• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official *hop* "Save your game?" - Lucas Results Thread

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
Luco Luco , any chance you could update the "Results"? It's a bit behind, and if left alone it could take just as long to update.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
Yeah I'll do that tonight. :)
Don't mean to hassle you, but it seems the tournament results haven't been updated yet. If you are busy that's fine. Just attempt to update it ASAP if you could. Hope you have a fantastic day! :b:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Sorry, I'll do them now.

First of all, I have a couple results to post myself!

9th out of 40 / Smashing Good Time S2 E7 / 13-03-16 / UTS, Sydney
2nd out of 48 / Smashing Good Time S2 E9 / 17-04-16 / UTS, Sydney

The first one I was so embarrassed by that I didn't post it here... Which is lame because it's still a highly respectable result, I was just shocked by it and it goes down as my worst S4 result to date. Lost to two good players (Our #2 ranked Luigi player and our #5 ranked Ryu / Falcon player) but wasn't expecting to face such difficulty and left in a state of despair thinking I was a sham. :p

Anyway came back this tournament and somehow blasted my way through into GFs but lost to a bracket reset. The matches were close especially in the first GF set, tbh it could have been anyone's game, I know I missed a Bthrow at the ledge kill by mis-inputting Dthrow instead and meanwhile my opponent lost his Dthrow followups a few times at crucial percents. So in all I'm actually really happy and satisfied, this tournament was pretty insane but pretty fun and I feel like I've found my confidence again. Which is good because I'm gonna need it in a month for our national (+5 internationals :p)!

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
17th / 24 (24? 48??? idk which one to use) | SGT S2E9 | you know the rest
first tourney 100%:4lucas:
kinda disappointed but at least I made it out of pools. Will have to get my GCC checked out because I know the L button cost me a lot >_>

Last edited:

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
(2v2) 5th out of 16/LRA Smash 1/23-4-2016/Aalsmeer, The Netherlands
5th out of 46/LRA Smash 1/23-4-2016/Aalsmeer, The Netherlands

I'm happy with this result. Lost to 2nd and 3rd place and IMO I needed a miracle to beat them. I am happy that I'm getting better at this game. Also, :4bayonetta2: <- F-this piece of dung.

Bau

Smash Rookie
5th out of 47 / Smash Club / 4/19/2016 / St. Paul MN

This was an interesting tournament for me. I was playing very well and made it into top 8 for the first time. However, the PR players were all trying out secondaries so I feel like it lessens the importance of it.

Regardless, I did take out a top 5 PR player (currently we are changing to a new season so I'm not sure where people will end up) and lost some very close games and sets. All of my matches were on stream as well so I can go back and check for mistakes, which is nice.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
(2v2) 9th out of 30/Good Games, Well Played 7/ 4-30-2016
33th out of 89/Good Games, Well Played 7/ 4-30-2016

I'm not happy.
I'm sorry buddy. It happens to us all yeah. Bad bracket luck or wasn't feeling right on the day?

Also while I'm here I meant to post some results from yesterday:

2nd out of 34 / York Street Battles #41 / 30-4-16 / York Street, Sydney, Australia

Any other characters used? :4ness:

I felt good about this one, because the player that came first is the guy I always lose to, except this time I feel like I figured out how to play against Luigi and beat him game 2 in GFs to force a switch from him to Charizard, where the games were still close but he edged me out. I feel like I'm improving and am just getting better again which is awesome.

In terms of who I faced, I went against a Link, then a Villager, ZSS (#3 PR), lost to above Luigi main (#2 PR), then versed MK (HM on PR), then Bayo (#8 PR), then Ryu (#5 PR) and then lost again to Luigi / Charizard #2 PR

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry buddy. It happens to us all yeah. Bad bracket luck or wasn't feeling right on the day?
I had to play the second best sheik in the country WR3 (After Mr.R) and he 2-0'd me with both games ending on a last hit.
Then I got so salty that I completely forgot how to play and lost straight after.
I thought I was going to lose against him anyway but getting so close when you don't expect it and then not winning is just cruel.
I've been playing competitive video games for over 10 years and this is the 2nd worst salt I've ever had in my life. (1st being losing the WCG qualifers final)
I think I'm going to take a small break playing Smash and then come back swinging.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
5th out of 20 / Ganon's Boss Battles 5 / Lidcombe, Sydney
100% :4lucas:
challonge/QLDsmash:
:4link:
:4tlink:
not sure if this counts, because although it met all the other criteria, the pot was not split, or so I heard.
pretty happy with my performance. I got a nice Dthrow > Footstool > Dair > Usmash kill at 70% (on somebody in PR).

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
7th out of 19 / Ganon's Boss Battles 6 / Lidcombe, Sydney
all :4lucas:
challonge: :4link:
stream: :4tlink: (43 min 30 sec :D)

unfortunately had to forfeit LR4 cause had to go home.
oh well. it was fun.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
MrWhYYZ MrWhYYZ I heard your name get dropped over in the Ness and Lucas Discords. Just thought I'd let you know it was awesome to hear you're considered a threat to a whole bunch of people. <3

Oh, I need to update the thread. And I also have to add this thing:

49th out of 260 / Battle Arena Melbourne 8 / 13->15-5-16 / Melbourne, Australia

Well dang. It's a good result for sure, but I was slated to get top 16 and not doing so was actually :/ . I started off dominating in pools until I ran into Wiiman, one of ACTs PR-ed Zeldas. He's Waveguider's training partner and can pop-off, but inconsistent and uses Zelda so I was highly expected to win. I went Ness in this set. Game 1 was fantastic, a 2-stock I believe. Game 2 was close, and game 3 was also close but I was rattled at this point and he was just making better reads and punishing my approaches. I lost and from there on in I played the rest of pools so far on tilt I was visibly silent and didn't say much - I say visibly because my pool was on the side stream and the rest of my pool matches were streamed by Jettsmash. I 2-0'd my next opponents (although games were sometimes really close) and clawed my way out of pools. I was in top 64 but I was already shaken.

The next day I had to face a Mac main round 1, except... He never showed, so I went to Round 2 to face Luminescent, #4 on the Qld PR and Australia's #2 WFT behind Waveguider. I used Lucas when I shouldn't have, he secondaries Lucas and said later he knows that MU, so tbh I should have gone Ness, but all 3 games were close. Ultimately that's where I bowed out, although thankfully I got over most of my nerves by that point and what killed me was MU inexperience.

Everyone that I versed were really cool people though, so props to them and they played really, really well and ultimately deserved their wins. I was only saddened by my nerves, inexperience and I guess to some extent the reputation - by this point I had one, and even players I hadn't met before BAM like Jaice and Ghost were like "Dude I heard about what happened!" Everyone blew me up to be the threat I know I have the potential to be, I just didn't perform to standard this time.

So there you have it. Our next major is OzHadou in August and we're trying to get literally as many top Aussies over as possible so by then I want to have dealt with nerves somewhat and inexperience. I want to go into the next major with no regrets, and with Mr R, Aba, 9B and Umeki not around this time I'll be looking for top 8.

The journey is only just beginning huh?

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
MrWhYYZ MrWhYYZ I heard your name get dropped over in the Ness and Lucas Discords. Just thought I'd let you know it was awesome to hear you're considered a threat to a whole bunch of people. <3
Now all I need is get better results and less salt when I lose and I'm all good. :)

Kodystri Kodystri Mekos Mekos
You guys had gone to paradigm right? Give us intel so it can be added to the OP.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
For the OP
Xanos
5th out of 195/ Paradigm Shift/21 and 22-5-2016/North Carolina

Mekos
7th out of 195/ Paradigm Shift/21 and 22-5-2016/North Carolina

Honestly guys, those are really good results!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Alsoooo

3rd out of 32 / York Street Battles #42 / 28-5-16 / Sydney, Australia

Vods? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjKGZfFPx9s

I had a lot of fun this tournament, and I wasn't able to finish due to an impending work meeting so I had to forfeit before I could play loser's finals.

Enn was playing super on point the entire day. He's currently ranked HMs on our PR but could very well rise to 10th after yesterday. I wasn't expecting him to be so potent and started out losing game 1. Unfortunately his recoveries were a bit too linear and Lucas punished that hard, as you can see by the end of game 1 and beyond. It was still a fantastic set and I'm excited to see where Enn goes as time moves on.

So yeah, pretty happy with that, that placing has likely solidifed my rise on the PR and it was really fun to get there.

I'll try and update the thread sometime tonight if I can with all the new results. ^_^

Last edited:

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
7th of 23 / Capital Smash 14 / 29-5-16 / Canberra, Australia

First time making it out of pools; very nearly didn't, thanks to a Ness player doing Ness stuff. Also first time taking a game off Waveguider in tournament (and at all, I want to say, though he insists I've beaten him before in friendlies). Felt at the top of my game in general; also got something like 30 spikes on people throughout the day, especially in doubles. Really fun day.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh wow so I deleted the post I was meant to put in the Ness boards and accidentally left it here. Oh well :p

That's awesome work Frozen, Wave is ridiculous so be proud friend. :D

EDIT: Fixed it all up. I'll do OP tomorrow morning. <3

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Luco, please tell me you woke up at 5 am.
I work between 5 and 10PM most weekdays and usually get home at midnight. So I guess uhh, you wouldn't like the answer... :p

I decided to include Ganon's Boss Battles as a secondary entry, if you can confirm that the pot was split I'll chuck it in with the other primary entries.

To explain seeing as I made these terms up now, Primary entries would stand as singles entries that meet all the criteria, the most commonly cited results and perfect for data-related activity like graphs, tables, charts etc. Secondary entries would include doubles, amateurs, or otherwise results that fit almost all criteria needed and there is no reason why they couldn't be taken as seriously as other primary entries.

I've updated the thread generally, made some minor edits, although one semi-notable thing I've changed is the date system:

Previously, I formatted dates in this way:

/ 3-9-2016 /

(an example)

I've changed it so they look like this:

/ Mar 9, 2016 /

(example from before reformatted)

Which also makes it easier to do data stuff using date. If you can, when you post here try using the latter system. If you can't though, it's not a big deal, I'll change it when I edit it into the OP. :)

I'm also ordering results by date now instead of when they were posted here.

Also if anyone wants to post results for other people using the format, they're welcome to as long as they can either provide a link or otherwise include proof. Or, as in the case of Xanos and Mekos, I already know about the event. This means if you're interested in finding the result of our big players who don't otherwise post here, now you can get them into the OP and I'll give you a big thumbs up! :grin:

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
oops, probably should include the dates for GBB 5 and 6 are the 20th and 27th of May, respectively.

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
Well dang. It's a good result for sure, but I was slated to get top 16 and not doing so was actually :/ . I started off dominating in pools until I ran into Wiiman, one of ACTs PR-ed Zeldas. He's Waveguider's training partner and can pop-off, but inconsistent and uses Zelda so I was highly expected to win. I went Ness in this set. Game 1 was fantastic, a 2-stock I believe. Game 2 was close, and game 3 was also close but I was rattled at this point and he was just making better reads and punishing my approaches.
Missed this initially; that set seems like it was stacked against you from the beginning. While Wiiman does play Zelda, he was a Ness player when he was actually power-ranked, so he would be pretty familiar with that matchup, even though nobody plays Ness in ACT anymore. And since I play against him every week or two, he's also got plenty of recent Lucas experience. I've been winning against him recently, but he's a sleeper.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
9th out of 29 / Magic City Smash 3 / June 5, 2016 / Birmingham, Alabama, United States

http://smashboards.com/rankings/mcs-3-smash-4-singles.13756/event

It's been a while since I've been to a tournament. (Apart from Momocon, but not only did I do poorly but I can't find any results) I did decently well at this one. I'd describe it as a small tournament with big players, since many notable players in my state were there. But without further ado, let's get to the matches!

John Matheson - Cloud
Can't really say much about this guy. He was a bored Melee player who signed up for Smash 4. He had decent fundamentals compared to casuals, but he continually used smash attacks which I could easily punish. He also had a noticeably hard time with Lucas projectiles. Won the set 2-0.

Juke Box Hero - Ryu

A pretty sizeable player who is an honorable mention on the PR. He's sort of an upcoming player and has been to several tournaments in the past. He wasn't too familiar with the Lucas matchup but still prevailed. Got caught in the d-tilt/up-tilt to True Shoryu many times which took stocks from me early. Later in the first match I began to adapt and space more often eventually getting a back-throw kill. It was too late however because I was at high percent. True Shoryu finished the game. Game 2 I played more defensively and got the first stock but the lead didn't last too long; another True Shoryu. We were both at pretty high percents keeping our distance. I overcommitted a bit to a f-air and he got medium d-tilt to up-air and killed. Lost 0-2. Great overall set since the games were close and he's a really nice guy overall. Just gotta practice the matchup more.

Stew - Roy
Another Melee player who entered Smash 4 for fun. He had a bit more grasp on his character though as he used n-air to approach and got good punishes with f-smash. I think I lost a stock both games but retaliated with kills not long after the death. Pretty decent 2-0 victory.

Leaf - Pikachu
Evidently a good Pikachu main, though I had never heard of him before the tournament. Game 1 he accidently SD'd but started to bring it back. Really tried to throw me off with up-b crossups. I took the win, but almost soley because of that SD. He began to play really well his second stock. Game 2 I was hugely dominate as I got several bread n' butter combos on him that racked up the damage. I pretty much went from there and took both his stocks quickly with up-throw. I believe we were on Smashville Game 2. Not too bad a player but I think he began to fall apart due to the SD. 2-0 victory.

PS I Mikamora - Mario

I'd seen this guy play at many of my past tournaments but never faced him myself. Turns out he's a formidable foe. Not only is Mario a semi-bad matchup for Lucas, but he played exactly how he should have: playing away patiently and waiting until I committed to something, then punish accordingly. This made fighting him a huge pain as the only decent approach option I had was z-air. Even then he would usually catch me in the air with grab and then combo into up-airs. He also used b-air to pressure and wall which became tedious to deal with. He won Game 1 due to some well placed up-smashes, but we were both last stock high percent so it was close. Game 2 was about the same story except that I got first blood and gained a lead before losing my first stock. Eventually baited him into a back-throw at the ledge and won. Game 3 was the same. I got overzealous though last stock and tried to cross-him up with n-air while we were both at high percent. Up-smash put me in my place and took the set, losing 2-1. Personally I could go without playing him again, but if I have too I'll know what to do next time.

The tournament was very well run. It had complimentary drinks and had access to snack machines and close restrooms. The time of the tournament was also very appealing as it didn't require me to stay till midnight. I may make it a priority to go to since it's a bi-weekly, is within reasonable driving distance, and has good players that I can play practice against. Overall great tournament!

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Might have been a smaller pool of players but single digit results are exciting anyway. Seems like you're improving, good work Brawler!

Added to the OP. :)

Last edited:

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
Might have been a smaller pool of players but single digit results are exciting anyway. Seems like you're improving, good work Brawler!

Added to the OP. :)
I appreciate the kind words! I had a couple of people who actually recognized me by my Lucas in the venue and we made some small talk. It was pretty neat considering I've been working hard to try and become a better player in my region. Right now I'm focusing on learning some of my poor matchups in order to give myself an extra advantage. I'm also working on player notes too. My hope is to be on the PR or the Honorable Mentions by the next time they update it. And the only way to get that done is by working, and I don't plan on slouching. I hope things are going well for you too Luco! :b:

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
9th out of 23 / Magic City Smash 4 / June 19, 2016 / Birmingham, Alabama, United States

http://smashboards.com/rankings/mcs-4-smash-4-singles.13956/event

Kinda late because the tournament results took forever to get uploaded. Looks like I can't find a way to weasel myself into top 8. Though considering this is a smaller scale tournament than most it should be easy, so right now the only problem is myself. Gotta grind harder it seems.

Jonny 30 - ZSS/Boswer
For the most part a decent player, but he claimed to have trouble settling on a main. Both matches were a clean 2-0 and was mostly due to misinputs that resulted is SD's during our sets. It was a bit unfortunate to watch but I won like I had already expected to.

Doc Pickle - Mario
This guy is a VERY noteable Mario main in AL. When I heard I was facing him I was a little uncertain as Mario vs Lucas is bad but the guy himself is a great player for sure. Though I managed to win. I couldn't really put my finger on why I won, but it seems that it was likely cause of unfamiliarity with the matchup or he just wasn't feeling it that day. He was doing a lot of things right like spacing out Lucas hard, baiting for grabs, using FLUDD to try and ruin my recovery, etc. Maybe I was just on point during that match and I had a download on what he wanted to do. Match ended in a 2-0 as well which made me feel pretty accomplished.

JukeBoxHero - Ryu

Can't seem to escape this guy in bracket now can I? Joking aside, I did better against him this time than last. Every game was a really close one, and the set ended 2-1 in JukeBox's favor. He still had problems with multihit moves like last time due to them being able to go through focus attack. My main issue was trying to space away with PK Fire and zair without getting punished. I say this because most times he opted to jump over the projectiles and pressure me with fair, which does a decent amount of shieldstun. Of course I took a True Shoryu. or two during the matches but I was more slippery than usual. Overall great set but wasn't able to pull it out in the end.

PS I Herman - Link/Marth

This was I guy I'd never heard of before, even while being a team member of PS. I watched him play his matches before ours and took some notes. He was playing Marth against the opponent, but when it came time to fight me he chose Link every time. And to be honest, he was your average Link player. Bomb, boomerang, arrows, zair - huge game of spacing and punishing. I had faced a Link before but it didn't give me much matchup experience to fall back on. And every game was essentially the same. The only thing that kept throwing me off was Link's grab. I must've expected for it to have less range because I kept getting grabbed when I didn't expect to. Also learned that zair doesn't beat bombs, though looking back on it that should've made sense. Game 1 I won due to some jank, Game 2 he won due to some ridiculous platform play, and Game 3 was a very close match. But he won, 2-1. I can't really say much about it other than I got janked. You know when you get pushed off a platform by wind and you'll actually continue to stand? Well that happened to me off of the dog of Duck Hunt and it perfectly placed me to eat an up-smash. A really unfortunate moment. I've got his number next time though.

I liked the tournament but it was a bit unfortunate that I had to wait so long to play my third round of winner's against Jukebox because they were still playing doubles, which I'd say ruined my momentum. Either way still run fairly well and complimentary drinks were generous additions. I have a very recent tournament result that I'll post about as soon as it gets updated to Smashboards. I'm probably going to be taking a short break after all these tournaments and come back mid-July.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I really wanted to wait until the results page came up for itself, but it's taking some time so I'll just have to post the result here and link the results page and matches when they come out.

1st out of 30 / York Street Battles #43 / June 25, 2016 / Sydney, Australia

Other characters used? :4ness:

https://qldsmash.com/Results/NSW?t=York Street Battles June 2016

Very proud of this one, but it's also a little weird because this was the "expected" outcome. Our #1 and #2 PR members weren't there so I was 1st seed, but aside from pools and WFs, all of my sets were 2-1's or 3-2's, often quite close too. It was a terrifying run but we got there in the end fam, so it's all good. I feel like I'm steadily improving and I want to keep pushing myself so that I'm not just a state-threat, I'm also a national one.

Oh, also!

(2v2) 2nd out of 9 (maybe 10, will check) / York Street Battles #43 / June 25, 2016 / Sydney, Australia

Finally a good dubs result! I even did a 2v1 where I was on 1 stock and the opponents had 3 between them and I won it out in the end. Very happy and surprised :D

Feelin' good fam. <3

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
(Completed as of 7/21/16 8:22 AM CST)

This is a month old but I finally got around to posting this thanks to the Lucas discord reminder!

Date: 6/19/16
Tournament: Smash Fight Club (SFC), Weekly Tourney
Brackets: (copy and paste in url) Smashunited.challonge.com/SFC49 Smash Pit Bracket: Smashunited.challonge.com/SFC49Pit
DISCLAIMER: Our tournament had a redemption bracket called the "Smash Pit" for those that go 0-2 in winner's and lose round 1/2 of the loser's bracket. So my placing may not be eligible.
Placing: 2nd in Smash Pit (a.k.a Redemption Bracket)

This was my first time attending a local tournament with special thanks to my friend Juan for driving me and we had a blast! Off to the games!

For my first match I fought against "SS I JustAlex", a Donkey Kong main. The first stage was either smashville or town and city (my bad), since this was my first local weekly I decided to go in with the mindset of using b-reversed pk fires to space and zair to play as safe as possible and go for grabs when the opportunity arises... boy did that work out for me. This Donkey Kong player really pushed me around. You see I was unfamiliar with the matchup and was under the assumption that this would be an easy match since the Donkey Kongs I faced in an online tourney a while back and some For Glory (pukes inside) did not give me any trouble. I remember starting the match off with some zairs and spaced pk fire's. The Donkey Kong player proceeded to shield them and around that time i was getting myself almost a full screen distance vs him (sounds really campy). He soons approaches me with dash attacks that I try to challenge with more pk fire's and I fail at that due to startup frames. I had a bad running habit into shield that he exploited by grabbing me, throwing me up and using a mix of up tilts, and down b at low percent and up air at mid to high percents. Since my spacing strategy did not work and I was far behind in percent, I decided to approach the Donkey Kong once I got him off me with fairs. THIS GUY, this guy right here stuffed all of my aerial fair approaches, regardless of short hop or not with bairs. He literally set up a wall of ascending and descending bairs that seemed impenetrable for me to pass. If I recall correctly, it even beat out my zair. He would then close the distance on me when I would be grounded and dance around me and my shield with well spaced bairs. That move is so fast and I know now that I need to work on a way to beat it or get around it. Anyway I lost the first match. So for the 2nd match I thought of switching to my other main of Shulk but after my poor performance at TGC 6 of playing Shulk round 1, and then switching to Lucas after I lost the first game, I decided to stick with Lucas because I was determined to not give up on the matchup and focused on learning as much as I could. After my thoughts were together, I counter-picked to Duck Hunt because I wanted a open space where it would be much easier for me to land my bread and butter down throw footstool to jab lock combo which is the the basis of my lucas when I'm not spacing and playing aggressive. To my dismay I rarely got the chance to do it, his Donkey Kong was too mobile for me. This game was basically a run-back of the first game except for two differences: 1. First stock I died to a down b shield break from full shield health. 2. Second stock I died to an unsuspecting b-reverse max charge Giant Punch that was performed while he was running off of the left side of the bush on the right side of the stage. I held my shield up but let go of it right before impact. My excuse is my timing was off due to playing decent players exclusively on WI-FI but no johns. After the match I asked the guy what my habits were and he told me that I played keep-away for almost the whole match and once he got through my defenses he dominated me.

So "SS I JustAlex" sent me to losers. No I was not depressed because that happened to me last time, but I was kinda shaken to be put in losers THAT fast.

Moving along to the 2nd match. The bracket says I fought TNT but I recall fighting Bam, a Rosalina player. It must have been an error in the bracket (The commentators even say it at the end of my streamed match;it's at the bottom of my post). So for Bam, the Rosalina, our first match was on Town and City. I focused on getting Luma out of the way with Pk Fire's and Zair's while going for grabs on moves that I thought were laggy. At first the plan worked out since Bam rolls a lot and luma triggers Pk fire's explosion. He also used a lot of dash attacks that I ran into trying to challenge with fair's. I felt really confident in this match-up but I lost the first match due to going for footstool combos at low percents which DO NOT work on Rosalina because she flies too high after down throw. Around mid percents, it works, but he got luma to hit me during down throw to save his hide. The match boiled down to me losing to mis-spaced fairs above his head when I was landing and eating an F/Up smash to the crotch. Bam also loved to throw me which put me in the fair situations. I really hoped to hit him with fair before he got a smash attack out but my mis-spacing and Rosalina's hitbox did not allow any fair's to connect. A funny coincidence during the first stock of the first game is at one point during the match he hit me with an f smash that sent me close to the blast zone, after the hit I drifted towards the ledge, double jumped away and used pk magnet to stall to the bottom left hand corner of the blase zone to safely use pk thunder to recover... or so I thought. Here comes Bam jumping after me while I am starting up my recovery just to use Gravitational pull killing me AND him in the process due to end lag. I exploded into laughter, that was a classic to me, it was totally unexpected on my end. Another thing to note about the town and city match is that whenever he hit me with up tilts, up throw, up smash, or up air, when I would be in the bubble offscreen I would proceed to b- reverse magnet to mix-up my landing (in hindsight that's a bit too high). None of them worked because Bam would either jump straight up off a platform or from the ground and intentionally not attempt to follow my drift, so he made my magnet momentum shifts null and void and hit me with another up air; it's like he was just waiting to actually see me on screen before going for any punish.

For the second match vs Bam I forgot where we go, but in the end I win. So for the tie breaker, Bam counter-picks to Dreamland. I do not remember in great detail this match so I'm sorry for my sparse details; this match goes way better for me during the first stock since I somewhat adjusted to his play-style and I take his stock with ease. I then lose the second stock shortly thereafter. Bam started to beat me up last stock with up throws, some tilts, and hitting me threw the platforms thus sending me into an air-dodge frenzy. I noticed the clock starting to tick down around a minute and 50 seconds and I look at both of our percents. I'm sitting at 89% while he is in the 10's. I lunge at him and get a down throw into 2 nairs and a sour-spot fair. Noticing how aggressive I'm playing Bam decides to run away from me since he has the percent lead. Long story short: I racked Bam up to somewhere around 69% to somewhere in the 70's while he tacked on very little damage on me. The game ended in a time out with him using Launch star offstage to prevent me from getting any more percent on him to turn the tides.

I felt like I had a good run and was happy to make it to a local. I then played friendlies and watched other competitor's until I was notified about my next match that caught me by surprise. I even talked with Krebs (the Tournament Organizer) to figure this out, I was for sure I was out of the tournament until he showed me the bracket and explained Smash Pit to me.

Happy to get more matches I went on to play "TnT Pil0t" a Villager. When we arrived at the setup he started talking mess which sounded to me like he was trying to raise he ego. I asked him about bans and he was we're starting on "Starterville", and I was like uhhh, ok? I just wanted to get my matches in. Anyway I banned smashville and town and city so we went to lylat for the first game. With my experience with villagers I had my mind prepared for nairs, slingshots, and gimps. This guy did none of that. He only hit me with fair twice. I then got a down throw on him, a few nairs and dairs conversions from down throws, and Lucas pk hoo-hah for the kill. I won the first match hands down. He then begin to get excited and counter picked to Smashville. I noticed TnT Pil0t was not very good in my opinion or rather unfamiliar with the Lucas match-up. He loved using Lloid rockets and at one point I killed him with a point blank reflected f-smash from a Lloid rocket around 30-40%. In summary he made the match way too easy for any novice Lucas player. This is going to sound super disrespectful and rude but to me it felt like I held my guard up for all the punches in a boxing match but no big blows came way.

With that out of the way my next fight was vs. a 13-14 year old named Trueshot, a Mario main who I enjoyed playing friendly doubles with earlier. For our first match, I took him to Final Destination. Now I feel really comfortable in the Mario matchup having played several matches vs another Mario main from a Twitch stream that I fought during his online tourney and in viewer battles (forgot his name at the moment, will add later.). I slept on the kid since he was young so I doubted he would have a strategy. I quickly figured out he knew the Mario basics and probably learned a thing or two from Ally with his usage of down throw to up-tilts and down throw to up air and up b strings. Once I got hit by those and his on-stage fair and bair game, I knew he was no slouch.

I remember how I played the match so I'll just elaborate on that and hopefully help a few Lucas players along the way. When the match started, the first thing I did was use b-reverse PSI magnets in neutral from afar and a good distance in front of Mario, since one of his main zoning tools is fireball pressure. Whenever I caught a fireball near him I would cancel it and punish with a fair (zair can work here also). I also decided to zone him out with retreating b-reverse pk fire's. (I know I say it a lot but it's how I always pk fire until one day I get punished hard for it.) Once Trueshot had enough of my pk fire's or when I feel like mixing it up, I would throw in a couple or at least 3 retreating and approaching zairs back to back to nullify his attempts to cape an incoming pk fire. As for mario's ground game, I just make sure I stay out of grab range, and go for down tilt to grab, or pivot grabs. In the first match since we were on Final Destination, I managed to land multiple instances of Lucas's jablock combo and ended them with up smashes. Trueshot expressed dissatisfaction with this by calling it "Fancy" and "Jank", well it worked out for me in the end and boy does it feel good to land consistently. In the match I also opted for down throw to bairs and using fast fall nairs offstage to footstool if possible (footstool may not always be required) to drag him down and exploit his recovery range similar to how yoshi, pikachu, and luigi players will use a multi-hit move for "spikes". For the fast fall footstool, I usually tend to get it from a throw near the edge, then I wait for them to be below the stage and I short or full hop (depending on situation and preference) and input a fast fall nair while descending so I only get the first 3 hits. Sometimes the opponent would end below me while a few times they would end above me resulting in a footstool by me. I do remember taking one stock by just getting an intentional footstool after I threw him off stage and he tried to double jump to ledge snap.
As for avoiding fludd I use PSI magnet just so it will not screw up my pk thunder while also stalling in the air. I also occasionally double jumped into fludd and waited the knockback out before I recovered with pk thunder or a zair. Remember to mix up your recovery if you are proficient enough with b-reverse pk magnet below and above the ledge, it can save ya' from fludd or some nasty aerials as you drift towards the ledge, I like to use it as a bait and drift close to people then at the last second just magnet away from the ledge to dodge their attack then magnet again towards the stage (will put you under the stage), double jump then snap the ledge or zair it. Also a thing I forgot to note is that I play aggressive during the match when the percent is just around the 30% mark and most of the match thereafter since I am comfortable with my ability in the match-up.

I took the first match and he decided to counter-pick dreamland. I can't recall exactly what happened but I know I must have been feeling myself too much during the second match and practically gave it to him. I also played a little bit safer on dreamland since I was not as likely to get the jab lock combos I always go for on dreamland. So I lose the 2nd match and I counter-pick to Lylat. Trueshot expresses his salt with Lylat and talks about he hates the stage. I somewhat felt a little confident before the match started and I was right to do so. On Lylat I did my usual spacing as Lucas but I also used to platforms to my advantage to continue nair strings from down throw, into grab resets, bairs, jab locks, etc. Fighting Trueshot on Lylat Cruise felt like i was fighting a different player. The previous play-style he showed me the last two matches was nowhere to be found. I'm glad I practiced on Lylat Cruise in Wi-Fi tgat way the stage could not destroy my recovery unless I get blown under the stage and tech wrong. Back to the match Trueshot even managed to get gimped by the stage. and had an unfortunate Self Destruct with assistance by Lylat Cruise. Unrelated but if you can send the opponent far from the stage, try to go for a pk fire offstage and practice the timing so regardless if you are above or below them, they will fall/jump into the fire, or you could just time it with a recovery, oh and pk thunder is great for challenging Mario's and Captain Falcon's as long as you do not get the ball to hit; just treat it the same as Ness's pk thunder when going for gimps: hit with the trail and then bail.

I won the 3rd match and Trueshot was not happy that he lost to my shennagians, and Lylat Cruise. The match vs. Vertaichi I do not recall, I know it's late in my post but one of my matches my opponent left in advance after they lost in winners but I cannot recall who. For my 5th match (I know I skipped 4th but I'm just going by the bracket), I had a run-back vs Trueshot, since he made out of loser's in the Smash Pit bracket and this time he came back with a vengeance. We started to ban stages and I banned Smashville and Town and city, (not sliding of the ledge this time) while Trueshot banned Dreamland and Castle Siege. I told him not to ban Castle Siege once he said it because I would not take him there, but he was insistent on banning Castle Siege telling me that he will not be taken there and I replied with an OK (I tried to give him a way out, I really did). So then I took the minor to Lylat Cruise and he reeled his head back and exclaimed that he forget about Lylat Cruise. No need to type a lot here, because that match was smooooth sailing :pimp:. The second match he took me to Halberd, where he was on tilt and used every ounce of skill he could muster to bring me down. After the bloodshed, I was victorious. Trueshot slumped in his chair and ranted to me about Lylat Cruise. I patted him on the back and told him this, "I also do not like Lylat, but to prepare myself for tournaments I practice on Lylat just in case I have to play on it in tournament." Really it's just familiarizing yourself with stages that way there is nothing unexpected or new to you when you fight a decent player on that stage in a tournament, it can really throw off your game and it's how I lost TGC 6 vs a Luigi so I know from experience (The commentators mention True being salty in my match vs Bam, just a heads up, too bad they did not know that the Lucas they were commentating for is the one who eliminated him :glare:).

My last match was a rematch with Bam in Grand Finals. I was pumped and raring to go, playing stream did not bother me but it was after the match or second match I jerked my head around me to see if anyone was watching so I guess I was kinda of worried, but not really to be frank. Anyone before our first match they gave us two separate flat screen tv's with cameras on top of them that looked like the GoPro brand which was SWEEET, I loved that!!! A confidence deterrent was that a fellow smasher said aloud towards Bam that I do not know how to approach so take the fight to me. When the guy said that I looked in his general direction; in retrospect I should not have done that but it's what I did. I did not say nothing to the guy but it did hit me for a couple of seconds until I brushed it off and told myself, if he noticed that habit, then that is something I need to really work on and reminded myself at the beginning of the match so I could work on curing that habit and improve my play. What started off as a comment I initially perceived as negative transformed into a surge of energy and confidence.

Right off the bat I ban Smashville and Town and City, I will not go there nor call it "Starterville" since I find them to be my worst stages, since the platforms usually work against me but what I really despise about those stages is how many times I rolled off the edge during pk thunder, *grumble* *grumble*. Our first match was on Battlefield and I feel that I did pretty well until I self destructed. The reason behind that self-destruct is that I believed I did pk thunder correctly and would be launched in the right direction to snap the ledge, but near the end I got a stage bounce which I did not expect. In other words I reacted after what I saw and not immediately (I have been practicing that now so I can always be ready for the unexpected bounces). Last stock was a huge percent deficit on my end and I just got really cocky fishing for the kill and threw the game.

Second match I counter-pick to Duck Hunt since I love the stage playing as Lucas for the wide flat area that I find great for landing my jab locks when the dog is not interrupting me. plus the flat sides to aid in my recovery which final destination does not provide well for Mother enthusiasts (I should really consider using Omega Wily's Castle). At the very beginning of this match is a special suprise that caught me by suprise (I WILL USE THIS MORE OFTEN!!). Besides that I really have nothing to say for the second match, but in the end I managed to pull through.

For the third match I was really feeling myself after I got 3 down throws into up airs and a bair reset. I racked up percent pretty fast and I got that mix up first hand from a player in the Lucas discord who always did that to me on multiple stages in our Wi-FI sets (Lylat Cruise included). I noticed he (the Lucas Player) opted for a more reliable way to tack on damage while I honing my footstool combos and noticed that he got more damage on me than I did with what seemed like required a lot less commitment to accomplish. Also in my first set vs Bam I was unable to land my footstools on him even though I grabbed him many times at low percent and followed his DI correctly. I had a really bad habit of doing a neutral get up from the ledge since I was not getting hard punished by it and I felt that the pummels and throws as a punish did not pose a threat to me at the time, just a minor annoyance.

Match: (Disregard the disrespectful commentators) (The youtube comments are a nice read though for some) -

I've been watching my stream matches a lot over the time since I competed at Smash Fight Club and I really could not find a moment where I performed exceptionally well. I've been at it replaying moments where I did stuff wrong and constantly pausing to see what moves I should not use when I get punished, my rolling habits, etc. I also asked the Lucas Discord for help with the match so I'll just jot down here the collected observation from me and the Discord Group.

Notes I have collectlively gathered for my set:
  • Do not play on Battlefield like it is Final Destination; make use of the platforms
  • Learn to punish Gravitational Pull
  • Watch my percent and mix up my ledge options, getting pummled and thrown off stage is what brought the Rosalina player back in the game
  • DO NOT challenge Rosalina when she is above me while I land, fair never lands and I always ate an f or and up smash; instead do my best to drift towards safety
  • Break the habit of air dodging low to the stage
  • Go in on Rosalina and do not play as a zoner all game; utilize short hop fast fall fairs as an approach when appropiate
  • Do my best not to lean on magnet hands when a smash attack is charged in my face XD
Any other advice or habits you guys notice would be appreciated. If this is not the right thread for feedback, I will cover my own back and post the video in the Lucas video thread.

I had a blast at Smash Fight Club and I hope my results post proves insightful to aspiring Lucas players.

P.S: I do not feel like messing up the section where I typed about fighting Trueshot's Mario so I will add it here. I find it great to use PSI magnet as a mix-up for approaches while also defeating his fireball game in the process. I really love using b-reverse PSI magnets in neutral but then I only used it in matches vs projectile users. After some practice I am starting to incorporate it into more match-ups regardless if they have a projectile or not. It's better to strike some fear into your opponent instead of leaving an option unused, no matter how useless it may appear to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom