• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Rich fight Sonic thread

IcyLight

Smash Lord
How many of them know the match-up? I mean being defensive is definitely the way to go but you've gotta do more than just pivot grab/fsmash/latch. Unless you have an entire line-up of purples, latch isn't a threat. We're gonna approach regardless. Assuming the Sonic knows the match-up, the better question you should ask yourself is "What do I do if Sonic gets the lead?" Sonic does to Olimar what Olimar does to everyone else.
you make a good point, but if olimar plays defensive against sonic he shouldn't ever lose the lead if he reacts to what you do correctly, and as far as our line up is concerned, if you hit one of our pikmin you have a small second of lag where we can do whatever we want to you if we are decently close.

with the chance that sonic does gain the lead, it shouldn't be that far ahead. just try to force an opportunity where you can catch back up. you don't have to be 50% against sonics 200%, you just need to not get hit as often as possible and be really patient so you can give sonic damage at the few points where you are able to. it's all about capitalizing on a tiny mistake to gain a tiny advantage, one piece at a time.

that's how i play the match up at least, i have the whole 7/8 minutes to gain a % advantage, i don't need to take a stock if i don't lose one

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
you make a good point, but if olimar plays defensive against sonic he shouldn't ever lose the lead if he reacts to what you do correctly, and as far as our line up is concerned, if you hit one of our pikmin you have a small second of lag where we can do whatever we want to you if we are decently close.

with the chance that sonic does gain the lead, it shouldn't be that far ahead. just try to force an opportunity where you can catch back up. you don't have to be 50% against sonics 200%, you just need to not get hit as often as possible and be really patient so you can give sonic damage at the few points where you are able to. it's all about capitalizing on a tiny mistake to gain a tiny advantage, one piece at a time.

that's how i play the match up at least, i have the whole 7/8 minutes to gain a % advantage, i don't need to take a stock if i don't lose one
Hmm...I'd like to play you sometime. Come to School is in Session 4. I'd like to MM you if you were ever able to come. I'm curious as to how you play this MU. The ones in red sound like theory. Theoretically speaking, if I do get % lead and it's a substantial lead, I NEVER have to approach. I could LITERALLY run away and Nair all of your latches and if you're not within range to punish the lag of me destroying Pikmin, I can effectively punish any punish attempt on reaction.

Da1AndOnlySonic

Smash Journeyman
It'll be just like Pikachu.
They'll pick him up, realize how much work you need to put into him to be of any success, then leave. There's a reason why Shugo and Malcolm quit, while Kai has secondaries.

Of course, none of them just won 1K+. :p
So true, Sonic 4 life. I was happy to see not one but two Sonics place so well at MLG Dallas.

Anyway, until today I had never seen a pro Olimar vs. a pro Sonic. All I want to say about those matches is that in match 5 when Rich superarmored those 2 bairs...wow, would an up-smash have KOed Espy or was his % not high enough?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
There's a very possible chance that the usmash would've KOed me, yeah.

:zangoose:

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
I lost 1 game to a sonic named weejoh :[ People need so much patience while fighting sonic T.T. I got my revenge on PS1 btw, the less platforms, da beta <3

Top Bottom