• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official *hop* "Save your game?" - Lucas Results Thread

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
33rd out of 77/Good Games, Well Played 8/ 25 June 2016/ Almere, The Netherlands
(2v2) 9th out of 30/ Good Games, Well Played 8/ 25 June 2016/ Almere, The Netherlands
7th out of 38/ ESL Benelux Championship Open/8 July 2016/ Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
3rd out of 28 / York Street Battles #44 / 24 July, 2016 / Sydney, Australia

Any other characters used? :4ness:

https://qldsmash.com/Results/NSW?t=York Street Battles #44
Pleased by the result, but I was one read away from 2nd place (or better) so It's a work in progress-kind of result. :p

Biggest block this tournament came yet again from our Luigi / Charizard main, I was doing realllyyy well in LFs and was up 2-0 but he started figuring out my Lucas so I lost the next 2 games. In a bit of a panic I switched to Ness hoping to throw him off and it was damn close, last stock, high percents. He grabbed me at the ledge but I got out of it (wiichuk mashing is efficient man), got nervous being offstage and tried to come up with a spaced Fair but he went for a Dsmash and it caught me at max range. Very fun set though. Next time, huh? :p

Last edited:

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
3rd out of 28 / York Street Battles #44 / 24 July, 2016 / Sydney, Australia

https://qldsmash.com/Results/NSW?t=York Street Battles #44
Pleased by the result, but I was one read away from 2nd place (or better) so It's a work in progress-kind of result. :p

Biggest block this tournament came yet again from our Luigi / Charizard main, I was doing realllyyy well in LFs and was up 2-0 but he started figuring out my Lucas so I lost the next 2 games. In a bit of a panic I switched to Ness hoping to throw him off and it was damn close, last stock, high percents. He grabbed me at the ledge but I got out of it (wiichuk mashing is efficient man), got nervous being offstage and tried to come up with a spaced Fair but he went for a Dsmash and it caught me at max range. Very fun set though. Next time, huh? :p
Great job Luco. I am gonna be heading to tourneys in NYC when I get back from NJ in September. I really feel like I have leveled up over the summer!

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
Biggest block this tournament came yet again from our Luigi / Charizard main, I was doing realllyyy well in LFs and was up 2-0 but he started figuring out my Lucas so I lost the next 2 games. In a bit of a panic I switched to Ness hoping to throw him off and it was damn close, last stock, high percents.
Okay, first of all, did he win any of those games with Luigi? Because I don't think that should happen to Lucas. Like, ever.

Second, the same situation happened to Waveguider at BAM against Umeki and I don't get why people with more than one tournament-level character don't immediately switch if they have games to spare and it appears their opponent has figured out their first choice. Switch for the fourth game and get a feel for which of the two gives you more in the match, don't wait until the final game when you have the upper hand like that.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Okay, first of all, did he win any of those games with Luigi? Because I don't think that should happen to Lucas. Like, ever.

Second, the same situation happened to Waveguider at BAM against Umeki and I don't get why people with more than one tournament-level character don't immediately switch if they have games to spare and it appears their opponent has figured out their first choice. Switch for the fourth game and get a feel for which of the two gives you more in the match, don't wait until the final game when you have the upper hand like that.
Nope, I've more or less figured out his Luigi, he only used Chad against me in tournament.

And yeah, I should have switched to Ness game 4 but I had the CP advantage to pick FD and thought it'd still be a good idea to do it with Lucas. I'd been using Ness against him in winners so I only wanted to switch if I really had to.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
7th out of 18/ AFK Local/22 August 2016/ Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Lost to 2nd and 3rd place and got extremely close at beating 2nd place. Pretty much only top 25 players where there so I'm kinda content with my placing but it could have been higher.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh, I have two to post!

5th out of 60 / The Great Cave Offensive (Smash 4 / N64 edition) / 14 August, 2016 / Sydney, Australia

https://qldsmash.com/Results/NSW?t=Great Cave Offensive - Smash 4 & N64

This was the most stacked local event we've had in AGES. it's the beginning of a new series, so pretty much all of our PR was there including 2 inactive players who would otherwise be PR, Scott and Shaya (the latter you may know from on the boards!) As a result it meant the results really meant a lot, so that was cool, but getting 5th at that event was slightly sad as well because I really wanted to hit top 3 or 4. Pools was more intense than usual because a bayo main I lowkey struggle with was in my pool so we had ridiculously close games. Other than that though it was a good day and overall had a wonderful time.

Then this one:

1st out of 18 / Capital Smash 17 / 21 August, 2016 / Canberra, Australia

https://qldsmash.com/Results/ACT?t=Capital Smash 17

Went interstate! Less entrants but the home of Waveguider (known internationally for his WFT and Greninja) who I battled through Winners finals and both sets of Grands with. Ridiculously close, could have gone either way and unfortunately he made a critical SD on lylat game 4 in the final set. That said it was amazing to play him in person (we used to play online for years since mid-Brawl days) and the result spread over the aussie smash twitter feeds like wildfire so I was pretty proud of myself hahaha. I used Lucas once in GFs but Ness was the superior option in that set, however Lucas certainly came through for me in the winners semis match against Quen's Ryu. It was a fantastic day and got me really excited for our major which is happening this weekend. :D

Get hype!

EDIT: I'll give it a couple more posts and then I'll update the whole thing. :)

Last edited:

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
My tag is Berry but it was already taken on this site so I have something else.

(1v1) 7th out of 32 / Smash South V / 6/6/16 / Heerlen, The Netherlands
(2v2) 2nd out of 8 / Smash South V / 6/6/16 / Heerlen, The Netherlands

I know im late with this but i just found out about this Forum.
I had a few tournaments where I was last place but i just started playing competitivly half a year ago.
I'll be going to a lot more tournaments soon so i'll be posting more placings soon.

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
(1v1) 9th out of 32 / Smash South VI / 28/8/16 / Heerlen, The Netherlands
(2v2) 3rd out of 12 / Smash South VI / 28/8/16 / Heerlen, The Netherlands

ive gotta add something, my placings were worse than last time, but there is a reason.
In 1v1 i got a way harder bracket than last time, and even beat a pikachu player who placed 2nd in singles last 3 times this tournament was held, I eventually lost to the same R.O.B. player I lost last time this tournament was held.
But im proud to beat that Pikachu player and even got this place with a way harder bracket, because it shows that I improved.

In 2v2 me and my teammate also lost against the same team in losers finals as we lost to them last time this tournament was held, but we even got 2 wins out of them, wich we werent able to do last time, so we even improved in teams.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
3rd out of 140 / OzHadou Nationals 14 / 26-28 August, 2016 / Sydney, Australia

https://qldsmash.com/Results/NSW?t=OzHadou Nationals 14: 26th - 28th August

I did good things guys! This tournament went into Das Koopa's rankings so it's affected Lucas' (and Ness'!) results scores on a global level. I beat NVO | Ghost on the way up to winner's finals, although lost to him later on in losers (so we're perfectly even, 10 games to 10) who's probably #2 in Aus right now after Extra, who I lost to in winners finals. I repped my state and have been the talk of the town for a bit since then so I'm pretty happy with this and hopefully I can keep pushing results from my part of the world for you guys. <3

Last edited:

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice

I did good things guys! This tournament went into Das Koopa's rankings so it's affected Lucas' (and Ness'!) results scores on a global level. I beat NVO | Ghost on the way up to winner's finals, although lost to him later on in losers (so we're perfectly even, 10 games to 10) who's probably #2 in Aus right now after Extra, who I lost to in winners finals. I repped my state and have been the talk of the town for a bit since then so I'm pretty happy with this and hopefully I can keep pushing results from my part of the world for you guys. <3
Nice to see all the Lucas players getting such a high result, im going to Avalon in 2 days hoping ill get in top 30, but i got a pretty hard bracket, but well see.

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
25th out of 101 / Avalon U-V / Sep 03, 2016 / Zoetemeer, The Netherlands.
http://challonge.com/AvalonUVsingles

I looked at older results of Avalon, and if im right im the first Lucas main to be in top 30 at Avalon.
As I said in an older post, I hoped that could make it into top 30 and i did it.
This week ill be going to Syndicate and my goal for that is to get into top 64.
You'll hear from me in a week.

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice

Luco, I read that you are a threat in DIAD in the latest forum on the frontpage, nice that you are putting on a representation on Lucas, we need more.

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
Well Syndicate went pretty bad, i think none of the other Lucas mains from the Netherlands made it into top 64.

(1v1) 13 out of 20 from my bracket / Syndicate / 10-11 September, 2016 / The Netherlands.

https://smash.gg/tournament/syndicate-2016/brackets/12692/28380
im in Bracket A8
there were 319 players and getting 13 out of 20 means im second to last place, wich is pretty bad.

My first loss was against Otek, a ryu .main from Luxembourgh, first game went bad second game i was able to adapt a little better, i even got a few downthrow > footstool > jablock combo on him off.
But he was just better than me so eventually i lost.

My second loss was against Meister Sima Yi, the most defensive Diddy main ive ever seen, he almost timed me out in game 2, I was at 180% he at 50% I clutched it out with an F-smash at the edge of the game and made a game 3 out of it.
after Syndicate was over and i saw the Bracket i saw that i was the only one after Eddy that took a game out of Meister Sima Yi, so I think i couldve placed higher if I didnt face him.

so after this tournament I realise I still need to improve a lot, some people said to me that my tech skill isnt that great but my mindgames are on point, so I think im gonna practice my tech skill more, if anyone has some tips on that please tell me.

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
Oh, I do have a result.

(1v1) 9th of I don't know how many because the bracket software crashed apparently, I think like 50 or so? / Final Fight 4 / 17 September, 2016 / Wollongong, Australia

So it was top three out of pools, and they use this point system for round-robin pools at Final Fight, which means that despite losing three of my sets, I took single games from almost everyone I lost to and also beat a couple of people 2-0 and got out third. And then the guy who came first went home, so I was even more out of pools than before.

Then I was a complete idiot and went to get dinner right as the bracket started, which got me DQ'd from winners side. I had to fight Newcastle's #2 PR player and one of their PR honourable mentions one after another, and I ended up stomping both of them 2-0. This is the second time I've gone interstate, and both times I've unwittingly 2-0'd a PR player from another state. The guy played Ness and kind of just did the same stuff all the time. The honourable mention played Sheik and couldn't mash to save his life; literally, I got two really easy Freeze stage spikes.

I ended up losing 0-2 to a Link player, though both games were pretty close, and I think I did pretty well without an extra loss to work with. Whole day was pretty good; had a fun time, got some variety in opponents compared to local friendlies, which is nice, and despite missing a bunch of somewhat basic confirms, I did lots of cool stuff throughout the day and felt like I was on fire. I went into the day wanting to at least make it out of pools, since I just barely didn't thanks to the point system at Final Fight 3. Didn't expect I'd make it as far as I did in bracket, and it makes me feel pretty good about my chances for the next one in another few months.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Sounds like Final Fight was a 24-man pro bracket, and if your pool was 5-man there were 8 pools meaning you would have had around 40 people. I was just going off your description, knowing you lost to three players and "couple" normally meaning two, but if you know exact number then I'll use that instead.

I heard Kelp was really salty after losing to ya, good job on making 9th and I'll edit it in soon. :D

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
I know my pool was abnormally large; I wasn't added to the player list when I registered, so I got dropped into the last pool right as pools began (also meaning I had to fight a fellow ACT player). Another guy got missed from the player list and dumped in a pool randomly when we started, so if that was two seven-player pools and six six-player pools, it was 50 total entrants.

But it also looks like the pools results are up on QLDSmash now, and there were 50 total entrants, so I guess I guessed correctly and am amazing, especially the part where I forgot to put a full stop on this sentence originally.

Last edited:

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
(1v1) 17th out of 32 / Counterpick 21 / 23 September 2016 / Utrecht, The Netherlands.

http://byoc.challonge.com/counterpick21

I know my placing isnt that high, but im gonna add something first.
First round had to play against Skipper, who got 2nd at this event, first game he picked captain Falcon, I won that game, then he switched to Mario 2nd and 3rd game were all last stock last hit situations and he got both of them so I was sent to losers in first round.
Im not that mad about it, because I was able to play equal against the player who got 2nd at this event.

2nd round wasnt that hard so nothing to say about that.

3rd round, I feel like ive been misinformed on smashboards, I had to play against Paragon a guy who solo mains Ganondorf.
All games were pretty equal except for the last game where he got the lead, i got impatient and he eventually beat me.
Well the misinformed part is where most people on smashboards said that Ganon is the easiest MU for Lucas, after playing against him i dont think so, i still believe Lucas wins the MU but its definitly not the easiest, if Ganon is able to get in on you, you are gonna have a bad time.
This guy was really good at edgegaurding, so at the edge of the stage was really hard to get back on it.

Well it was a fun event but I didnt place that well, better luck next time i geuss, ill be going to Smash south VII next week and hopefully ill get a better placing then.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
We likely win slightly vs Ganon but it's not free by any means and especially practically the MU can go south real quick if you're not careful. Good stuff though, I know I keep saying I'm gonna update the OP and haven't gotten around to it but I really will do it as soon as I have the chance promise. <3 Come to think of it I failed at putting a full stop on the end of the originally too. :'(

Last edited:

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
13th out of 58 / Birmingham Brawl 12 / September 24, 2016 / Homewood, Alabama, United States

https://smashboards.com/rankings/birmingham-brawl-12-smash-4-singles.15181/event

It's been a while since I've updated here. I've been to a couple tournaments in between my last post, but I'm not happy enough with those results to share them. Nothing like going 0-2, but still not what I expected or wanted. Yesterday was the best I had been feeling about Smash in a while and I'd say I did decently. (Though my bracket was definitely easier than others) Anyways, on to the good ol' analysis!

Solar - Corrin / 2-1
I don't have much experience in the Corrin matchup as I should so I struggled a little bit here. First game I also SD'd which got me WAY behind and I couldn't bring it back. Next game I noticed he used Dragon Lunge a lot and he would approach using it, so I just kept spacing myself so I could grab him out of it or PK Fire him. He also used dragon shot too much so I had my down-b ready to absorb it, which solidified my leads in the last two games. He also seemed to break down when I had a massive lead.

The Rat Doctor - Bowser/Mario / 2-1
So this set was much more difficult than I expected. So difficult that I lost. He played Bowser exactly as he should have. He was very grab heavy and combo'd out of his grabs for some extra percent. First game he was able to catch me in a lot of grabs and took the game not long after I took his first stock. He then switched to Mario for some reason and I took him down pretty easily due to my Mario matchup practice. Went back to Bowser game 3, he was at 160% last stock. I had him in some jabs or whatever and he just mashed the c-stick till he got f-smash and I was GONE. Kinda made me sour but I got over it pretty fast. Guess I need to play more campy when it comes to Bowser. It was also being recorded, so I can see myself get cheesed on YouTube while also reviewing what I can improve on.

MexicanGoku - Link / 2-0 (Accidently reported it 2-1, but Idc)
Honestly there's not much I can say about this match. Not that the guy wasn't good, but he did what every Link pretty much does: spam projectiles. He'd use boomerang, pull bomb, use arrow, throw bomb, pull another bomb, etc. I used PK Fire to intercept the bombs and z-air for all the others. Whenever I got in close on him I'd grab and get some decent combos, then either regrab or just tighten up the distance between us and poke with f-air. Went well overall.

Forefit - Ryu/Roy / 2-1
Ryu has been my bane ever since his reveal and this is the first time I ever beat one in bracket. First game I SD'd and couldn't bring it back much like my first set. Took him to FD and he switched to Roy. Got that footstool lock combo on him real quick. I just kept his Roy out with PK Fire and got zair into grab and f-smash. He went back to Ryu the last game and I used nair to punish his focus. I think True Shoryu got a stock off of me, but I still won the set in the end. Now if I could only win against every other Ryu. :p

K3rok - Link / 2-0
Another Link player. Pretty much the same song and dance except he was able to get his confirms a little better than MexicanGoku. He also caught me off guard a lot with dash attack that would nearly kill me. I played him in friendlies at the last tournament I went to so I was a little prepared. Didn't do anything too crazy so I wouldn't get punished hard.

FF l ChillyChili - Game&Watch / 2-1
Welp, this was the end of my loser's bracket run. He's a PR player ranked #6, and for good reason too. I did take a game off of his G&W though with some careful play. Also got a good PK Freeze bait, expecting him to pull bucket. He did and I got a pretty good string off of it. Ended the game with a f-smash that just barely outsped his f-smash. He then brought out the Mario, which is his better character imo. He spaced me out really well and was able to get down throw up-air combos, as well as b-air strings. (P.S., I LOATHE Mario b-air) He didn't two stock me in either of those games, so I was definitely able to hold my own... till I inevitably lost. :p Wish the set could've been recorded so I could review it, but no dice.

The venue was enjoyable as always; the free drinks, working toilets, and lots of setups. They also were stream Abadango Saga using a projector which was a welcome addition. HBox was there to compete and placed 5th in Smash 4 with Puff. Shows how much we'll have to improve as a community. And there is a surprising amount of Lucas's who are appearing within Alabama. I saw 3 there besides myself today, and I know of others who didn't attend. Guess the baby boy may be planning an uprising of some sort. Anyways, thanks for reading, and I hope you have a fantastic day! :b:

Last edited:

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
(1v1) 9th out of 36 / Smash South 7 / 2 October 2016 / Heerlen, The Netherlands.
(2v2) 3rd out of 8 / Smash South 7 / 2 October 2016 / Heerlen, The Netherlands.

https://smashboards.com/rankings/smash-south-vii.15288/event

So im pretty happy with my result, I think I couldve placed better but oh well next time.
My first game was against Guven, the ROB main I awlays lose against just like last time, I did better this time but he just beat me into losers round 1, there are no other ROB players i know of so its pretty hard to learn this MU.

So I had to play against Paragon, the Ganon main I lost too last week, this time i didnt want to lose so i went full serious mode and eventually beat him, im happy with this cause i know i can beat him and i 2:0 him in losers bracket.

My last loss, was against Joey, a pretty good player in our country and places high at most tournaments.
He picked Cloud against me, he also has a Falcon but I beat him in friendlies so he went Cloud, It was even until i got offstage, this guy was very good at edgegaurding, he covered almost all of my options and if I used PK thunder off stage he just Limit crossslashed and went back onto stage, so for next time I meet him in bracket im gonna try to stay onto stage because thats when most of the time I had the advantage.

It was a good and fun event, and hope it will be hold many times.

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
2nd out of 17 / Times L.A.N. / 22 october 2016 / Landgraaf, The Netherlands

Well as you can see not many people came, and the people that came, were mostly random players.
Most of them werent that good, so i feel like this placing isnt that special.
But it was fun, so im happy.

Next week im going to Counterpick and there will be better players, so im gonna practice and see how good i place.

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
25th out of 36 / Counterpick 24 / 4 November 2016 / Utrecht, The Netherlands

http://byoc.challonge.com/counterpick24

So for this day, I played really bad overall.
First round I almost lost to Moozrim, just a random link player who was spamming smashes all game long, and i even fell for it a few times.

2nd round I had to go up against S1, I think he is the best player in our country if Mr. R isnt here, he takes all tourneys he goes to.
First game he went Ness, he 3 stocked me.
second game i counterpicked to Duck Hunt stage, and he went Cloud, I was able to take him to his last stock, but he was able to kill me with a B-Air, and end it there.

3rd round I had to go up against ZantG, Bayonetta player
I felt like I couldve easily won it, but i didnt, i wasnt with my mind fully in the game.

For the full day it felt like i wasnt there, I failed hard the whole day through, I know i can play better.
Im gonna prove that I can play better next Counterpick, wich will be held in 2 weeks, you will hear from me then.

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
33rd out of 128 / Avalon U-VI / 3 December 2016 / Zoetermeer, The Netherlands

http://challonge.com/AvalonUVIsingles

1st round wasn't interesting.

2nd round I had to go up against Gijsbeer a Samus main.
He 2:0 me, but it was really fun, Lucas Nation was there a lot of people were screaming behind my back, I am not used to this at all.
Well i had some notes on the MU but never played it, and this guy was obviously better than me, but i tried my best.

3rd round i had to go up against Abtin, I was still shaking from my last match and he knew i played Lucas so he counterpicked me with Cloud, I still defeated him but the shaking made it really hard.

4th round was also not that special.

5th round I had to go up against T-J a Ryu/Mario player.
1st game, i played against his Ryu, I was a bit behind but then i realized he plays Ryu and i can just keep him out, from there it was a really easy win.
2nd game, he went to Mario, I was ahead of him the whole time, He 2 framed my ledge getup 2 stocks in a row with F-Smash both at around 70-80%, and took my last stock with caping my PKT2.
3rd game, He 2 framed me again at a ledge getup, and took my last stock with a random F-Smash.
Well for these games i wanna call Bull****, I could've easily won from him but he got so lucky with those 2 frames, i feel like i got cheezed out of this tournament.

So for the Tournament as a whole, I know for sure i could've placed higher, don't know if I could take the player after T-J but next time i meet him in bracket i'll destroy him.
I got one complaint about this tournament, I had to play first game around 12:30, then I had to wait for 3 whole hours, because Gijsbeer was commentating, after that waiting i had to play 4 players in a row without a break.
After those games i finally could rest and started getting a headache so i had to leave earlier than normal.
But overall it was really fun, and had some funny games with Lucas Nation at my back.

Last edited:

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
1st of 9, Capital Smash 21 Doubles, 4 December 2016, Canberra, Australia

Challonge link with names that will mean nothing to anybody except maybe Luco: http://actsmash.challonge.com/capsmash21s4d

My teammate is our #2 player, and went Falcon. The only trouble we really had were the second place team, who took us to game five in winners finals with Diddy and Metaknight. By game five he realised he should never try and hit MK offstage, I stopped DI-ing Diddy's up throw directly into shuttle loop, and I grabbed the banana to let Falcon run a train on Diddy, so things got a lot easier. Grand finals was nearly 3-0, despite me SDing at least twice with Thunder. Last game was just shy of a 6 stock, too.

First time I've won anything that cost money to enter, which is strange and cool. The feeling of team after team stepping up to the plate and getting knocked down is wholly different from singles, and great.

Last edited:

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
Ah, I came 9th again.

9th of probably 40, Final Fight 5, 10 December 2016, Wollongong Australia - http://wollongongfgc.challonge.com/ff5sws

2-0'd everyone in my pool except the first seed, and much more decisively got out than the last time, which was my only real goal going in, to ensure that the last Final Fight wasn't a fluke and that I can get through by more than just the skin of my teeth.

Once in bracket, I immediately lost to Kristoph, which I expected, considering he won the last Final Fight and came third this time. I had hoped I would get at least one game since he wasn't using his main, but he kept pivot grabbing me with Bowser. And then regular grabbing me with Bowser. C'est la vie.

I won in the first round of losers against a Bayonetta, but I was flying by the seat of my pants for it, since I can count the number of times I've played against Bayonetta on one hand, all outside of a tournament and mostly online. In the end I got a fortunate Lylat un-techable stage spike.

Finally I lost to Eman, who ran a Yoshi train on me. I tried Final Destination, Dream Land, and Lylat; I think I should have stuck with FD. I couldn't find a way to secure a grab or move around Yoshi's hitboxes. I felt like I more or less understood what I needed to do from some previous experience, but clearly I have more work to do.

So top 8 (in a bracket with more than eight players) eludes me still. I can feel when I play players who make top 8 consistently that there is a definite difference in skill. It's been a little over a year since I started competitive play, and I've managed to reach the same point in a different bracket. What used to be barely getting anywhere in the amateur bracket is now barely getting anywhere in the pro bracket. So I suppose I'm making progress.

Honestly, I was worried I wouldn't do well today. My stomach didn't feel great on the drive up, and I didn't have a good breakfast like I usually do before a tournament. I don't think I was on complete autopilot, since I was doing good reset combos in friendlies, and making good up smash reads and DI reactions throughout the day. Maybe I was on autopilot; Lucas' autopilot is one of the best in the game. Whether that was the case or not, I did well, and I was consistent from last time.

I like going out of town for tournaments, since it lets me gauge how well I can do against fresh opponents. Even though the seeding and player placement was hot garbage in both bracket and pools, and even though there were fewer entrants, and even though it was considerably more stacked than last time, I had a bunch of fun. Every time I go back to Wollongong I'll be told that they have a few Lucas players there, or that someone I'm playing plays a bit of Lucas and knows what he can do. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I'm 90% sure that is entirely because of me; the very first time I went there I 2-0'd one of their best players and nobody there played Lucas. And even though more of them know how to play him or fight him now, I still do really well.

I can't help but wonder if I'll be unseeded and basically a nobody every single time, though. Maybe if I break through and get top 3 the TOs will remember me. It's a little exhausting having to face a first and second seed when you have the skill of a second seed yourself.

EDIT: Also two stock is awful. I swear I could have gotten out of my pool first if it was three stock.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Sorry I haven't been around and updating the thing. I might transfer ownership of this thread to someone else just because I'm pretty busy.

On the bright side I've been getting a good string of results lately. Got 1st today out of around 50 people so that's nice. :D

And I can't stand 2-stock either. :p

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Ah yes I'm well acquainted with the San Antonio scene actually.

Like I mentioned if I get the time to update this that'll go up fo sho. :)

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
9th out of 123th / NHSmash3 / 14 Januari 2017 / Alkmaar, The Netherlands
(2v2) 9th out of 39th / NHSmash3 / 14 Januari 2017 / Alkmaar, The Netherlands

Extremely happy with these results. Singles was killer with 3 really good german players, Larry Lurr, Mr.R and a lot of the good Dutch players. Doubles could have been slightly better but c'est la vie.
Single digits at a national. Woohoo!

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
17th out of 62 / Great Cave Offensive 5 / Jan 15, 2017 / Sydney, Australia

not sure what to feel on this one. I guess I did alright for not being to a tournament in a year but I choked hard in losers round 2.

Top Bottom