• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gea

Smash Master
To be fair, by legal definition games of skill are not gambling. However he does enter his own events which is illegal. The more you know.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
unless its video game related right?
sorry guys, I had to take the bait
Lol you pay to play a video game

Edit, it's okay Sus, so did I...

I am paying for entertainment. If i just so happen to win money, lady luck smiled upon me that day and not the gambling devil.

It is the same as if i were to pay money to go see a movie (entertainment). If i just so happen to see a hot girl and we do the nasty in the theater it don't mean i paid for a prostitute.

Gea

Smash Master
I am paying for entertainment. If i just so happen to win money, lady luck smiled upon me that day and not the gambling devil.

It is the same as if i were to pay money to go see a movie (entertainment). If i just so happen to see a hot girl and we do the nasty in the theater it don't mean i paid for a prostitute.
Never ever use this horrible line of "logic" in court.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I would like to see Allan use this logic in court, then yell "DEAL WITH IT!!11!!!!!!" at the judge.

The results would be...most amusing.

Xyro77

Clearly not or else wouldnt have told me to not use logic.

you guys continue to be super dummies.

Player-4

See you in 25 years

Oh that's cool, I feel the same about poker :)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
So...what's you're average in math again?

Xyro77

So...what's you're average in math again?
Quizzes are 10% of my total grade and i made a 15, 56, 50
Tests are 50% of my total grade and i made a 74, 78
Final is 30% of my grade
Attendance is 10% of my grade

So yea YOU do the math.

Tesh

Smash Hero
rayman looked pretty boring but i feel that way about all rayman games. they all feel like very generic platformers for babies.

Xyro77

tbh the newest rayman is really fun especially if you have someone helping you play it (co-op)

Tesh

Smash Hero
I enjoyed the musical stage in the demo, but the rest of it was only slightly stimulating because of the gamepad. I can't imagine how boring the PS3/360 ports will be without being able to tickle giant ogres on the touch screen.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The Wii U upcoming games is very...lacking right now.

MH3U and Pikmin 3, then...uh...yep.

Needs more exclusives.

Meanwhile, 3DS is why-can't-I-hold-all-these-upcoming-games status.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
sorry I had to leave suddenly. Even though I left two hours early, I still didn't end up getting to my bus in time so now I have to wait 3 more hours for the next one. I'm feeling better at least, but I apologize for disappearing last night/ not entering the tourney to go sleep, but my head was killing me. I really should have left yesterday like I planned to, but I wanted to see everyone that came over last night so I stayed, and my body suffered for it and I ended up missing all the hype anyway so last night and this morning have sucked so bad for me.

I'll remember in the future all the mistakes I made this week and not **** things up again. I had an amazing time tho, so thank you all for that. Now to kill some time for the next 3 hours, thank you based free wifi.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
ily zano hope you feel better bud

BUT

WHO HAS THE WII WITH MAJORA'S MASK ON IT?

Igetitpoppin01

Smash Apprentice
Asa pls cook for me when I go over, I'll finish it with a browny pls(obv not a natural one). I'll give you a based 50$ dollar budget(I'll give you 50 dollars) to cook me like a god.

Tesh

Smash Hero
The Wii U upcoming games is very...lacking right now.

MH3U and Pikmin 3, then...uh...yep.

Needs more exclusives.

Meanwhile, 3DS is why-can't-I-hold-all-these-upcoming-games status.
doesnt help that almost every multi-platform game coming out is skipping the wii u and some of its exclusives are now being re-released for sony and microsoft with upgraded versions. Nintendo really didn't come out guns blazing like I thought they would. I'm sure if they had a fresh mario/zelda/metroid/kart/party etc. out in the first 6 months, they would sell enough consoles to appeal to 3rd parties more.

At this point I'm doubting Bayonetta 2 will stay exclusive. Its probably designed to play on the Wii U, but I expect it will port to Xbox 720 and Ps4
ily zano hope you feel better bud

BUT

WHO HAS THE WII WITH MAJORA'S MASK ON IT?
lol i told zano to put it on another wii for you. literally half a dozen wiis and he put it on the one that wont be staying for the weekend. when you guys started doing that, I was led to believe you were putting it on an SD card, not my wii.

Xyro77

doesnt help that almost every multi-platform game coming out is skipping the wii u and some of its exclusives are now being re-released for sony and microsoft with upgraded versions. Nintendo really didn't come out guns blazing like I thought they would. I'm sure if they had a fresh mario/zelda/metroid/kart/party etc. out in the first 6 months, they would sell enough consoles to appeal to 3rd parties more.

At this point I'm doubting Bayonetta 2 will stay exclusive. Its probably designed to play on the Wii U, but I expect it will port to Xbox 720 and Ps4.

The issue right now is Nintendo is finally deciding to go mainstream with its "HD graphics" "decent online" "more social" "appeal to 3rd party" and that great/its working but the problem is the fact that they are late to the party. They have some really great 3rd party games out right now (ME3/Batman/Tekken Tag 2/CoD...ect) but the problem is that those games all have been out on the other systems for a while now (Batman came out a year ago for ps3/360) so there is no reason to buy old games for a new system. Sure ZombiU is great but again its a game that is good because of they WAY you play it (its unique). Mainstream gamers are very very shallow (hence the sales of CoD and other shooters) who want pretty graphics and low level thinking type games that are easy to pick up and play (they dont care about new ways to exp/play games). Devs know this so why would they go out of their way and make a unique game for WiiU when they can make a cheaper/normal type game for the huge install base of the ps3/360. Modern day gaming is about money more than anything. The days of risks and expressing yourself are almost over. Its pretty much all cut scenes/graphics and sequels.

Also, it is wise to not drop your heavy hitters (mario/zelda/metroid/kart/pokemon....ect) at the beginning of a generation when the WiiU install base is so low. You build it up with low to medium grade games and 3rd party games then when the user base is huge, you drop the nukes and u make millions of dollars.

Bayonetta 2 cannot be released on any other system unless Nintendo allows it. Nintendo bought the rights and is paying for the development of the game. There was an interview right after E3 that talked about this.

Igetitpoppin01

Smash Apprentice
I don't even know why I have a wiiu right now, ppl are telling to get nintendoland but honestly... is that the best option? That's just sad; I'm just on that HALO SWAG atm.

Xyro77

I don't even know why I have a wiiu right now, ppl are telling to get nintendoland but honestly... is that the best option? That's just sad; I'm just on that HALO SWAG atm.
Nintendo land is awesome if you have 3 or more people to play with. If not, don't get it. ZombiU is good and so are other games like tekken/cod or whatever. Your a mainstream gamer, stop ******** and go play your GayBox or GayStation.

Tesh

Smash Hero
nintendoland is garbage if you are playing alone

@ xyro, i know that, but if there is a big enough fanbase on ps2 and xbox that wont buy wii u (this is where bayonetta's fans came from if they haven't been following platinum since madworld), nintendo would still have the business smarts to make the money from selling it across all platforms,

problem with wii u is the new gimmick is something they already did twice (wii u is just a DS where the top screen is your TV) and touch screens aren't fun or intuitive for most games like motion controls COULD be. personally I'd say playing FPS with a wiimote gave me the best control aside from a mouse and keyboard, but a touch screen adds nothing to that. I'm hoping for an HD Elite Beat Agents for Wii U, but otherwise I just enjoy that the console is a bit more portable than an xbox/ps3 for me.

good exclusives are how you sell consoles. I didn't own a ps3 until I saw god of war 3 get released. i didnt own a wii until smash bros got released.

wii u has basically no system sellers at the moment and its offering pretty much nothing as far as multi platform games. last gen HD kept them out of the party because stuff like bayonetta, real COD games and such couldnt run on the wii, but now they still cant get in.

edit: tekken/cod are garbage on wii u because you have way less people to play with, if you cant enjoy playing by yourself, you shouldn't get one right now (thats why its called a Wii you, cuz no one else wants to play this time)

Xyro77

nintendoland is garbage if you are playing alone
i agree totally.

@ xyro, i know that, but if there is a big enough fanbase on ps2 and xbox that wont buy wii u (this is where bayonetta's fans came from if they haven't been following platinum since madworld), nintendo would still have the business smarts to make the money from selling it across all platforms
This is Nintendo dude, the chances of them going multiplatform is very very slim. They JUST started to do this with iOS. But honestly, if you are a TRUE die hard fan of any series, you will get w/e console has the game you like. Even if it means they wait for a price cut.

problem with wii u is the new gimmick is something they already did twice (wii u is just a DS where the top screen is your TV) and touch screens aren't fun or intuitive for most games like motion controls COULD be.
The term "gimmick" is used so incorrectly. Whether its in smash or in gaming. a Gimmick is something that makes an item or exp "stand out" and adds little or no value to an experience/item. Motion controls for Wii were NOT a gimmick. Look at the sales (wii is the highest selling console this gen), look at the improvements of the FPS genre for consoles (MoH:H/MP3/CoD), look what it did for nursing homes/rehabilitation centers around the nation (there is literal science backing this up) and look at the copies (sony's PS Move). Its anything BUT a gimmick and it WORKS. It only doesn't work and it only is a hassle when devs are lazy. And sadly, the "it doesnt work" or "its a hassle" is the majority because devs do not want to take risks/spend more money.

The tablet is in the same boat. It can be used to make gaming experiences easier and more in depth. ZombiU (scanning things) and Nintendo Land (Chase Mii) is a perfect example of how the tablet IMPROVES certain aspects of gaming. There is a bunch more to find out about the WiiU tablet but we need devs to take risks.

And are you serious when you say the DS was a gimmick? Dude, double screens made so much **** easier/improved. From maps to inventory screens....ect. It cut down on the amount of time spent going through menus. The WiiU tablet will do the same and more.

personally I'd say playing FPS with a wiimote gave me the best control aside from a mouse and keyboard, but a touch screen adds nothing to that. I'm hoping for an HD Elite Beat Agents for Wii U, but otherwise I just enjoy that the console is a bit more portable than an xbox/ps3 for me.
I agree, other than a mouse, wiimote is the best FPS experience ive ever had (Metroid Prime 3). And a touch screen really isnt gonna add much to a mainstream FPS experience other than a better map or an easy flick of the finger on the screen can switch weapons. This is because those types of games are not meant to be in depth/unique. Something like ZombiU or Metroid prime 4 where you would scan stuff or zoom in to grapple across a area would def make the tablet seem awesome.

Also, WatchDogs (3rd party bad ass game) is PERFECT for WiiU. Your tablet is literally your "hacking central" and since that game is about hacking i cant imagine a better system for it.

good exclusives are how you sell consoles. I didn't own a ps3 until I saw god of war 3 get released. i didnt own a wii until smash bros got released.
Good exclusives? Nintendo is literally the KING of exclusive. Nintendo has the largest first party pool of games on the planet (larger than son+microsoft combine) and they are ONLY found on Nintendo products thus making them exclusive. I think you mean 3rd party exclusives and even then, that is phasing out very very quickly (especially wii/360/ps3 era). As a dev, i wouldn't want to hold my game back and only have it one one system. I would want to get it on as many systems as possible (especially if they are close when it comes to specs aka 360+ps3) so i can double/triple my money.

And TBH, most people don't buy consoles right off the bat. People wait until there is a game or two that appeals to them before they buy a console. So what you are doing is completely normal.

u has basically no system sellers at the moment and its offering pretty much nothing as far as multi platform games. last gen HD kept them out of the party because stuff like bayonetta, real COD games and such couldnt run on the wii, but now they still cant get in.
No system sellers? I agree totally.

Last gen they got **** on because as usual they choose to do what THEY want and not what the gaming industry wants. I really respect them for that. Nintendo is the LAST of the true console gaming elites. At this point in time, its STUPID to own a ps3/360/ps4/720. They are basically computers so u might as well go get a computer. Its got better graphics and better controls. Consoles have gone literally in the opposite direction they were originally heading into. Thanks to gen 6 and the original Xbox.

edit: tekken/cod are garbage on wii u because you have way less people to play with, if you cant enjoy playing by yourself, you shouldn't get one right now (thats why its called a Wii you, cuz no one else wants to play this time)
Dude, its a NEW system. of course there will barely be anybody online. i seriously cant believe you judge a game based off of its online part.

Tesh

Smash Hero
COD's story is ********, its AI is ******** and the single player is boring a **** in every way. You HAVE to base COD on its multiplayer. That fact that no one has a Wii U means games like that wont even sell to wii u owners because its pointless. I'd love to play COD on my Wii U, but its a barren wasteland.

Motion controls can be used in almost any kind of game is applied properly. Touch screens are a step back for control (especially the touch screen on the Wii U) and they did it twice. There isn't really even much to say as far as being able to use the gamepad and wiimote to combine touch and motion because its not possible. Touching a flat slippery surface is not as fun as being able to feel like you are swinging a sword, throwing a punch or aiming a gun. Its not really that appealing at all.

Xyro77

COD's story is ********, its AI is ******** and the single player is boring a **** in every way. You HAVE to base COD on its multiplayer.
So then all that means is that YOU think it is a bad single player game and that what you call a GOOD multiplayer game is a billion people online ready to play. Not too sure if thats a good judgement of what a "good game" is or not.

That fact that no one has a Wii U means games like that wont even sell to wii u owners because its pointless. I'd love to play COD on my Wii U, but its a barren wasteland.
Remember, CoD built up its fame and fortune on the ps3/360 so not only are most of those players already on those systems, there really isnt anything on the WiiU version other than off-TV gameplay that will pull them in. Besides, its a NEW system, so like i said the sales will auto be smaller. Its not a fair comparison imo.

Motion controls can be used in almost any kind of game is applied properly. Touch screens are a step back for control (especially the touch screen on the Wii U) and they did it twice. There isn't really even much to say as far as being able to use the gamepad and wiimote to combine touch and motion because its not possible. Touching a flat slippery surface is not as fun as being able to feel like you are swinging a sword, throwing a punch or aiming a gun. Its not really that appealing at all.
I agree with you on all of that. But i dont think Nintendo is going for motion control anymore. I think that was a Wii only thing. WiiU is another different attempt at getting the casual gamer/non gamers/core gamers but with a 2nd screen, off-tv gameplay, 3rd party support. Tablets/touch screens/tv/digital media (netflix/youtube...ect) are literally a HUGE deal now and Nintendo wants to link all of that together with the WiiU. Nintendo is just attempting to keep things fresh in the hardware/gameplay area like they always do. It worked big time with the wii and they think it will work big time with WiiU but i seriously think it wont because the casuals/non gamers moved on to the iphone and facebook. Only time will tell though.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Also, it is wise to not drop your heavy hitters (mario/zelda/metroid/kart/pokemon....ect) at the beginning of a generation when the WiiU install base is so low. You build it up with low to medium grade games and 3rd party games then when the user base is huge, you drop the nukes and u make millions of dollars.
Wat.

You know damn well if they launched the Wii U with a Pokemon or Smash game, the system would sell MILLIONS within a week. There would be true shortages.

Wii, PS3, Xbox, 3DS, and Vita all had **** games at launch. It's not smart, it's annoying. It shows they are rushing out the system for the holidays.

Tesh

Smash Hero
^I agree here. Once you get them to buy the system, its much easier to say "hey buy this 7.5/10 game, you already have this system anyway". Thats how I got my Wii/Ps3 collection. If not for Smash (2 years after the wii came out), I wouldn't have purchased madworld, both zeldas, some horrible spiderman game, pikmin, both super mario galaxies

Xyro77

Wat.

You know damn well if they launched the Wii U with a Pokemon or Smash game, the system would sell MILLIONS within a week. There would be true shortages.
RT thats ********.

You NEVER show your big guns at the beginning. Especially when the race is a LONG TERM race (consoles tend to last between 5-7 years) and your foes are not even out to fight yet (720/ps4). When times get rough (whether it be low sales or high competition by the foe), drop one or two big names (thus Monster Hunter). Then a little while later, drop 1-2 more....ect. Then around the holidays, drop 1 or 2 more. Its a process, dude.

Nintendo is selling the WiiU at a LOSS right now, the last thing they want is WiiUs to fly off the shelves and cause them to lose even more money (im pretty sure Nintendo said the WiiU is profitable IF they sell 2 wiiu games and a console). As time goes on the system will start making money and when it does you then drop SSB4. Its easier to make money off of a game when the consoles are already out there to play it. Its really hard to sell a console(wiiu)+game(ssb4) when both are expensive and your user base is 18 year olds and below (aka they dont have a solid income).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom