• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

His World* Sonic Moveset Analysis/Speculation Thread *UPDATED 9/14/14*

Status
Not open for further replies.

infomon

Smash Scientist
For people asking about VSDJ and our other stupid Sonic acronyms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ34M-Bdo6k

(Still relevant in 20XX? yeaaa!)

VSDJ is Vertical Spindash Jump. i.e. While you're charging side-B or down-B, you hit the Jump button (or tap up, even with tap-jump turned off I think), you'll do a spindash jump that starts by going straight up. It has all the same properties as if you were spindashing along the ground and then jump.

In Smash4, the mechanics might be different, but at least in the E3 demo it was super interesting. The spindash jumps let you stay in the spindash and keep jumping around in a ball indefinitely. I'm pretty hopeful that some interesting useful stuff will come out of this, however unlikely.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Dair landing hit? Cooool. How's the meteor smash hitbox for the dair and how long is it out for?

Glad SideB shield cancel stayed from the demo.

:093:

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Yea theres a landing dair hit it seems and the hitbox seems to be at the foot and it last on about as a bit shorter than the old horizontal hit it did in brawl from what i saw.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I know some sonic main out there had a Japanese 3ds and is able to stream.. Get to it already! You can just feel the urge in these forums to analyze everything from combo ability to how fast sonic blinks.

Sonicrida

Smash Cadet
So I'm still scrub status but I got the 3rd neutral and down b. Homing attack seems to stay low to the ground and come out a lot faster in a low arc if there is a target, otherwise it goes straight up. Down-b I'm not really sure how to describe it but it seems like it gets a lot more hits in and I can do a move like the up air out of it almost effortlessly compared to the regular spin charge.

Edit: I have the 2nd spin charge, not the 3rd.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I may be in the minority on this, but when I noticed a streamer playing Sonic 2 days ago, I felt his D-smash was resembling to Brawl Sonic's D-smash, & not the splitskick we know of from the demo. Can someone tell me whether or not I'm insayian?
I need to be corrected or justified on this

Last edited:

Sonicrida

Smash Cadet
Just got a spin dash that jumps really high up and slightly horizontal before taking off. It's really fast too. I'll take pics in a sec.

Sonicrida

Smash Cadet
Here's a video of the side b I was talking about. I'll try to get more up ASAP.

Edit: Forgot to add percentages! I'll get those in the next vid! Sorry guys.

Last edited:

Misinko

Smash Cadet
It looks kinda like the bounce attack and the spindash mixed into one. Honestly, it kinda looks stupid to me. I understand it's a custom move, but still, there's much better options to choose from.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Masonomace Masonomace yeah man! I'm happy too. Here's another SA2 reference!

This is Sonic's 3rd Spin Dash. It doesn't have a hop like the others and it seems to have a sweetspot on it too. It's also on fire like with this item http://info.sonicretro.org/Flame_Ring. I recorded %s in the video this time as well.

Oh my Hotness! Literally!
Damn, that is definitely some Flame Ring referencing, or even the Story Book series perhaps, Crest of Fire from SatSR makes that believable imo, since the Crest of Fire in Secret Rings made you emit pulsing Flame each second you run. Love the mix. I know there's only 2 variations along with the default special, but was there anymore variations to choose from?

Sonicrida

Smash Cadet
Here's the 3rd Homing Attack

It has a low arc and fast startup. I don't do it in the video but I tried an up throw on rosalina when she was !40-50% and it went all the way up and hit her really quickly. It seems like you can't use it like that at low or high %s though. The range is high and it just goes up a bit if you have no target.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Here's the 3rd Homing Attack

It has a low arc and fast startup. I don't do it in the video but I tried an up throw on rosalina when she was !40-50% and it went all the way up and hit her really quickly. It seems like you can't use it like that at low or high %s though. The range is high and it just goes up a bit if you have no target.
I dig this. Now I see what kid craft 24/sonic master was talking about.

For the most part in this video, it appears Sonic's 3rd Homing Attack is so fast along with Homing Attack's start-up speed buffed anyways.

Have you tried doing Homing Cancels? Homing Attack done in less than .5 seconds confirmed??:shades:

Last edited:

Sonicrida

Smash Cadet
I dig this. Now I see what kid craft 24/sonic master was talking about.

For the most part in this video, it appears Sonic's 3rd Homing Attack is so fast along with Homing Attack's start-up speed buffed anyways.

Have you tried doing Homing Cancels? Homing Attack done in less than .5 seconds confirmed??:shades:
i don't know how to homing cancel :O

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
i don't know how to homing cancel :O
In Brawl, Homing Cancel is you pressing B to activate the Homing Attack.

Homing Cancel is when you press B again in mid-charge-to-arc-homing attack. Basically you're shortening the time it takes to Home onto someone.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Does sonic have a custom Down B that sends his spin dash straight down that has a meteor effect? Figured he would get the bounce attack though that 2nd custom side B kind of act like one. also anything on his custom Up-B?

Sonicrida

Smash Cadet
The second spin charge. Maybe somebody else can figure this one out because I'm really not sure what the difference is. I feel like this one has more momentum? It also applies a burning effect when landing a hit from the air and it feels like it's easier to do an aerial after. Maybe a good way to get a bair in?

@ kid craft 24/sonic master kid craft 24/sonic master Nope. No specials besides the second spring.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
did you try using that spin charge starting from the air? it might behave differently. I have a feeling one of these spin attacks has some type of armor property to it.

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
just jump and try charging and releasing the move in the air instead of on the ground and see what it does. sonic's spin attacks were known to behave differently in the air and on the ground atleast in brawl.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
These look sweet!
That's a lot of spindash variations! O_o

QUESTION!

Anybody tried these on the air?
I'd like to make sure we're not missing stuff like.. say, bounce attack or something. :p

Sonicrida

Smash Cadet
just jump and try charging and releasing the move in the air instead of on the ground and see what it does. sonic's spin attacks were known to behave differently in the air and on the ground atleast in brawl.
On it.

Just got the last two moves. Will post both soon!

Edit: Just kidding apparently I didn't. Unlocking custom moves is annoying....

Last edited:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Judging by the videos, the only move I see myself using is the Double Spring (how could I forget about that?).

That HA#3 seems to work just like Brawl's, which sucks in comparison to the new standard HA.

I don't see any advantages of using the modified SC and SD if they make your SDJ incredibly low like that. However, if that's the new SDJ height for all moves, then maybe I'll consider testing them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom