• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me figure out what I did on accident.

Drab Emordnilap

Palindrome Bard
BRoomer
I was practicing for a tournament with a friend, and he was Olimar. We were just fighting as normal, and then he did this weird thing where he slid forward on the ground while doing the down B. He went about half as far as a roll would go.

We spent about an hour trying to replicate it, but no luck. Dashing and then whistling kills your momentum, but aerial-whistling doesn't make you slide or anything.

Any idea?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've no idea. I haven't seen anything bizarre with the whistle yet. O_o

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Mhm. Would this be helpful in any way? Perhaps, because you get SAF frames...

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I was practicing for a tournament with a friend, and he was Olimar. We were just fighting as normal, and then he did this weird thing where he slid forward on the ground while doing the down B. He went about half as far as a roll would go.

We spent about an hour trying to replicate it, but no luck. Dashing and then whistling kills your momentum, but aerial-whistling doesn't make you slide or anything.

Any idea?
A picture is better than a thousand words, my friend.

Zap657

Smash Journeyman
Wait, I'm not sure I understand, was it like Down-tilt while whistling?

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Mhm. Would this be helpful in any way? Perhaps, because you get SAF frames...
What he described is a wavedash...don't spread that around...but that's what is on the line if this technique could be replicated. The whistle is fast enough to make it useful. But that's only if it can be replicated.

Drab Emordnilap

Palindrome Bard
BRoomer
He wasn't being hit when it happened. I was Wario, and he was Olimar, on FD with items off, so no weird interference from the stage. He and I are getting together to practice for HOBO 7 tomorrow, so we'll try to replicate it and save a video.

Zacke

Smash Cadet
If you somehow manages to replicate this, it would be awesome. Whistledash, Olidash, whatever, it would be great.

Big Red

Smash Journeyman
I was messing around with this in training trying to get anything, but I couldn't figure it out.

I don't know if people knew, but you can wavebounce with his whistle. I was thinking maybe if you did it close enough to the ground it could slide, but I couldn't get anything. The wavebounce does make for an interesting approach though, since it has SAF and funky trajectory.

Roager

Smash Ace
My guess, but I don't really know, would be that Oli jumped, maybe shorthopped, and then whistle near the ground kept him going horizontally. If this can be done again, get a video. Seriously.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
i just read a different topic with something similar posted, i believe it was called whistle uses or something. But someone mentioned that your whistle gives you it's own momentum boost, and someone mentioned that when they fell off a platform and whistled backwards he did a "waveland." I'm going to investigate, that maybe you have to use this whistle to change direction near ground to get the boost. As in, jump forward whistle backwards near ground, etc. I'll report back.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
i just read a different topic with something similar posted, i believe it was called whistle uses or something. But someone mentioned that your whistle gives you it's own momentum boost, and someone mentioned that when they fell off a platform and whistled backwards he did a "waveland." I'm going to investigate, that maybe you have to use this whistle to change direction near ground to get the boost. As in, jump forward whistle backwards near ground, etc. I'll report back.
that was me, and no...you cannot do that...b/c you would need to cancel the jump...which is not what was described in this thread

shanus

Smash Hero
I had this happen to me yesterday when I was trying out 9389348939489384 different ways to get pikmin to do something when they desync. I was screwing around and trying out pukkin's dash to whistle to cause a pikmin slide. However, when i did the dash and did the whistle, i tried to start a dash again (i hit it at like a hard diagonal downleft immediately after the whistle) and somehow did a sliding whistle of substantial length (around a rolls length). I've tried replicating it to no avail, but I didnt do anything that fancy. I wasnt expecting it to happen either, i was just trying to desync.

However, this was in training mode so no replay :-(

Snail

Smash Lord
I had this happen to me yesterday when I was trying out 9389348939489384 different ways to get pikmin to do something when they desync. I was screwing around and trying out pukkin's dash to whistle to cause a pikmin slide. However, when i did the dash and did the whistle, i tried to start a dash again (i hit it at like a hard diagonal downleft immediately after the whistle) and somehow did a sliding whistle of substantial length (around a rolls length). I've tried replicating it to no avail, but I didnt do anything that fancy. I wasnt expecting it to happen either, i was just trying to desync.

However, this was in training mode so no replay :-(
That sounds incredible though, if we can somehow figure out how to do it consistently... Sliding at your opponent with SA frames XD

Zacke

Smash Cadet
That sounds incredible though, if we can somehow figure out how to do it consistently... Sliding at your opponent with SA frames XD
If, in the future, this will become a technique, how good won't it feel to one of the few that mained Olimar before this übertechnique came to knowledge? :cool:

Top Bottom