• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

High Five! The Billy (and Jimmy) Lee Support Thread

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
River City Girls put Billy and Jimmy into the same series as Riki and Kunio.
Yeah but you were talking about alts. That's something that hasn't been done with characters from different series.

If they were to use alts from River City for Billy and Jimmy, I think Ryuichi and Ryuji would be the best choices since they're basically the same characters.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
If they were to use alts from River City for Billy and Jimmy, I think Ryuichi and Ryuji would be the best choices since they're basically the same characters.
I don't think most people even know who Ryuichi and Ryuji are and the few that do probably don't care.

Besides, it wouldn't be the first time Kunio became Billy. The Double Dragon II for gameboy was originally a Kunio game in Japan. They just changed some of the graphics around when they released it in English.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I decided to create Mii Fighter versions of Billy and Jimmy. Fortunately, they can be equipped with a spinning kick. Give them the Ryuichi and Ryuji spirit and I have my own Double Dragons for this game.

Of course, I would like the real deal but this is the closest thing to it, so until it actually does happen, I just gotta stick with this.

I don't think most people even know who Ryuichi and Ryuji are and the few that do probably don't care.

Besides, it wouldn't be the first time Kunio became Billy. The Double Dragon II for gameboy was originally a Kunio game in Japan. They just changed some of the graphics around when they released it in English.
Ryuichi and Ryuji are basically the River City versions of Billy and Jimmy. Literally the same characters, just with different names. Anybody that's played River City games would recognize them as Randy and Andy and they were known for being extremely hard bosses to beat. Plus, they have spirits in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
You know, I say that Ryu Hayabusa would be my last most wanted character for the Smash Bros. series but the more I think about Billy and Jimmy Lee, the more I'm starting to change my mind. I feel that they really should be in this series. Whether Smash is either about Nintendo history or video game history, Double Dragon has both of them. Plus, I love the Double Dragon series so much.

I wish there was more support. As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think the series gets talked about as much as it should when it comes to Smash, so I can only assume that there wasn't much demand for it. But at the same time, Sakurai and Nintendo obviously know about the series, so even if there isn't much demand, they know what it's all about and what it could bring to Smash. No doubt fans would love it anyway.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
How am I not a supporter of this?
Cause I totally am!

Even though I'm taking a huge break from Smash, I would dive right back in head first if these dudes got in!

DD was one of those games I didn't own but my friends did.

The first one I beat was Neon, and my .... God I adore it. It's among my top 5 Beat em ups ever.

Dont know how good their chances are when Kunio got spirited , but here's hoping Sakurai went for more international appeal in the form of the Lee bros.

EDIT: Gimmick idea

So I had this gimmick idea for a beat'em up character.

Would it be too OP if upon landing a smash attack, there's like a 1/20 chance the character drops an item related to his universe?

Mario characters: Fire Flower or Green Shells
Zelda characters: Young Link bombs.
Kid Icarus: Staff
Pokemon: pokeball (definitely not masterball)
Star Fox: Bomb
Earthbound: Franklin badge or baseball bat
Kirby: Mostly food
Metroid: Screw attack
Fire Emblem: Killing Edge
Misc: Food / Bumper

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Cause I totally am!

Even though I'm taking a huge break from Smash, I would dive right back in head first if these dudes got in!

The first one I beat was Neon, and my .... God I adore it. It's among my top 5 Beat em ups ever.

Dont know how good their chances are when Kunio got spirited , but here's hoping Sakurai went for more international appeal in the form of the Lee bros.

Would it be too OP if upon landing a smash attack, there's like a 1/20 chance the character drops an item related to his universe?

Great to see some more support.

As for the gimmick, I'm not sure about that. Seeing how easy it is pick up items or even hit them, this might end up getting in the way during gameplay, especially if it's a team match. Imagine knocking a bomb out of your opponent in a crowd and somebody accidentally hits it, blowing everybody away? That would make a match look very awkward and hard to deal with.

I was thinking about another possible feature would be the Dragon Power gauge from Super Double Dragon where, once it's full, their normal attacks get stronger for a little while.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Cause I totally am!

It might be a bit 2 weird for it to be items but maybe a small chance of getting a small healing item? I feel like that could be possible

Oddball

Smash Lord
Double Dragon V: The Shadow falls (the one based on that horrible cartoon series) is nobodys favorite game in the series, but I do think there are two thigs from it we could grab.

doubledragonv-snes-07.png

The Yin-Yang Dragon symbol in the background could work as a good series logo image for them, and the Billy and Jimmy designs they used there could be made into nice little Mii-Swordsmen costumes.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Double Dragon V: The Shadow falls (the one based on that horrible cartoon series) is nobodys favorite game in the series, but I do think there are two thigs from it we could grab.

View attachment 297293

The Yin-Yang Dragon symbol in the background could work as a good series logo image for them, and the Billy and Jimmy designs they used there could be made into nice little Mii-Swordsmen costumes.
That logo is blessed.

Also, Double Dragon V? Way before IV was released?
Which one was supposed to be IV back then, then?

