• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Melee Thread

Diglob

Smash Cadet
Looks like it's Friday. >.>

Let's spread the word to those who don't check the boards. Gonna imagine that we're going to be playing in the University Underground (which closes at one in the morning) of the University Center at UH again (hinthint), so I want to ask Luciano (or anybody else who might know) about free parking places before eight. 'Cuz I'm probably not showing up before eight if I have to pay for parking. :awesome: If anybody else knows about free parking already, post and let the rest of us know.

Now let's try to get a number on how many full set-ups we're going to have. Rather than a set-up, I can bring a power bar if it looks like we'll need one. >.>

valgar2900

Smash Journeyman
ok kids tourney starts at 1:30 sat is plz show up on time cuz we have to be out by 8.

also i might need 3cubes/wii's. and if u can bring a setup let me know.

ps. for baka im sure ill be able to host a tourney next month.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
at valgar2900 yay thanks! ^_^ i'll be here from june 11 to july 3, so hopefully host sometime then.

hopefully people actually go to it, and hopefully i can find a ride....lol

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Address is the University Center at UH. Once you get into the building, you'll see like Chili's and some random other restaurants. Just go to the bottom floor and find the area labeled Underground Center? or something like that. Walk into the area and we should be playing there in plain sight.

Free parking after 8 PM for sure but other kids told me that it's at 7 PM. It closes down at 1 AM.

I can bring a set up if you have the TV for it.

Jake13

Smash Lord
Dude ppl are taking off rc and brinstar off the cp list wtf

I say houston starts using all the old cps. Or make our own list

Cmon guys we need gay stages !

:phone:

Sybawave

Smash Ace
I was actually about to say something about this lol I'm not even joking xD great minds think alike =P

I was thinking about this while in the shower, why don't we have our own rule sets in Texas? Or just Houston at least.

The main one that I was thinking about was Coaching.

Are we going to allow that at our tournaments or not?

baka4moé

Smash Champion
Grinin! do you know if you can host something again at your friend's house, where we did that makeshift tournament? that was ****. :)

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
I can try. It's completely dependent on whether or not Michael can/wants to do it. I'd love to though.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
oh please try! it was really chill and super fun! ^_^

if it means anything i can essentially run the tournament for you guys if you want, lol. im excited to play houston when i get back. :)

Jake13

Smash Lord
Yo tarzan! Do you have .tio for the tournament? And if we have time would you rather run low tier or draft crews?

Also, you should def bring back the old cp list

Diglob

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I think Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise should gooooo. >__>; They're fun...I guess...but they really do just seem like stages that should've been banned a long time ago. There are always casuals if we want to play on them. 8D

If we're going to make a goofy Houston-only ruleset, though, then I don't think coaching should be allowed. Then again, we have to define what coaching is first...

If there's an extra event at the tournament, I wanna do low tier over draft crews. :bee: Compared to the other low tiers, D.K. is bigger, faster, and stronger too. That's why he's the first member of the DK crew. D.K. Donkey Kong. :awesome:

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Apologize to everyone for being so late with the results thread. Had to airbrush a mural for a 10 year old and that took up all my time. Finally got some time now that its done so here it is --> http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=303747 The next test your skills 16 will be at a new venue and hobo will be there also. July 9 is going to be the day so once i have the info ill let everyone know. LETS GET HYPE!

Jake13

Smash Lord
The main one that I was thinking about was Coaching.

Are we going to allow that at our tournaments or not?
I forgot to post on this subject last night.

*****Coaching should be allowed*****

[rules]
- At the beginning of each set a player may choose one coach.

- If you do not request a coach before the first match has started, you may not have one mid set

- The coach can only correspond with the player in between each match in a set. NOT mid game

- The players do not have to stick with one coach for an entire tournament. They can have as many different coaches as they have matches, but only ONE coach per set.

- If more than one coach is used during the match, and can be proven to the TO, the multi-coached player will forfeit the match if the opposing player feels it was an unfair advantage.

- The coaches can say anything they want.
[/rules]

These would be my feelings or rules about coaching. If everyone wants to adopt this at the tournies, awesome. But these are just ideas of mine, if anyone wishes to contribute please do so we can make a fair list for all!

Also, I strongly believe in having a very open counterpick list. Some stages may have extreme advantages in bias to specific characters, but others are bias to all characters, making the advantage go to the player that knows the stage better.

I will also give you my preferred list of neutral/counterpick stages. I feel the same way about this list as the prior in that I would like to hear feedback from EVERYONE so we an make a unified list for H-Tizzown.

Neutrals:*

- Yoshi's Story
- Dreamland 64
- Final Destination
- Fountain of Dreams
- Battlefield
- Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks:

- Rainbow Cruise
- Poke Floats
- Brinstar
- Kongo Jungle 64

*The neutral stage striking will remain the same (1,2,1) and leave a remainder two stages to random between unless the players agree upon one of the two stages.

We all play Stadium in our neutrals during friendlies, since we all like it enough for that I see no reason for it not to be a neutral. If you don't like the new stage strike random approach, let's just move FoD to counterpick because no one likes it anyway.

Again this is all up for SUGGESTION and INPUT... even tho it's pretty bomb =P

also this is for Houstonians only. OoS and OoC need not apply

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Get PokeFloats out of there if we don't get Mute City back. Those were both equally as bad as the other. Plus, PF got banned long before MC ever did. There are way too many glitches and errors on that stage to make it even worth a spot on the counterpick stage list.

Corneria should be back.

What the **** with the coaching rules lol Why are they so specific? Shouldn't it just be whoever comes by can coach whoever they want? What happens when the coaches don't agree to coach them? Why can't we talk to them during the match? lol so many gay rules..although the I could see why the first few are there like picking them before the match and not getting one half way through. But no coaching mid-battle? That's just ****ing stupid as hell lol why is that not allowed? That kind of defeats the purpose of coaching..

1. What happens when the coaches are not available or refuse the player? It'd be unfair if I was in the middle of my set and TSC wanted me to coach him while Oscar was free while you were ready to go. I was just thinking that whoever walks by can just walk by and coach and leave whenever they please. I wasn't going to bring up this many rules about it lol

2. What if no one is available at the beginning of the set to coach him? Why can't he have one mid set? That rule is my opinion is kind of dumb but like I said, I know why it is there. Just think about changing that.

3. That totally destroys the purpose of having a coach. Dumbest rule ever lol no mid-battle coaching? I seriously hope that's a joke.

4. Why does the number of coaches matter? If anything, the more coaches they have the more confused they'll be in the end.

5. I was just planning on walking around and watching fights and helping out whomever so rules 4 and 5 kind of rain down on that too. But I understand them.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
also this is for Houstonians only. OoS and OoC need not apply
Thanks Jake your a homie :). I like the standard rule set as it is. I guess I could do without RC and Brinstar, but no one in cali really picks them since there's this unwritten rule that you're gay if you pick them lol.

Also I LOVE fountain, although not as much as before now that falcos and marths and sheiks are starting to like them too, esp against peach..

I'm probably biased, but I loathe stadium, and corneria's even worse..But it's all good since this stuff won't apply to me :)

ALSO D: WHY IS TYS THE WEEKEND AFTER I LEAVE IT'S ALWAYS LIKE THIS T_T. I'll be counting on Grinin and Tarzan.

Diglob

Smash Cadet
-___-;

Let's save the discussion for Friday. This'll be easier to do face-to-face. Speaking of Friday, let's talk about them set-up things. Gar's bringing one, and if Luciano goes, I'm assuming we're going to have his tiny little T.V. as well. Noc said he's likely going to go, but he might show up kinda late if he brings the other Kingwood peeps. I'll probably just end up tossing my power bar in the car for good measure...

P.S. Posted my shoutouts in the results thread.

P.S.S. Awesome: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350448055549&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

garrR

Smash Apprentice
-___-;

Let's save the discussion for Friday. This'll be easier to do face-to-face. Speaking of Friday, let's talk about them set-up things. Gar's bringing one, and if Luciano goes, I'm assuming we're going to have his tiny little T.V. as well. Noc said he's likely going to go, but he might show up kinda late if he brings the other Kingwood peeps. I'll probably just end up tossing my power bar in the car for good measure...

P.S. Posted my shoutouts in the results thread.

P.S.S. Awesome: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350448055549&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
how many setups will we have? 2?

Sybawave

Smash Ace
It depends on who all goes. If you and Noc both come that's automatically 2 set ups. Last time Luciano brought his little one and Jake and crew had their set up.

valgar2900

Smash Journeyman
jake what do u mean by tio?

about this coachin thing im allowin it, if a person want to coach someone thats one them. no1 is forcin them to do it. and the coachin mid-match yes....................... u guessed it im allowin that 2.

now for the stages.

Neutrals:*

- Yoshi's Story
- Dreamland 64
- Final Destination
- Fountain of Dreams
- Battlefield
- Pokemon Stadium
Counterpicks:

- Rainbow Cruise
- Brinstar
- Kongo Jungle 64

von is right about floats. i would like corneria to be back, but i dont want to sound biased so i will let yall vote on it.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
I <3 you, Tarzan. Mid match coaching is ****ing ftw.

Jake brought up an argument about Corneria being too broken against the lower tiers since the higher tiers can easily camp the edge. Marth fin ledge stalling, Fox just being broken with lasers, Falco same thing with that wall there, Falcon can easily **** someone with that wall. I want it back though. It's just that Low tiers would have a lot of trouble with it or slower characters in general.

Corneria
Mute City
Jungle Japes
Poke Floats
Mushroom Kingdom 2
Green Greens
Dk64
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

should be all possible candidates for counterpicks on singles. I mean most of them won't make it through. The remaining stages are just too unfair unless y'all want to bring up another stage. We should vote on those or we'll just default to the list the TO has set up for us.

valgar2900

Smash Journeyman
i dont care about ppl gettin cp to corneria learn how to fight on it or pick some1 else!!!!!!!

Corneria
Rainbow Cruise
Dk64
Brinstar

all possible candidates for counterpicks on singles

Sybawave

Smash Ace
All right then lol we vote on the stages that Tarzan has for us.

Why do you have to wait until Friday to play? Jake and I are playing smash tonight lol

Sybawave

Smash Ace
He's playing somewhere and I'm playing at Mouf's place to shake the dust off him so I can steal his money on Saturday in a Money Match. If you can drive down to my house though, I'll drive you to his place.

Jake13

Smash Lord
Yo guys I can bring a setup but no tv

Anyone have a recording setup?

Also, show of hands for who's going and who's not going to the gtown tourney!
(Also who's driving/who you're driving.)

I'm driving me, oscar and prolly mike. Kevin, you can tag along too

Jake13

Smash Lord
Awesome, so we have at least nine ppl (including tarzan) that are going, now with some galvy randoms we might be able to run a sixteen man bracket lol

GlibbiiGlobbii, its up to you. I'm planning on being home around 1 maybe earlier just fyizzle

Top Bottom