• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Holy crap japan... haha wow.

Looper

Smash Journeyman
it only looks like lightning brawl because they're using two of the fastest characters in the game, and they are both being aggressive

Bud

Smash Journeyman
they just didnt sit around crying when brawl came out and didnt whine that camping is the best strategy. They are just playing, like me and my friends do, not worrying about the bull****. I play fast brawl so this kinda looks slow to me. However this is not OMFG 10x better, they are just playing smash not the cry cry cry version we have become so accustomed too.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Ok, idiots, time to **** this thread.

Anyone who gets the idea that Japanese players are better than the US players is ignorant. Anyone who thinks US players are better than Japanese players is ignorant. Because of the difference in playstyles in every INDIVIDUAL player, we might judge certain Japanese players as great and start stereotyping and generalizing from the get-go.

Zentore and Nyosuke are good Fox and Falco players. Really quite good, perhaps better than many of the Fox and Falco players that we have here in America. Yes, that much is true. KameKasu's vids usually have only high level Japanese players, like those from the Kansai battle ranking tournaments. That should say something about how good these two players are. And from what I've seen, they're diverse, they don't just use Fox and Falco.

Both players are aggressive, but that doesn't mean they're leaving themselves open a lot. I do see a lot of fine spacing here, like with Falco's reflectors and Fox's dash shff's.

And if you guys had any experience in aggressive play in Brawl, you would know that there are a lot of holes... but people don't catch all of them. Holes in aggression are hard to catch in Brawl. I happen to main Sheik and I do random dash attacks all the time, and they connect. The thing is, defensive play in Brawl can also be very risky. Just because you're air dodging and rolling all the time doesn't mean someone can catch you with a quick move. There are vulnerability frames between everything (like landing after an air dodge, or frames inside a roll) where you can be hit. These two players are playing fast because they choose to, and it tests their reaction skills to play fast. What else would you expect from people trying to play Fox and Falco well? They're fast characters.

So yeah, the players are good. But to watch a single match which looks pretty fast, and make the generalization that American players suck compared to it... just because we like to play Snake and DDD? That is ********.

In my opinion, even if you people think Azen and M2K are boring... I still think it's impressive to watch precise play. Yes, the chain grabs and everything are repetitive, but if they've made it to a big tournament finals, that means they're worth watching, because they are better than everyone else. I have no doubt that boring, campy playstyles are just as effective as safe, aggressive ones. We just haven't seen a lot of them facing each other, because aggressive play is rare in the US. That's fine.

Do not make blind comparisons between American and Japanese players unless they play against each other.

And do not make generalizations about a country's players.

How would you feel if the Japanese generalized us as "American players" if they saw a match between HugS and Forte? Completely different styles, completely different coast. It's ********.

However, I guess it's in our nature to make ******** generalizations. Whatever.

Don't be idiots. Individual players are all different, whatever the country. With all the videos of I.T.P. and Void... how come no one has said something about Israeli players? They're 100x better than Americans.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
they dont trip. i saw a good japan marth player and he must of dashed 100 times and not a trip. ill see if i can get the vid.

also their foxes do a slide when landing from their arials. they move a bit quicker. mostly because they know how BRAWL fox/falcon/ vets characters are supose to be played in brawl. u just cant try the stuff in melee it wont always work here in brawl. im starting to like brawl a little more than melee even if it takes an hour to drop from a short hop. but check out this vid. starting to look good.

suzuki brawl

Smash Journeyman
just that??? you get impressed with just that?i don't know what i'm doing in this forum

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's really not that impressive. It might be for those who don't play Brawl much or on a low level. They're not bad, but they're not really OMFGBBQ either. I watched the same people play Marth and Peach and wow, that Peach was just so weird... and missed a lot of fundamentals.

And really, exactly what do they do that's so friggin' impressive? Spacing? Check. Timing? Check. And?

the truth is that japan players are alot more honorable then noob american players. THEY DONT PLAY GAY. They actually try to be creative and dont just spam. They've always been like that. Even in melee. They have, whats the word im looking for, honor.
Unless there's money involved. Even the Japanese eventually succumbed to chaingrabbing.

acv

Smash Journeyman
i think maybe IF they are better prbably because they spent more time playing than complaining about brawl,discussing melee vs brawl,crying because of "overpowered" characters,asking who they should main and discussing what ssb4 would be like.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Okay, everyone who's saying people here in the US are whining about camping, etc. and therefore must be bad at Brawl must not have seen how this game is played at the current top US level. They aren't whining, they're applying their belief that campy/defensive/not aggressive play is the strongest style in Brawl, and guess what? They're winning.

Just because people are winning by by camping and not playing aggressive doesn't mean they're whining about the game, it just means they find it to be a much more successful strategy. >_>

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Us americans are used to playing WoW or halo 3. now i am not saying YOU guys do, but most japanese players pick up fighters faster than we do. Cause every good fighter that has ever came out has come from Japan's *******.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
this is definitely either heavy mode, lightning mode. or both

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Ok, idiots, time to **** this thread.

Anyone who gets the idea that Japanese players are better than the US players is ignorant. Anyone who thinks US players are better than Japanese players is ignorant. Because of the difference in playstyles in every INDIVIDUAL player, we might judge certain Japanese players as great and start stereotyping and generalizing from the get-go.

Zentore and Nyosuke are good Fox and Falco players. Really quite good, perhaps better than many of the Fox and Falco players that we have here in America. Yes, that much is true. KameKasu's vids usually have only high level Japanese players, like those from the Kansai battle ranking tournaments. That should say something about how good these two players are. And from what I've seen, they're diverse, they don't just use Fox and Falco.

Both players are aggressive, but that doesn't mean they're leaving themselves open a lot. I do see a lot of fine spacing here, like with Falco's reflectors and Fox's dash shff's.

And if you guys had any experience in aggressive play in Brawl, you would know that there are a lot of holes... but people don't catch all of them. Holes in aggression are hard to catch in Brawl. I happen to main Sheik and I do random dash attacks all the time, and they connect. The thing is, defensive play in Brawl can also be very risky. Just because you're air dodging and rolling all the time doesn't mean someone can catch you with a quick move. There are vulnerability frames between everything (like landing after an air dodge, or frames inside a roll) where you can be hit. These two players are playing fast because they choose to, and it tests their reaction skills to play fast. What else would you expect from people trying to play Fox and Falco well? They're fast characters.

So yeah, the players are good. But to watch a single match which looks pretty fast, and make the generalization that American players suck compared to it... just because we like to play Snake and DDD? That is ********.

In my opinion, even if you people think Azen and M2K are boring... I still think it's impressive to watch precise play. Yes, the chain grabs and everything are repetitive, but if they've made it to a big tournament finals, that means they're worth watching, because they are better than everyone else. I have no doubt that boring, campy playstyles are just as effective as safe, aggressive ones. We just haven't seen a lot of them facing each other, because aggressive play is rare in the US. That's fine.

Do not make blind comparisons between American and Japanese players unless they play against each other.

And do not make generalizations about a country's players.

How would you feel if the Japanese generalized us as "American players" if they saw a match between HugS and Forte? Completely different styles, completely different coast. It's ********.

However, I guess it's in our nature to make ******** generalizations. Whatever.

Don't be idiots. Individual players are all different, whatever the country. With all the videos of I.T.P. and Void... how come no one has said something about Israeli players? They're 100x better than Americans.

=ArtH=

Smash Apprentice
I'm really glad not everyone thinks those guys are amazing because I almost lost complete faith in smashboards before I got to page 4.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah can't you tell? How he keeps trying to get at the Falco who keeps SDL to Dash~>Usmashing?
How he stays int he air so much?
Obviously campy.
I mean really how is Falco gonna combat such a ag-campy kirby.

*head esplodes*
As opposed to Falco, who was constantly run-away laser camping, which pretty much forced Kirby to air camp? Also, since when does Falco have a problem going after aircampers?

RBNuke

Smash Apprentice
I don't get it. It looks like they're still playing melee. It's fun to watch, and the whole down-air thing fox does is provenly great still in brawl, but the fact that they're moving really fast doesn't mean much. They tried that against a snake they'd get reverse curb-stomped into the ceiling.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
Why do I think this is secretly a Melee vs Brawl thread?

Do Japan players have holes in the game because they play fast or do they have holes in their game despite the fact they play fast? In other words does their speed cause their faults?

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
I thought the fight was good. Maybe not amazing but your being stuck up if your saying it just plain sucked or your snake could ftilt 0 death them...

Glad to see these players actually use the AT "Short Hopping" why has everyone stopped doing that? Thats really the "speed" difference. A lot of idiot brawl players cant even short hop consistently and float around with full jumps which are painfully floaty and slow.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Granted, the Japanese do play differently then the Westerners (based on my observations anyway) I don't think they are "better" either. I mean, if you really break down what they were doing in the video, there isn't anything an experienced brawler can't handle IMO. I may not be amazing at this game, but i didn't see anything i didn't already see anything i couldn't handle (based on the Space Animals i have fought in the past anyways).

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
What does it say about our community's skill at this game that some people actually think THIS is lightning mode.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
[I would've posted this way earlier(about 3 hours) but I have to leave so don't go calling me captain obvious for stuff already stated]

I found that match VERY entertaining.

True that they played real aggressively and walked into many set ups and attacked each other more.

The thing that struck me was this

Both of them are running into obvious set-ups and don't even seem to care. Maybe that's why Western smash matches are so boring. We DO care.
they run into a lot of set ups...and they don't care. That has a lot to do with just their play-style.
That fact that they don't care is what made the match more fun. Flashy I'll admit with many mistakes visible but entertaining.

But lets not brush that off. Aggressive players are also not to be taken lightly because even that is tough to brush off if your being hunted all over and getting screwed left and right.

But as many others have stated, japanese players are not ten times better than us and vice-versa.

Top Bottom