• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Hey baby! How's it going?" - Rhythm Heaven's Karate Joe for Smash Ultimate!

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
I know, I immediately thought it was fake too. But it was originally just the character select screen. Then someone asked for gameplay and he posted the pic with G&W, then someone else asked for him using a hammer and he did, same with pic with Marth & Bowser. If it is fake then he's making these extremely fast.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I know, I immediately thought it was fake too. But it was originally just the character select screen. Then someone asked for gameplay and he posted the pic with G&W, then someone else asked for him using a hammer and he did, same with pic with Marth & Bowser. If it is fake then he's making these extremely fast.
Those stock icons look pretty good.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Better to be true because I'm starting to get hyped.
I have a good feeling about this anyway... this, and those other screenshots with Geno, Banjo and Dixie Kong, they seem very credible to me.
If both Karate Joe and Geno will make it, then 2 of my all time most wanted newcomer would be in the game!

By the way, the ingame "model" is less detailed than that artwork because it's based on the ingame sprite from his minigame, that's an artwork instead.
The model from the leaks fits with his classic sprite design, except for the face.
Why I think it's legit? Because the changes to his face were made to make the character more visible to the player, they made his eyes bigger and gave him a better facial expression, they made his hair bigger so you can see them more. All changes that good game designers and graphic designers would do, not something that would come from a fake leaker.

I'm positive about this, really, I hope it's all real and there is a good chance it actually is!

Eldrake

Smash Lord
That, or he's posing anonymously as the guys asking for these pics.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
This can still be fake after all, anyway.
I'm looking at the pictures with some more effort:
In one of the pictures, Karate Joe seems to not cast any shadow on the ground; other 2 pictures have Karate Joe with his feet covered by the camera angle and the platform; in the picture with Kirby, the belt has a strange prespective and seems applied.

If this is fake, then the people who are behind this are very competent, because this is probably the most credible leak so far, but it still has possible flaws.
Also, that other leak with the boxart of the game uses a different logo for the series, and they both seem credible leaks... though, if one is true, the other must be fake because the logo is different, right? (also even if the logo is different, the note has the same shape, so the leaks seem to be related in a way, maybe they are both fake after all?)

I don't know, I hope it's real but I must contain the hype and wait for a confirmation.

EDIT: I'm starting to think that this might be a work of the same person behind the Kirby Star Knights fake, if it's fake offcourse (which is not for sure yet, but after all those details I'm starting to think it is).

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Guys I think that fake leak has some pretty huge legitimacy now.

This guy on Reddit found out about the image numbers on the Smash Bros. Website and how they are in order of updates. During the time where the direct was supposed to air, there is a gap of three or four updates that were supposed to happen.

In the Japanese Windows 2003 leak that showed Karate Joe had it's image numbers as 134, which fits exactly with the blog update number.

Either the guy who make the fake knew about this obscure numbering system or that this might be the real deal.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Considering how little activity this thread gets and the incredibly promising details in that leak I'm hoping Karate Joe can catch everyone off guard by being revealed next direct. People seem to think all the possible newcomers are predictable but barely anyone thinks of an RH rep, let alone our rhythmic karate practitioner.

I know people like to remember when Shulk was a photoshop of Little Mac, but the nitpicks with the leaked blog images seem more like "Wario is leaking into Game and Watch's square!" to me. There's incredible attention to detail and the "debunks" do very little to prove it wrong.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The hope is that the Windows Server 2003 leak is true and the gameplay screenshot leak is fake.
The screenshot leak is 99.9% fake, I would say 100%, but the Windows Server 2003 leak can still be real, it has not been debunked so far.

Maybe the fake leak was made in few hours after the Windows Server leak, to ride its upcoming popularity and confuse people.
I hope Karate Joe is in, and I hope he will have a crazy moveset!

There's a possibility that they are both fake, so don't set your hype too high.

If Karate Joe is in Smash, this would make me VERY happy because it would be the proof that popularity is not the only factor Sakurai is considerning to put characters in Smash. The Chorus Kids were WAY more popular at the time of the ballot, if Karate Joe was chosen over them, this would mean that popularity counts only to an extent, and gives me hopes that some very requested characters who have no reason to be in Smash outside popularity can be excluded in favor of other more deserving characters who maybe are less popular.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Man, imagine if the conspiracy chairs was actually hinting toward Karate Joe the entire time and not Skull Kid like a lot of people seem to thinking.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The thing that concerns me the most, is this:

real or fake.png

The logo matches.
This means either that the fake leaker has drawn the logo over the one from the Windows Server 2003 leak, or that the logo is based on the same vectorial shape and they are made by the same person (it would mean they are both fake).

So far, there is a 60% of chance that it's true and a 40% of chance that it's fake... it's more likely to be true due to all those coincidences like the number of the post that matches exactly with the number of the missing post that has not been published due to the Direct being delayed.

Last edited:

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Personally, I'd love it. I want the leak to be true, and I feel like one of the few who does. I haven't played a RH game, but I would love a musical rep of some sort. I also think choosing a RH rep means a lot in terms of future choices of Smash Bros characters.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm pleasantly surprised to see that Karate Joe has supplanted Chorus Kids as the favored Rhythm Heaven character. My, have times changed.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
May I join in on the supporters list as well? RH is in desperate need for some rep in Smash, be it Karate Joe or Chorus kids. I'd like my favorite franchise on Nintendo get some love, thank you very much.

Also, just think about all the music it will bring, oh god. And I'm talking about new arrangements. Just thinking about the potential existence of Karate Man medley or Samurai Slice medley makes me happy.

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
Anyone think we should make a Rhythm Heaven General thread? There are so many different character choices for this series and it's causing multiple really small threads that don't go anywhere, with a niche series like Rhythm heaven I think we need a general hub to actually get some good discussion.

I'm a Karate Joe boy Myself but there have also been talks about Rhythm Girl, the Chorus Kids, Wrestler, Girl who interviews wrestler, Marshal, and of course Tibby, the barista and even the wandering samurai.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Anyone think we should make a Rhythm Heaven General thread? There are so many different character choices for this series and it's causing multiple really small threads that don't go anywhere, with a niche series like Rhythm heaven I think we need a general hub to actually get some good discussion.

I'm a Karate Joe boy Myself but there have also been talks about Rhythm Girl, the Chorus Kids, Wrestler, Girl who interviews wrestler, Marshal, and of course Tibby, the barista and even the wandering samurai.
Yeah, I like that Idea... Because at this point, I can take any Rhythm Heaven Representation I can get

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet

Since the Idea got some positive reactions I went ahead and made it!

https://smashboards.com/threads/rhythm-heaven-general-lets-band-together.458783/

JomSpoons

Smash Cadet
May I join in on the supporters list as well? RH is in desperate need for some rep in Smash, be it Karate Joe or Chorus kids. I'd like my favorite franchise on Nintendo get some love, thank you very much.

Also, just think about all the music it will bring, oh god. And I'm talking about new arrangements. Just thinking about the potential existence of Karate Man medley or Samurai Slice medley makes me happy.
Sorry for the late reply. You've been added!

Since the Idea got some positive reactions I went ahead and made it!

https://smashboards.com/threads/rhythm-heaven-general-lets-band-together.458783/
I love it! I recommend all Joe supporters should show their support for Rhythm Heaven on this thread as well!

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
You know what'd be cool? If they had a direct next Wednesday and announced a RH rep on Tsunku's Birthday :p

Edit: whoops, I thought it was the 24th, it's actually the 29th :X Either way, an announcement around his birthday would be really neat.

Last edited:

JomSpoons

Smash Cadet
Regarding the new Smash leak, I'd like to give my thoughts. If you don't want possible roster spoilers for Ultimate, then avoid reading any further.

Regarding the Chorus Kids in this leak, I just want to say if this is true then I am incredibly happy and 100% satisfied! Clearly Karate Joe is my ideal pick, but Chorus Kids were a close second for me. My only real gripe is that the Chorus Kids have not been in all the games, however the Conductor seems to be involved as well! That'd solve my gripe since the Clappy Trio have been in all four games. I am more than happy if this is true.

This has been quite the ride, and now we're at the final stretch. Here's hoping Rhythm Heaven makes it!

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
Even though it would mean my #1 is now forever deconfirmed, I can't even be mad! I'm just so happy that this series will finally be getting the recognition it deserves. Before today I had all but given up hope for a RH character, but things are really looking up.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'm happy with any Rhythm Heaven rep so I'll gladly take this leak. But here's hoping our lad Karate Joe gets his music featured in some way.

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
Wouldn't it be crazy if the guy in the middle of the chorus kids was Joe? You'd play as him and send out the kids like summons or something lol

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So... If Chorus Kids do get in, how likely do you guys think Karate Joe is as an assist trophy?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Well, RIP Chorus Kids. But there's a lot of RH Spirits at least. I saw "Fruit Basket" from Megamix as an available song too, so we know the music is actually in there as well!

JomSpoons

Smash Cadet
Sad the leak turned out to be fake, but I’m really glad to see we have a good amount of representation! At least 5 spirits and at least 1 song. Also, there is still a good chance Rhythm Heaven could be DLC. Hoping for the best!

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Sorry Joe didn't get in, I was really pulling for him.

Here, take this Mii so he'll at least live on as a Mii Fighter

Top Bottom