• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

help with pikachu

ziflak

Smash Rookie
I can't seem to beat the little rat. One of my "friends" (arch brawl nemisis) mains pikachu. The only character he uses in the game is pikachu and he plays tournament level.

We play online alot and the lag messes with my spacing but no matter what I do I cant seem to beat his pikachu. I can do damage with projectiles but his smashes after faster then mine and pika's forward smash has, range I guess. Pikachus also got some annoying combos but ive learned to cope with nearly all of them.

My biggest problem (other then the inability to space) is I can't really kill him. I can't edgegaurd pikachu because of his side-B and his fast recoverey, and only my down and up smash ever seem to land well (forward smash he dodges the 2nd hit alot).

Thats about as detailed as i can get so someone HELP ME PLEASE.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
sorry i can't. Pika is too good for toon link. Try maining Zelda. Pika hates a good Zelda.
oh that sucks!

Looks like I need to fight some good Pikachus with my toon link. I've mostly fought Pikachus with my Kirby, but I don't see many good Pikas out there :/

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
oh that sucks!

Looks like I need to fight some good Pikachus with my toon link. I've mostly fought Pikachus with my Kirby, but I don't see many good Pikas out there :/
There are good Pikas? ._.
>_> jk guys.
I dont see any problems with Pika except their Dsmash is annoying.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Dsmash = Smash DI/tap away by tapping up then back.

Your Hero's Shield screws off most Thunder Jolt spam. You can powershield them too if you need to get closer.

Save your Usmash to kill him. =/

Don't approach high or Thunder spam will **** your face.

Stay offensive, don't camp for too long.

That's my two cents anyway.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Don't spend too much time worrying about getting in close and doing combos for damage. Pika has crazy priority and range with is Dsmash and Fsmash. Use your projectiles to pressure him to come to you as well as out spam and occasionally poke at him with a Nair with the help of the projectile pressure. But do look for the chance for Bair combos when he leaves an opening. Utilt is good for building up damage and aiding your combos.

Avoid being above Pika. Watch out when you're close ranged because Pika has longer range than he looks. Hence the reason you need to pressure projectiles to discourage spammy smashes.

As for edgeguarding, try to intercept his Forward B with a Fair. If you whiff just get back on the stage and prepare for another opportunity to KO.

As Vietgeek says, don't spam and diminish the Usmash KO power and have it ready for killing when Pika is at a high percentage. Use Dsmash if you need some breathing room. Uair is also good for KOing if you get him above you.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Immortal_One

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu's really fast and pretty powerful when used correctly. My way out with Toon Link is the Down A attack, although Pikachu's thunder may be a problem for that...

All I can tell you is to utilize your shield and keep watch of what he's doing.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link really shouldn't have much of a problem with Pikachu (well, none that he doesn't have with most other characters). I'd just try and keep up the rang/bomb spam to wrack up damage, and save those kill moves for high percents.

Spacing is very important for TL because Dsmash out of shield builds up damage fast (especially in the laggy online). Just keep pikachu away from you. Uair is a great finisher due to Pikachu's light weight.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Also, don't SHDA too much. He can time Thunder Jolt to go out of rhythm just to hit you as you prepare the second arrow. I'd recommend the Boomerang and Bombs for this match.

And by being offensive, I mean keep up pressure and don't camp, since Pikachu camps better than you if you try to play his game since he's forcing you to approach in the air, where he can use his strong aerials, his too good Thunder, and stuff like that.

On the ground, your jab combo has probably the best speed to range ratio compared to your other ground moves. Use it if you need to.

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
my brother mains pikachu, which is why i cringe whenever i hear that yellow sob's name

an effective kill move is boomerang/Fair or Bomb/Fair...timing is difficult, but the hit from the projectile leaves him momentarily stunned making it impossible for him to spam anything that could counter your approach

ziflak

Smash Rookie
Thanks everyone, I see things i didn't think of and realize that pikachus not a hard match up for Toon Link i just dont' know how to fight him (honestly i don't see that many pikachus that actually know what they are doing).

Ill try to remember to apply what I know and stop SHDA(thank you vietgeek), rack damage with boom/bomb and use the up smash only when im trying to kill him.

AkaMaruChan

Smash Cadet
I'd say try not to fight online =/ if lag is an issue, then you're at a disadvantage. Spacing is more important to Tink then it is for pika... =/

Hyro

Smash Lord
You said you can't kill him off the stage because of forward b, well simply get under him and uair everytime. It's unexpected and you won't get touched by the forward b.

zacharia zako

Smash Journeyman
watch out for pika's d smash. its one of the best d smashes in the game. maybe u can build up damage another way. utilize toon link's arsenal of projectiles. the links are projectile kings. rack up damage with the boomerang, bow and bombs then take that sparky chucky cheese rat wanna be out

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
i dont know if this has already been mentioned, but ill say it anyway

my brother mains pika and hes annoyingly good at it, so i pick up on a few weaknesses and points of vulnerability every now and then...we all know how annoying pika's dsmash is...but it isnt as impenatrable as youd think...at one point near the end of his dsmash he can be attacked...its while pika is still doing the spinning animation which is what makes any offensive move against the yellow bast*** unavoidable

the trick is to shield during the attack and at that opportune moment get him with a quick TL dsmash or up smash...timing is crucial because going too early makes you prone to being caught in pikas attack and going too late gives him enough time to shield...aside from saying that its near the end of pikas attack, i cant really get too specific...it took me all this time since getting the game to figure it out myself and i dont have any recording capabilities...but it works, i promise...and whats even better, once i figured out that point of vulnerability, my brother reduced the number of times he used the dsmash giving me one less thing to worry about

Top Bottom