• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
So if you ever lose to a low tier, does that mean you're a ****-eater?

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
I will not change my ways due to wimps without tough skin.

Get tough skin. You will go far in life once you do.

Low tiers are not turds though
High five that sentiment. I'm gonna stick with Link after all. Too much potential still untapped. Didn't find anyone as fun as him to play. Even though I have to play more campy without jabs (sorry in advance).

Although, I have kind of a noobish question. Does anyone actually use tap jump? I feel like I'm the only who does. I still do all the short hops and uptilts I need to, so is there any reason to turn it off?

Edit: RT, yes.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Tap jump is used mostly used by REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAL Smashers, you nub.

But yeah, many people do not use it, because tap jump on sometimes leads to improper inputs because of this game and buffering and double jumps getting eaten and UpBs being messed up. You do lose out on easier to do JC Usmashes or the like though.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
High five that sentiment. I'm gonna stick with Link after all. Too much potential still untapped. Didn't find anyone as fun as him to play. Even though I have to play more campy without jabs (sorry in advance).

Although, I have kind of a noobish question. Does anyone actually use tap jump? I feel like I'm the only who does. I still do all the short hops and uptilts I need to, so is there any reason to turn it off?

Edit: RT, yes.
easier to angle up your shield, no chance to screw up things by accidently jumping, can DI in any upwards directions w/out fear of using your double jump, and I'm sure there's character specific things too. Just makes alot of things easier imo, for the loss of having to press on extra button to upsmash/upb out of shield

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I use REAL controls. I don't customize mine like BABIES who can't learn smash the REAL way.

Plus, up+b oos is worse if tap jump is off.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
One of my best friends, Tyler, is going to TGC. We played Melee and Brawl back in high school, and I stood in his wedding about two years ago. This is his second Smash 4 tournament. He's not really one to impose, so I know for a fact he's not gonna be telling people he's one of Zigsta's best friends. He's likely to lay low--but please don't let him if you see him! He's got light blonde hair, is about 6 foot, and offhand is maining Diddy/ZSS. Please give him a warm Texas welcome for me!

I'm really hoping there's an event I can fly out to sometime because I miss all you awesome people. :)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I feel sorry for everyone that lost to Trela's Charizard then.

Last edited:

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
I will not change my ways due to wimps without tough skin.

Get tough skin. You will go far in life once you do.

Low tiers are not turds though
I'm not telling you to change and I'm even implying I'm going to change
You're a good friend Xyro I just wish I didn't naturally have these qualities you don't like

Xyro77

I wanna do pools at TGC. I'd like a 32 man bracket.

Give me ideas for pools If 200 or 150 or 100 people went.

Example: For 200, 10 pools of 20 with top 3 getting out=30. The bracket would bump to 32.

Last edited:

Nike.

Smash Hero
I've always been a fan of 24 and 48 man brackets. It give's the 1 seeds a bye in the first round, with the 2 seeds vs 3 seeds fighting in the first round. I think 1 seeds should be rewarded for winning their pool.

A pool should also have no more than 8 players, though 9's are okay. 10 man pools are hell for obvious reasons.

128 players = 16 pools with 8 players each, top3 make it out to create a 48 man bracket.

Last edited:

Nike.

Smash Hero
That said:

16 pools, top2 make it out of pools.
Creates a 32 man bracket, 1 seeds vs 2 seeds

128 entrants = 8 per pool
144 entrants = 9 per pool
160 = 10 per pool

While that is the best way to make a 32 man bracket with this big a tourney, I've never been a fan of it. A TON of people drown, to the point that anyone who's a 2-4 seed in their pool will be in a nervous breakdown the entire time. Upsets could also mean a top player could've been a random character, got second seed, and then plays a 1 seed in the first round. That 1 seed player would be upset, I imagine.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Please make sure you start singles ASAP though. Don't wait for doubles to finish, its better to have your top seeds play out their matches last anyway.

@ Knife8193 Knife8193 dont fret, didnt link get some noticeable buffs to help balance out his playstyle? stronger grab and OoS game and more than just trying to jab anything that comes near you.

Suspect

Smash Hero
Wow, this is pretty dumb. Whoever suggested this must be a top player who just wants more money.

It really annoys me how money-hungry the community has become. Go get a real damn job, you slobs. Stop trying to live off of playing video games.

Seriously, I really hate the atmosphere.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Please make sure you start singles ASAP though. Don't wait for doubles to finish, its better to have your top seeds play out their matches last anyway.

@ Knife8193 Knife8193 dont fret, didnt link get some noticeable buffs to help balance out his playstyle? stronger grab and OoS game and more than just trying to jab anything that comes near you.
Yeah. The biggest buff is to grounded spin attack. It comes out on frame 9 instead of frame 11 and ends 4 frames earlier (though still very punishable if missed). KB to the move has been buffed to kill about 20% earlier.

Second notable buff is to dair. It's more disjointed now, both vertically and horizontally. As a result, you can dair spike easier and beat most up-airs, including Diddy's uair and Fox's uair (if they don't perfectly space it). In addition, it has 1 less frame of landing lag. Check out the difference (green Link is 1.05, red Link is 1.06)

Third, but kinda minor buff is that dash attack actually has a vertical hitbox now. Before you wouldn't hit anyone with the top part and now you can. You can actually hit people on platforms on Battlefield with dash attack.

Pretty good buffs actually, so I'm not even that mad anymore about jab 1 cancels being gone (although overall, he was nerfed).

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Its kind of like what they did with Greninja. Sure he was probably more viable spamming upsmash and water needles all day, but it was pretty brain dead. Be he got rebalanced nicely.

Xyro77

Xyro77

@ UltimateRazer UltimateRazer my friend sent me this. It's from episode 10 of DD

image.jpg

Does Banner show up? Does DD say anything about this? If not, I remember reading a MCU timeline where Hulk destroyed Harlem. It happened before Avengers. Is ep 10 a flash back ep? If not then DD is before Avengers! But then again, in ep 1 or 2 it alluded to "raining fire from the sky that destroyed New York 18 months ago" which is exactly when that ep would have been filmed after avengers hit theaters.

I'm confused. Help me? NO SPOILERS!

Suspect

Smash Hero
I was on the plane watching the first episode of daredevil and fell asleep. needless to say it did get the job done

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
They are also working on getting the script together for a 3rd season but nothing is a go yet.

I should have the show finished by next week.
Impossible on the season 3 rumor. They barely gave the green light to do season 2 today and changed creators lol.

Also WOW, I did not notice that. Pretty much zero reference to Avengers aside from the "incident" which we don't even know.

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
@ UltimateRazer UltimateRazer my friend sent me this. It's from episode 10 of DD

View attachment 48523

Does Banner show up? Does DD say anything about this? If not, I remember reading a MCU timeline where Hulk destroyed Harlem. It happened before Avengers. Is ep 10 a flash back ep? If not then DD is before Avengers! But then again, in ep 1 or 2 it alluded to "raining fire from the sky that destroyed New York 18 months ago" which is exactly when that ep would have been filmed after avengers hit theaters.

I'm confused. Help me? NO SPOILERS!
DD is set after avengers. Thats how Fisk is getting all the support for rebuilding the city because it was destroyed after the battle of new york

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Heads up to KJ/Gaius or anyone else planning to sleep here Friday, at this moment we currently have no hot water.

Our hot water heater exploded or something so anyone housing here will be taking cold showers.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm super relaxed on just about all rules here bar content-ish ones. Mortal Kombat's probably at least a 15+ age classification over there~
If they're not embedded then I'm especially extra lax.

Top Bottom