• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Avengers AOU reviews are out, Mixed to positive now. What say you papa lesbian
In general, movie reviewers are worse than game reviewers. The critics (especially the older more famous ones such as Roger Ebert), they crap on movies for the dumbest of reasons. I don't know if it's because John Wayne is dead and they can't accept that fact or maybe they don't understand that not every movie can be as slow and cheesy as Titanic....I just don't know. They fail to see the big picture in These Marvel movies and the connections each movie sets up and so they doc some points from the movie rating. Marvel movies are actually episodes. Each episode sets a seed for a future episode. It's all about planting for the future. The critics don't see that and it's hurts each movie's over all score.

So if the reviews are ranging from "ok" to "good" instead of "ok" to "bad" then the movie is much better than the reviews say. I've already stumbled upon decently sized spoilers in the one review I read and I hope it doesn't detract my interest in the movie.

From what I've seen in the no spoiler tweets/statuses/reviews, the movie is darker, more action packed and has a lot more heroes than avengers 1 did. Everyone praises James Spader for his Ultron voice. I think most people agree that this movie is better than Avengers 1, which is already the best Comic
Book movie ever made.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
In general, movie reviewers are worse than game reviewers. The critics (especially the older more famous ones such as Roger Ebert), they crap on movies for the dumbest of reasons. I don't know if it's because John Wayne is dead and they can't accept that fact or maybe they don't understand that not every movie can be as slow and cheesy as Titanic....I just don't know. They fail to see the big picture in These Marvel movies and the connections each movie sets up and so they doc some points from the movie rating. Marvel movies are actually episodes. Each episode sets a seed for a future episode. It's all about planting for the future. The critics don't see that and it's hurts each movie's over all score.

So if the reviews are ranging from "ok" to "good" instead of "ok" to "bad" then the movie is much better than the reviews say. I've already stumbled upon decently sized spoilers in the one review I read and I hope it doesn't detract my interest in the movie.

From what I've seen in the no spoiler tweets/statuses/reviews, the movie is darker, more action packed and has a lot more heroes than avengers 1 did. Everyone praises James Spader for his Ultron voice. I think most people agree that this movie is better than Avengers 1, which is already the best Comic
Book movie ever made.
I think the critics aren't giant nerds like you and don't let their love of comics cloud their judgements.

You nerd.

Xyro77

I think the critics aren't giant nerds like you and don't let their love of comics cloud their judgements.

You nerd.
I'm 99% sure critics have a bias against comic book movies.

With the exception of garbage like the Electra movie or green lantern, there is no reason for comic book movies to be ignored at the award shows. They produce some of the best CGI (avengers), action (avengers), tone (TDK series) drama (TDK series) in all of film. These movies set/break records (avengers) and literal change the future of how comic book movies are made/portrayed (TDK series).

I really feel like this bias is a cloud over the critic when he/she reviews the movie.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162

With the exception of garbage like the Electra movie or green lantern, there is no reason for comic book movies to be ignored at the award shows. They produce some of the best CGI (avengers), action (avengers), tone (TDK series) drama (TDK series) in all of film. These movies set/break records (avengers) and literal change the future of how comic book movies are made/portrayed (TDK series).

I really feel like this bias is a cloud over the critic when he/she reviews the movie.
Comic books movies are meant to be fun. They are not meant to be the pinnacle of movie making. Seriously, you really think a movie about superheroes beating up aliens could be considered over everything else that came out that year?

Come on now. Your comic book nerd bias is showing.

Last edited:

DEEK4Y

Smash Apprentice
They produce some of the best CGI (avengers), action (avengers), tone (TDK series) drama (TDK series) in all of film. These movies set/break records (avengers) and literal change the future of how comic book movies are made/portrayed (TDK series).

Did you forreal just put comic book movies on the same level as the greatest dramas in all of film? So avengers, or whatever, is better than or equal to:

Fight club
Godfather 1 & 2
Citizen Kane
Schindler's list
Goodfellas
Taxi Driver
Forest Gump

Last edited:

Xyro77

Did you forreal just put comic book movies on the same level as the greatest dramas in all of film? So avengers, or whatever, is better than or equal to:

Fight club
Godfather 1 & 2
Citizen Kane
Schindler's list
Goodfellas
Taxi Driver
Forest Gump

Those movies are from pre-2000. Award shows don't talk about them.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
But they are still brought up years later when compared to other movies.

Those comic book movies are hardly mentioned except when comparing OTHER comic book movies, or by silly nerds trying to justify how good they are compared to all other types of movies.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Comic book movies rarely ever have staying power in the long run.
I think the only one I can watch again and enjoy is Tim Burton's Batman.

Dark Knight Trilogy is meh.

:applejack:

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
What? You were talking about comic book movies getting snubbed at award shows. I told you why.

DEEK4Y

Smash Apprentice
Those movies are from pre-2000. Award shows don't talk about them.
Wait, what?!?!? I was responding to your comment about critics sleeping on comic book movies. You stated that there is obvious bias since you believe these movies to produce the best drama and etc. OF ALL FILM. You overstepped. Comic book movies cannot hang with anything I listed. Period.

Also, please spare me the delusional comic book fanboy dribble on why im wrong and how green latern is da bess of all tyme and im dumb for not realizing that.

Last edited:

Xyro77

I assumed you were smart enough to know that an Ironman, for example, should never be compared to a Gone With The Wind type legend. My mistake.

Lots of the older critics come from an age of ABC or XYZ or 123 and they are famous for not liking change. This means that lots of "new" "hip" "cool" things that use mostly CGI and a lighter script such as comic book movies auto get rated badly.

Times are changing. The attention span of the masses (in general) no longer can handle slow simmering storyline with thought provoking dialogue. Speed this, explosion that, sexual this, CGI that. These as well as Special effects are valued more than Practical effects and speech/story driven movies according to the masses. I feel the older critics are "stuck in the past" with retro goggles. There is a severe disconnect concerning their opinion and the people's dollar. It has nothing to do with "nerd" or anything. In fact, the MCU is NOT doing what the comics are so if I was to have a nerd rage it would be about THAT.

Last edited:

DEEK4Y

Smash Apprentice
I assumed you were smart enough to know that an Ironman, for example, should never be compared to a Gone With The Wind type legend. My mistake.

Lots of the older critics come from an age of ABC and they are famous for not liking change. This means that lots of "new" "hip" "cool" things that use mostly CGI and a lighter script such as comic book movies auto get rated badly.

Times are changing. The attention span of the masses (in general) no longer can handle slow simmering storyline a with thought provoking dialogue. Speed this, explosion that, sexual this, CGI that. Special effects are valued more than Practical effects by the masses. I feel the older critics are "stuck in the past" with retro goggles. There is a sever disconnect concerning their opinion and the people's dollar.
I assumed a 25+ year old would have enough common sense to not make ludicrous, over-generalized statements without obvious considerations. My mistake.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Got 'em. Looks like a sweeping generalization to me when you state ALL film.

Last edited:

Xyro77

I'm talking about all of comic book movies.

You gotta have at least a -47 IQ rating to be able to be on my level of thought and understanding. Clearly you have lower than the required amount So maybe you shouldn't joIn the convo.

I don't know what else to say. I've been talking about avengers, marvel, DC and smash for the past 10000000000 pages. The context in which I'm coming from is there. I don't see how you took one sentence and dreamed up something far off in left field but ignore the rest of the pages.

Ugh.....new gens

Last edited:

DEEK4Y

Smash Apprentice
I'm talking about all of comic book movies.

You gotta have at least a -47 IQ rating to be able to be on my level of thought and understanding. Clearly you have lower than the required amount So maybe you shouldn't joIn the convo.

I don't know what else to say. I've been talking about avengers, marvel, DC and smash for the past 10000000000 pages. The context in which I'm coming from is there. I don't see how you took one sentence and dreamed up something far off in left field but ignore the rest of the pages.

Ugh.....new gens
Are you, though? You've changed stances so many times in this discussion that I am having a hard time keeping up. First it was critics are bias, then it was how award show considerations are made, now you're only talking about comic book movies when you say "all of film." Sorry for not catching the SUPER obvious metaphor where "all of film" actually means only comic book movies.

Ugh.....old gens

Last edited:

Xyro77

I've not changed stances.

I feel they are biased
I feel they are sitting in the past judging the current movies with retro goggles.
I am talking about comic book movies.

DEEK4Y

Smash Apprentice
I've not changed stances.

I feel they are biased
I feel they are sitting in the past judging the current movies with retro goggles.
I am talking about comic book movies.
Yes, and you said comic book movies should be recognized by critics because they put out some of the "best drama of all film." Right? Saying you were only referring to only comic book movies in that statement makes no sense. If you remove "in all of film" and replace it with "in all of comic book movies", your sentence would look something like:

With the exception of garbage like the Electra movie or green lantern, there is no reason for comic book movies to be ignored at the award shows. [COMIC BOOK MOVIES] produce some of the best CGI (avengers), action (avengers), tone (TDK series) drama (TDK series) in all of COMIC BOOK MOVIES. These movies set/break records (avengers) and literal change the future of how comic book movies are made/portrayed (TDK series).
Regardless, I agree with you in that comic book movies deserve more recognition but not for all the reasons you listed.

Suspect

Smash Hero
so apparently this morning there was a HEAD found down the street behind a building with a note attached to it

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Did the note say comic book movies suck?

Top Bottom