• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Melee Thread (Go to the Other One!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
Ill make a deal with u wimps.

If i hold melee at my events? would you all go?I would be honored to have Bebobli run that part of the tournament. Think, if it has the HOBO name on it, people from all across the US will go(cause i draw in over 100 people at my tournies). And it will be a 2 day event so you arnt rushed.

think about it
Suck my D#&k.

Gabe perhaps... at your house?
Gabe perhaps... at your house?

Guts-Rage

Smash Cadet
Uhhhh...... I'm confused. Never mind that, Aaron do you know when the next tourney will be held?
Or are we gonna play at PZ? I need answers!!!!

I'm just kinda pissed that, I ordered Tenchu Z (Stealth ninja game for 360) from Ebay and it still hasn't come. Its already been two weeks,and I know flat rate is slow, but TWO Weeks!! Flat rate takes around 5-7 days. I just gotta wait a bit more to see if it comes or not. I will then take Legal action and bust the seller. Hahahahahaha

I guess you guys heard my part of the story. :) So what up, guys? My bro won't take me too far, he said it shouldn't be more than a hour drive. Dammit, if only I lived closer. He can take me to PZ though, I guess.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Aaron's house isn't more than an hour away...trust me lol I think Mouf and I live the farthest away.

Seriously though...we need to get another tournament going somewhere...or just a smashfest. I need to **** Jeremy again XD

Xbox 360 is homo btw

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
its not a trap. im trying to save the huge population of melee(12 players.....lol) from becoming extinct.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Your not banned from NM anymore.

G@BE

Smash Lord
I need some practice really bad. I never get to play anyone GOOD! -=stares at alex=-

@Ronnie and Jeremy
yea it would be at my house... or if you guys are LAZY... i could drive to you guys ^_^_^

Sybawave

Smash Ace
XD NO don't drive them drive me! And we have more than 12 players...I think...

Timerbomb
Bacon
Baka4moe
Me
JF
Guts-Rage
Dawn
Ronnie
Josh
James
(crap running out of names here >_<)
Tarzan
Sethlon
Revised
(sum1 help pl0x)

But HA! That's 13 XD

BeBoBli

Smash Cadet
TGM that's a no. Hosting it yourself is your own decision, however you rejected Melee as something of the past before Brawl even came out making the assumption that because it were older there would be no doubt it would be less of a game. Topping all of this you made it a popularity contest. You didn't hold a very desirable reputation before Brawl came out making Houston look terribly unfriendly. Then abandoned it without even giving Brawl a thorough play to see how balanced it exactly was. I'm not saying it isn't balanced (even if that is how I feel after having played it enough), but shunning the game for a newer one instead of leaving your options open isn't the best idea. I'm just not sure I'd want to associate myself with someone who acts so childish.

So, in conclusion, **** off.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
...I think we should vote on this one. Anyone else agree?

And do you know where I live? All the way down by Mouf lol actually I'm roughly 20 minutes closer but still XD that's about 1.5-2hr drive

baka4moé

Smash Champion
playing brawl is hard.

i thought that bebo was already thinking of hosting his own tourney at pz himself. is that still going to happen whenever?

baka4moé

Smash Champion
well i like(love) melee, but i've lately started to think of brawl as ok (gasp!), but then again, i only play brawl with my friends...

BeBoBli

Smash Cadet
Brawl is okay. It's more than okay. It's phenomenal. Just not competitively. If it were more balanced character, speed and hitbox wise that would be great. If it rewarded fast thinking and smart menuevers that would be even better. Also it would have been pretty good if it involved more ledge game.

It's pretty lame the most that the Melee community complains about are technicals which did add a little more but I never found it to be the shining problem.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Well it does have more mindgames

Baka needs some new friends...

Halo sucks XD Halo and SSBM aren't anything alike lol if anything it should be MvC2

Anyone want to play tomorrow? Smashfest anyone? I can't make it to Magnolia unless someone wants to drive me there and back, but I might be able to go somewhere closer

BeBoBli

Smash Cadet
I work all tomorrow sadly. I'm off Saturday, but it's short notice and I still haven't gotten with PZ.

G@BE

Smash Lord
aaron

you should probably suck up your pride you and all of us who took the thrashing from allan when he decided he did not want to do melee tournaments. Hobo has been a highlight in bringing people in to houston to play smash in general im pretty sure he could do the same for melee.

If you don't help him out i will... for the sake of the melee community

Velox

Smash Ace
Well it does have more mindgames
Does it really? Because I don't think so. Are you comparing two infinites? I do agree that there could be varying degrees of infinite though. Perhaps you should quantify the number of mindgames in both and apply some formal set theory.

sybawave said:
Halo sucks XD Halo and SSBM aren't anything alike lol if anything it should be MvC2
Psshhh, Halo's amazing. On a serious aside though, I consider them similar because they both have amazing gameplay. And they're both games.

I don't play other fighting games though, I only liked melee. I like mainstream games. I only play melee now because it's special.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
In SSBM, if you have a lot of technical skill and 0 mindgames then that can take you pretty far (e.g. Bombsoldier). SSBB is like 0 tech skill

SSBB with those things is a dumb idea. If they're going to use SSBM physics they need to put in ALL the things from SSBM like the hitstun on attacks or time you get to input DI's. Putting L-canceling and WD'ing back in the game is pointless without everything else.

