• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Home of the ROBSquad - R.O.B. Social Thread

Zensor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sebdude198
3DS FC
1289-8462-4385
Digging out another one from my R.O.B collection.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Hello ROB Squad. I've decided to try picking up ROB to replace my Duck Hunt (ROB isn't as screwed against anti-projectile characters and has more KO power) and i've done pretty well with him in FG Doubles (60%-70% is my idea of good, considering I hover around 40%-45% with my other characters). I would like to know if any of you know any useful tips for ROB. I dabbled in a few of the guides here, but i'm sure there's more to learn about him than that. Thanks if you can help.
Good to see a fellow :4gaw: player. As for :4rob:, ROBnWatch pretty much summed it up nicely but I'll add to it. Like what ROBnWatch said Nair is one of :4rob:'s best moves and should be used quite often to space and pressure the opponent. :4rob:'s gyro is also amazing since again its a good spacing tool and since it's an active hit-box the opponent must jump over the gyro in order to approach. The gyro is also good for mind-games and believe it or not combos. Also :4rob: has a ton of combos/strings. Here is a few I will list to give you an idea:

2x Dtilt -> Gyro
Dash attack -> Fair
Dash attack -> Fair -> Dtilt (depends on percentage)
Dash attack -> Fair -> Dtilt -> Gyro (depends on percentages)
Dash attack -> Uair (depends on percentages)
Dgrab -> Uair (can bait the air dodge to follow up!)
Gyro -> Laser
This is just some that I have mentioned and I'm sure others can list more. Also :4rob: can be played both offensively and defensive so don't be afraid to approach with :4rob:. I hope this helps you out. :4rob: is a really fun character once everything clicks!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Wow guys. Satoru Iwata passed away. R.I.P.. Condolences to his family. This is a very saddening time. :'(

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I may have discovered a very consistent foot stool set up. Maybe an infinite, someone better than me would have to figure that out.

When above an opponent, throw the gyro down ( Z drop is too slow, and you fall faster than it initially) and then foot stool. You can also z-catch the top too, which is why I mentioned its potential as an infinite (Remember, you can't tech footstools). It works at all percents, but is much easier (almost guaranteed) at low percents. Once you get past about %80 you need to position yourself where they're going to be (Remember that the gyro always launches people the direction you're facing when you throw it), rather than where you dropped the top.

This testing is just done with a CPU King DeDeDe. I'm having a friend come over later today and I'll get better results later. I implore people to test this out though, as it might be huge for R.O.B.

edit: At low percents z dropping doesn't work at all. They need to be put into hitstun for this to work.

Last edited:

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I may have discovered a very consistent foot stool set up. Maybe an infinite, someone better than me would have to figure that out.

When above an opponent, throw the gyro down ( Z drop is too slow, and you fall faster than it initially) and then foot stool. You can also z-catch the top too, which is why I mentioned its potential as an infinite (Remember, you can't tech footstools). It works at all percents, but is much easier (almost guaranteed) at low percents. Once you get past about %80 you need to position yourself where they're going to be (Remember that the gyro always launches people the direction you're facing when you throw it), rather than where you dropped the top.

This testing is just done with a CPU King DeDeDe. I'm having a friend come over later today and I'll get better results later. I implore people to test this out though, as it might be huge for R.O.B.
Do you think you could show us a video please. So we understand it better.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Do you think you could show us a video please. So we understand it better.
I'll try to post one tomorrow (well, in the afternoon). But it's not a hard concept to grasp. Hit them with the top and then foot stool them soon afterwards. I probably over explained in my post, but I was just trying to show how it was different from other foot stool set ups and how it pertains to ROB.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I'll try to post one tomorrow (well, in the afternoon). But it's not a hard concept to grasp. Hit them with the top and then foot stool them soon afterwards. I probably over explained in my post, but I was just trying to show how it was different from other foot stool set ups and how it pertains to ROB.
Yeah but a video always helps people that can't grasp it or people that are visual learners like myself.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Here it is. I'm getting a better camera soon so i'l re record with a better example and better camera work eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtbrKkofoTQ

Something to note: At low percents z dropping doesn't work at all. They need to be put into hitstun for this to work.

Last edited:

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
Holy ****, finally met another ROB in FG.

Any'a you guys use the name "DPAYNE" ? 'Cuz I just kicked your ass.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don't use FG, and now I'm glad I don't. :)

Not really into all that into the competitive stuff. For Fun's my place to pwn people...

Last edited:

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
Not really into all that into the competitive stuff. For Fun's my place to pwn people...
And I'm not really all that into having battles be decided by items and environmental hazards instead of skill. :p

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
And I'm not really all that into having battles be decided by items and environmental hazards instead of skill. :p
We've all got our opinions. And to be honest, I don't usually play with items on in standard Smash. But, I honestly don't think I've got the skill to be playing in FG so...

But ya, For Fun is cool. But then again, nowadays, I only play online against my friends.

Furret24

Smash Master
I don't play FF anymore unless i'm looking for those servers where players just do stupid things for the whole match. I can't stand it when the opposing team only wins because they got the Smash Ball, blow thing, etc.

On the subject of FG, I mostly play FG teams nowadays (I've done about 200 FG teams, less than 20 1v1) so if you don't frequent there, i'll likely never see you.

On a sidenote, I gave each of my mains a specific name so I can see how good I do with each one. Spoilers, I suck at Smash. I have a 45% win rate, which is bad, right?
Green G&W- BEEP BEEP!
Green R.O.B.- LAUNCHER; a reference to how R.O.B.'s green skin is the same as the R.O.B. launchers in the Subspace thingy.
Blue Kirby- POYO!
Yes, they are all in caps.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I go on FF and FG every now and then. FF just to mess around when I'm tired and FG when I wanna have a more legitimate match. My cousin and I often go on FG doubles and I actually use R.O.B. quite a bit on there (being able to shoot gyros and lasers without any concern for your ally is kinda ridiculous). If you ever see someone with a Mii named Krys using either Krys or KrysTJ as tags then that's me.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
We've all got our opinions. And to be honest, I don't usually play with items on in standard Smash. But, I honestly don't think I've got the skill to be playing in FG so...

But ya, For Fun is cool. But then again, nowadays, I only play online against my friends.
Dude I've seen people on for glory and through battling you, you have quite a bit of skill. More than the average FG player. I remember when I was getting pwned in FG when I first got Sm4sh. Now I go into FG and sometimes its frustrating to find a good opponent.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Dude I've seen people on for glory and through battling you, you have quite a bit of skill. More than the average FG player. I remember when I was getting pwned in FG when I first got Sm4sh. Now I go into FG and sometimes its frustrating to find a good opponent.
You really think so? Hmmm...maybe I'll consider going on FG soon then. But right now, life has just given me too much to do, I'll have to wait a bit.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I never take online matchmaking seriously. It's not a big deal, and it's not a testament of skill. I never play my mains on there either, don't want to **** up my muscle memory.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Hey ROB players! We from the Ryu boards are making a doubles thread. The purpose of the thread is to find the best partner for Ryu. I'm going to invite as many people I can at once and get discussions going on all at once. We invite you to our dojo and hope you could help us discuss ROB and Ryu in doubles. Thank you in advance!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well guys, I'm finally done with my Iwata drawing. I'll color it in tomorrow and post it here.

Breadbot

Smash Cadet
Any of you bots going to smashcon?

We should totally plan a big ROB squad meetup ([OoO]

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Last edited:

Breadbot

Smash Cadet
Yo! All 3 days. Should we make a thread in a week or two about it?
I'll get on that next week since registration ends on the 21st

edit: hoping they upload a floor plan by then, would make things a heck of alot easier

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Guys, I sadly won't have the drawing up today for Iwata. An unforeseen scrimmage with my soccer team popped up literally about an hour after I posted that I would have it up. It will DEFINITELY be up tomorrow. No doubt.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Guys...

My Iwata drawing's still not done. And I honestly don't know when it will be done. I messed up in the coloring sequence, and I'll have to try to find a way to get around it. It's coming, but now, with what I'm dealing with, it might not be up until Monday the latest. Sorry all.

Anaudus

Smash Rookie
Trying to learn ROB and just want to socialize with some other players. Introduced to Sm4sh recently as a whole and want to get to know the community better

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
ROBnWatch!

I thought everyone from the pre release Smashboards had left, I barely come here now because of it.

How are ya?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
ROBnWatch!

I thought everyone from the pre release Smashboards had left, I barely come here now because of it.

How are ya?
Gosh, where have YOU been?!?!?!

I'm doing fine, man. Recently beat EarthBound (had to since Ness is one of my mains now), and did a Robotics class last week. What about you?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
ROBnWatch!

How are ya?
I'm here too man •~•. Got a name change, used to be sboles

Top Bottom