• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

His World* Sonic Moveset Analysis/Speculation Thread *UPDATED 9/14/14*

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
You might also want to add that both sonic's Up B and Side B snap to the ledge like normal Up-B moves do, whether that remained in the final build we aren't sure of yet but these were things many sonic mains saw in the E3 build. Also people can now spring up with sonic when he is performing an aerial Up-B this could be useful in teams for assist your partner in recoveries.

Also for custom moveset potential i'd put the bounce attack down for down B could work that if your in the air it drops you downward and bounce off opponents and if your on the ground simply roll you forward until you hit something then bounce you off it like homing attack.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
You might also want to add that both sonic's Up B and Side B snap to the ledge like normal Up-B moves do, whether that remained in the final build we aren't sure of yet but these were things many sonic mains saw in the E3 build. Also people can now spring up with sonic when he is performing an aerial Up-B this could be useful in teams for assist your partner in recoveries.

Also for custom moveset potential i'd put the bounce attack down for down B could work that if your in the air it drops you downward and bounce off opponents and if your on the ground simply roll you forward until you hit something then bounce you off it like homing attack.
What do you mean snap to ledges?

Found one of Sonic's Grabs in this famistu scan can someone translate im curious to what it says about Classic Sonic at the bottom corner.

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
Man, I just want the game to come out already so we can test him out for ourselves.

Also is it known if you can still DI through Sonic's Fair? I would be so happy if that was removed.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
So I just got until Thursday to get Custom Moveset and Alt. Costume done. Until more stuff comes from the game JP release.
GET HYPED!!!!!!!

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
So I couldn't think of any ideas for Neutral Specials. So im going to move on to Alts today I know you guys want to see my take on it.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Well. . .I have a few questions @ Skyfox2000 Skyfox2000

First, you explain a term / acronym for Sonic's Side Special Spin Dash called vsdj or VSDJ along with VSDJSC. I'm aware that SC = Shield Cancel, but what is the V in VSDJ? V_____ Spin Dash Jump?

Also, E3's demo of Sonic involving his D-tilt in his reveal trailer he does it which launches them vertically up for him to follow-up with U-tilt. However Zipzo's analysis of Sonic's D-tilt is it knocks them away aka horizontal launch. This is truly a bummer if it's just for footsies & knocks them away. It bodes well for Sonic however since it gives Sonic the perfect opportunity to Spin Dmash or Spin Charge & we make the next move based on how they react by either:

Bulletin / Their reaction
Our next move / option
  • They Wake-up attack :GCA: OR :GCB:
  • They Wake-up without attack aka pointing :GCU:
  • They Roll away :GCL: or :GCR:
  • Tech in place with :GCLT: or :GCRT:
  • They Tech roll with :GCLT: or:GCRT: with a secondary input of tech rolling :GCL: or :GCR:
  • They DI :GCU: enough to AirDodge mid-air either near the landing to take their own punishment of AirDodges new landing lag
  • They DI :GCD: to slide across the pavement stage not teching. This reaction seems the easiest chase to punish since Sonic Mains will have the fast reaction timing & hand-eye coordination to know how to punish this ground sliding situation.
  • They DI away :GCL: or :GCR: away to be farther from you making you commit to chasing them or not. Very common DI input vs Brawl MK when he would D-throw you.
So really, the D-tilt option opens up more tech chasing game, but depends if you have that aspect down. If you don't, you'll get plenty of practice doing it with D-tilt.
Here's the throws if you were still looking for them:
3 months ago:
>Back Throw< Remains the same
>Down Throw< He doesn't get the final hit to show how they're launched, but it's animation remains the same.
>Forward Throw< Remains the same
>Up Throw< in a different video, remains unchanged

Alternate palette ideas excluding costumes, I'd throw in:
  • Green = resemble
    A.) Manic the Hedgehog (very doubtful)
    B.) Scourge the Hedgehog (doubtful)
    C.) Jet the Hawk (likely)
    D.) Vector the Crocodile (surprisingly likely)
    E.) The Green Hover wisp from Colors & Lost World (likely)
  • Black = resemble
    A.) Shadow the Hedgehog (very likely)
    B.) Mephiles the Dark (not very likely)
    C.) No one else except that Black bomb wisp from Lost World (not likely, his wristbands would be the black bombs for reference)
  • Red = resemble A.) Knuckles the Echidna (very likely)
    B.) Dr. Eggman (likely in some way)
    C.) E-123 Omega (a bit likely in some way)
    D.) The Crimson Eagle wisp from Lost World (somewhat likely in whatever way)
  • Pink / Magenta = resembles A.) Amy the Hedgehog (very likely)
    B.) Blaze the Cat (very likely)
    C.) Sonia the Hedgehog (very doubtful)
    D.) Wave the Swallow (surprisingly likely for her pink flames on her extreme gear)
    E.) The Pink Spikes wisp or the Magenta Rhythm wisp (spikes can be on the wristbands if they're pink, Idk how to explain the Magenta Rhythm design to originate in Sonic's palette)
  • Orange / Yellow = A.) Miles "Tails" Prower (very likely)
    B.) Cream the Rabbit (likely-ish)
    C.) Charmy the Bee (barely likely)
    D.) The Yellow Drill wisp or the Orange Rocket wisp (likely, maybe very likely)

Last edited:

Misinko

Smash Cadet
Ugh, I'm gonna hate Sonic's down - smash. It was great in Brawl, and fine in PM, why change it? I'd rather Sonic have more range, not less. I'm rather fine with Sonic not having Wisp powers, because he's not really known for them (like Megaman or Link are), although having the boost as his side-b would be a welcome change for Sonic, even if it would remove an aspect of for mind games. I do love his taunts, however, yet I will absolutely not sit through him saying "Super Sonic Style" for his side taunt. If it's an option, I'm going to switch to his Japanese voice. I do love his up-taunt though, it looks really good with his model.

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
he says "Super Sonic Style" when he uses his final smash and says "Sonic Speed" for his side taunt. Also while sonic's Dsmash had deceptive range in brawl it has slow startup making the move inferior as a KO option compared to Fsmash given that move took 1 frame more to come out but had better range and KO power.

With this new Dsmash he now has a very quick Dsmash that while not having better range that his old one can be used much more reliably than before. I feel it's going to end up being his most used Smash attack although it is weaker than Fsmash.

As far as him having the sonic boost that could just end up being one of his custom moves for side B where it functions like spin dash except he doesn't curl up into a ball and he can't turn around with it and simply runs forward a set distance and can jump if he uses it on the ground.

Misinko

Smash Cadet
Sonic has enough fast-hitting attacks, he needs more range. If I want fast, I'm gonna use a spindash or a tilt. Sonic doesn't have any reliable attacks with range, and while his down - smash wasn't perfect, it was a good start.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
18 frame startup isn't good for a Dsmash attack of someone whos suppose to be fast. Especially when compared to characters like MK who have a frame 3 down smash or mario who has a frame 6 Dsmash. Sonic's moves also may seem fast but they actually have considerable startup compared to other characters. Of sonic's fast moves the only i'd only consider on the ground are his Down tilt and jab and Ftilt (which has punishable cooldown and a disjointed hurtbox), and his spin charge and spin dash can be considered "fast" moves but they also lack priority due to low damage on individual hits.

Range is an issue but on that's negligible given his speed as well as his now wider Uair and his safer bair given that now he lunges his torso back farther when he does his bair.

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget that brawl d smash needed to be landed at the first few frames of the hitbox in order to be a KO move. I'll gladly welcome this new d smash when I know what % it kills at. Does anyone know?

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Well. . .I have a few questions @ Skyfox2000 Skyfox2000

First, you explain a term / acronym for Sonic's Side Special Spin Dash called vsdj or VSDJ along with VSDJSC. I'm aware that SC = Shield Cancel, but what is the V in VSDJ? V_____ Spin Dash Jump?

Also, E3's demo of Sonic involving his D-tilt in his reveal trailer he does it which launches them vertically up for him to follow-up with U-tilt. However Zipzo's analysis of Sonic's D-tilt is it knocks them away aka horizontal launch. This is truly a bummer if it's just for footsies & knocks them away. It bodes well for Sonic however since it gives Sonic the perfect opportunity to Spin Dmash or Spin Charge & we make the next move based on how they react by either:

Bulletin / Their reaction
Our next move / option
  • They Wake-up attack :GCA: OR :GCB:
  • They Wake-up without attack aka pointing :GCU:
  • They Roll away :GCL: or :GCR:
  • Tech in place with :GCLT: or :GCRT:
  • They Tech roll with :GCLT: or:GCRT: with a secondary input of tech rolling :GCL: or :GCR:
  • They DI :GCU: enough to AirDodge mid-air either near the landing to take their own punishment of AirDodges new landing lag
  • They DI :GCD: to slide across the pavement stage not teching. This reaction seems the easiest chase to punish since Sonic Mains will have the fast reaction timing & hand-eye coordination to know how to punish this ground sliding situation.
  • They DI away :GCL: or :GCR: away to be farther from you making you commit to chasing them or not. Very common DI input vs Brawl MK when he would D-throw you.
So really, the D-tilt option opens up more tech chasing game, but depends if you have that aspect down. If you don't, you'll get plenty of practice doing it with D-tilt.
Here's the throws if you were still looking for them:
3 months ago:
>Down Throw< He doesn't get the final hit to show how they're launched, but it's animation remains the same.

Alternate palette ideas excluding costumes, I'd throw in:
  • Green = resemble
    A.) Manic the Hedgehog (very doubtful)
    B.) Scourge the Hedgehog (doubtful)
    C.) Jet the Hawk (likely)
    D.) Vector the Crocodile (surprisingly likely)
    E.) The Green Hover wisp from Colors & Lost World (likely)
  • Black = resemble
    A.) Shadow the Hedgehog (very likely)
    B.) Mephiles the Dark (not very likely)
    C.) No one else except that Black bomb wisp from Lost World (not likely, his wristbands would be the black bombs for reference)
  • Red = resemble A.) Knuckles the Echidna (very likely)
    B.) Dr. Eggman (likely in some way)
    C.) E-123 Omega (a bit likely in some way)
    D.) The Crimson Eagle wisp from Lost World (somewhat likely in whatever way)
  • Pink / Magenta = resembles A.) Amy the Hedgehog (very likely)
    B.) Blaze the Cat (very likely)
    C.) Sonia the Hedgehog (very doubtful)
    D.) Wave the Swallow (surprisingly likely for her pink flames on her extreme gear)
    E.) The Pink Spikes wisp or the Magenta Rhythm wisp (spikes can be on the wristbands if they're pink, Idk how to explain the Magenta Rhythm design to originate in Sonic's palette)
  • Orange / Yellow = A.) Miles "Tails" Prower (very likely)
    B.) Cream the Rabbit (likely-ish)
    C.) Charmy the Bee (barely likely)
    D.) The Yellow Drill wisp or the Orange Rocket wisp (likely, maybe very likely)
I nt know what the V stands for @ Scourge The Hedgehog Scourge The Hedgehog requested that I add it.
I like your palettes swaps ideas mind if I add it to my thread?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
For being the fastest character in the game, Sonic's not actually that fast.

Except his ground speed.

Also this thread is still titled "Movest".

:093:

Last edited:

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
His Up Smash and Forward Smash can kill. If his Down Smash can kill just as well... Oh man... Thank you Sakurai!!

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I nt know what the V stands for @ Scourge The Hedgehog Scourge The Hedgehog requested that I add it.
I like your palettes swaps ideas mind if I add it to my thread?
Yeah np. As for the possible color alternate palettes, that's pretty much all I got unless I give you a shoutout for more ideas I come up with.
I also found those videos of Sonic's throws too btw. It was those videos I had hyperlinked in my quote:
Here's the throws if you were still looking for them. They're from 3 months ago:
I'm down to discuss Custom Specials ideas. I noticed you have Light Speed Attack in your DownB custom specials which IMHO is completely necessary & is a mandatory requirement, good job I respect ya even more Skyfox2k~.
One UpB customized spring jump idea can be a catapult in place of the Spring:

This is a catapult model from Generations. Of course it wouldn't have as high vertical recovery as the default Spring jump, in fact the complete trade-off of the amazing horizontal distance it covers, most of the vertical height is sacrificed. However it's horizontal diagonal launch spring effect would boast very well for Sonic's recovery if we're the kind of players who DI high to the corners & live anyways. Think of the extra horizontal option we could have instead of needing to use SideB or DownB, likely risking ourselves of losing our second jump, flying down in an angle doomed to SD. . .This catapult can be an alternative to that common issue. The vertical height despite decreased drastically, you'd have enough height & horizontal momentum flying through the air, that you could buffer any aerial input & wouldn't have a bad landing. Mix-ups are reborn.
  • Grounded while using it, you'd be flung forward with more momentum almost reaching speed of your running or Spin Dash / Charge. You'd be flung in a direction just high enough from the ground to be able to input any aerial & not have bad landing lag. D-air would canceling the forward momentum & you'd fly straight down with landing lag. The catapult's time grounded on the stage doesn't last as long as your Spring jump, so use the limited time wisely for any setups etc. One last point to make is that the catapult would retain the same element as the default spring jump, & that you can press UpB to spawn your catapult right as someone above you lands in that general area. The draw-back to spawning catapult under someone is you have to be more precise with it, getting the right area of the catapult to be on the larger red leverage area in order to launch you both, being a surprise fling off-stage & throwing out an aerial at an early KO %.
  • Airborne while using it, you're flung in which ever direction you choose. As you fling towards a direction, the catapult drops like the spring would, however the catapult having more extra length, it's hit-box is bigger covering more area potentially being an intimidating gimp tool for edge-game. The weight of the catapult & it's knock-back are relatively the same to the Spring Jump, however the draw-back of catapult, because of it's slender size, its turning mid-air falling could possibly miss the opponent you tried to hit. Do not fret, for the most rewarding factor of catapult used offensively off-stage is, the precise timing your catapult moves around, the large red leverage making contact with the foe, he / she is bounced closer or away. This mostly gimps them, putting them in a very awkward position to be off-stage, probably under the stage, or far away from it. Think of it like the purple spring item in Brawl, except the red lip is the specific factor. Used correctly, you can gimp your opponent without needing to hit them!
P.S. There's no somersault flipping around as you jump off it, you just get launched in a diagonal frontward direction. If another fighter runs at a grounded spring & runs over it, the momentum does not alter from any increase or decrease in speed. It's set & always the same angle, distance, & mobility.
Another UpB customized Spring jump Idea can be this Wide Spring aka Long Spring:

This Wide Spring model is from Sonic Heroes & in the games it wasn't impressive other than giving a power core to your characters when pressing all 3 stars. Albeit in this speculation, Sonic gets some weird twists for better or worse. Spring jump is a balance of vertical height & horizontal distance due to your mobility, catapult sacrifices your vertical height for absolute horizontal launching. So what makes Wide Spring jump a viable custom special? First whether Sonic is grounded or airborne, activating the Wide Spring gives him two advantages:
1. Higher vertical recovery, more than Brawl Sonic's Spring jump.
2. An active hit-box lasting for a good portion of the Wide Spring jump, until about halfway does your active hit-box vanish.
Let me explain:
  • Grounded while pressing UpB, your Wide Spring Jump appears instantly shooting you up very high. What's the catch? Catapult gives you a huge boost of horizontal mobility & distance, while the Spring Jump is the in-betweener, but the catch to the Wide Spring jump is your sacrificed horizontal mobility & distance even with DI towards the direction you wish to go. The middle star lights up when you first press UpB to bring it out as you jump high straight up. The height you gain from jumping on the Wide Spring is higher than that of Sonic's regular Spring jump, but again the horizontal mobility would be cut in half. What happens when all 3 stars light up you ask? Answer: when all 3 stars are lit up, the duration time of the Wide Spring lasts 3 seconds longer giving you, or rather anyone else extra time to jump on it. Earlier I mentioned that Sonic gets an active hit-box when he jumps on the middle star right? Others of course can use the Wide Spring & jump on any of the stars on the spring, but the stars will not light up for anyone but Sonic. So every time Sonic lands on a star, the star area lights up & that's what causes Sonic to have an active hit-box launch. It's so-to-speak a "burst" of recovery when jumping on the star bumper areas with Sonic. This means that you can easily trap people under you as they come down from above. Because the height is so high on the Wide Spring you could land a strong U-air sealing a early Star KO. The downfall to that is you could lose the trade persay they react quicker & input an aerial with a faster start-up than yours. When you get launched far off you have no jumps left, DI towards the stage as much as you can then let your Wide Spring jump RIP!
    P.S. You could jump on one star, DI a little forward, then D-air straight down to hit another star to quicken the process in order to keep the Wide Spring out longer.
  • Airborne while using the Wide Spring jump, is very frightening for the other fighters. Spring & catapult are around the same hit-box & knock-back, while the Wide Spring is a lot bigger, wider, & heavier to top it off. It starts falling coming down as you shoot straight up, leaving your Wide Spring behind, with reason. I haven't decided whether I want the Wide Spring to meteor smash foes below Sonic, or it's a moderately strong Spring attack that knocks them away, gimping their recovery unless their recovery rivals that of Brawl MK's recovery. Either or, both situations of the Springs launch power compensate Sonic for killpower for his UpB customized special given his SideB & DownB grant enough horizontal mobility & direction to allow a custom move like Wide Spring to be commonly used. The Wide SPring falling doesn't turn around mid-air, so it's similar to seeing a red brick fall, fast & hard.

• If you're putting in custom specials I'd appreciate if you put my spoilers in your OP as submissions.:shades: Sorry but thank you.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
For being the fastest character in the game, Sonic's not actually that fast.

Except his ground speed.

Also this thread is still titled "Movest".

How's that? Sonic is still faster than Little Mac and Palutena isn't he? oh and *fixed

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
he is referring to attack speed, not movement. As far as movement goes sonic is the fastest but when it comes to how fast moves come out and cooldown his moves are pretty slow.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
he is referring to attack speed, not movement. As far as movement goes sonic is the fastest but when it comes to how fast moves come out and cooldown his moves are pretty slow.
Hence...

"Except his ground speed."

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Yeah np. As for the possible color alternate palettes, that's pretty much all I got unless I give you a shoutout for more ideas I come up with.
I also found those videos of Sonic's throws too btw. It was those videos I had hyperlinked in my quote:

I'm down to discuss Custom Specials ideas. I noticed you have Light Speed Attack in your DownB custom specials which IMHO is completely necessary & is a mandatory requirement, good job I respect ya even more Skyfox2k~.

This is a catapult model from Generations. Of course it wouldn't have as high vertical recovery as the default Spring jump, in fact the complete trade-off of the amazing horizontal distance it covers, most of the vertical height is sacrificed. However it's horizontal diagonal launch spring effect would boast very well for Sonic's recovery if we're the kind of players who DI high to the corners & live anyways. Think of the extra horizontal option we could have instead of needing to use SideB or DownB, likely risking ourselves of losing our second jump, flying down in an angle doomed to SD. . .This catapult can be an alternative to that common issue. The vertical height despite decreased drastically, you'd have enough height & horizontal momentum flying through the air, that you could buffer any aerial input & wouldn't have a bad landing. Mix-ups are reborn.
  • Grounded while using it, you'd be flung forward with more momentum almost reaching speed of your running or Spin Dash / Charge. You'd be flung in a direction just high enough from the ground to be able to input any aerial & not have bad landing lag. D-air would canceling the forward momentum & you'd fly straight down with landing lag. The catapult's time grounded on the stage doesn't last as long as your Spring jump, so use the limited time wisely for any setups etc. One last point to make is that the catapult would retain the same element as the default spring jump, & that you can press UpB to spawn your catapult right as someone above you lands in that general area. The draw-back to spawning catapult under someone is you have to be more precise with it, getting the right area of the catapult to be on the larger red leverage area in order to launch you both, being a surprise fling off-stage & throwing out an aerial at an early KO %.
  • Airborne while using it, you're flung in which ever direction you choose. As you fling towards a direction, the catapult drops like the spring would, however the catapult having more extra length, it's hit-box is bigger covering more area potentially being an intimidating gimp tool for edge-game. The weight of the catapult & it's knock-back are relatively the same to the Spring Jump, however the draw-back of catapult, because of it's slender size, its turning mid-air falling could possibly miss the opponent you tried to hit. Do not fret, for the most rewarding factor of catapult used offensively off-stage is, the precise timing your catapult moves around, the large red leverage making contact with the foe, he / she is bounced closer or away. This mostly gimps them, putting them in a very awkward position to be off-stage, probably under the stage, or far away from it. Think of it like the purple spring item in Brawl, except the red lip is the specific factor. Used correctly, you can gimp your opponent without needing to hit them!
P.S. There's no somersault flipping around as you jump off it, you just get launched in a diagonal frontward direction. If another fighter runs at a grounded spring & runs over it, the momentum does not alter from any increase or decrease in speed. It's set & always the same angle, distance, & mobility.
Another UpB customized Spring jump Idea can be this Wide Spring aka Long Spring:

This Wide Spring model is from Sonic Heroes & in the games it wasn't impressive other than giving a power core to your characters when pressing all 3 stars. Albeit in this speculation, Sonic gets some weird twists for better or worse. Spring jump is a balance of vertical height & horizontal distance due to your mobility, catapult sacrifices your vertical height for absolute horizontal launching. So what makes Wide Spring jump a viable custom special? First whether Sonic is grounded or airborne, activating the Wide Spring gives him two advantages:
2. An active hit-box lasting for a good portion of the Wide Spring jump, until about halfway does your active hit-box vanish.
Let me explain:
  • Grounded while pressing UpB, your Wide Spring Jump appears instantly shooting you up very high. What's the catch? Catapult gives you a huge boost of horizontal mobility & distance, while the Spring Jump is the in-betweener, but the catch to the Wide Spring jump is your sacrificed horizontal mobility & distance even with DI towards the direction you wish to go. The middle star lights up when you first press UpB to bring it out as you jump high straight up. The height you gain from jumping on the Wide Spring is higher than that of Sonic's regular Spring jump, but again the horizontal mobility would be cut in half. What happens when all 3 stars light up you ask? Answer: when all 3 stars are lit up, the duration time of the Wide Spring lasts 3 seconds longer giving you, or rather anyone else extra time to jump on it. Earlier I mentioned that Sonic gets an active hit-box when he jumps on the middle star right? Others of course can use the Wide Spring & jump on any of the stars on the spring, but the stars will not light up for anyone but Sonic. So every time Sonic lands on a star, the star area lights up & that's what causes Sonic to have an active hit-box launch. It's so-to-speak a "burst" of recovery when jumping on the star bumper areas with Sonic. This means that you can easily trap people under you as they come down from above. Because the height is so high on the Wide Spring you could land a strong U-air sealing a early Star KO. The downfall to that is you could lose the trade persay they react quicker & input an aerial with a faster start-up than yours. When you get launched far off you have no jumps left, DI towards the stage as much as you can then let your Wide Spring jump RIP!
    P.S. You could jump on one star, DI a little forward, then D-air straight down to hit another star to quicken the process in order to keep the Wide Spring out longer.
  • Airborne while using the Wide Spring jump, is very frightening for the other fighters. Spring & catapult are around the same hit-box & knock-back, while the Wide Spring is a lot bigger, wider, & heavier to top it off. It starts falling coming down as you shoot straight up, leaving your Wide Spring behind, with reason. I haven't decided whether I want the Wide Spring to meteor smash foes below Sonic, or it's a moderately strong Spring attack that knocks them away, gimping their recovery unless their recovery rivals that of Brawl MK's recovery. Either or, both situations of the Springs launch power compensate Sonic for killpower for his UpB customized special given his SideB & DownB grant enough horizontal mobility & direction to allow a custom move like Wide Spring to be commonly used. The Wide SPring falling doesn't turn around mid-air, so it's similar to seeing a red brick fall, fast & hard.

• If you're putting in custom specials I'd appreciate if you put my spoilers in your OP as submissions.:shades: Sorry but thank you.
Thank You for the Grabs dude. I'm really tired tonight so I don't know if I can get the Grabs up tonight or not. Does he still pumble the same as in Brawl? About the Springs I see you did a lot of work on that but don't you think we just need one? BUT GOOD JOB.

Added Alts tonight.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Thank You for the Grabs dude. I'm really tired tonight so I don't know if I can get the Grabs up tonight or not. Does he still pumble the same as in Brawl? About the Springs I see you did a lot of work on that but don't you think we just need one? BUT GOOD JOB.

Added Alts tonight.
Np. I couldn't find any videos of his pummel to know whether it changed or not. That's something we'll end up having to wait on, or if Zipzo tests that specifically.

The spring ideas took me a good amount of time today. Maybe 2 hours because of all the crashing that happened today. If I had to go with one Spring custom special it'd be the catapult simply for the completely different yet similar traits the Spring & Catapult have. GN~

EDIT: Lmao at your tag reply, jeez I need to re-watch Sonic Underground again. XD

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Np. I couldn't find any videos of his pummel to know whether it changed or not. That's something we'll end up having to wait on, or if Zipzo tests that specifically.

The spring ideas took me a good amount of time today. Maybe 2 hours because of all the crashing that happened today. If I had to go with one Spring custom special it'd be the catapult simply for the completely different yet similar traits the Spring & Catapult have. GN~

EDIT: Lmao at your tag reply, jeez I need to re-watch Sonic Underground again. XD
Thanks for your ideas I will add them to the OP as soon as possible I got the Up throw screenshoted and ready to upload to imgur I can't upload it right because I'm on Speed Highway *pun entirely intened*

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I can't think of anymore palette ideas for now. I'm wondering if Sonic has a yellow palette that's just a regular yellow to resemble his Super form that adds the tiny detail change to make his eyes red (I'm aware Sonic already has Super Sonic as his Final Smash, but we can't forget that certain characters are reoccurring like the Dark Samus palette Samus has along with Dark Samus as an AT. This is why Shadow the Hedgehog can easily be a palette for Sonic or as a costume).
@ Skyfox2000 Skyfox2000 Add this to your OP under your spoiler for the Yellow resembling palettes. Sorry but thank you:
Super Sonic (likely if not very likely)

OH Speaking of palettes that resemble things, why not have a Dark Sonic-esque palette for the Black color? Oh man. . .
@ Skyfox2000 Skyfox2000 yo add this to the Black resembling palettes:
Dark Super Sonic (likely because more dark in the roster:laugh:)

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I can't think of anymore palette ideas for now. I'm wondering if Sonic has a yellow palette that's just a regular yellow to resemble his Super form that adds the tiny detail change to make his eyes red (I'm aware Sonic already has Super Sonic as his Final Smash, but we can't forget that certain characters are reoccurring like the Dark Samus palette Samus has along with Dark Samus as an AT. This is why Shadow the Hedgehog can easily be a palette for Sonic or as a costume).
@ Skyfox2000 Skyfox2000 Add this to your OP under your spoiler for the Yellow resembling palettes. Sorry but thank you:
Super Sonic (likely if not very likely)

OH Speaking of palettes that resemble things, why not have a Dark Sonic-esque palette for the Black color? Oh man. . .
@ Skyfox2000 Skyfox2000 yo add this to the Black resembling palettes:
Dark Super Sonic (likely because more dark in the roster:laugh:)
I like Dark Super Sonic I would like to see that as a recolors in this game. Here's all of Sonic's recolors http://nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/gallery/smash-bros-3ds-famitsu/smash-fam-46.jpg
Shall I still add it to the thread? Sorry I couldn't update the thread today I've been on the Speed Highway all day lol.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I like Dark Super Sonic I would like to see that as a recolors in this game. Here's all of Sonic's recolors http://nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/gallery/smash-bros-3ds-famitsu/smash-fam-46.jpg
Shall I still add it to the thread? Sorry I couldn't update the thread today I've been on the Speed Highway all day lol.
Yeah definitely. Adding it is cool, & np.
I do wanna bring this up but putting it in a spoiler since it's Sonic's Brawl palettes:

Sonic is the only non-Pokémon character to have fewer than six palette swaps. The stripe on his sneakers is white in all palette swaps, and, in all but the default palette swap, the rest of his sneakers match his wristbands.

• Blue: Based on Sonic's redesign used ever since Sonic Adventure. (Default, Blue Team color, file 00)
  • Black: Resembles Dark Sonic from the Sonic X anime. (File 05)
  • Yellow: Gives Sonic an indigo color and bracelets that resemble the ones worn by Silver the Hedgehog. (File 04)
  • Green: His wristbands resemble the ones attached to the gloves that appear in the special stages in Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. The blue color also is akin to when Sonic goes underwater in the Labyrinth Zone. (Green Team color, File 02)
  • Red: His wristbands resemble the ones attached to the gloves that appear in the special stages in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. The blue color also resembles the one of Classic Sonic on the SEGA Genesis. (Red Team color, File 01)
When they describe the origin of each palette, they mostly go into detail about either the wristbands, or Sonic's color in the palette swap appearing in a game. Apparently the Black palette is supposed to resemble Dark Sonic from the Sonic X anime, which is very specific & pleases me reading that.

We look here & compare it to Brawl Sonic's Black palette, they got barely any different. . .I could argue that he got more 'black' & that's about it.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000

Let me explain:

Is this the Catapult you was talking about?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

Approve 100% oh the Sonic 2 Nostalgic here im feeling. btw do you have an image for the Spring you was talking about?
The Wide Spring? The one I mentioned in my spoiler has a design based off of Sonic Heroes, but this one is based off Sonic Colors

As for Springs to be different custom specials for Sonic's UpB, try this gallery.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
The Wide Spring? The one I mentioned in my spoiler has a design based off of Sonic Heroes, but this one is based off Sonic Colors

As for Springs to be different custom specials for Sonic's UpB, try this gallery.
Thanks so I added them. Check the Custom Moveset and Alt. Costumes sections.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
So for one of sonic's custom moves his homing attack doesn't arc when it flies and if you miss it travels straight up. Also for his down b they have one that seems to charge like side B and it hits multiple times in one hit though it only last a short distance.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So for one of sonic's custom moves his homing attack doesn't arc when it flies and if you miss it travels straight up. Also for his down b they have one that seems to charge like side B and it hits multiple times in one hit though it only last a short distance.
Seems like that may happen, considering a lot of Project M goodies are being seen in Sm4sh this time around. I dig the ideas.:shades:

My upcoming ideas may be lame, but throwing 'em out there, take a look @ Skyfox2000 Skyfox2000 :
:GCB:
  • Homing Barrage aka Fast Homing Attack.
Less creative than my Spring custom specials, but it's easy & most Sonic fans will understand. The time it takes to home is the same, (given pressing B once shows it raise up, homing in on someone later, then the buffered homing cancel from Brawl returns by pressing B again after initially pressing B once to activate the Homing Attack) but the trajectory is a linear directional attack that is faster. The trade-off here is it lacks the power a regular Homing Attack has, so while it is more 'spammable' similarly done to multiple enemies in Sonic games, the launch power & hit-stun would be lower.
  • Sonic Wind! aka Homing Wind Attack. (You can imagine Tornado Jump if you want)
(This is a bit referencing to Sonic's storybook series games, since Sonic is more often referred to as the "Knight of the Wind" & so on.)
Not as creative since there are other wind-esque custom specials popping up, but Sonic feels justified for using it like anyone else does. The start-up is the same, rising up slightly with wind surrounding him aiming at a nearby fighter in an arc, the wind that comes with his homing attack adds a wind-box effect to the homing, essentially 'increasing' the launch distance blowing the fighter away along with the homing attack's initial knock-back & damage implying it is successfully landed. A whiffed homing attack that slams the ground (if that still happens like in brawl) nearby fighters in front of Sonic's impact, will create a wind wave, being shot in that linear direction pushing / blowing them away doing peanut % damage.

BTW, this is a fan site, but I must admit, those palettes look well done.

http://smashbros-miiverse.com/characters/sonic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom