• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroics - X Team - A GAME OF CAT & MOUSE

Lumox

Smash Rookie
Focus my powers and try to convert a mass of light onto a single point on the pilot's face, accounting for the movement of the plane and the refraction of light by the cockpit. Try to include UV and Infrared light and basically try to burn the pilot like an ant under a magnifying glass.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
ooc: can I do something like a constitution check? Payload's feeling drained, but that's no excuse to allow teammates to die. I'd first like to roll to see if I can muster up sme do-or-die fortitude.

Here we go again. As said above, first roll a constitution check for that do-or-die fortitude.

Then, gauge the directions and speeds of the jets, as well as my own, so I can attempt to intercept them at where they are headed.

Muster my instincts and attempt to harness my momentum in a different direction than... Down. Jump up about 30 yards - attempting a long enough jump that I'm not losing altitude too quickly, but not so far that I'm further tiring myself. Ideally, I angle the momentum not just horizontally, but also upwards at about 30 degrees, so I can get a nice, speedy arc before air resistance takes over.

And, of course, fight like hell to not lose consciousness.
Constitution Check: 4

You feel tired from exertion, but adrenaline has taken over and you can keep fighting and using your power, although not at maximum effectiveness.

You attempt to port at an angle, preserving your momentum but directing it towards the flying jets.

Roll: 2

Payload feels himself start to port and consciously tries to manipulate his relative position to the earth as he ports through space. But its too much. He's never tried to use his powers this way. He's not even sure if it SHOULD be working and he's already tired from that last port.

Payload pops out of his teleport roughly 50 yards away and while he seems to have angled his descent a bit, coming out of the port with a slight trajectory change, its not even close to enough to help him keep up with the jets.

Focus my powers and try to convert a mass of light onto a single point on the pilot's face, accounting for the movement of the plane and the refraction of light by the cockpit. Try to include UV and Infrared light and basically try to burn the pilot like an ant under a magnifying glass.
Roll: 6

Lumox felt a surge of confidence, looking out the back of the plane where his teammate had just flown out into combat. He took aim and fired a highly concentrated laser at the plane giving immediate chase. It worked.

A beam of light shattered the cockpit and penetrated the skull of the pilot, killing him instantly

The jet tumbled out of the sky.

Attempt the same trick on the flaps of the remaining plane
Roll: 4

A surge of air lifts off from Stormgarde's general area and pushes the final jet, the one above their plane, up and away. Upon seeing a second comrade shot out of the sky, the trailing jet flees and heads back for the Xandanbourg border.

The jets were gone, but would clearly still be patrolling the border, should the heroes attempt to cross the border in the air again. They will have to collect their team and cross the border on foot.

==OOC==
Ok guys! Congrats on knocking out those jets. Take a moment to figure out how to group back up and once you are all together and ready for it, I'll launch you into the second phase of your mission.

Stromgarde

Smash Rookie
After the ringing in my ears dies down, I fly down to Garth, flloating down on his chute.

"So, I do all the work, and here's you, just hanging around? Where'd the dissapearing wonder go?"

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I could have sworn i was going to like do a sonic boom type thing

:phone:

Garth Blackburn

Smash Rookie
After the ringing in my ears dies down, I fly down to Garth, flloating down on his chute.

"So, I do all the work, and here's you, just hanging around? Where'd the dissapearing wonder go?"
"Yeah you were real busy trying to not use your powers up there last time I saw ya. Bonerbreath up there teleported me out here and bailed on me, though I guess its not really his fault."

Stromgarde

Smash Rookie
"Yeah you were real busy trying to not use your powers up there last time I saw ya. Bonerbreath up there teleported me out here and bailed on me, though I guess its not really his fault."
"Well I was pretty sure there was a reason why it was supposed to be a 'stealth' mission, and not a 'call attention to yourselves' mission. Anyway, the guy had a 'chute as well yeah? Might go up and check on the others if you're fine here."

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
so sorry everyone. I only have internet on my phone at the moment. Had to drive across the country this week and I'm waiting to get my internet installed. Will try to update from work tomorrow.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Ok Everyone... I'm alive. I actually took a day off work because I've been so buried with everything that I needed to get caught up with life and get my moving stuff done. So we're back on track now. I'll have internet in my place and now that I've hired an assistant I won't be SO buried at work. Wins all over. Let's get back at it!

==GM==

I'm going to go ahead and pull you all to the next location.

You are on the ground in the forest, about a mile outside of the mountainous Xandanbourg border. After forcing the fighter jets patrolling the border to bug out, your pilot landed in a safe zone nearby. You received updated orders that instructed you to navigate across the border on foot, using your particular powers to maintain maximum stealth.

News channels are reporting a "training exercise gone wrong over the Xandanbourg/Germany border" and both governments are sticking to that story. It seems the patrols were overzealous in protecting the border when they saw your plane headed in that direction and neither government wants to own up to the real purpose of the aircraft. There have been no mentions of superpowered individuals in the news or in any diplomatic cables.

However, satellite surveillance suggests that Xandanbourg patrols have moved into position along the border and are actively searching for trouble. Your mission will require you to traverse this area on foot, dodge the patrols and infiltrate a mining town on the other side of the mountains. You'll be navigating through some valleys that are a mix of exposed rocky surfaces and forest, so there will be plenty of cover and you won't spend much time climbing UP, just moving across the terrain.

Below is the map of the area you are trying to traverse:

White squares are passable terrain
Gray squares are the jagged mountain regions that are either impassable or likely to get you seen by air patrols. You do not want to attempt to cross those.
The "X" represents your team's current position.

Your team can move two squares at a time. Where you go will be determined by your team captain. Lumox is free to consult you all on where to go or just lock in his action with something like:

Action: Move two squares right or Action: Move one square up and one square left

Each player can then lock in either Agree or Resist for this turn. I'd appreciate it if you tried to use some roleplaying to justify your "agree" or "resist" action, but you don't have to write a book about it. If all players "agree" then Lumox will get to lock in an additional square for this "turn" of play.

So why resist? Because you may encounter patrols on your way and be forced to engage in combat. You cannot allow them to alert others of your presence or you are likely to fail your mission. If you resist on a turn in which your team encounters a patrol, you gain an MVP point and you'll gain an advantage in the combat. And however long it takes your team to make your moves, the patrols will move every 48 hours of REAL time. So there is a high likelihood of at least one combat scenario.

So feel free to get started. It's spring time, so the forests are green but not completely lush. Any water you encounter will be cold, as its coming down from the still-snow-covered peaks of the mountains. You are unlikely to run into much wildlife, so don't worry about that. Just focus on our little mini game and we'll get you through to your next portion of the mission.
====

Lumox

Smash Rookie
"Alright team, let's just get through this area quick so we don't have to deal with any annoying combat. IF everyone keeps together, we'll be out of this even faster. I hope no one feels like risking their lives to feel cool."

Action: Move one square right then one square up.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Sooo... was waiting around for the rest of the team. Guess I'll ping them so we can keep this party moving.

Top Bottom