• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with roadtrip through Nevada, California & Arizona

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Greetings, American smashers!

I’m Navn, from the Danish smash bros community. Together with 3 of my friends; Tomber, King Funk & Jonas, I’ll be attending EVO 2013 – after which we have plans to drive through Nevada, Arizona and California – to experience American culture and nature. In order to do this, we need your help!
Our current plans will have us arriving in Vegas on the 9th of July, giving us a few days to explore Vegas before EVO starts on the 12th. Once EVO ends on the 14th of July, we will be renting a car and driving towards Grand Canyon, and eventually San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Yosemite National Park –and finally back to Vegas on the 3rd of august, from where we will fly back towards Denmark.

We have a goal to make the trip as amazing as humanly possible, while also saving money where it’s possible – this is where you guys come in!

First of all, we are looking for general travel tips! This includes: things to see or experience, along the route we have planned out so far, awesome nature / events / landmarks, things to watch/plan for.

Secondly, we are looking for places to stay along the route. We are currently planning to be sleeping at hostels/motels, but if any smashers along the way are willing to house us we’d be very grateful.

Also, on an important note, Fuzzyness and Jolteon are also coming with us but they need two more smashers to share a rental car and join the roadtrip. At least one of them has to have a drivers’ license since neither Fuzzyness nor Jolteon have one. So if anyone is interested in a roadtrip with us European Smashers for two weeks, please don’t hesitate.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm not in that area, but I'll pass your message on to the smashers I know who might be able to help. -^_^-

oksas

oak-sauce
how far into AZ are you planning on going? i assume you will be stopping at the Grand Canyon; any idea which rim you'll be going to? if you are going further south of the canyon, i quite like sedona, really beautiful place. just depends on how far you're willing to go. we don't have many smashers outside of Tucson (6 hrs south of the canyon) and Phoenix (4 hours south of the canyon), but you might even be able to get some housing in AZ if you go as far down as Flagstaff (2 hours south of the canyon?). though keep in mind those numbers are based on traveling from the south rim of the Grand Canyon... iirc it takes almost a full 8 hours to get from the south to the north rim

like i said, it all depends on how far you're willing to go. i much prefer the scenery and climate of California to AZ (i.e. if i were you i would spend more time there definitely) but if you are planning on spending some more time in AZ, you will no doubt get a place to stay in either Phoenix or Tucson. come to Tucson and i will personally accomodate you :p

but yeah, as far as seeing stuff here goes, Grand Canyon is an obvious choice and i really, really love Sedona, if you can make it that far

Medz!

Smash Journeyman
If u can come to yuma, arizona that would be cool. Were the last city in arizona before you head to san diego

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I already talked to Jolteon about this, so feel free to talk to him, but I've got you guys covered once you go through San Diego to LA. In between those is lovely Orange County and we've got Disneyland and some of the best beaches in the U.S.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Hello everyone! Thanks a lot for your generosity!

Here is the preview plan for our roadtrip (which will last from the 15th of July to the 29th of July/3rd of August [some of us are leaving earlier]):
15 - Las Vegas -> Grand Canyon (275 miles)
16 - Grand Canyon -> Phoenix (229 miles)
17 - Phoenix -> Yuma (186 miles) -> San Diego (170 miles)
18-19 - San Diego
20 - San Diego -> Los Angeles (121 miles)
21-22 - Los Angeles -> San Francisco (382 miles)
23 - San Francisco -> Reno (218 miles)
24-29 or 3 - Reno -> Las Vegas (through the national parks ; 576 miles)

That should give you guys a better idea of where we're going. ;)

Also, to whoever has offered us housing, could you please send your contact details (phone number/email/adress) to me in a PM? Thank you!

$heen

Smash Ace
In between Reno and Las Vegas is a lot of desert. Driving through that for 8+ hours probably won't be very fun.

If you need housing and stuff in SF, I can help you out.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Hello everyone! Thanks a lot for your generosity!

Here is the preview plan for our roadtrip (which will last from the 15th of July to the 29th of July/3rd of August [some of us are leaving earlier]):
15 - Las Vegas -> Grand Canyon (275 miles)
16 - Grand Canyon -> Phoenix (229 miles)
17 - Phoenix -> Yuma (186 miles) -> San Diego (170 miles)
18-19 - San Diego
20 - San Diego -> Los Angeles (121 miles)
21-22 - Los Angeles -> San Francisco (382 miles)
23 - San Francisco -> Reno (218 miles)
24-29 or 3 - Reno -> Las Vegas (through the national parks ; 576 miles)

That should give you guys a better idea of where we're going. ;)

Also, to whoever has offered us housing, could you please send your contact details (phone number/email/adress) to me in a PM? Thank you!
You guys should stop between San Diego and LA to go to Disneyland in Orange County.

Rickety

Peace and Love
If you come through SD, we will definitely hook you up.
I agree with Sizzle!
San Diego would be more than happy to work something out for you guys!
I was able to house four French players before the first Genesis,
so perhaps I can try to do the same thing for you four this time around, too, if you'd like! :]

Slhoka

Smash Lord
In between Reno and Las Vegas is a lot of desert. Driving through that for 8+ hours probably won't be very fun.

If you need housing and stuff in SF, I can help you out.
This guy is amazing. And his mom pretty much saved me and 3 other smashers haha.

I agree with Sizzle!
San Diego would be more than happy to work something out for you guys!
I was able to house four French players before the first Genesis,
so perhaps I can try to do the same thing you four this time around, too, if you'd like! :]
This guy is fantastic. And he's able to make you happy just by being himself =D

If there was a smasher housing website, they'd have some of the best reviews haha.

Also, nothing against the other posters in this thread, I just haven't been housed by them .

Rickety

Peace and Love
Gosh, I've been feeling so much love from the Smash community lately! Even more than usual! <3

Thank you so much for the kind words, Slhoka! <3 <3

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, we are arriving in San Diego this evening. We're four smashers, can anyone house us?
We'll look for some free wifi when we get to San Diego, but in the meantime, we probably won't be able to reply. If you're willing to provide housing, send me a PM with some contact details or something.

Thanks in advance, we'd really appreciate it =)

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
i PM'd king funk but to ensure more that you guys read it

when you come through Reno i can definitely house you guys. i don't have a lot of space at my home but all are welcome. i've got wifi and live right in downtown Reno

my name is jared. I gave you a ride to the baymont hotel(accidently went to the wrong one first LOL) from Mimi's house during EVO weekend.

you can text/contact me at 775-750-4503

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Alright, we're currently back in Vegas and our trip is reaching its conclusion (we're leaving on the 3rd, but we're probably just gonna chill out and relax for the last days).

I wanna extend a thanks to everyone who offered to house us. Even if for practical reasons we didn't manage to visit you all, it's still great to see such hospitality from you guys. If you're ever in Denmark, don't hesitate to contact our community for housing or travel advice, either on smashboards or on www.smashbros.dk (you'll need a user).

Special thanks to the guys that actually housed us! Rickety, you're probably the nicest guy i've ever met in my entire life, and it was an absolute blast to stay with you and your great family. It still baffles me how driving a 100 miles to open your house to complete strangers came completely natural to you. What a guy you are! Same goes for the Daly City smashers: Robin & Troy! We appreciate your hospitality so much, and we hope to be able to return to favor some day.

Maybe we'll meet at the next EVO!

-Navn, Jonas & Tomber

Top Bottom