I agree with Revised. TGM has a big influence on Smash in the Houston area. I was at Clueless's house a couple of weeks ago and I was playing SSBM so TGM had at me with the "Barlw > SSBM" speech.

So no one wants to play with me?

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Sooo, you're saying that unless they make it exactly like melee, theres no point in brawl+?
Thats silly. We're not trying to make it back into melee. You'll notice that S-cancelling is very different from L-cancelling. We're just trying to make it more fun/balanced.
And DI works the same in brawl normally as it does in melee <.< and they actually have a hitstun hack out.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
I know DI is the same but the time you get to input it is greater in Brawl.

What's S-canceling?

GOOD NEWS!!! TGM just told me that HOBO 13 will have SSBM (w00t!)

And on another note, there might be a tournament around the Beaumont area, around SouthEast TX close to the border of Louisiana

BeBoBli

Smash Cadet
aaron

you should probably suck up your pride you and all of us who took the thrashing from allan when he decided he did not want to do melee tournaments. Hobo has been a highlight in bringing people in to houston to play smash in general im pretty sure he could do the same for melee.

Him hosting a tournament will probably have little effect on helping or hurting the community. Given his track record I'd say it'd hurt it. I'd rather spend my time hosting a tournament that has a focus on Melee. The games are too different.

And I obviously wouldn't be making such a brash decision if I thought it would be bad for the community. That's my opinion though, and I have no problem with you helping host alongside Allan. If you need any advice I'll even help you because you still have the same goal just with an approach I respectfully disagree with.

I'll willingly try tricked out Brawl. I'm admitting a lean towards the negative however because it still has all the more infinites (in fact I can't think of any that wouldn't work still). Also it may have just been the video Sethl0n showed, but all that shielding and rolling around was boring me to tears.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Having SSBM at HOBO 13 definitely isn't going to hurt it. There are already like 10 people who are going to go to that lol plus there will probably be more scrubs just to make a bigger jackpot ^_^

His track record isn't bad...he did a lot for SSBM. How is a SSBM/SSBB tournament that much more different than the old MLG tournaments with Halo/SSBM? THOSE are too different. What's having another game really going to do to the SSBM side of the tournament?

BeBoBli

Smash Cadet
Having SSBM at HOBO 13 definitely isn't going to hurt it. There are already like 10 people who are going to go to that lol plus there will probably be more scrubs just to make a bigger jackpot ^_^

His track record isn't bad...he did a lot for SSBM. How is a SSBM/SSBB tournament that much more different than the old MLG tournaments with Halo/SSBM? THOSE are too different. What's having another game really going to do to the SSBM side of the tournament?
I got the impression MLG didn't make SSBM a 'side game' to Halo whereas that's what's going on here, correct? Bigger problem is time constraint. I doubt I'd be able to get through more than Singles and that may even be thinned.

Xyro77

TGM that's a no. Hosting it yourself is your own decision, however you rejected Melee as something of the past before Brawl even came out making the assumption that because it were older there would be no doubt it would be less of a game. Topping all of this you made it a popularity contest. You didn't hold a very desirable reputation before Brawl came out making Houston look terribly unfriendly. Then abandoned it without even giving Brawl a thorough play to see how balanced it exactly was. I'm not saying it isn't balanced (even if that is how I feel after having played it enough), but shunning the game for a newer one instead of leaving your options open isn't the best idea. I'm just not sure I'd want to associate myself with someone who acts so childish.

So, in conclusion, **** off.
all of this is your opinion. and about 98% of the people disagree with it. So yea, have a nice day.

aaron

lol theres a reaosn why hes gets super low turn outs for melee.

Him hosting a tournament will probably have little effect on helping or hurting the community. Given his track record I'd say it'd hurt it. I'd rather spend my time hosting a tournament that has a focus on Melee. The games are too different.

And I obviously wouldn't be making such a brash decision if I thought it would be bad for the community. That's my opinion though, and I have no problem with you helping host alongside Allan. If you need any advice I'll even help you because you still have the same goal just with an approach I respectfully disagree with.

I'll willingly try tricked out Brawl. I'm admitting a lean towards the negative however because it still has all the more infinites (in fact I can't think of any that wouldn't work still). Also it may have just been the video Sethl0n showed, but all that shielding and rolling around was boring me to tears.
the fact is this.

If i mention melee and HOBO in same sentence, i will get massive massive massive amounts of melee and brawl players. Im known for my tournaments.....in melee(which were sucessfull. face it) and in brawl(118+ people at hobo10).

People listen to me and do what i recommend because they agree with me and they know im not out to mess with them. if not, then why isnt melee winning?

trust me. after this discussion there WILL NOT be melee at any hobo. Some people just can accept change and wanna hold on to the old and out-dated ways.

Stark

Smash Rookie
Well, TGM has decided. There isn't much of a point in trying to convince him and start a debate about it. I'm sure we'll find a way somehow.

-SFu

Xyro77

Ill be honest, i havnt tpuched melee but maybe 3 times since brawl came out and i nearly beat u. all i would need is a few days and ill be back to my old self. but alas, your tricks wont work on me my boy. i see where this is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom