• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

help!

smashfan34

Smash Apprentice
what should I do against a sheik that edgeguards with down tilt then immediately goes for the forward aerial every time? I usually try to do a sh fair but he shields it. then grabs me. if i try and roll i usually get hit before i finish rolling. anyone got suggestions?

Deva

Smash Lord
Sweet spooting with the hook shot might help. It would confuse your opponent as to when you'll reel yourself in. From there, I would hop from the edge to a nair and make sure to L-cancel. If you hop the instant you grab the ledge, it will give you some extra invincibility time. This way, it is quicker than the fair and if L-canceled, it will give you time to dodge if the Shiek shield grabs. Also, regular methods of getting up from the edge like pressing up to jump might help. Good players don't see it coming as often as say the edge hop fair if that's what you use for the majority of your recoveries.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
When i use link, i spam b+up alot.. (yeah i know it's cheap but it works) and its a great edgeguarded too. Just fire lots and lots of projectiles (arrows,bombs,boomerrange) and dodge alot and do b+up. thats why i'd do.

Deva

Smash Lord
When i use link, i spam b+up alot.. (yeah i know it's cheap but it works) and its a great edgeguarded too. Just fire lots and lots of projectiles (arrows,bombs,boomerrange) and dodge alot and do b+up. thats why i'd do.
....ok....:confused: I'm not sure if that's what he was asking.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
when the uses dtilt DI away from shiek or TRY to spot dodge the dtilt .. but i don't spot dodge a lot.... use a lot of projectiles to keep away shiek from you... and yessweetspottin... i guess thats it

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
what should I do against a sheik that edgeguards with down tilt then immediately goes for the forward aerial every time? I usually try to do a sh fair but he shields it. then grabs me. if i try and roll i usually get hit before i finish rolling. anyone got suggestions?
when you say "sh fair," i assume you mean ledge-hop fair. anyway, it's ideal to ledge-hop instantly after grabbing the ledge; that way, you'll still have some invincibility frames on the way up. needless to say, but make sure you always l-cancel. if you decide to use ledge-hop as a means to get back on stage, and your opponent is close to the edge, use nair instead of fair. however, considering the situation you described, i would just use his wakeup attack (press a ) if i had less than %100 damage. ledge-hop air-dodge can work sometimes, but be careful.

technomancer

Smash Champion
I'd actually prefer ledgehop nair to Jab (if that's all he's doing) and generally you can jump from there and get out of the trap. Also, try dropping off the ledge, pulling a bomb, and then re-sweetspot the ledge, so now you have a bomb at your disposal.

If you can waveland, go for that too, and if you can't win by being fast, just DI the dtilt.

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
I would just use the grappling hook to latch onto the platform if you can. That way you jump upwards with the grappling hook and maybe do Up+B to shoo Shiek away, or if she has about 40% damage on her it will knock her back enough for you to dodge roll, etc.

Aesir

Smash Master
whats happening? are you recovering with the up-b for the edge or recovering with non-sweet spotted hookshots?

in anycase you might wanna try ledge teching it.

or possibly when you get hit with the down tilt try and cc it or something I know you should be able to fast fall it since down tilt has some lag.

why would youfast fall you ask? chances are the sheik will still try and hit you fast fall, then recover again. I dunno I haven't used link in about 2 months especially against sheik friday I'll have a more detailed explanation .

Deva

Smash Lord
Make sure to Sweet spot. From there, use the ledge hop nair quickly, like thrilla said, so you still have invincibility frames. This is one of the useful qualities of Link. The invincibility frames set up your nair so that it cannot be interrupted. As long as you L-cancel, you should be fine.

smashfan34

Smash Apprentice
most of the problem is, even when i try a fair or nair, he shields that. and grabs. im gonna try attacking immeditly rtaher than waiting. so i have invisibility. also lately ive been doing better, because ill do down and then jump back up but my head never goes over the edge, then the sheik player gets confused and baks up, or if they dont i can get an aerial in. also i tryed using the arrow(since it comes out in only 18 frames) and id ledgehop an arrow, then i would drop under the edge and up b back to grab the edge. also I saw this guy tang do this one thing. he ledgehops then looks like hes coming bak on the stage and wavelands backwards off the stage back onto the edge.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Whenever I'm being edge-guarded, I like to drop off the ledge and jump back on to grab it. Pretty much keep doing this until your opponent beefs or uses a laggy move, then you ledge hop pretty much any aerial.

Another idea is waveland onto the stage and try to get behind the Sheik. Then use whatever retreating tactics you can.

smashfan34

Smash Apprentice
thx.

You should spam projectiles instead of nairing or fairing. >_> after nair though jab. to help prevent yourself from getting shield grabbed.
i like both ideas, and I can see how the jab would stop you from shield grabbing, since it would come out before they can grab. thx for the good advice, +rep.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Mix up your recovery with hook shot tricksies (spot dodge to falling grapple, grapple + immediately press A and DI away, blah blah) and try throwing things while recovering.

Top Bottom