally here because even though I barely post, I lurk enough to see how everyone is treated here. Most of this post will be ignored or potentially removed because I talked badly towards the competitive scene. Don't even get me ****ing started on Project M.

Overall **** this. Treat everyone equally for once. Competitive players will always have melee to go to. We all know you guys LOVE melee. If Smash 4 turns out to YOUR liking, that is great. Casual players will always do what they do and play how they want. Just seriously ****. Treat everyone no matter what "group" equally for once. ****.

cornandbeans

Smash Cadet
Is this a trick question? What all is there to do, your ultimate goal is to win, no matter who you're facing.

I personally find casuals enjoyable to play with. And trust me, they'll try to insult you and mock you for beating them just as a competitive player would. "Wow wtf u use items U SUCK"

laces

Smash Cadet
ARE YOU KIDDING!? One of the things I'm looking forward to most is wiping the floor with a bunch of online scrubs. This thread has it backwards. It should be more like, "how the hell are casuals gonna stand a chance against the competitive players!?"

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Don't have crouching/taunting parties again. That ruined Brawl's online mode. Learn.

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord
You guys need to remember the competitive side of Smash is actually a minority, just because you see a lot of guys online doesn't actually mean there are millions of people who wavedash and scream about Fox having an extra frame in his landing animation. Besides, there is nothing wrong with being a casual, people seem to think its a bad thing.

Competitive players are so high and mighty of themselves.
And I do agree with this, the attitude I tend to get from most (not all) competitive players is that if you play differently from they do, you get slandered, they need to remember they're the ones changing how the game is played, not the "casuals"

"turns items off, bans stages, stock 4, 8 minutes, I pick first" is not how everyone should play smash, it's how you play if you want to play in a tournament.

Meanwhile I'm playing coin match on the SMB level with Mario only items on set to high with 3 friends.

Last edited:

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
You guys need to remember the competitive side of Smash is actually a minority, just because you see a lot of guys online doesn't actually mean there are millions of people who wavedash and scream about Fox having an extra frame in his landing animation. Besides, there is nothing wrong with being a casual, people seem to think its a bad thing.

And I do agree with this, the attitude I tend to get from most (not all) competitive players is that if you play differently from they do, you get slandered, they need to remember they're the ones changing how the game is played, not the "casuals"

"turns items off, bans stages, stock 4, 8 minutes, I pick first" is not how everyone should play smash, it's how you play if you want to play in a tournament.

Meanwhile I'm playing coin match on the SMB level with Mario only items on set to high with 3 friends.
Well tbf even competitive players can't be called competitive if they aren't making a profit from it on a regular basis. All of that is subjective. I consider everyone a casual player of Smash, whether or not they think themselves competitive. That's not going to stop me from trying to understand the people I fight and figure out the best way to beat them, but I'm not going to bother screaming if I lose or listening to screaming from someone taking a fun experience way too seriously.

RunawayPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NiftySSB
How we going to deal with all the anti-social competitive players who go around acting they are the best? Ever think there could be a casual player BETTER than a competitive player? Oh god forbid that ever happen. We can't have the competitive "family" getting beat by a casual. Oh dear.

Threads like this are just stupid. ****ing being all racist to casual players. Only looking for the best for competitive. ****ing need to start a ****ing Anti-Slavery movement but for casuals since this forum caters to the beloved competitive players.

Online mode is online mode. You are going to get people acting like they are the best regardless if you "sort out THESE casuals". Suck it up because you'll always have your tournaments and EVO **** to prove "who is the best". So pissed off with the majority of this forum treating casual players like **** even though most of you will say you respect and support casuals, but you actually all really don't. Its all about the competitive "scene" and **** here. **** this thread.

Before you crybabies jump to conclusions, I support both competitive and casual players. I just ****ing hate how no one is treated equally here. Don't even say people are treated equally here because even though I barely post, I lurk enough to see how everyone is treated here. Most of this post will be ignored or potentially removed because I talked badly towards the competitive scene. Don't even get me ****ing started on Project M.

Overall **** this. Treat everyone equally for once. Competitive players will always have melee to go to. We all know you guys LOVE melee. If Smash 4 turns out to YOUR liking, that is great. Casual players will always do what they do and play how they want. Just seriously ****. Treat everyone no matter what "group" equally for once. ****.
New competitor for the mayor of Saltimore City

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Don't even get me ****ing started on Project M.
To be fair, Project M's goal isn't to be a carbon copy of Melee...and even though I'm not a competitive player, I adore Project M since it allows me to play as Mewtwo & Roy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, adds new colours and costumes, and helps me easily add in my own costumes, like Skyward Sword Zelda and Princess Daisy.

I do have to say though, I don't care for the label 'casual' at all..To me, a casual is someone who plays games casually, doesn't invest the time in them, doesn't go on forums for them, doesn't talk about them constantly, etc.
I live and breath video games..I mean, my first thoughts when going through Kid Icarus Uprising and Fire Emblem Awakening were 'I'd love to have Medusa/Lucina in Super Smash Bros' and 'I really hope this song gets into Super Smash Bros' (which most of them I wanted did, like id Purpose for FEA and Dark Pit's Theme for KIU).

I'm competitive in the sense that I learn every technique, frame, etc of a game (partially because I don't want to be that drastically better then my more casual friends/family), but I'm not a casual either since I still greatly care about what gets into the game.

Regardless, I do agree with most of your points, we all need to be treated equally and with respect. If we're here, its obvious that we all love Super Smash Bros. Even if we like different things about it, we should all be unified as fans..I mean, we get enough hate from other people who see us as nerds/geeks anyway..why should we fight amongst ourselves as well?

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
Well tbf even competitive players can't be called competitive if they aren't making a profit from it on a regular basis. All of that is subjective. I consider everyone a casual player of Smash, whether or not they think themselves competitive. That's not going to stop me from trying to understand the people I fight and figure out the best way to beat them, but I'm not going to bother screaming if I lose or listening to screaming from someone taking a fun experience way too seriously.
No they can be called competitive if they aren't getting paid, competitive is how hard and dedicated you are at something. If I play a game of football with my friends in a serious fashion I'm playing a competitive game of football. What they can't be called is professional without winning money on a regular basis.

Albeit the sports analogy is a bit blurred since E-sports/gaming work differently from sports, but in my opinion the distinction between competitive and professional is still a clear one.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
To be fair, just because someone is a Competitive Player doesn't mean they're good and just because another is a Casual doesn't mean they're bad.
The likelihood for a Competitive Player being good and a Casual Player being bad are high, but not certainties.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
ARE YOU KIDDING!? One of the things I'm looking forward to most is wiping the floor with a bunch of online scrubs. This thread has it backwards. It should be more like, "how the hell are casuals gonna stand a chance against the competitive players!?"
I'm a casual and I've more than held my own against a fair number of so-called 'competitive' players.

Top Bottom