Btw, what would their stage be like? Something with buildings and ladders perhaps?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

View attachment 297293

They'll most likely use the original Double Dragon symbol for the series logo.

That Yin-Yang Dragon symbol is cool, though.

That logo is blessed.

Also, Double Dragon V? Way before IV was released?
Which one was supposed to be IV back then, then?

Btw, what would their stage be like? Something with buildings and ladders perhaps?
I'm pretty sure Super Double Dragon was meant to be Double Dragon 4.

As for the stage, I say maybe the first City Streets stage based on the design from Double Dragon Neon.

Oddball

Smash Lord
They'll most likely use the original Double Dragon symbol for the series logo.
I don't mean for the logo. I mean those little symbols that go next to the damage meter. Mario has the mushroom. Zelda characters have the Triforce. Kirby has a star. That's what I'm taking about. I'm not sure they have a name other than "symbols".

I can't think of anything else that would really work for the Double Dragon series.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I don't mean for the logo. I mean those little symbols that go next to the damage meter. Mario has the mushroom. Zelda characters have the Triforce. Kirby has a star. That's what I'm taking about. I'm not sure they have a name other than "symbols".

I can't think of anything else that would really work for the Double Dragon series.
It's all the same thing. They're either call symbols, logos, or icons.

But like I said, it would obviously be the original Double Dragon symbol itself.

W_The Lee Brothers1.jpg

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord

But like I said, it would obviously be the original Double Dragon symbol itself.

View attachment 297348
You threw me when you said the original Logo.
When you said that, I was thinking this.

double-dragon-logo.jpg
Which doesn't really work for a series symbol.

The one you posted is a lot better than that, but I can't recall seeing that version appear before Neon. I wouldn't really call it the original.

It's not worth arguing about though.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
You threw me when you said the original Logo.
When you said that, I was thinking this.

View attachment 297349
Which doesn't really work for a series symbol.

The one you posted is a lot better than that, but I can't recall seeing that version appear before Neon. I wouldn't really call it the original.

It's not worth arguing about though.
That's the alternate logo that was used for some of the games. Kind of similar to the two Mega Man logos.

The one I was talking about was this one:

1609099120335.png

The Double Dragon Neon logo kind of takes after this one, so that's why I called it the original symbol.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Supporting, so that my wild dream of Battletoads/Double Dragon in Smash can at least be partially realized.

Has anyone else found it odd that Neon got on the Switch before any of the other current modern platforms? It's a complete 180 from previously strictly having been on the PS3 and XBox 360.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Neon was backwards compatible on the PS4 and Xbox One, so a re-release there would’ve been redundant, and the PS5 and Xbox Series X/S pretty much just came out, though I would expect it to still be BC. This is the first time the game’s been on a Nintendo platform though iirc, so is kind of a bigger deal there.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I just want to say, it's kind of cool that a Double Dragon cartoon series was going to be part of the Super Mario Bros Power Hour.

Also, from the looks of it, it's the only third-party series that was part of the Nintendo Trading Card Stickers (which featured Mario, Zelda, and Punch-Out!!):

Just shows how big Double Dragon was on Nintendo consoles back then.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
It's weird. Double Dragon used to be such a HUGE thing and now you never really hear anybody talk about it, not even in a "remember that old retro series) kind of way."
I guess for the past two decades, the series just simply wasn't as active as it was back in the 80s and 90s and that may be why it doesn't get talked about that much. Double Dragon Neon and 4 might have changed that a little bit, though.

I'm just surprised that it doesn't get much mention when it comes to Smash but I do have a feeling that it will pretty soon. For a series that is either about Nintendo history or video game history, the lack of the most famous beat'em up series that has both of these kind of histories is a glaring omission in a game like Smash.

I blame the live action movie in part for damaging the brand.
I'm not sure about that. Many movies that are based on video games are usually just forgotten as time goes on. I think some people may have forgotten that the Neo Geo fighting game was even based on the movie.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I decided to change my spirit ideas a little bit.

Fighter Spirits
1609798976579.png
Billy Lee
1609799040190.png
Jimmy Lee

Primary and Support Spirits

Marian
1591939424336.png
Williams
1591939398142.png
Roper
1609799117090.png
Linda

1590346660525.png
Abobo
1609799227359.png
Willy
1590346358982.png
Burnov
1590120306405.png
Mysterious Warrior

1590120971623.png
Yagyu Ranzou
1590120915082.png
Chin Seimei
1590120502587.png
Duke Mecha Biker Tapesmith

Skullmageddon
1590121167682.png
Ayumi Roxy Hong and Wong

1609799977576.png 1609800006211.png Kyoko & Misako

1609801744010.png
Paul 1609801798226.png Bimmy 'n' Jammy
1609800294217.png
Masao Kobayashi
1609800590991.png
Koki Mizoguchi

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
River City Ransom spirits and no Kunio? That seems an odd choice.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Oh wow, this is still alive? I'm so bad for being away for so long, sorry guys.

View attachment 297348
I'm going to second the Neon emblem for the series logo. It's already in silhouette form and you can easily recognize which series it is immediately.

It's weird. Double Dragon used to be such a HUGE thing and now you never really hear anybody talk about it, not even in a "remember that old retro series) kind of way."
It is strange, and a little sad, that it just fell off a cliff like that. If I had to fathom a guess, I'd say it's from a one-two punch of Technos going under and the Beat-Em-Up genre dying out for a while.

Kunio is already a spirit in Smash Ultimate.
I'm sure they could tie all the RCR Spirits to the DLC board if they wanted to, but I have a feeling we'd only get DD Spirits since I think Terry is the only one with any crossovers.

-Edit-
I updated the supporter list, I hope I got everyone.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Yep. It's still alive and I've become a very active supporter of the Double Dragons.

I'm sure they could tie all the RCR Spirits to the DLC board if they wanted to, but I have a feeling we'd only get DD Spirits since I think Terry is the only one with any crossovers.
Double Dragon has crossed over with River City too. Aside from Abobo being a boss in River City Girls, Billy and Jimmy have appeared in some of the River City spinoff games too. That's why I say the two series are so highly connected to each other that I wouldn't be surprised if the Lee brothers do come with more content from the River City series.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, Double Dragon, being one of the forefathers of the beat 'em up genre is...sadly and understandably seen as old hat compared to its contemporaries.

DDIV didn't help, as that was made by much of the original staff, and Neon outshone it easily.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Also, Double Dragon, being one of the forefathers of the beat 'em up genre is...sadly and understandably seen as old hat compared to its contemporaries.

DDIV didn't help, as that was made by much of the original staff, and Neon outshone it easily.
I don't think being seen as old is a bad thing seeing how a lot series in Smash started around the same time as Double Dragon. In fact, as long as that series legacy started on the NES, I think it's all good.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think being seen as old is a bad thing seeing how a lot series in Smash started around the same time as Double Dragon. In fact, as long as that series legacy started on the NES, I think it's all good.
Oh, I didn't mean in the context of Smash, but the gamer scene in general.

DD has everything it needs to get in, but it barely got any fan support until recently. It's all up to ArcSys to determine if we get them in here this time, since they got their foot in the door with the Kunio spirits.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Oh, I didn't mean in the context of Smash, but the gamer scene in general.

DD has everything it needs to get in, but it barely got any fan support until recently. It's all up to ArcSys to determine if we get them in here this time, since they got their foot in the door with the Kunio spirits.
Well, as for the gamer scene. maybe or maybe not. But I do think Double Dragon Neon helped modernized the series in some ways.

Also, yeah, true about that last part. It definitely has everything it needs to get in. Unfortunately, with ASW already having content in Smash Ultimate, I'm not sure about the chances of any character from that company making it in at this point. A shame, really.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I know, but it feels weird to have the Kunio cast without Kunio.

At the very least, if you're not going to have Kunio have Alex and Ryan.
Alex and Ryan? Aren't those the localized names of Kunio and Riki?

I don't see what's so weird about that. They're already in the game as spirits, so I don't see any reason to have them listed.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
DarthEnderX DarthEnderX

I just want to say that even though I support Billy and Jimmy for Smash, I'm definitely not against Kunio and Riki making it in, as they definitely have good reasons for being in Smash too. While Double Dragon has more recognition, Kunio was pretty much the mascot of Technos Japan and is a much larger franchise. It even had sports spinoffs before even the Mario series. Not only that but it has a such a long history on Nintendo consoles that it could easily pass for a Nintendo series itself. When I think of the River City series, even I tend to think Nintendo first before thinking of Technos or Arc System Works. Heck, Nintendo even released one of the games along with Super Mario Bros. and Tetris as a triple game release.

So I just want to let you know that I got no problem with you supporting Kunio and Riki over Billy and Jimmy. In fact, I'm glad at least one of them got some content in Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
1613857280402.png

This is almost identical to my ideas for Billy and Jimmy. Cool! The only difference is the Down attack, which I would have as the Back Elbow. Other thing that, everything else is exactly how I would have them, including the palette swaps.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Alex and Ryan? Aren't those the localized names of Kunio and Riki?
Basically, yeah. Visually, the character swapped out their Japanese school uniforms for some good old USA jeans and T-shirts.

View attachment 304224

This is almost identical to my ideas for Billy and Jimmy. Cool! The only difference is the Down attack, which I would have as the Back Elbow. Other thing that, everything else is exactly how I would have them, including the palette swaps.

I'm not sure I like them throwing fireballs around, but it's not a bad move set. I think they need something where they use some of the more traditional weapons from the series though, like a baseball bat or throwing knives.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I'm not sure I like them throwing fireballs around, but it's not a bad move set. I think they need something where they use some of the more traditional weapons from the series though, like a baseball bat or throwing knives.
I think the fireballs are fine. They also had it in Double Dragon Neon.

I personally don't think weapons are necessary if they already have enough attacks of their own to make a moveset. It just wouldn't represent them that well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom