• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help! Recovering as Pit!

PortCity

Smash Ace
This sounds like a foolish topic, Pit is supposed to have "Godly" recovery, yes I know. It is just that, it isn't that simple all the time. Top teir characters like Metaknight and Snake have tactics that are hell on earth for Pit. Metaknight can match jumps, ala when you jump he jumps, and then try to force the up+b. Once the up+b comes out, we all know where Pit goes. Snake can harass Pit off stage with grenades and up smashes. When Pit tries to go under the stage Snake can fast fall a bair, hit Pit, and return with his Cypher. Pretty much, it isn't as easy at it seems. Do you guys have any good tactics on recovering as Pit. I was thinking about using b-boosted shields to deter those trying to intercept Pit while he jumps, but I don't know how safe that is in practice. Over all, what are some good tips for recovering.

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
Hm.. yea, its hard against MK. but snake not so much. I just shoot arrows while I come back to the stage. it always works for me. I rarely get gimped.

edit: oh and yo, you probably should've used the the inquiry thread if this is all you wanted =P

Recoil

Smash Journeyman
Q&A thread would work for this.

I use my jumps, and maybe fire a few arrows to clear some space if they are edgeguarding me, and use up-b as a last resort, or either to snap on the ledge quicker. If you are quick enough you can either glide under the stage, or up-b all the way across the stage (but don't get gimped).

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
lmao Idk how I forgot about gliding... yea gliding works. Go low then up, but stop before you get close to the edge to avoid stage spikes.

PortCity

Smash Ace
Sorry for not posting this in Q&A. This information is really for my brother, not me. I chill in the diddy boards, so I wasn't sure how it works over here in the Pit boards. None the less, I play on Pit's team against a REALLY good team made up of a Snake and Metaknight. My brother is good at recovering, but recently it has been getting crazy. He will go under the stage with a glide or up+b it doesn't matter. Metaknight will glide under the stage after him and Snake will be waiting on the other side to drop off the ledge with bair. So, the idea of "try to fly under" is great in theory, but in practice it can be crazy. Even against Diddy, he can drop and do a reverse peanut gun shot to shot pit out of his wings. I've even seen brave Falco players fall under the stage with a well times laser and put an end to the under the stage fun. I've been thinking along the lines of having him waste his jumps and then up+b and try to drop on the middle of the stage. Kinda like how Snake players recover high against Metaknight. Also, do you guys ever B-Boost Pit's reflector shield as you come back to the stage?

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
Oohhh.... Teams?!? Lmao thats a whole diffrent story there man. I didnt know you meant both Mk AND snake trying to gimp at the same time. Yea, you'll need to back him up then, because trying to recover through a volley of grenades, mortar shots, Mach slices, and shuttle loops is really hard. screw with snake and just eliminate half the problem I guess. Idk really, when ever I do teams, I hold stocks and Kill. I dont get hit/ knocked off much. I usually keep my first stock for over half the match. so it's not a problem for me.

Have him try and change his style so he isnt in the fray as much or somethin.

sry I cant be of much help.

PortCity

Smash Ace
These problems still exist 1 on 1. Metaknight's tactics still work 1 on 1 and so do Snake's. I'm not asking how to avoid the stuff at the same time. You are 100% right, that is my job as the teammate to make it easier. Usually, if Metaknight or Snake goes down there to gimp him, they don't come back up. I have a dair spike that puts that **** to rest :), BUT somtimes I'm not there, or it is a 2 on 1 situation, etc. That is why I think there have to be some clever recover options out there that someone has cooked up. Do pits ever try to return to the stage from under with an air dodge? Kinda like how snakes use up+b and right when they read the stage they let go with an airdodge and make it back on. Is that a viable pit tactic? Similarly, what arieal does Pit have that has the most priority. Maybe returning to the stage and doing that move can prevent people from attacking Pit as he returns....nair?

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
lmao there isnt a good aerial that has priority over mk. as for the airdodge thing, test it out. I dont really do that.

SkyRay

Smash Cadet
I rarely play against MK, but i suggest just trying to dodge most of his attacks and make it back to the stage before pulling out your wings, and use as little jumps as possible so you don't end up gliding on your 4th jump at last resort.

Against snake, you should be able to glide straight to the edge without much problems.

Good luck.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Glide, but the first time you think about cancelling it, cancel it. Just pull back until Pit comes out of the glide. You can use this to avoid mortar shells fairly easily. MK is something more of a challenge, I find it's best to go really, really low under the stage so he can't reach you with his dair. Either that or go really high so you can cancel the glide as soon as he starts approaching you. This allows you to airdodge shuttle loops and, since you're really high, gives you some room to move towards the stage as you fall.

WoI is a last resort, but I think it works better against edgeguarders than a lot of people realize. If they're trying to edgehog and force you above the stage, you're actually in a halfway decent position. Just hover next to the edge and as soon as they let go (and they have to if they want to hit you) you'll grab the ledge and become invincible before they can do anything. The real danger comes from Metaknights and other multi-jump characters who realize this and jump around next to the ledge instead of grabbing it. I still haven't really figured out a way around this other than try to maneuver away from them and hope they miss. Lots of people do... some don't. :(

Top Bottom