• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes, a reason to watch NBC this fall

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Did anyone else watch the premiere?

For those of you who don't know Heroes is a show following the lives of different people around the world you are discovering they have ,as the show calls them. "special" abilities.

Go to NBC and search for heroes if you want more info.

It's only one episode but for a premiere I thought this was pretty cool show. Each of the people this show follows is discovering or has already discovered their powers. One of the most interesting things about this show is watching how everyone handles their powers differently.

If you missed the premiere it will be shown again tommorow.

Major spoilers for first episode:

At the end of the show when the guy who might be able to fly jumps right before he did I started thinking, maybe he can't fly? He said he felt his brother when he was hurt. Earlier on he said sometimes he dreamed he was falling and sometimes he was flying. So maybe his ability is just to know what his brother (and possibly other people) is experiencing. The prophecy showed him falling not necessarily flying.

I thought it would make a good plot twist if he fell and died and we found out his brother was really the one who could fly.

Then he jumps and his brother ended up catching him. I was close. :p

Anyways I won't post anything else unless someone else is watching this show. I don't want to talk to myself. :(

EEvisu

Smash Lord
I'l talk to you about it =)

I also saw the premire of this show and it was pretty good because I just really wanna know if there so called "heros" can really prove there a step above humans with unatural gifts. The flying thing kinda made me nervous I thought it was a suicide waiting to happen but luckly it did not go down like that, cant wait to see he rest of them.

Dibs

Smash Lord
I've been moderately hyped for this show. My mom also taped it for me last night so I might check it out tonight.

applejack

Smash Journeyman
I saw most of it.
It isn't really that new. All of Marvel's heroes had to go through this experience and they ended up okay, most of them.
I am however interested in the mom's powers. Not because of her looks, she has a very new power or curse, I guess.
And the Japanese guy was very unoriganal.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
(Some minor spoilers below; readers beware)

I'm caught in between interest and disdain. On one hand, there's some really interesting characters--a completely geeky Japanese guy (he quotes issues of X-men, holy crap), and a dimensionally schizophrenic pr0n lady.

On the other hand, the premise and handling of the characters is utterly cliche--there's your standard teleporter (a la Nightcrawler), regenerative person (a la Sabertooth/Wolverine), etc. Even worse, the explanation for these powers is suggested to be genetic. And even more cookie-cutter standard is the fact that you have the usual bad guy who wants to study these "specimens" for scientific purposes.

I'm pretty sure that this basic storyline was the premise for Mutant X, if any of you have seen that show before.

. . .the show has some potential. I'm willing to give it a shot, but it's definitely not as interesting as, say, Lost.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Okay, I just watched it, and I enjoyed it. I liked the guy who painted stuff from the future. While psychic powers aren't totally original, the fact that he painted out scenes that he would later see is new to me. Also, when the cheerleader sticks her hand down the garbage disposal, wow.

It wasn't the most awesome show I've ever seen (and seems to try and copy some things from Lost, like the fact that these seemingly random group of people are all connected in ways that they don't realize), but it was pretty good.

applejack

Smash Journeyman
I heard Lost hasn't really moved forward in the plot in a few seasons........could be wrong, never seen the show
But I do agree that Heroes is a little generic so far.
But it looks like all the characters are connected in some ways (besides the obvious ones, like they all have powers).
And you just used X-men two times in your post, why can't they?

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Cliche? Who cares? There really aren't that many new super powers that you can think of right now. It's all been done already.

The psycho mom was pretty cool, though. I think that guy who jumped off the building will get his own powers soon enough. Of course, he could just stay at the sidelines, secretly hating his brother until he betrays him to the evil scientst.

Aiser

Smash Lord
<_< I'll only watch this if it makes it to the second season, after the bull**** NBC did to surface they're lucky I didn't bomb the ****. <_< and yeah I'm that pissed off about surface still.

from the sound of it though it sounds like a pretty decent show, maybe I'll try and put my loathing of NBC asside lol.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
^ what happened to surface, please tell me they did not cancel it...

Oh I rewatched heros lol I think that stripper and super cheerleader are forsure gonna cause the biggest impact and mabe that little asian guy to since he can like bend time.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
Why it was such a good show, NBC are full of idiots!!!! I'd rather have Surface then Heros...

Aiser

Smash Lord
^ No idea but I suspect its because nbc has neverbeen much of a Sci-fi fan. they had an average of about 8 mil viewers and the season finally had 10 mil. But back on the topic of Heros I'll check it out, a friend of mine said it was good, so I'll put my disgust of nbc aside..for now. <_<

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
^ what happened to surface, please tell me they did not cancel it...
So you liked the show but havent even tried to watch it for a year?:laugh:

I saw tonight's episode and it was alright, I guess. The problem is that none of the characters really get their time in the spotlight. Everything feels too rushed with at least seven little stories all happening at once.
:laugh: and I didn't even realize the cheer leader's dad was the evil scientist the first time

applejack

Smash Journeyman
I kind of like how it is seven or so stories going on at once. You see how they interact and grow at the same time.
Though I don't know if the dad is the big evil. Both times they address him it is as the "face of evil". That makes me think that there is a bigger problem.
I am not really surprised by the younger brother flying but the depression thing could be interesting.
The Jackel and Hyde mom is kind of disturbing.
I don't really like watching Claire's story. There is always one thing that just makes you say Ow.
But they did introduce two new characters. The telepathy cop and the super powered serial killer.
Still hope that this show can bring in something fresh and new.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Any quesses on what the seriel killer's motives may be? How he fit in to th story? I thought that he may be working for the evil gy at first, but I dont know. I doubt he's killing just for the sake of killing sinse he's taking brains with him.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Wow. I take back everything I said about the 1st episode. . .the 2nd episode took everything and made it better. Much, much better.

The ending twist was friggin' incredible, and built up the presumed ending a lot more than before. . .and the pr0n mom's powers are much more disturbing. Serial Killer and the telepathy cop were also great additions.

Just a few notes: I'm betting that Suresh Jr's neighbor is working for the bad guys. I'm also betting that the impending catastrophe is probably caused by these heroes; i.e. a kind of fate/destiny thing where they're actually working to prevent the future, but only help the future come to pass (Oedipus Rex, anyone?).

. . .plus, I'm getting a serious Akira vibe from the very last seen of episode 2. City destroyed in giant explosion? Straight from Akira. :laugh:

applejack

Smash Journeyman
Any quesses on what the seriel killer's motives may be? How he fit in to th story? I thought that he may be working for the evil gy at first, but I dont know. I doubt he's killing just for the sake of killing sinse he's taking brains with him.
Obviosly he was once "studied" by Mohinder(was that his name?)'s father and may have started all of his research.
He may be connected to the Mom's alter ego, unless she killed a lot of people and buried all of them. Both are serial killers and wasn't the guy in the trunk missing part of his head? Maybe not, I didn't get a good look.
I wonder who Claire's parents were. Who thinks that the dad hired actors to play her parents, like in Kyle XY?
Now that I think about it the girl is probably working for somebody else.
Doesn't The 4400 have a story like this? People get powers, have to stop catastrophie but probably cause it anyway? Is anything in this show new? It is good but something new would be nice.
I kinda think that eventually they are going to make a giant watchtower in space and wear spandex costumes.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Obviosly he was once "studied" by Mohinder(was that his name?)'s father and may have started all of his research.
You mean the guy in the answering machine? Something about the Doctor wanting to know his limits but then becoming afraid of him?
I kinda think that eventually they are going to make a giant watchtower in space and wear spandex costumes.
Yeah!

applejack

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the guy on the answering machine said his name was Syler. The Doctor tried to find out what he could do and when he started to be able to do more he became afraid. I would guess that he tried to kill Syler. Syler seemed very smart and in control on the phone.

lol

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
I think it's kinda closed-minded to call Heroes generic. I've never seen a show quite like it before. If it reminds me of any other quality show it'd be 4400. I mean with a great concept like this, it's hard to find good application, but I think they've done VERY well thus far and kept things hard to keep up with, like the murders in episode two. And I thought the way the executed the powers of the japanese teleporter was perfect. It's just like you might imagine the concept of teleportation or time travel, as a kid, hard concentration.
So I'm two thumbs up for Heroes thus far.

applejack

Smash Journeyman
Scientist studies "genetic disorder" that produces super powers. = X-men.
Many of said super powers are already used. Hyper healing, time travel, teleport, telepath, freeze power, flying, alter ego, ect, ect...= Marvel and DC.
Random humans come together to stop a catastrophie that they may well cause.= The 4400 and X-men(the whole war between mutants and humans).
Super human gone rogue+ evil scientist= many many many stories.

Nothing bad about the show, I give it two thumbs up too. It has all just been done before, well so far at least.

BearBoy

Smash Apprentice
The japanese guy who's name escapes me and the mother are by far the most interesting aprts of the show. Im also wondering if the current villain of the show has the power to freeze people, ya know ice powers.

applejack

Smash Journeyman
Mom = Doctor Jackell and Mr. Hyde. A very old legend.
Japan guy = not so much teleport as much as fast travel to an area. Time travel has been done before (many times), but excluding the movie "Click" I can't think of another fast forward power. Eh, I'll give them that one.
The dad didn't seem like much of a serial killer. More like a mastermind. Plus he talked to Mohinder (wasn't that his name?) and I would think that he would reconignize the Patient Z. Could be wrong though.

Dibs

Smash Lord
Just got done watching this weeks episode.. I really wish I hadn't missed the first ones. Any chance that the first episode is on youtube?

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Holy crap, Sylar is friggin' broken. He not only has mind control over other people (a la "the Pusher" from X-files), but he gets nailed by 5 bullets and comes back to life. Truly freaky stuff. And I agree with everyone else that Hiro is waaay too powerful. Time stop = too godly.

Aside from Hiro and the pr0n mom, I think the cop is now my new favorite--just they way he's figuring out his powers and having fun with it at the bar is pretty hilarious. It's too bad that he's probably going to be screwed over, since previews show him captured and isolated.

And I hope the cheerleader girl dies soon. No more teen drama plz, NBC. If I wanted that kind of low-budget crap, I'll watch OC or Gilmore Girls. :laugh:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Judging by the most recent episode, Claire can be killed if impaled, but she can regenerate if the object is removed. I doubt she'll die anytime soon...and even then, her death would probably have to be spectacular since almost nothing can kill her.

applejack

Smash Journeyman
3rd.

I think that Hiro is more dramatic than powerful. but I agree that he is really strong (just more dramatic).
Why are you surprised that Sylar is so strong? The villain is always much stronger than the hero, especially if it is a team of heroes. It is still seven to two, maybe three if you count the guy at the bar.
Speaking of him who thinks that he has powers too? Or maybe he just has a very empty head.......
Poor cop/FBI guy. He has a broken marriage and now he is going to be in.....trouble.
I don't like to watch Claire's story that much. Not so much because of all the drama, but because there is always a moment that makes you say "Ow". She was lying on a table with her chest missing. "Ow" and "Ew". I wonder how she will explain being alive. The preview showed her with the other guy......crashing into a wall.
Is the next episode going to be when they all realize that "with great power comes great responsibility"? It showed just about all of them about to abuse their power.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm thinking Sylar is the hero-turned-villain type of person, and it will be revealed why he decided to do what he is doing. As for Hiro, he might be able to go back in time and find out what exactly caused the powers that everyone has, though that won't be until he can control his time-traveling abilty.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I don't think that Hiro can teleport. He just speeds up time until he gets to a place. It took him five weeks to get to NY.
Er, then how did he go from a subway in Tokyo to the streets of New York City? He would remain in the same place, not end up in a different continent. Unless they have subways that go from New York to Tokyo...

applejack

Smash Journeyman
I don't know 100%. But teleporting is usually instant, it took him over a month to go there.
I guess that it took him the same amount of time it would have if he had gone naturally. He just wasn't aware of the time. Like a fast travel.
Ever seen the movie Click? Adam Sandler and the girl from Underworld are in it. It was out over the summer. I guess it is like that, unless his powers get stronger.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Hiro might possibly teleported and time-traveled at the same time. Keep in mind, he JUST discovered his powers. When the series progresses, he'll have more control and focus with use. Not to be cliche, but you don't ride a bicycle or drive perfectly the first time you try.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
He can bend time and space, please forgive him if he messes up. As for the girl, why didn't she regenerate right away? The stick had to be taken out of her first.O_O

Top Bottom