• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

amageish

Smash Master
Google translate's translations of Sakurai's tweets reveal some cool stuff--apparently Lyn actually did a new vocal recording of Beneath the Mask! And people were worried the songs wouldn't have lyrics haha.

Also, random thought: as the Phantom Thieves talk over the victory screen, they avoided the issue of having Xander announce his own victory.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Google translate's translations of Sakurai's tweets reveal some cool stuff--apparently Lyn actually did a new vocal recording of Beneath the Mask! And people were worried the songs wouldn't have lyrics haha.

Also, random thought: as the Phantom Thieves talk over the victory screen, they avoided the issue of having Xander announce his own victory.
Clever. He will still have to say Joker when you select him though.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
seriously though if the weather's fine then I might have some fun with joker otherwise storm anxiety just ruined Joker day for me

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Man I am SOOOO happy I get the Easter holiday off from work, that means my sister and I, AND one of my friends whose coming over to my place can play around with Joker! XD

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, I guess "ATLUS is stingy/only cares about promotion" arguments died in the endless abyss of Mementos.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Well, I guess "ATLUS is stingy/only cares about promotion" arguments died in the endless abyss of Mementos.
And boy am I glad to be wrong, now I don't need to give any ****s about the Persona concert.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Typical, he comes out during my Persona 5 playthrough, was hoping to finish it off just before the DLC. At this point in time my whole life will be this game haha.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just putting out my prediction for Joker's classic mode enemies now that we know the theme for it:
  1. Horde battle with :ultgnw:
  2. :ultdarkpit:
  3. :ultdarksamus:
  4. Dark :ultlink:/:ultyounglink:/:ulttoonlink:
  5. Dark :ultmetaknight:/:ultkirby:
  6. :ultridley:/:ultganondorf:/:ultkrool:
  7. :ultbayonetta:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Anybody know when 3.0.0 drops tomorrow? I heard 9:00 pst, but I can't find a source on that. I hope that's not the time, if so I'll be at work by then and can't play Joker until 3:00 pm. :(

HaunterSpencer

Smash Cadet
NNID
HaunterSpencer
3DS FC
3583-3585-6107
Damn Im must say
I have NO interest in Joker being in smash (my money is actually on Elizabeth being playable LOL) and the only Persona game I finished was Persona 3
but his mechanics makes him very VERY interesting
He plays a hit and run style with weak attacks but turns into a pseudo puppet character once Arsene is out.
Kinda like Relius from Blazblue since his moveset changes whether you have the puppet out or not.

Im a sucker for Puppet/Companion characters so I'll probably steal Joker for a spin :^)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I was looking at Joker’s alts and I realized: am I the only one who thinks his red jacket alt and the fact he has a gun reminds me of a certain ****mothering vampire?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
honestly, the only thing to surprise me more than joker shadow dropping is jane being an almost grinch-esque convergence of multiple complete coincidences

once the dust settles tomorrow, i'll be interested to see what dataminers make of it - whether it was something to do with joker's school costumes ('jane' was costume 06, which is his first school uniform), ann as a stage element, or even just a dummy file/cut content now that we have all his files in complete form

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
It's currently 4:40 pm where I am (the Philippines): Does this mean Joker will be out by midnight later for me?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
honestly, the only thing to surprise me more than joker shadow dropping is jane being an almost grinch-esque convergence of multiple complete coincidences

once the dust settles tomorrow, i'll be interested to see what dataminers make of it - whether it was something to do with joker's school costumes ('jane' was costume 06, which is his first school uniform), ann as a stage element, or even just a dummy file/cut content now that we have all his files in complete form
Yeah, that was kinda weird

amageish

Smash Master
That's a sad avatar you have now, Gentlepanda... Hopefully she'll be kicking butt in P5R at least, whatever that turns out to be?

It's currently 4:40 pm where I am (the Philippines): Does this mean Joker will be out by midnight later for me?
I don't think so, unfortunately. The release date in Japan is the morning of the 18th due to time zones, with Nintendo's website noting maintenance at 9:50 AM JST on Thursday the 18th. Google says that would be 8:50AM for you in the Philippines.

lukinator1

Smash Apprentice
i think his alts might actually be based off the persona main game colors, purple is p2 i think, then blue for p3, yellow for p4, and red for p5

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
That's a sad avatar you have now, Gentlepanda... Hopefully she'll be kicking butt in P5R at least, whatever that turns out to be?
i'm not entirely discounting the possibility of her being upgraded to echo fighter and revealed at PSL (not counting on it either), but i think we'll have a much clearer image of what the file's significance is much sooner than that

D

Deleted member

I’m tempted to use my MyNintendo golden points on Joker.

But I also want to save them for Erdrick/Eight or Crash, so I’m currently with a dilemma.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman

I think it’s either cut content, or maybe we’re getting a Jane alt/echo after the Atlus Persona event later this month.

I think it’s weird to assume the ponytail stuff was Ann, wasn’t that data attached to a playable model?

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I’m ready. I have never played Persona 5, but one of my favorite things about Smash Bros is that the characters from games I have never played or heard of encourage me to check them out. More than anything, I can be a jerk in the stage builder again!

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I think it’s weird to assume the ponytail stuff was Ann, wasn’t that data attached to a playable model?
yeah - joker's files wouldn't be attached to mementos beyond the code changing his victory pose for p3/4 music, so if it was ann it'd be something like mementos_jane

since P5R's localisation is likely still a ways off, i even wonder if they'd save up a jane echo (like up to the time of challenger pack 3/4's release) to better tie in with the game's actual release

mysteries abound, but at least joker is actually here

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m ready. I have never played Persona 5, but one of my favorite things about Smash Bros is that the characters from games I have never played or heard of encourage me to check them out. More than anything, I can be a jerk in the stage builder again!
I share the same feelings.

Smash was the game that introduced the Metroid franchise to me, and I became a fan of the series after getting interested on playing the games after enjoying the stuff it had in Smash.

Hopefully a similar effect occurs with Joker.

D

Deleted member

On my Twitter, I posted a thread about how much Persona 5 and Joker being in Smash means to me.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Out of all the characters in Smash history, Joker is the most important to me and the one I am the most excited for. I don't think any character will surpass the amount of hype that I have for him.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Originally, I was going to post these to help ease off the wait, but what the hell.

D2CZAwdXQAY852s.jpg

D2CZAwfXQAEgeFv.jpg

D2CZAwfX4AEM3x4.jpg

D2CZAwfWsAA1Dnx.jpg

D4AcY7eWAAAEyQH.jpg

D4AcY7fXoAAkyME.jpg

D4AcY7eW4AAoFKB.jpg

D4AcY7gWkAAwkNT.jpg

D32PzPTWkAAsS3_.jpg

D32P0vjWwAAF4Yk.jpg

D32PzPVXoAAn5OW.jpg

This is exactly what I expected, but it's also what I wanted.
Me too.

D4VSTmQXoAYVBsd.jpg

Also, really happy to see that they included him in the mural. I was worried that might not happen with DLC fighters. It's such a small, unimportant thing, but I got really hype seeing that too.
Freaking seconded. Especially considering that the thing can be edited in photoshop anyway.

Man I am SOOOO happy I get the Easter holiday off from work, that means my sister and I, AND one of my friends whose coming over to my place can play around with Joker! XD
And to think that the Easter-themed screenshot in the previous Direct turned out to be a hint after all.

Does this mean we can go back to making fun of Square Enix
I guess so. Assuming there's going to be another character coming from them at all, anyway,

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Things that will feel wrong: fighting Piranha Plant (-2 kindness with every stock taken), and fighting female Inkling (beating on someone who looks like your sister).

Things that feel oh so right: literally everything else.

Oh my gosh, this is really happening. I wasn't ready. Ahhhhh

D

Deleted member

7365983D-E99A-4FFB-9F69-A06613CBC7E6.jpeg

Joker wearing his casual clothes in Smash is basically me IRL but with a paler skin.

Interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

A lot of people are already thinking he's going to be OP as all heck.

...I honestly did NOT get that impression at all seeing his trailer. He looks cool as hell, don't get me wrong! But crazy powerful is not what I see. I can't play until later today (gotta get through work first...but its slow, so I can just mess around here all day), but I'll just lay my thought process out:

- Eiha is weak. Like....crazy weak from what we saw. Even with its poison-like continual damage, it hit like 10% on that Lucas. (Or was it Ness? I confuse the two..). It may have just grazed him maybe? But it looked like a direct hit that only ended up being 10%. Maybe it could stack; who knows. One thing to know is that it didn't look like it had ANY knock-back at all.
- Gun is very similar to Bayonetta's in that he can use it all over the place (even in dodges; that's epic), but the damage output for it is small as well; it's basically just chip damage with no knock-back (may not even stun or interrupt like Megaman's lemons).
- Grapple Hook is gimmicky; like Samus' tether or the Belmonts' chain grapple, it can be difficult to use. At least for me it can. At least it's a simple up B that you can manipulate the direction for, but depending on how close you have to be when you fire it, it could be difficult to get yourself back to the edge.
- Rebellion Guard is similar to Limit, but you can't charge it yourself. You either have to let it charge on its own (which they said will charge faster if you're behind) or you have to fish for hits. You take half damage while using it, but there's plenty of characters who can abuse this and just rack up your damage with free hits while you try and get a charge. You also lose all charge thus gained if you're KO'ed. That means you'll pretty much always be using Arsene while lagging behind an opponent percentage-wise.
- Not being able to charge this gauge on your own is a lot bigger deal than people seem to be making it.
- Arsene is timed; he won't always be out once you max out the gauge, that means that regardless of your playstyle, you're encouraged to be much more aggressive once Arsene activates. This makes a player pretty predictable and opponents can just play a waiting game while they try to wait out Arsene. Those that can't escape will just fight as normal against a character they've already likely put a fair amount of damage into already.

And the Pros to this? He powers up, but we never actually saw just how much. I'm sure it's a significant amount, but probably not as game-breaking as people are making it out to be. His recovery becomes one of (if not the) best, that's for sure, but the other moves just get stronger as you'd expect and there's still no knock-back (Eihagon took up like the entire character screen, so I couldn't see if the opponent was stunned or not).

Basically, he's going to actually be somehwat similar to Lucario, if that makes sense. A little weaker than average at the start of a fight, but once he accumulates damage, he becomes a force to be reckoned with; a Revenge-Killer if you will. Of course, it's temporary though. I think that's the biggest thing holding Joker back from being the OP force a lot of people are initially believing him to be.

Unfortunately, I can't test my hypothesis on the matter out until later. Hopefully someone here can take a look. We need an unbiased look at just how good he actually is lol.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
What time is the update actually coming? I've heard 8:50 EST and 10:30 EST. Do we actually know for sure?
5:50 - 7:30 Pacific time. Info courtesy of a Nintendo update which I cant link because phone

Top Bottom