• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hi all, new Yoshi main.

Wafles

Smash Lord
Maybe it's just me, but I was a wolf main up until a few days ago. I played yoshi casually for probably a month, and this week seeing Dragonic Reverse for the first time, I'm a firm believer, Yoshi is a decent characters. Certainly not one of the better ones, but he's not below average.

My way of seeing it, I play online against someone named NickOfTime a lot, and he's rediculously good at everything (and he has one vicious wolf), but in the last couple days, when I decided to seriously start focusing on yoshi, things are just clicking, and I'm able to actually beat him fairly often, when I used to almost never win (maybe 1 match out of 10?). I was winning probably 4/5 matches, and I think it's partially a play style thing.

Yoshi's play style really includes a lot of mind games, as I see it, most of which involving bair, and of course this Dragonic Reverse.

My play style usually consists of egg spam from far away, egg roll when the opponent is using an attack with decent after lag to get in there relatively quickly (and hopefully rack on two hits, giving a nice damage boost). I try not to approach too much with bair, as it's relatively predictable, but it's usually not hard to find an opening for it, then string it into usmash (and follow up with an fsmash, or a couple jabs if they're at low damge). I've found dtilt pretty useful if the opponent is just bairly out of jab range, as it's quick and adds on a bit of a hit, and I think I've managed to master his instant ledge grab to get those kills a bit easier, but it seems most of his killing moves are verticle anyway. This seem like a decent strategy?

Oh, and as far as approaches, either egg spam -> dash attack when one hits, then follow it up with jabs or dtilt. Bair works fairly well, but once again predictability kills. Yoshi seems pretty decent as long as you dont lose your patience and be too offensive.

Opinions? Comments? I'm willing to say that as of now yoshi seems to be a mid tier character (yeah yeah, tiers in brawl dont exist yet, it's too early, but this is just speculation I guess).

Scala

Smash Ace
He probably has no clue how to fight against a yoshi. Actually, most of the population has no ****ing clue what's going on.

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
lol yeah, yoshi flies REALLY low under the radar, actually hes off it. He'll probably end up having the most useful techs in the game, albeit the hardest to learn.He is definatly MUCH better than people think, but yoshi has little representation, so he has no rep.

Youhei

Smash Rookie
I find it better to approach with a running dash after an egg toss. You are most likely going to face one of two scenarios. Either a) your opponent will shield, waiting for the running jab or b) your opponent will try to counter. These are the perfect times for the DR and I cannot tell you how many times I have knocked people off because of this. It is so unexpected because you just do not think we will be able to smash them while running. It is especially nice if you do this early in the game and make them think about it more throughout the game.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
The person you played probably never plays Yoshi. Nobody ever plays Yoshi But, still good job on beating him. And Yoshi is just a beast. When ever I go to tournaments and I play friendlies they always are like

Random Person: "its not my fault I lost its because I never played a Yoshi before."

Me: "No Johns."

yoshihybrid

Smash Rookie
Yoshi's dash is pretty fun, and due to the relatively little lag on it, and yoshi's quick dash startup, at the low and middle percentages, its possible to combo the dash into itself, creating an easy 20-40 damage while you run your opponent completely off the ledge...

And everyone knows what Yoshi does off the ledge.

Only the counters are escape a perfectly executed dashlock.

Oh, and welcome to the hi... I mean Island. Go and spread the word of Yoshi! Convert, convert!

Wafles

Smash Lord
Lol, I need a new sig in general, the white one obviously looks like crap on this dark forum.

I thought I fixed it, but I must have fixed it after I saved it and was too lazy to re-upload, lol.

And I will be entering all my tourneys as yoshi of course. =o

Edit:
New sig, how's that? =P

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Heh, very nice sig. And no corrections needed now, lol.

Anyway, welcome to the Yoshi forum. We could always use more Yoshi users. :)

Wafles

Smash Lord
Yeah, you guys seem to be a rather small group.

I seriously wouldn't mind being the only yoshi at any tourney that I go to, though, so hopefully yoshi stays undercover and off the radar.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
lol yeah, yoshi flies REALLY low under the radar, actually hes off it. He'll probably end up having the most useful techs in the game, albeit the hardest to learn.He is definatly MUCH better than people think, but yoshi has little representation, so he has no rep.
you speak the plain and simple truth

GO YOSHI

Bwett

Smash Ace
I approve of the sig sir, I approve. Welcome to the Yoshi boards. Unlike most boards, since our board is so small, we have a pretty tight knit family. We are all about proving the potential of the dinosaur so I hope that you can contribute.

Also, yeah, the only yoshi in tournaments will be you so get used to it. That is unless you go to Burntsocks in Cali, Pride in NJ, or me in Texas. =P

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Calm down or I'll make you cry for 20 seconds, whereupon five or six koopas will plop out of the sky and drag you to Baby Boozer's castle.
Speaking of signatures, I think I'm the only one of us to not have some imaginative pro-Yoshi thing underneath everything I say...

D

Deleted member

Les' sig is by far the best sig, as far as just writing. Do u mind if i snatch that for a sig im makin? Lol i really want to, its brilliant. I made my sig myself, i think its pretty cool =P

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Les' sig is by far the best sig, as far as just writing. Do u mind if i snatch that for a sig im makin? Lol i really want to, its brilliant. I made my sig myself, i think its pretty cool =P
Go for it. I was actually thinking of asking someone to make a sig with that for another forum, but I don't mind if you use it as well. That exchange actually happened, by the way. XD

yoshihybrid

Smash Rookie
Calm down or I'll make you cry for 20 seconds, whereupon five or six koopas will plop out of the sky and drag you to Baby Boozer's castle.
Speaking of signatures, I think I'm the only one of us to not have some imaginative pro-Yoshi thing underneath everything I say...
As I write this, neither do I.

But I'm going to change that.

Back to the discussion though, I be representin da' Ill, so I'm smack dab in the middle of most of you MWesterners.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I approve of the sig sir, I approve. Welcome to the Yoshi boards. Unlike most boards, since our board is so small, we have a pretty tight knit family. We are all about proving the potential of the dinosaur so I hope that you can contribute.

Also, yeah, the only yoshi in tournaments will be you so get used to it. That is unless you go to Burntsocks in Cali, Pride in NJ, or me in Texas. =P
or me in NoVA did you forget or did you not know? I did place 9th once and 17th the next time. But I have only been to two tournaments so far.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
Heh, I'm in Mississippi, an area (as far as I know) otherwise devoid of Yoshi. No tournaments now, but things may happen once I go back to school...MookieRah goes to the same college I do, so something may happen (other than my getting destroyed by him).

yoshihybrid

Smash Rookie
Let us mobilize the spreading of Yoshi.

Swallow up what tornements you can, consume the non-beleivers into the all-but-hive mind, our island shall become a country, then continant, then the entire planet shall be renamed Yoshi's paradise!

Curse this dinosaur halfbrain, it shamefull contains the half that checks for typo's.

bigman40

Smash Master
Well, next year, I'll be attempting to host my own tournies in GA. If people are willing to come then that'll be helpful. I know some people from TN will come if I get a good turnout (not yoshi main wise)

ArowYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Appalachian State University/ West Jefferson, NC
well i cant wait for appalaichan univercity tournaments to start up again, im heading to those. but for N Carolina, i guess its yoshi representor is me, i have a reputation where i live at being one of the best though i cant prove it (no online or tourneys)

i bet Chaco could go to the appalaichan tourneys, he lives in tenn right? that would be pretty sweet to have two yoshi mainers at those.

and welcome to the yoshi boards waffles

Wafles

Smash Lord
well i cant wait for appalaichan univercity tournaments to start up again, im heading to those. but for N Carolina, i guess its yoshi representor is me, i have a reputation where i live at being one of the best though i cant prove it (no online or tourneys)

i bet Chaco could go to the appalaichan tourneys, he lives in tenn right? that would be pretty sweet to have two yoshi mainers at those.

and welcome to the yoshi boards waffles
Wafles*

My name has one F, and always has. =P

Top Bottom