• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

It's Robertman2 Robertman2 . He doesn't really come here anymore. I still see him a lot in discord. That being the case, is it possible to petition the mods for a new thread owner?
I'm not a mod, but I'd take over the thread.
I actually really wanted to make a Joker thread, but Robertman beat me to the punch.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I see the assumption of Kazumi being a Joker echo hasn't been disregarded yet. Though realistically speaking: I got to wonder how the Persona fanbase would take it, seeing as they likely assume Akechi or any of the previous Persona protags to be Joker's echo rather than her. It also depends on whether Sakurai would be allowed to spoil stuff about her before P5R even comes out. I mean Joker's grappling hook was one thing (as it was already something that he used albeit to a minimal extent in vanilla P5) but a new character entirely?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I see the assumption of Kazumi being a Joker echo hasn't been disregarded yet. Though realistically speaking: I got to wonder how the Persona fanbase would take it, seeing as they likely assume Akechi or any of the previous Persona protags to be Joker's echo rather than her. It also depends on whether Sakurai would be allowed to spoil stuff about her before P5R even comes out. I mean Joker's grappling hook was one thing (as it was already something that he used albeit to a minimal extent in vanilla P5) but a new character entirely?
I mean, how much does Joker spoil with his character. Once we find out what her Persona is(Which will likely be shown in a trailer), I doubt it will be a problem. I also feel she is much more similar to Joker compared to the other protags and even Akechi.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
They seem to be less concerned about spoilers around her ATM. I mean, they did announce her by saying that she disagrees with the thieves and followed it up instantly with her as a Phantom Thief. They're not awkwardly trying (and often failing) to hide it, like they did with a certain basegame character...

From the very little we've seen of her, she makes the most sense. I mean, her outfit looks like Joker's but with a leotard and they're clearly going for some varaition on the "We're not so different; you and I" trope between them... The question that would seal the deal is her Persona.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
They seem to be less concerned about spoilers around her ATM. I mean, they did announce her by saying that she disagrees with the thieves and followed it up instantly with her as a Phantom Thief. They're not awkwardly trying (and often failing) to hide it, like they did with a certain basegame character...

From the very little we've seen of her, she makes the most sense. I mean, her outfit looks like Joker's but with a leotard and they're clearly going for some varaition on the "We're not so different; you and I" trope between them... The question that would seal the deal is her Persona.
Just because the Kasumi thread went through this sort of topic earlier, I am goint to quote these.
you know i find it kinda funny that joker's various hunched-down gun stances in smash are nothing like the original stance in p5

View attachment 214275View attachment 214277

it's almost like

oh

oh god

this ****post is only 75% serious
So I decided to look at Kasumi's character page on TV Tropes due the trope discussion that happened earlier and found an interesting point to look at. This was under "Distaff Counterpart:"
"Her gun-of-choice also indirectly mirrors Joker in a way: a lever-action rifle, while not Joker's main type of gun, is the type wielded by
Satanael, Joker's Ultimate Persona."
i also noticed that in a comparison of ren and kasumi's critical hit animations, they move almost identically

they're playing up the parallels big time, echo or not

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I mean, how much does Joker spoil with his character. Once we find out what her Persona is(Which will likely be shown in a trailer), I doubt it will be a problem. I also feel she is much more similar to Joker compared to the other protags and even Akechi.
Yeah, cus one thing I'm interested in is what her skill set would look like since she could be either a physical attacker with an element for hitting weaknesses (like Ryuji and Yusuke) or her skill set could be taking some of the bloat in Haru's and Akechi's skill lists (Haru has late character syndrome while Akechi is only playable for one dungeon) while also rebalancing them.

D

Deleted member

Joker's moveset in Smash Ultimate spoils nothing in Persona 5, and honestly there are characters that have some heavy spoilers in their moveset...
I mean we all know this by now, but I feel bad for the guys who didn't play OoT before Melee came out (like me...); the Sheik is Zelda twist is ruined.

Just because the Kasumi thread went through this sort of topic earlier, I am goint to quote these.
This is actually some pretty crazy stuff that I didn't notice the first time. Having them side by side really helps out a lot.
Kasumi does emulate Joker a lot though in terms of her animations, and even core design; her coat is similar to Joker's and I thought of it the first time I saw her PT design.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, cus one thing I'm interested in is what her skill set would look like since she could be either a physical attacker with an element for hitting weaknesses (like Ryuji and Yusuke) or her skill set could be taking some of the bloat in Haru's and Akechi's skill lists (Haru has late character syndrome while Akechi is only playable for one dungeon) while also rebalancing them.
Akechi will likely stick around this time, so I wonder how that will effect things.
Joker's moveset in Smash Ultimate spoils nothing in Persona 5, and honestly there are characters that have some heavy spoilers in their moveset...
I mean we all know this by now, but I feel bad for the guys who didn't play OoT before Melee came out (like me...); the Sheik is Zelda twist is ruined.
Don't forget Xenoblade.
This is actually some pretty crazy stuff that I didn't notice the first time. Having them side by side really helps out a lot.
Kasumi does emulate Joker a lot though in terms of her animations, and even core design; her coat is similar to Joker's and I thought of it the first time I saw her PT design.
She really does. To me at least, it makes Jane being anything other than Kasumi ridiculous. Doubt not many would argue, but there is still some out there.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
She really does. To me at least, it makes Jane being anything other than Kasumi ridiculous. Doubt not many would argue, but there is still some out there.
at this point, i don't even really think it's up for debate - the question is much more 'was she cut', which i don't think we'll have an answer to until at least October.

at any rate, i think it's incredibly unlikely that she was ever intended to exist only as a skin, given the royal's October release compared to Joker's April release. even as an early promo, the timing would have been way too soon. more likely, they were following the melee doc/smash 4 clone trio structure of making her thief and uniform skins with Joker's fighter data as a base before splitting her off into an in-development echo to decide on changes once the model was complete (excluding a bit of polishing up).

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
at this point, i don't even really think it's up for debate - the question is much more 'was she cut', which i don't think we'll have an answer to until at least October.

at any rate, i think it's incredibly unlikely that she was ever intended to exist only as a skin, given the royal's October release compared to Joker's April release. even as an early promo, the timing would have been way too soon. more likely, they were following the melee doc/smash 4 clone trio structure of making her thief and uniform skins with Joker's fighter data as a base before splitting her off into an in-development echo to decide on changes once the model was complete (excluding a bit of polishing up).
Yeah, not to mention having to wait for more info on Kasumi (if the Jane file was Kasumi) since all we know so far is that she is a party member, her outfit takes after Joker in some ways, and her weapons consist of broadswords and hunting rifles with her starting gear being an Estoc and a Mare's Leg. Hopefully next Thursday will give us info on what her Persona is.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Who wants a ****-tier opinion?

I’d rather we had got more P5 music and left out the P3 and P4 tracks :upsidedown:

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Who wants a ****-tier opinion?

I’d rather we had got more P5 music and left out the P3 and P4 tracks :upsidedown:
i'd like to think kasumi would bring in a few more P5 tracks like life will change and will power, but it'd probably just be colours flying high + the new battle theme we haven't heard yet

D

Deleted member

Don't forget Xenoblade.
I didn't forget about Xenoblade of course!
I rather not mention those spoilers in case others want to play the game! (please do, it's amazing) It's a shame how much they spoiled in Smash 4 and Ultimate though.

I'm thinking she's Jane at this point too. I think there are too many things lining up that I would be shocked if Kasumi wasn't her.
The question is, will she be added as an Echo Fighter for Joker?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I'm thinking she's Jane at this point too. I think there are too many things lining up that I would be shocked if Kasumi wasn't her.
The question is, will she be added as an Echo Fighter for Joker?
If she does get added as an echo, she would probably be one in the same vein as Ken (i.e. a semi clone with the echo label slapped on). Then again, we still don't know what her Persona is and what it can do (we'll probably find out next week, but who knows)

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Damn it, now part of me really wants them to put in Kazumi as an echo, granted I don't know if it's too late for Sakurai to do that else he get accused of bias from the other fanbases who didn't get THEIR character as an echo (looking especially at the Waluigi and Shadow fanbases...)

Even better if she comes with more P5 tracks XD.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
If she does get added as an echo, she would probably be one in the same vein as Ken (i.e. a semi clone with the echo label slapped on). Then again, we still don't know what her Persona is and what it can do (we'll probably find out next week, but who knows)
i think she could be feasibly accomplished as a mostly straight copy, but if they decide to actually sell echoes then i'd hope they're all ken-type semiclones that just have the echo branding, because that's associated with ultimate and is easier for fans to swallow

Last edited:

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Zero sum fallacy, there's no reason to cut music to add more tracks.
Maybe, we don't know how these deals work.

Could have been budget/licensing restrictions/they just outright wanted P3+4 music.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
i think she could be feasibly accomplished as a mostly straight copy, but if they decide to actually sell echoes then i'd hope they're all ken-type semiclones that just have the echo branding, because that's associated with ultimate and is easier for fans to swallow
At the very least, I have the feeling the first echo will be a semi clone. After that, I think it will fluctuate depending on the character.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Did I miss anything interesting in here? I lost track of the notifications again :p

Here's a gif i found. My fave persona gal dancing :)

I havent played that game, unfortuantely :O May be fun.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I did great by buying Joker.
He plays nice and the alt just fits me pretty well.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Did I miss anything interesting in here? I lost track of the notifications again :p

Here's a gif i found. My fave persona gal dancing :)

I havent played that game, unfortuantely :O May be fun.
depends how much you've missed

there's a bunch of interesting new stuff regarding kasumi here, for example how her critical attack animation in P5R almost perfectly mirrors joker's:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
depends how much you've missed

there's a bunch of interesting new stuff regarding kasumi here, for example how her critical attack animation in P5R almost perfectly mirrors joker's:
You posted that in the kasumi thread and I replied to it :p
Looks like I only missed a page and half of stuff. Guess everyone's busy playing joker ;p

I still havent looked into the p5r trailer translations tho. Might be interesting to look for new stuff.

D

Deleted member

While I wait for the release of The Royal, I should get myself prepared for the title.
And thus, I need to inform myself about some questions:

-Do I need to play past Persona titles to understand P5? Or is it like the Xenoblade games where I can start whenever I want without getting lost on the plot?
-Are the P5 spin offs a good way to kill some time or the price is too expensive for the stuff they offer? I may pick the Dancing spin off if it is worth the price it has, since I like to try different genres I don’t tend to play.
-I may pick P4, but is the PS Vita version the only edition worth to pick? If so, I may talk with a friend who owns that system to pick the game together.
-Should I pick PQ? Some people outside of Smashboards told me that it has some problems which makes the game not as enjoyable as one would wish.
-While I heard that P5 The Animation isn’t that amazing, I would like to see if P4 The Animation is worth to watch instead.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Do I need to play past Persona titles to understand P5?
no
Are the P5 spin offs a good way to kill some time or the price is too expensive for the stuff they offer?
they're good for fans, but can be pretty niche depending on the genre. they're the type of thing you only want to play once you've played the actual game.
I may pick P4, but is the PS Vita version the only edition worth to pick?
P4 golden on vita is the definitive version of the game, so if you can borrow a vita from your friend (like i did when playing through it) that's probably your best option
Should I pick PQ?
absolutely don't touch PQ unless you've played either P4 or P3 - it's first and foremost a fanservice game, and you won't get much out of it without playing the main games
While I heard that P5 The Animation isn’t that amazing, I would like to see if P4 The Animation is worth to watch instead.
P4 animation (NOT P4 the golden animation, which is a completely different thing and is much worse) is pretty good. P5 animation is terrible and should be avoided at all costs.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
While I wait for the release of The Royal, I should get myself prepared for the title.

-Do I need to play past Persona titles to understand P5? Or is it like the Xenoblade games where I can start whenever I want without getting lost on the plot?
-Are the P5 spin offs a good way to kill some time or the price is too expensive for the stuff they offer? I may pick the Dancing spin off if it is worth the price it has, since I like to try different genres I don’t tend to play.
-I may pick P4, but is the PS Vita version the only edition worth to pick? If so, I may talk with a friend who owns that system to pick the game together.
-Should I pick PQ? Some people outside of Smashboards told me that it has some problems which makes the game not as enjoyable as one would wish.
-While I heard that P5 The Animation isn’t that amazing, I would like to see if P4 The Animation is worth to watch instead.
The Persona game's stories don't have to do with each other.
There's a long while to wait for p5r tho. If you cant wait, p5 is low in price now. But since it's the same game but with new stuff, it could be worth the wait. Depends if you like to replay games for the new stuff.

You dont need the vita version of p4. You can if you want the extra new stuff. It's not as much new stuff as it could be.
I heard the p4 anime isn't as bad, so you could.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

no

they're good for fans, but can be pretty niche depending on the genre. they're the type of thing you only want to play once
The Persona game's stories don't have to do with each other.
There's a long while to wait for p5r tho. If you cant wait, p5 is low in price now. But since it's the same game but with new stuff, it could be worth the wait. Depends if you like to replay games for the new stuff.

You dont need the vita version of p4. You can if you want the extra new stuff. It's not as much new stuff as it could be.
I heard the p4 anime isn't as bad, so you could.
you've played the actual game.

P4 golden on vita is the definitive version of the game, so if you can borrow a vita from your friend (like i did when playing through it) that's probably your best option

absolutely don't touch PQ unless you've played either P4 or P3 - it's first and foremost a fanservice game, and you won't get much out of it without playing the main games

P4 animation (NOT P4 the golden animation, which is a completely different thing and is much worse) is pretty good. P5 animation is terrible and should be avoided at all costs.
Thanks a lot!
I will try to pick P4 Golden for the Vita with the help of my friend and watch P4 The Animation first.
Due to the work of high school, I’ll try to begin around summer.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thanks a lot!
I will try to pick P4 Golden for the Vita with the help of my friend and watch P4 The Animation first.
Due to the work of high school, I’ll try to begin around summer.
Cool, but It'd be best to play the game first and then watch the anime, or else you might be a bit lost and especially spoil some things you could find out through playing it yourself. It's up to you tho, if you dont mind that.

edit: Just to clarify, the anime by itself can be fine, but if someone's going to play the game anyway, I think getting the full story and the build up is much more satisfying than only the run down in the anime, even if it stands better on its own than the p5 one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know this is already answered but...
1. You don't need to play Persona 1-4 to play and understand Persona 5. Each game has nods to the previous games, but that won't affect your enjoyment of them.
2. That depends if you want to play a rhythm dancing game. Milage varies if you are interested in that sort of thing.
3. Persona 4 Golden is pretty much the definitive edition. It adds content like more Social Links for you to do and more activities to do. I say it's worth it. If you want a higher resolution, I do recommend the PS TV, but they are getting more expensive nowadays.
4. PQ is for Persona fans alone really. I would not recommend Q over 3, 4, and 5 as someone's starting game, especially when Q takes place in the middle of P3's and 4's stories.
5. From the clips I've seen, the P4 animation is pretty hilarious and I've heard nothing but good things about it.

amageish

Smash Master
Just to give a bit of a contrarian opinion on this: P4 the Animation is basically a pantomime of P4. It is definitely funny, but it also kinda messed with the characterizations and a lot of moments that are relatively serious in the game are played for comedy in not-always-great ways. I know some people who enjoyed it on its own, but overall I don't know if it's reccomendable...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Just to give a bit of a contrarian opinion on this: P4 the Animation is basically a pantomime of P4. It is definitely funny, but it also kinda messed with the characterizations and a lot of moments that are relatively serious in the game are played for comedy in not-always-great ways. I know some people who enjoyed it on its own, but overall I don't know if it's reccomendable...
I think it might be interesting as a different take on the characters a little, or on its own if someone doesnt plan to play the game, but I think getting a raw experience of the game first would help place it. Ive only seen scenes from it too and it looks interesting, but i definitely didn't think of Yu like they show him in the anime :p

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I think it might be interesting as a different take on the characters a little, or on its own if someone doesnt plan to play the game, but I think getting a raw experience of the game first would help place it. Ive only seen scenes from it too and it looks interesting, but i definitely didn't think of Yu like they show him in the anime :p
Oh, yeah, Yu's characterization is bizzare in a great way. The party members get the worst of it IMHO... It is interesting and can overall be amusing, but I definitely think the game would be good to situate it so you feel more of a connection to the struggles of the characters and don't just feel like they're there to laugh at.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have a question: Is the election in P5 1:1 with actual Japanese elections date wise?

KatKit

Smash Lord
Not sure if I should post this here or in the Kasumi thread, but during the second or third Smash Bros. DLC character announcement, I imagine Joker hijacking the trailer at the end with Persona's signature "1 more" popping up:

Then Sakurai says something like: "That's right, we have even more surprises in store for you," or something while he reveals the addition of DLC alternate costumes and/or echoes. The first of which is Jane. Now, whether Jane ends up being Kasumi or a female version of Joker, IDK (we still don't know absolutely everything about P5R)... but something like this will be cool, and isn't completely far-fetched.

Top Bottom