• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Home of the ROBSquad - R.O.B. Social Thread

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Not much, playing Smash, recently got Partners in Time on virtual console and its been years since I've played it.

What did you think of the R.O.B. cameos in Majora's Mask 3D and kinda Star Fox Zero (a new robot looks similar too him)

I'm here too man •~•. Got a name change, used to be sboles
Huh, Thought you were gone.

I have to admit, one of the main reasons I don't visit this part anymore is because its mostly gameplay and competitive discussion. I've never been that much on competitive smash and simply prefer talking about the character itself.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Not much, playing Smash, recently got Partners in Time on virtual console and its been years since I've played it.

What did you think of the R.O.B. cameos in Majora's Mask 3D and kinda Star Fox Zero (a new robot looks similar too him)

I have to admit, one of the main reasons I don't visit this part anymore is because its mostly gameplay and competitive discussion. I've never been that much on competitive smash and simply prefer talking about the character itself.
Good to hear from you again. Ya, it's mostly competitive stuff nowadays, but I like the small general R.O.B. side talks that still pop up.

The cameos are always nice to see. It's like Nintendo can't let go of R.O.B.. He's got cameos in so many of Nintendo's game series, and he's a full-fledged playable, fighting character in Smash. Makes me wonder, could we see another real life R.O.B. soon (other than his Amiibo)? I dunno, maybe I'm getting my hopes up. Lol.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209

This is the competitive smash bros forum. Competitive discussion is why this site exists.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
This is the competitive smash bros forum. Competitive discussion is why this site exists.
But...where's the site for the casuals?!?!?!

Lol, kidding. I'm actually starting to get a bit into competitive, but I don't need to win any MAJOR tournaments to know I'm a good Smasher. Just some small stuff near my area.

Last edited:

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
I just wish ROB got some nice and crispy Ike buffs next patch.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Me too. I think ROB's up throw needs to be buffed back to how it was before. It didn't kill at ridiculous percents and nobody complained about it being jank. So why was it nerfed?
Because...

Sakurai logic.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
I assume it was nerfed because of the coming of Mewtwo. ROB had the strongest up throw pre mewtwo and as soon as mewtwo came he had strongest up throw. But now they gave ROBs up throw to Charizard.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I assume it was nerfed because of the coming of Mewtwo. ROB had the strongest up throw pre mewtwo and as soon as mewtwo came he had strongest up throw. But now they gave ROBs up throw to Charizard.
I guess poor Charizard needs it. But ROB (even though better than Charizard tier list wise) is probably played less than Charizard so I think they should both have it. :(

Furret24

Smash Master
Me too. I think ROB's up throw needs to be buffed back to how it was before. It didn't kill at ridiculous percents and nobody complained about it being jank. So why was it nerfed?
You can't even argue that it's too powerful either. Ness' B-Throw kills at 100% and Sonic's used to KO before 120%.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So...anyone got any helpful hints at how I can get a Japanese red and white R.O.B. amiibo instead of a dull American gray and white one? Any place/website I should go to get one?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
So...anyone got any helpful hints at how I can get a Japanese red and white R.O.B. amiibo instead of a dull American gray and white one? Any place/website I should go to get one?
Amazon. EBay if desperate.

On a side note: Was anyone here playing For Glory under the name "Bez" or something like that? Red R.O.B? We had some good matches.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Amazon. EBay if desperate.

On a side note: Was anyone here playing For Glory under the name "Bez" or something like that? Red R.O.B? We had some good matches.
Cool, thanks. I found a website listing other places I could get one, but I didn't recognize any of the sites it listed.

Last edited:

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
But...where's the site for the casuals?!?!?!

Lol, kidding. I'm actually starting to get a bit into competitive, but I don't need to win any MAJOR tournaments to know I'm a good Smasher. Just some small stuff near my area.
It's called r/smashbros. (/sarcasm)
So it looks like people are finally doing stuff again here now that massive tournament season's over. I swear that there was like 1 new post anywhere here each day during EVO. It's good that we're finally doing stuff again.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey, let's all try and help R.O.B. and Mega Man take down Villager and Olimar for the current Conquest.

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
Hey, let's all try and help R.O.B. and Mega Man take down Villager and Olimar for the current Conquest.
I almost completely forgot they were a thing.
Let's hope the 2 ROB players and 3 Megaman players on FG help us here, because I'm never going back to that hellhole.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don't go on FG, but I'm a pretty dominant R.O.B. player on FF. At least, against most of the people I've played on there.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I tend to use R.O.B. a lot on FG doubles so there's that.

Speaking of which, my cousin told me that thanks to me he knows how to use R.O.B. somewhat. I guess he's learned from fighting and watching me and he gets to use the gyro a lot thanks to team attack being off in FG dubs. I doubt he'll pick the character up but if Random gives him R.O.B. he can actually do things.

Breadbot

Smash Cadet
Playasia, I see a "japan edition" tab on most amiibos on amazon, that could get you one

However, theres also amazon jp and yahoo auctions, which are Japanese only sites, you can buy from them if you sign up for this forwarding service called tenso (buyee if you use yahoo auctions) which will ship them to you, but beware the shipping is a bit pricey
I'd only go here if youre super desperate

(also I have the playasia ROB bookmarked if any of you bots want the link so you can stalk this guy until he goes on sale http://www.play-asia.com/amiibo-super-smash-bros-series-figure-r-o-b/13/708wst)

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Playasia, I see a "japan edition" tab on most amiibos on amazon, that could get you one

However, theres also amazon jp and yahoo auctions, which are Japanese only sites, you can buy from them if you sign up for this forwarding service called tenso (buyee if you use yahoo auctions) which will ship them to you, but beware the shipping is a bit pricey
I'd only go here if youre super desperate

(also I have the playasia ROB bookmarked if any of you bots want the link so you can stalk this guy until he goes on sale http://www.play-asia.com/amiibo-super-smash-bros-series-figure-r-o-b/13/708wst)
Sweet, thanks.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
OMG GUYS! WE COMPLETELY FORGOT!!! YESTERDAY WAS R.O.B.'s ANNIVERSARY/BIRTHDAY!!!

It might be late, but we can still celebrate!!!

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
So I've been playing Smash 4 here and there since it came out, but just recently I've been playing a lot. I've always mained Diddy and subbed ROB, but with all the Diddy changes I decided to go full ROB and I'm having incredible results. From just playing in For Glory to entering Smash 4 for ****s and giggles when I'm at a fighting game tournament and then placing unexpectedly well.

I honestly think this game is garbage, but the fact that kids get mad salty because they can't deal with ROB's projectile game is the only reason I still play. I honestly can't fathom how people can play this game and not play ROB, he's the only fun character in the game imo.

Anyway, with all that said, after 10 months of the game being out I finally feel like learning some of the more practical stuff. Pretty much everything I know about ROB I've learned on my own, but after watching some footage there are some things I can't figure out. Specifically, how you guys do those rapid spurts on ROB's up-b.

What's the general consensus on ROB's viability on these boards? Solid character? Top 15? Terrible?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The rapid spurts are simply from activating the move and then tapping either the special button or the up button repeatedly (I think). In terms of viability, I think R.O.B. would be placed in the top 15 this time around. He's got a lot of things that make him viable, including an awesome zoning game. Overall I'd say not only is R.O.B. very fun to play, but the changes made from Brawl to now also make him more fun to watch, drawing more attention to the character.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
R.O.B. is a beauty in FG dubs <3 having one of the only two piercing projectiles (the other going to Robin's Thoron) in the vanilla game completely ****s on a lot of tactics people try on there such as Link or Falco pressing b while a Mac or Falcon run after you. Gyro forces air approaches most of the time and your partner can use it freely thanks to no team attack. Heck, the lasers alone are good on that mode, they can hit and flinch both opponents, be angled, set up for kills (last night my cousin got a knee of justice kill off of one of my lasers) and they can save your partners life (same match as the knee combo, I saved him from a Bowsercide by shooting Bowser before he went below the ledge). I've caused so many teams to completely ignore my cousin because of what a nuisance R.O.B. can be and many teams have left because they can't beat us xD

As for tier placement...top 15? :4sheik::rosalina::4luigi::4pikachu::4yoshi::4sonic::4fox::4mario::4ness::4villager::4falcon::4diddy::4zss:...Huh, yeah I guess he could make top 15 since that's only 13 characters that I think are considered clearly better than R.O.B. :4pit::4darkpit::4olimar::4wario: and MAYBE :4feroy: are debatably better but I'm personally iffy on the first 4 (only really listed them due to Zero's tier list) and :4feroy: is just the best dlc character we've gotten, might not actually be better. My personal bias also makes me wanna say :4metaknight:is better than R.O.B. but regardless of how good he is, he's fun and viable which is good enough for me. Didn't bother listing :4miibrawl: cuz that character is strictly a problem in customs.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
And yet, of all those characters, the only ones that I can do really great with are Killager and Ness. I'm alright with a few others up there though, but if I ever go to a tournament I'd feel safest using my top 5.

Also, those 13, some of them I've got different opinions on because A. I'm not much of a competitive player and B. I think there's a few of them up there that R.O.B. could probably beat.

Also, online in FF Teams, I did a misinput Arm Rotor and ended up killing a Villager when he tried to drop a bowling ball on me!!!:chuckle:

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
If I ever go to tournaments, I'll be using :4kirby::4metaknight: and :4rob: mostly with a little bit of :4dedede: and :4myfriends: possibly too. I can use :4sheik::rosalina::4falcon::4pikachu: and :4fox: a bit and I'm considering learning :4diddy: since he's less braindead of a character but my skill mostly lies in the first 3 characters I mentioned. I would say I can use :4mario: since he's been a character I've used in every other game but he's so braindead boring in this game that I outright refuse to use him.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
No, Mario's just boring in general. A bunch of punches, kicks, and fire. It's gotten kinda old...

As for my top 5...(my personal tier lists are never based on the actual ones)

1.:4rob:
2.:4gaw:
3.:4greninja:
4.:4villager:
5.:4ness:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
No, Mario's just boring in general. A bunch of punches, kicks, and fire. It's gotten kinda old...

As for my top 5...(my personal tier lists are never based on the actual ones)

1.:4rob:
2.:4gaw:
3.:4greninja:
4.:4villager:
5.:4ness:
I've liked Mario in 64, Melee, Brawl and P:M but this game, his entire playstyle just looks like 'throw fireball, run behind and grab, dthrow to utilt and then repeat but with bthrow until win, rinse and repeat for every stock' with very little variety. He was never like that in the other games to my knowledge and if he was, it wasn't as viable :/

I guess I've already mentioned my top 5 by mentioning :4kirby::4metaknight::4rob::4dedede: and :4myfriends: but I consider myself good enough with :4ganondorf: to add him with the bunch...I just don't see what he would add for me in a tournament that the other 5 can't do better. :4littlemac::4feroy: and :4falcon: are getting up there too.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I wonder how the first official tier list is going to look. Hopefully we get R.O.B. in the top 20 at least, or better of course. I'm interested to see where the rest of my mains are too. I hope they're all in top 30, but with G&W, I dunno where he'll end up. The other 4 should end up higher though, probably near 20 or higher.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Will be hard to make a tier list when the game changes slightly every two months. I can see Kirby being mid, MK being upper mid or high, R.O.B. being mid, D3 being low, Ike low or mid and Ganon low. As for your mains, G&W I can see being low or mid although I'm incredibly ignorant of what that character can or can't do, Greninja I can see being mid, upper mid at that, Villager high or possibly top and Ness the same although with him I'm leaning towards top and R.O.B. I already mentioned since I use him too.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, G&W is in a pickle right now, so hopefully he can get some needed buffs sometime soon. Although people on the G&W boards have been talking about how Zero said something like G&W could be mid-tier so there's that. But ya, the rest of my mains look like they'll end up in the top half of the tier list.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Finally, my Iwata drawing (though super late) is complete:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Nice drawing but I think that you could have saved time by drawing only R.O.B.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Nice drawing but I think that you could have saved time by drawing only R.O.B.
I could have, but I wanted to get all my mains in there, even the one (two) that didn't make it in Smash 4. It seemed better that way.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I would think this is an alright place to do so. Unfortunately I only have the Wii U version so we can't battle. :(

Top Bottom