• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hey, even demoncaterpie makes mistakes

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Edit: This essay was written by an unknown writer.

Note: I wrote this essay for those who believe that Nintendo is
going down as a company and wants to know why they do the things they do. Most of the historical parts our true, the rest is logical reasoning and opinion. I try not to be like micheal moore.

Also, I didn't know where to put this essay, so I just place it here for the time being. I might like to post it in the Light House Section also, but anyway, here it is.

Nintendo is a game company. They have always been and always will be. Nintendo actually first began their industry selling collectible trading cards of some of their first characters (before Mario was even invented). After the tragic fall of Atari, Nintendo created its first counsel, dubbed Famicom (here, it's NES). They could easily sell the Nintendo in Japan, but they looked towards America, whose video game industry was down the drain, thanks in part to Atari’s fall. People back then didn't even want to talk about video games. They laughed at Nintendo for creating this system that played electronic games, a dead industry. So, Nintendo cleverly created a robot that could do many functions, and had the optional ability to play games. People loved this new robot, unknowing that the games it played where actually video games. Eventually, America grew to love video games, and Nintendo began to sell the NES, easily their greatest triumph.
After the success of the NES, Nintendo began to sell its new creation, the Super Famicom (or Snes). With 16 bit graphics, this was the most advanced system of its time. It easily beat out Sega as the greatest system not only because of its graphics (The genesis also was 16 bit), but because of the sheer quality of incredible games it had. The Final Fantasy games, Megaman, Mario, Mario RPG, the list goes on. But then, a new opportunity opened for Nintendo.

Sony approached Nintendo with a concept for making games. Sony was a big electronic company during this time. They sold speakers, CD players, and created the walkman. They proposed to use a CD engine for the Snes to improve graphic quality to incorporate 3D images. At first, Nintendo thought this was a great idea, and for three years, this dream slowly became a reality. But soon, Nintendo repelled Sony's contract. The reason? They ended up not liking the CD player and they could not stand the thought of Sony being in the game industry. And who could blame them? Video games should be made by people who only make games, the professionals. Anyway, Sony ended up making the Playstation on its own and became the largest Gaming company in the world.

Shortly after the PS2 and Gamecube, Xbox entered the gaming war. At first, no one really thought they could make a good system, till Halo came out. Most studies have shown that Xbox would have followed the path of the Dreamcast is Halo was not a release date game. It gave the company its much needed spark.
Now, for the point of all of this rambling. Sony is an electronic industry. They make Walkman's, MP3's, computers, etc. Microsoft is the leading computer industry. Nintendo is a game making company. They have never made anything besides games, which is reflected upon their hardware. The real reason they switched to disks is because of all the improvements it could make to games. That's why they stuck with cartridges. They want to make systems that only play games. The new Sony and Microsoft would add all of these features they have added before, but the fact remains that Nintendo only have, and will always, play games. The DS is made to revolutionize how we play games, just like the NES and Snes did before it. They didn't put MP3 or DVD's in their machines because video games should only play video games. They made America a top video game nation. Through incredible hardware that changed how we play games, just as the DS is doing. And that’s all they are doing, changing how we play games. To ask why they don’t have a DVD player in the Gamecube is to say why bakers don’t sell candles. It’s just not what they are. Nintendo is the baker. They bake and serve incredible games with incredible flavor and dough. Oh sure, it would be nice to add some milk to this bread, or maybe an after dinner breath mint. But that’s not what the baker sells. To do that, you’d have to go to another company. This baker only serves bread. And will always only serve bread.

Sorry for size. Anyway, most info comes from random sorces but two biggest our EGM and The Ultimate History of Video Games.

Hope you'll liked it
:D :D :D :D :D

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
¿

That was no essay; it had absolutely no objective and no real direction until the last paragraph. It was just a boring history lesson.

You're fired.

-I

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
Well, it's clearly a boring history lesson. However, as a boring history lesson, keep in mind that you went from "Sony made the PlayStation" to "Microsoft made the Xbox." You just totally skipped the part where Nintendo released the 64 and how PSX beat it out.

There are some grammar errors and confusing/poorly-worded sentences in there. You don't really explain much. What studies show that the Xbox would have failed without Halo? I've never seen them.

And the last paragraph only kind of explains Nintendo's actions, without really going into their reluctance to go online. It's just a bunch of company pseudo-logic that has already failed at convincing the people this essay is meant to be read by. Why even write this?

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Um, okay, about the essay.

I didn't actually write it:eek: :eek: :eek:

A friend of mine told me to post this Nintendo thing he made on as many websites as I could find. I just forgot to post his name, since most of this was copy and paste from a word document.

After actually reading the essay, I noticed how bad it was. Of course, being the friend I was, I didn't have the heart to tell him. I mean, it does have some good points, right?:confused: :confused:

I'm also deciding wisely not to put his name on this. I mean, he is a good friend of mine. I don't want to let people know who wrote this.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Yeah, I apologize again for the essay.

To make up for it, I will personally right the greatest fan fiction ever made. Starting now.

Mario walked down the road and got killed by Luigi. THE IRONY!!!11!!!!

Wow, that's an instant best seller right their. I overdid myself that time.

No seriously, I am going to write a fan fiction. Just don't talk about the essay.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Your '"friend's" essay is devoid of facts. You mention studies, but fail to cite them. "Studies show that..." is not a valid statement.

Nintendo didn't split with Sony for the reasons you mentioned. Allow me to actually cite something:

Sony was in a position to cripple Nintendo, and this deal set the stage for it to use Nintendo to win customers, steal licenses, and then discard the company. But there was more. Sony was the sole supplier to Nintendo of a key chip -- the audio chip -- inside the Super NES. It had been designed by Sony so that its full capabilities could be taken advantage of only by programmers working on an expensive development tool created by Sony. as one industry consultant put it, "Sony had Nintendo by the balls.... it was not a tenable position as far as Hiroshi Yamauchi was concerned. Because of that, he instructed Arakawa to proceed with the Philips deal. It was meant to do two things at once: give Nintendo back a stranglehold on software and gracefully **** Sony." The New York Times restated it more genteelly: "The move was widely seen as an attempt by Nintendo to enter the compact disc market on more favorable terms."
- Game Over by David Sheff

Your friend's intentions are good... maybe... but his facts are wrong. If he wants to write a manifesto on Nintendo, he should study more and put a bit more effort into it. Many extensive corporate biographies have been done on Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft especially.

And besides, Nintendo's sucking is a personal favorite rant of mine. They're using a business practice that won them the entire video game market... 25 years ago. Their business plan is antiquated and narrow-minded these days. Along with that, they've lost the single thing that made the NES and SNES so great: 3rd party support. Nintendo always had complete control of the supply of their games, but they still had waves of 3rd party support. For quite some time, the only "good" games on Nintendo have been 1st and 2nd party titles.

-Scav

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Originally posted by Scavenger382
Your '"friend's" essay is devoid of facts. You mention studies, but fail to cite them. "Studies show that..." is not a valid statement.

Nintendo didn't split with Sony for the reasons you mentioned. Allow me to actually cite something:

Sony was in a position to cripple Nintendo, and this deal set the stage for it to use Nintendo to win customers, steal licenses, and then discard the company. But there was more. Sony was the sole supplier to Nintendo of a key chip -- the audio chip -- inside the Super NES. It had been designed by Sony so that its full capabilities could be taken advantage of only by programmers working on an expensive development tool created by Sony. as one industry consultant put it, "Sony had Nintendo by the balls.... it was not a tenable position as far as Hiroshi Yamauchi was concerned. Because of that, he instructed Arakawa to proceed with the Philips deal. It was meant to do two things at once: give Nintendo back a stranglehold on software and gracefully **** Sony." The New York Times restated it more genteelly: "The move was widely seen as an attempt by Nintendo to enter the compact disc market on more favorable terms."
- Game Over by David Sheff

Your friend's intentions are good... maybe... but his facts are wrong. If he wants to write a manifesto on Nintendo, he should study more and put a bit more effort into it. Many extensive corporate biographies have been done on Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft especially.

And besides, Nintendo's sucking is a personal favorite rant of mine. They're using a business practice that won them the entire video game market... 25 years ago. Their business plan is antiquated and narrow-minded these days. Along with that, they've lost the single thing that made the NES and SNES so great: 3rd party support. Nintendo always had complete control of the supply of their games, but they still had waves of 3rd party support. For quite some time, the only "good" games on Nintendo have been 1st and 2nd party titles.

-Scav
Edit: Screw this, I can't stop lying to myself. It's worse to be known as a lyer then to be known for a crappy essay.

Yeah, I wrote the essay. It was actually just part of yahoo instant messenger debate me and my friend were having about Nintendo. He seemed to like what I wrote and suggested I post it on some websites. I remember that I was putting a lot of post on Smash Boards, so I decided to post it their. But, in my rush to post it, I didn't bother prewriting the essay or actually checking what I wrote. I tried to remember everything when I should have made it more acurate.

I deeply apologize for lying to all of you. It was a terrible thing for me to do, and I promise to never do it again.

To make up for it, I decided to write my own fan fiction on SSBM. I promise to make it much better then my essay, and I promise to tell the truth from now on when I post.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is probably the funniest topic I've ever seen in Creative Minds, partly due to your story and partly due to the responses.

Good show.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dude, that Moore guy gets on my nerves SO BAD.

"but the fact remains that Nintendo only have, and will always, play games. "

Umm...MAN was that a VERY blunt statement that can't be proven. If you're actually using 'facts' in this 'essay' (which it isn't, I write essays all the **** time, that was a rant) then specify when you use OPINIONS, too. At least, that's what I think (See, there I go. That way, nobody yells at me when I say something they disagree with...Though, somehow, it happens, anyway).

About the 3rd parties...

Yep, that's been Nintendo's weakness. However, they seem to be very confident in the DS and are striving for 3rd party support, which they've been slowly and steadily getting since the GCN came out, but maybe that's just me. Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil 4, Symphonia, and others have been released for GCN only or earlier than their PS2 counterparts. Of course, the others are like that, too, but that's the point. At least they're on better terms with Square, that's all I care about.

And yes, I'm a Nintendo fanboy. But, contrary to popular belief, that doesn't mean that I ONLY like Nintendo and think they're the God of gaming. Oh, no. I recognize the fact that Sony has been trumping them for a while now, but I still like the DS's creative potential more than the PSP, and I like more GCN games than PS2 games, though there are PLENTY of PS2 games I like.

I've even gotten some respect for Microsoft, who I used to dislike. They've proven that they mean business, and they're doing well for being the rookies out there. Cheers to them and their exclusive titles that go Live and rock the house.

And yes, this is more like Lighthouse talk than Creative Minds talk...

Honestly, I haven't been able to get IN the Lighthouse since the summer because I spoke out against 'spoiler' tags and tried to point out the rules stated about them in a Mod's face when I was following them as stated after being corrected. -_-' Ah, well. I seem to be a sucker for injustice due to my uncanny ability to make people mad at me unintentionally...

But I guess that's irrelevant, and now I'M the one rambling.

In short, that was NOT an essay by any stretch, and YOU, my friend, need to cut the lying. Now I don't know WHAT to believe about who wrote it or what.

---
"They're using a business practice that won them the entire video game market... 25 years ago."
---

I wasn't aware that Nintendo was dominating the market in '79. Mario wasn't around until '84, correct? ;) But I see your point.

Indeed. Nintendo does have to learn to trust 3rd parties. To be honest, though, some peoplewould rather pay $50 LESS for something that will just play games rather than dish out another $50-100 for something that will play CD's anbd DVD's...And go online. Not everyone has access to online gaming. Even so, Nintendo DOES need to start to embrace that online element in order to compete in the future.

Gah, I'd better stop now, huh?

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Originally posted by demoncaterpie

Mario walked down the road and got killed by Luigi. THE IRONY!!!11!!!!
I don't get it. What's irony about that? Irony is like when something is steely or silvery, only it's made out of iron. You last sentence is just an adjective describing nothing. Also, in your fgirst sentence, you should use active voice instead of passive voice; "...and Luigi killed him." The story will come out much more lucid this way. Only when you do this can you expect it to be published and sold for millions.

DarkKirby26

Smash Journeyman
Re: An Essay on Nintendo: For everyone

Originally posted by demoncaterpie

Nintendo is a game making company. They have never made anything besides games, which is reflected upon their hardware.

Just on a note here, I just heard that for the GBA they have movie cartridges now on a commercial. There goes the all video game career of Nintendo.

Oh and why lie about an essay? No one will end up trusting you if you keep on lieing about this.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Originally posted by tmw_redcell
I don't get it. What's irony about that? Irony is like when something is steely or silvery, only it's made out of iron. You last sentence is just an adjective describing nothing. Also, in your fgirst sentence, you should use active voice instead of passive voice; "...and Luigi killed him." The story will come out much more lucid this way. Only when you do this can you expect it to be published and sold for millions.
Okay...I was just joking.

Anyway, I realize that my essay was bad, and was not very accurate, and for that I am truly sorry. I have said this before, I promise to write more accurately and with much better grammar the next time I post in this section of Smash Boards.

Personally, I want to put this whole thing behind me:( :( :(

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Actually, I'm enjoying everyone taking him so seriously ^_^

HOW DARE YOU LIES TO US

I also forgot to mention that your biting commentary of the Creative Minds room was, in fact, the best thing you've written to date. Can I continue the story?

And then Luigi started having sex with Captain Falcon because they're gay!

There. Instant classic.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Well, surely Captain Falcon is not a rapist. See, some people get confused, because they think he's a racist, and they just spell it wrong, and once they spell it wrong, they think it wrong. But he's not a racist either, he's a racer.

So perhaps Luigi is bisexual. But I won't deny that Captain Falcon is the gayest gay who ever gayed.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Technically, Captain Falcon isn't gay. I've seen him **** Pikachus, Bowsers, Zeldas, Peaches, Marios, Nesses, Yoshis...

So technically, he's a bisexualbestiopedophile.

DarkKirby26

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Scavenger382
Technically, Captain Falcon isn't gay. I've seen him **** Pikachus, Bowsers, Zeldas, Peaches, Marios, Nesses, Yoshis...

So technically, he's a bisexualbestiopedophile.
Yep that's the best word for him.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Look, I understand how horrible lying is and I promise never to do it again.

I really want to make up for what I did. That's why I decided to write my own fan fiction. To show you guys that I can actually write okay and I'm not some Micheal Moore rip-off (since people already think I am).

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
And then Luigi started having sex with Captain Falcon because they're gay!
Yeah.

I just found out that Luigi's been cheating on me again.

These long distance relationships never work out.

Especially with Italians.

Edit: Screw this, I can't stop lying to myself. It's worse to be known as a lyer then to be known for a crappy essay.
So now you're known as a liar who writes crappy essays.

Oh ****, I hate you forever now.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Originally posted by Mediocre
Yeah.

I just found out that Luigi's been cheating on me again.

These long distance relationships never work out.

Especially with Italians.

So now you're known as a liar who writes crappy essays.

Oh ****, I hate you forever now.
I completely understand. I deserve to be called a lyer. I'm just asking for a second chance to make it up. That's all.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
...Demoncaterpie, some advice for you...

There is something in this world called sarcasm. Case closed.

On the subject of nintendo, I certainly agree that nintendo isn't perfect. They must realize that consumers want more-in-one devices, but I think with the DS they're are headed in the correct direction. True, Nintendo has had poor third-party support since the N64, but this is changing with the DS. So many companies have decided to make games on the new hardware because it's something new. Perhaps not all consumers want double screens and a touch screen and a microphone, but the guys who MAKE the games do. It let's them try something new, and because of this nintendo is getting tons of support on the DS. Already Square has announced FFIII, Eggmonster Heroes, and FF:CC. They recently released KH: Chain of Memories on the GBA. Namco has announced they'll be bringing Baten Kaitos and Xenosaga to the DS.

And yes, Nintendo was too slow for their own good about Online, but they're also changing that with the DS.

I just hope Nintendo can save themselves with the DS. Why? Not because I want then to triumph over X-Box and PS2. With competition comes the will to make the best possible systems and games you possibly can to win over your competetors. No, I want it because I don't want nintendo to die, just as I don't want Sony or Microsoft to die (not that they will, but for them to not fall out of the gaming buisness).

Oh, and uh, everyone knew you were lying.

EDIT: Unless, of course, you were being sarcastic also... about all of this. But for some reason I rather doubt that.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Originally posted by JediMasterYoda98
...Demoncaterpie, some advice for you...

There is something in this world called sarcasm. Case closed.

On the subject of nintendo, I certainly agree that nintendo isn't perfect. They must realize that consumers want more-in-one devices, but I think with the DS they're are headed in the correct direction. True, Nintendo has had poor third-party support since the N64, but this is changing with the DS. So many companies have decided to make games on the new hardware because it's something new. Perhaps not all consumers want double screens and a touch screen and a microphone, but the guys who MAKE the games do. It let's them try something new, and because of this nintendo is getting tons of support on the DS. Already Square has announced FFIII, Eggmonster Heroes, and FF:CC. They recently released KH: Chain of Memories on the GBA. Namco has announced they'll be bringing Baten Kaitos and Xenosaga to the DS.

And yes, Nintendo was too slow for their own good about Online, but they're also changing that with the DS.

I just hope Nintendo can save themselves with the DS. Why? Not because I want then to triumph over X-Box and PS2. With competition comes the will to make the best possible systems and games you possibly can to win over your competetors. No, I want it because I don't want nintendo to die, just as I don't want Sony or Microsoft to die (not that they will, but for them to not fall out of the gaming buisness).

Oh, and uh, everyone knew you were lying.

EDIT: Unless, of course, you were being sarcastic also... about all of this. But for some reason I rather doubt that.
I guess I'm a pretty bad lyer, then.

Anyway, I did write the essay, I understand that it's not accurate, and I am truly sorry about it.

I'm going to improve myself, though. My next piece of writing will have less errors and be more truthful (unless I'm writing a story) then this one.

I'm trying to make up for this essay, but now one's letting me do that, not that I don't blame them.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I still don't think you understand. So, just for you, I'm going to be nice and clue you in.

Nobody cares that you lied.

Nobody cares that you wrote a crappy essay.

If you just stop apologizing, people will forget it.

Just pretend it never happened and walk away.

If you apologize to anyone else, I will hate you for eternity.

Really.

If you just stop posting in this topic and go on with your life, I will maintain some limited respect for you.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Originally posted by Mediocre
I still don't think you understand. So, just for you, I'm going to be nice and clue you in.

Nobody cares that you lied.

Nobody cares that you wrote a crappy essay.

If you just stop apologizing, people will forget it.

Just pretend it never happened and walk away.

If you apologize to anyone else, I will hate you for eternity.

Really.

If you just stop posting in this topic and go on with your life, I will maintain some limited respect for you.
Awesome. Thanks guys. Well, I'm off to write my fan fiction. My last post on this thread.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Christ this topic is old.

1) Please use 2 line breaks between paragraphs

2) Bumping old topics is not a good way to make us forget about them

3) Eventually, I hope to see someone in this topic spell "Liar" correctly

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Hey, don't worry about it. I was pretty grouchy when I made my last post, so I'm sorry about what I said. Everyone makes mistakes.

It's kind of funny looking back at all this crap I tried to get away with here. I learned a lot from this, and I became a better writer because of it. Sometimes you have to make big mistakes to get big rewards, if that makes sense.

Next time, just post your piece in your own topic. Then we'll read it.

Top Bottom