• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
At least you can hit Mario's shield without taking 20%.

Trela, let's do commentary some time. It'd be the best. CT and VGBC will retire from utter shame. :applejack:

Last edited:

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
Espy money match me in commentating
If Trela and my commentary is better than you and Trela's I'll give you $20
If mine is better you have to team with me for TGC 4

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I don't know why you feel the need to throw away $20.

At least donate to charity or something.

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
@ Xyro77 Xyro77 the capture card you get will dictate the specs you need on the laptop. I would say the computer is the most important aspect. You would need a good chunk of change if you want to get a killer laptop for streaming that can have the capacity to do everything you want and have the flexibly to do more later on.

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
I don't know why you feel the need to throw away $20.

At least donate to charity or something.
I actually would like to have decent commentating believe it or not
I heard my commentating with Trela BC and Xyro from the 1st SFC and it was pretty bad

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Commentating is very hard to do correctly.

-You need to be able to articulate. Most people struggle here imo. Saying "OH MY GOD, THE READS!!!!111!1!!!" and "SICK READS!!!!!1111!1!" over and over about
small stuff like a simple grab is an example of the biggest offender.

-You need to have a good understanding of the game. And I mean, players, player history, game mechanics and nuances, terms, etc. Stating incorrect facts confuses people.

-Have good tone and be full of energy. No robots plz.

-Know to keep the focus on matches and Smash. Talking about weed, drugs, and other stupid **** doesn't contribute at all and isn't funny if you want serious commentary. No one wants to hear about your personal ****.

-Be entertaining. This is hard for a lot of people too. There have been so many commentaries where I just muted, which defeats the point of commentary.

Overall, just use common sense. If it doesn't contribute or educate towards the match, just don't talk.

Last edited:

Oni•n

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Onion546714
3DS FC
5129-2796-7326
I actually would like to have decent commentating believe it or not
I heard my commentating with Trela BC and Xyro from the 1st SFC and it was pretty bad
You have to start somewhere though, right? You'll be a good commentator someday. Just keep hopping on the mic to gain more and more experience.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
@ Xyro77 Xyro77 the capture card you get will dictate the specs you need on the laptop. I would say the computer is the most important aspect. You would need a good chunk of change if you want to get a killer laptop for streaming that can have the capacity to do everything you want and have the flexibly to do more later on.

Recommend something for me plz !!!!!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You have to start somewhere though, right? You'll be a good commentator someday. Just keep hopping on the mic to gain more and more experience.
He's not starting on the Houston stream if he's garbage. Watch commentary from like Prog and learn from one of the best first.

Last edited:

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
Lol I'll PM you what equipment I have. Idk it's optimal ( I probably overbought) or what the pro streamers use, but it's served me well so far. Again, it just depends on the capture card how strong you need the computer. I'll send you what I have tonight.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's just like he said, it depends on what you want.

So you want a setup like Tourneylocator and CT user? Or do you want a poor man's setup like I use?

You need to lay out the requirements.

FYI, I use the Elgato HD GameCapture HD60. It's relatively good for under $200 when I bought it, but the packaged software is finnicky and probably needs better third party software for streaming/heavy editing.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Once Santi sends me the specs, I'll search this stuff and get a price point. We can go from there.

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
Yea I bought the elgato hd60 and use OBS for that. I like it. I run it 1080 at 30 fps with little problem. You can stream at twitch levels but I go higher so the YouTube recordings will have nice quality.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yea I bought the elgato hd60 and use OBS for that. I like it. I run it 1080 at 30 fps with little problem. You can stream at twitch levels but I go higher so the YouTube recordings will have nice quality.
Noted, I'll keep this in mind when then time comes...

Teshie U

Smash Lord
@Trela I'm exactly the kind of person that doesn't belong on commentary. I know alot about the game mechanics and little matchup specific tricks, but I mostly prefer to just do "crowd" stuff. Crack jokes, make sarcastic comments, one liners etc.

I'm just not gonna try to pass that off as commentary like so many others have already.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Illmatic is a really good commentator.
No way in hell I'm reading his wall of text from like a couple months back, but I'm guessing the too ****ing long didn't read version of it was "I quit smash"

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
@Trela I'm exactly the kind of person that doesn't belong on commentary. I know alot about the game mechanics and little matchup specific tricks, but I mostly prefer to just do "crowd" stuff. Crack jokes, make sarcastic comments, one liners etc.

I'm just not gonna try to pass that off as commentary like so many others have already.
I feel the same about myself. I know I am also terrible at articulating.

Some people just aren't meant for commentating, just like any skill or profession.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Commentating isn't a skill. Just be educated, slightly entertaining and a fast eye-to-mouth translator.

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
Watching TGC 2 Onion vs Xyro and all I can say is that he's really improved and I'm proud of him
TGC 3 he takes a game off Xyro finally confirmed?

Oni•n

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Onion546714
3DS FC
5129-2796-7326
I'm going to do it. Now that I have my adapter back, I'm not going to hold back. I'm going to destroy you, you drunk lesbian! The son will surpass the father!

Can you guys give me some tips on how to become a better player? Thanks!

Xyro77

The "best" or the most thrown in your face? That is how getting popular work in smash. How many times people see/hear about you=how popular you become.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I do enjoy Prog's commentary from time to time, but I'd definitely avoid his style. It's boring and lacks energy. :applejack:

Last edited:

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Now that Im fully recovered from Texas Gaming Championships 2, I want to say Thank You to everyone that attended. Despite the bad weather with slippery roads with floods and thunderstorms and some freeways being closed down temporarily, TGC 2 had 200 people in total including competitors and spectators. Congratulations to all the champions that placed in Smash 4, Umvc3, KI, Usf4, Project M and Melee. I want to give shoutouts to everyone who traveled from every major city in Texas to this event and to everyone that brought setups, much appreciated! I also want to give shoutouts to the TGC Tournament Helper Crew: Justin Brown, Quince Easter, Antonio Alexander, Mojo, Jake 13, Bruce Wayne, Devin and everyone else who pitched in helping run brackets and seeding. Now that TGC 2 is in the record books TGC 3 will be June 20 back at the Le Jardin venue. For TGC 3 I will be contacting the Houston Press and either getting Fox 26, The CW, Channel 2 or Channel 13 to cover this event. I will keep everyone updated on this progress. Since the 1st half of the TGC schedule is coming to a close I want to announce the 2nd half of the TGC schedule which is TGC 4 = Aug 8, TGC 5 = Oct 3 and TGC 6 = Dec 5. Im announcing this now so everyone can plan ahead and request off work to make these dates and I will give details on the venue and information soon. www.TGCseries.com will be updated with the TGC 2 rankings and results soon so check the site in a few hours. Im glad everyone had a good time and I will be making some announcements soon so stay tuned!

TGC Store: Me and my team are almost done with the store. I will be making an announcement soon. In the meantime bookmark this site: http://www.TGCstore.club

TGC App: Me and my team are almost done with the app. I will be making an announcement soon. In the meantime bookmark this site: http://www.TGCapp.net

TGC 2 Results: Smash 4: http://smashboards.com/threads/offi...uston-tx-4-25-2015-mewtwo-breaks-top-3.400708
Umvc3/PM/Melee/Usf4/KI: http://challonge.com/users/tgc

RunC.T.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RunC.T.
3DS FC
1204-0385-5852
Once Santi sends me the specs, I'll search this stuff and get a price point. We can go from there.
I actually have a streaming graphics card that I don't use at all. barely used,so basically new. you can use it,so you won't have to buy as much.

GEFORCE GTX 970 is the brand. I did some research and it seems pretty top of the line.

Last edited:

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
I asked a few people on Facebook but I'll ask to generally everyone on here
Would any of you guys like to come to my High School graduation in early June?
It would mean a lot for some of my close friends here to see me overcome the first of many obstacles in my life.
You could all meet my parents if you'd like and we could go somewhere to eat afterwards.
I'd just like to know who'd be willing to come and it would mean a lot.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
It would mean a lot for some of my close friends here to see me overcome the first of many obstacles in my life.
You could all meet my parents if you'd like and we could go somewhere to eat afterwards.
I'd come Gauis (:

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
I used to shoutcast for League of Legends and have my desktop currently set up as a streamer setup (high quality internals with Xsplit license and podcast microphone with pop shield). Personally I don't think it's too hard to do so long as you have a dedicated internet setup at location and someone with a decent capture card to split the main tv. My only problem is I lack that capture card (considering I want an internal one) but an external would work all the same. That and you need people who are just highly knowledgeable about... everything. The people, the matchups, the stages... and they need to be hype when necessary. Sometimes it even helps to know people that have "video personalities". Some people are just kind of meh in person, but get them behind a camera and microphone and all of a sudden you have a winner. I'm sure there's someone around here that could fill that role, so long as it isn't Krebs ;)

Oni•n

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Onion546714
3DS FC
5129-2796-7326
I'll be willing to come. What school do you go to?

frcShoryuken

Smash Cadet

You could be the "color commentator" with that skillset. Team up with a person who can do the main commenting, that doesn't do the jokes, etc. Then you come in with the relevant info but with some added spice between matches or during any downtime in the match

Top Bottom