• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

Interesting, let's just wait for announcements as I remember some listings like Heroes 1 & 2 appearing before with no followup.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Looking back at all other DLC character stages, it makes think about who we could’ve gotten as cameos on Yggdrasil’s Altar, compared to what we got. Besides the main DQXI party, it would’ve been nice to see other party members across the series (mainly from the four represented Heroes) show up as cameos. I would’ve imagined that, based on how cameos in the KoF stage works, the party members for each respective title would show up depending on the music playing on the stage, with up to three party members showing up as cameos to a total of 12 characters.

Here’s how I would’ve done it:
DQIII: Female Sage, Male Warrior, and Male Wizard (based on something in DQXI)
DQIV: Alena, Torneko, and Meena (Alena and Meena are fairly popular in their own right and Torneko was the protagonist of several spinoff games)
DQVIII: Yangus, Jessica, and Angelo (the original party members before the 3DS remake added in Red and Morrie)
DQXI: Erik, Sylvando, and Jade (The top three most popular party members)

At the very least, having more characters from DQXI periodically show up would’ve been nice.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've made a decent amount of progress in Dragon Quest XI today. I've just reached the spot that was made into the Dragon Quest Smash Bros. stage, and while I've explored most of the locations on the world map, this is clearly a turning point rather than the endgame - at least two areas are blocked off (a volcano near Hotto and a place that has strong ties to the Luminary), Sylvando and Erik have issues with their (implied) hometowns that haven't been resolved yet, and there's a massive chunk of the bestiary and the Tickington sidequests that hasn't been covered yet.

Also, the thread is under new management! Congrats, TheYungLink TheYungLink !

D

Deleted member

Hey TheYungLink TheYungLink , congrats for becoming the thread owner! You are a truly big DQ fan and I am happy you got such a cool honor.

And right now I'm really hyped for the DQ game that game that is releasing in the West soon.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I'm playing through dragon quest 3 and over all I like it so far I'm at the part with the sleepy town
I don't like how it ends for the the fairy girl and the human boy
other then that tho everything's great

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Hey, everyone, I've been incredibly busy and very tired this past week, but just letting you know I will update the OP at some point. Not with too much, as Ryumo's OP was already great and it's been more or less copy pasted onto mine, but you'll see a.few changes here and there.

I know what part you're talking about, NoOtherPersona. It's very sad, yes.

D

Deleted member

Alright, time for one of my last posts here. Glad I got to hang around with y'all during all this time even before the arduous months pre-reveal. Hope for the best and happy adventuring!

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
The OP should be updated sometime tomorrow btw. I found some time, so it should look different by then.

Edit: The OP has been updated! I still need to make a tiny bit more tinkering on the recommendation list I made at the bottom of the first post when I have some more time, but I'm satisfied with all the adjustments made to it so far.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

Google Translate gives me "February 10, 32 years ago, was the release date of 'Dragon Quest III and the Legend...'!"

I assume "the legend..." refers to the second line of katakana written under the logo on the boxart: ドラゴンクエストIII そして伝説へ…

Either way, Yuji Horii reflects on this day.

Google Translate gives me "On that day, some people lined up late at night, and went on a bike ride to see the line. During the cold, there were so many people lined up and I remember feeling sorry. For 32 years, I didn't think it would last. Thank you very much, users."

All in all, it's very heartfelt and gracious. Happy birthday, Dragon Quest III!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Google Translate gives me "February 10, 32 years ago, was the release date of 'Dragon Quest III and the Legend...'!"

I assume "the legend..." refers to the second line of katakana written under the logo on the boxart: ドラゴンクエストIII そして伝説へ…

Either way, Yuji Horii reflects on this day.

Google Translate gives me "On that day, some people lined up late at night, and went on a bike ride to see the line. During the cold, there were so many people lined up and I remember feeling sorry. For 32 years, I didn't think it would last. Thank you very much, users."

All in all, it's very heartfelt and gracious. Happy birthday, Dragon Quest III!
Sweet! Might drop him a line later! Happy b-day to the game that got me obsessed with the series!

Very tempted on getting this one. Then again, might get it after the amiibo. I second the hoping we get more heroes. But my boy eleventeen is already my favorite nendoroid.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, seems that Terry's Wonderland is indeed confirmed for the Switch.

https://nintendowire.com/news/2019/...oid-terrys-wonderland-retro-heading-to-japan/

Since it was already localized, we should be getting that with no problems.

On a side note, I salute whoever's the executive that suggested Hero to Sakurai in the first place. It takes balls of Metal Slime to break one of DQ's crossover habits like that, and we'll never know who they are.

Sweet! Hopefully we get Nendoroid versions of other Dragon Quest characters too.
Same. I could see Slime, Alena and Jessica lending themselves pretty well into being adapted as some.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm 110 hours into Dragon Quest XI - I've beaten the game and most of the post-game bosses. I just have one more enemy to go to complete my monster list - the Timewyrm. I haven't had any luck so far, though I found a strategy that got it to low health. Since that attempt, I've upgraded my equipment for my main party to either +2 or +3, though I'm going to try to level up my party a few times and track down as many Skill Seeds, Pep Pops (or whichever item gives your entire party Pep Up), Yggdrasil Leaves, and Elfin Elixirs as I can before I try again. (I might need the skill seeds for Rab; for whatever reason, the game doesn't seem to naturally give you enough skill points to get all of the skills for any given party member)

I don't know if I'm going to jump into another Dragon Quest game immediately after this (I don't want to get burned out), but I'm enjoying the game, and outside of this major difficulty spike (even the other pieces of post-game content weren't as challenging as this), it's been a lot of fun. Whenever I do play another Dragon Quest game, my choices are 3, 8, and 9; I think I'll go with 3.

Last edited:

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Also, seems that Terry's Wonderland is indeed confirmed for the Switch.

https://nintendowire.com/news/2019/...oid-terrys-wonderland-retro-heading-to-japan/

Since it was already localized, we should be getting that with no problems.

On a side note, I salute whoever's the executive that suggested Hero to Sakurai in the first place. It takes balls of Metal Slime to break one of DQ's crossover habits like that, and we'll never know who they are.

Same. I could see Slime, Alena and Jessica lending themselves pretty well into being adapted as some.
Terry's wonderland only ever got localized in the old translation style, which used very different spell and monster naming conventions among other things, so if it does come west I would expect a completely new translation.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm 110 hours into Dragon Quest XI - I've beaten the game and most of the post-game bosses. I just have one more enemy to go to complete my monster list - the Timewyrm. I haven't had any luck so far, though I found a strategy that got it to low health. Since that attempt, I've upgraded my equipment for my main party to either +2 or +3, though I'm going to try to level up my party a few times and track down as many Skill Seeds, Pep Pops (or whichever item gives your entire party Pep Up), Yggdrasil Leaves, and Elfin Elixirs as I can before I try again. (I might need the skill seeds for Rab; for whatever reason, the game doesn't seem to naturally give you enough skill points to get all of the skills for any given party member)

I don't know if I'm going to jump into another Dragon Quest game immediately after this (I don't want to get burned out), but I'm enjoying the game, and outside of this major difficulty spike (even the other pieces of post-game content weren't as challenging as this), it's been a lot of fun. Whenever I do play another Dragon Quest game, my choices are 3, 8, and 9; I think I'll go with 3.
Good luck on the Timewyrm! It gave me a hell of a fight, even when I was loaded with Elfin Elixirs and spamming Magic Burst.

If you use Forbearance to tank their incredibly strong attacks, that helps a lot, too.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Good luck on the Timewyrm! It gave me a hell of a fight, even when I was loaded with Elfin Elixirs and spamming Magic Burst.

If you use Forbearance to tank their incredibly strong attacks, that helps a lot, too.
I did manage to beat it! It took every Pep Pop that I had (at least three of them went to waste because the boss immediately removed my team's power-ups), a lot of uses of Yggdragon's blessing, and blind luck (Jade, in my back-up team, got enough crits in with her Multifeet ability to ignore the boss's defense boost), though the way I see it, it makes up for the terrible luck of the Timewyrm getting six attacks in a row after I defeated its tail and got its health down to the point where its name was orange.

Now I've beaten every monster in the game, so I think I can feel satisfied that I've completed it. (At least, in my eyes - not going to bother completing every quest or getting one of every item)

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I did manage to beat it! It took every Pep Pop that I had (at least three of them went to waste because the boss immediately removed my team's power-ups), a lot of uses of Yggdragon's blessing, and blind luck (Jade, in my back-up team, got enough crits in with her Multifeet ability to ignore the boss's defense boost), though the way I see it, it makes up for the terrible luck of the Timewyrm getting six attacks in a row after I defeated its tail and got its health down to the point where its name was orange.

Now I've beaten every monster in the game, so I think I can feel satisfied that I've completed it. (At least, in my eyes - not going to bother completing every quest or getting one of every item)
That's great news, I moved on from the game myself after beating the Timewyrm. Have fun with whatever you play next, and hopefully you do check out a few other DQ games someday.

D

Deleted member

That's great news, I moved on from the game myself after beating the Timewyrm. Have fun with whatever you play next, and hopefully you do check out a few other DQ games someday.
My personal suggestion for the next DQ game to try is either DQV or DQ8.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
To be clear, I already own 3, 8, and 9. (Got 9 because I wanted to check out the series, not realizing that it seemed to have more of a focus on multiplayer than the others). I got 3 on the Switch and 8 on the 3DS.

D

Deleted member

To be clear, I already own 3, 8, and 9. (Got 9 because I wanted to check out the series, not realizing that it seemed to have more of a focus on multiplayer than the others). I got 3 on the Switch and 8 on the 3DS.
Really nice choices I would say!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hey everyone! Just wanted to share a few pictures.
Hope you like them.
Happy valentines everybody!

Attachments

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Is the animation of Hero's jab combo based on anything? I've always thought it looks a bit weird.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Is the animation of Hero's jab combo based on anything? I've always thought it looks a bit weird.
It's odd, yes. However, after playing Dragon Quest XI, the underhanded way of wielding the sword during jab combo may come from that game.

In DQ11, the hero can learn 6 specific sword skills called -splitter attacks. I won't say how because of spoilers, but basically, the hero imbues their sword with one of 6 elements (ex. Skysplitter, Brightsplitter), then shoots the elemental magic out as a wave by swinging the sword underhanded. The pose they make at the end of the attack animation is very similar to The Hero's initial jab 1.

Otherwise, yes, it's very awkward that instead of swinging their sword more naturally and attack in a wide circle like other swordfighters, they have to attack with the range of a tall rectangle instead. My guess is that Sakurai knew that, as the archetypical JRPG sword characters, he needed to make the Dragon Quest Smash character basic and straightforward, but still wanted to find ways to make them stand out. It may have contributed to their more iffy jab combo.

If it were up to me, I'd just copy paste Link's standard jab combo onto them. More range and it helps make them more newcomer friendly.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's odd, yes. However, after playing Dragon Quest XI, the underhanded way of wielding the sword during jab combo may come from that game.

In DQ11, the hero can learn 6 specific sword skills called -splitter attacks. I won't say how because of spoilers, but basically, the hero imbues their sword with one of 6 elements (ex. Skysplitter, Brightsplitter), then shoots the elemental magic out as a wave by swinging the sword underhanded. The pose they make at the end of the attack animation is very similar to The Hero's initial jab 1.

Otherwise, yes, it's very awkward that instead of swinging their sword more naturally and attack in a wide circle like other swordfighters, they have to attack with the range of a tall rectangle instead. My guess is that Sakurai knew that, as the archetypical JRPG sword characters, he needed to make the Dragon Quest Smash character basic and straightforward, but still wanted to find ways to make them stand out. It may have contributed to their more iffy jab combo.

If it were up to me, I'd just copy paste Link's standard jab combo onto them. More range and it helps make them more newcomer friendly.
I don't really see how the animation of Link's jab gives it more range outside of the Z-axis. Link's Master Sword is just longer than the Heroes's weapons, full stop.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey just saw Dragon Quest: Your Story on netflix. :)
Looks like a bunch of people will get to be able to see it now.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I need a little help.

Anyone remember an interview where Sakurai commented on him pushing Hero to DLC so that he could make the music more affordable by having them as DLC?
I could swear I didn't imagine this interview... any ideas?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Hello everyone, I saw this on my feed today and thought you would all enjoy it!

Playing it for the first time about 5 years ago, I got the strong impression that a lot of thought was put into how the world of Dragon Quest I was constructed. Indeed, this Twitter user visualizes how the geography and locations of everything tell a story to the player, all by themselves, as you explore every inch of it to reach Charlock Castle.

Edit: Here's the full image if you want to have an easier time reading all the text

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hello everyone, I saw this on my feed today and thought you would all enjoy it!

Playing it for the first time about 5 years ago, I got the strong impression that a lot of thought was put into how the world of Dragon Quest I was constructed. Indeed, this Twitter user visualizes how the geography and locations of everything tell a story to the player, all by themselves, as you explore every inch of it to reach Charlock Castle.

Yeah! I noticed this too when I first played this Game!

It is honestly a really great overworld map to start the series with back in the day, to show in a decent way the basics of how the game worked through the insticts of the player.

Quite really smart level design for the time.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Does anyone feel like DQXI's plot is heavily inspired by Trials Of Mana, and the remake of the latter is likewise taking some cues from the former in order to expand upon it?

Top Bottom