• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Holding the Controller

genus

Smash Rookie
I'm finding Doc to be a cool character, but I haven't really found a comfortable way to hold the controller that lets me cstick aerials, pillspam, shorthop, and wavedash...how does everyone else hold the controller? Do you use a single position, or do you move the hand not anchored to the control stick around as needed? Pictures greatly appreciated.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
yeah. I just hold the controller normally.

Just use the button over A to jump--so you can slide from that to B to do double pills easier, though using either one is easily possible. In fact use whichever one that is to jump, WD and all--it's imo easier than using the one off to the side on the right.

genus

Smash Rookie
Hm...so what is 'normal position'?

Is left index finger on L for wavedashing/shielding/L canceling, right middle finger on Z for dashgrabs, right ring finger on Y/X/A/B for jumping/other stuff, right thumb for c sticking?

Sorry if my question seems obvious, but this information isn't really written down somewhere...or at least anywhere I've looked.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
just hold it normally i.e. how you would for any other gamecube game. left forefinger on L and right forefinger on R. I actually have my right forefinger on Z and my right middle finger on R but thats just preference.

kook321

Smash Apprentice
yea i also wonder if there are different ways of holding the controller i.e. i heard mew2king sometimes claws at his for certain moves b/c its faster but sounds awkward

Chris7x

Smash Cadet
Hmm.. I play a little differently. The side of my right pointer finger is used to press x and my thumb is (most of the time) on the cstick. I move thumb to y whenever I do jc chaingrabs. and I can move my hands quickly enough for wavedashing/techs/shielding with the right pointer finger and my thumb goes on x. Its REALLY difficult to explain so I'll try to get an image up.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Hmm.. I play a little differently. The side of my right pointer finger is used to press x and my thumb is (most of the time) on the cstick. I move thumb to y whenever I do jc chaingrabs. and I can move my hands quickly enough for wavedashing/techs/shielding with the right pointer finger and my thumb goes on x. Its REALLY difficult to explain so I'll try to get an image up.
Basically, you use a modified claw. Or, that's what i got from reading that.

yea i also wonder if there are different ways of holding the controller i.e. i heard mew2king sometimes claws at his for certain moves b/c its faster but sounds awkward

Alphazealot posted on one of the RSTs that Mew2king plays with a normal grip most of the times, and if he's going to JC upsmash with fox (it might be JC in general, i cant remember), m2k switches to claw and uses Y+cstick to JC.

Makes more sense, it's more precise, faster, and safer to JC that way. I do it like that whenever i play fox (Which is rare. My Kirby is better than my fox; seriously)

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
people have different styles of how they hold the controller and perform the moves on the controller.

You just have to find your own style honestly. Nobody can tell you whats best for you because its YOU whose going to be holding the controller.

Roman.

Smash Champion
I hold it normally. Left index for shielding/teching. Right thumb for a, b, c-stick, and I use x to jump. I only wavedash/waveland with R and I use my right index finger.

kook321

Smash Apprentice
i know its a little off topic but do most people use the cstick for smash attacks and arerials

Top Bottom