• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HELP: Ike vs MK

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Ok, since MK is one of my hardest matchups, I read the Ike matchups guide by YagamiLight for MK several times. Today, I played a MK and I tried doing everything Yagami wrote in his guide, such as using the ftilt for kills. It worked fairly until second stock. Then everything became a disaster, this MK kept on gimping my recovery. My question is: How do you counter a gimp? I tried falling pretty low then using my second jump then aether, but he still manages to gimp me. Also, how do you counter a tornado spamming MK? GOD I hate MKS. *no johns*

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Tornado Spammer?

Eruption due to SAFs, Counter, Angled Ftilt, Fair, Dair if above, Fsmash if opponent is stupid enough, Aether, Hyphen Smash.

Avoid Gimping? Borderline impossible. MK is the best gimper in the game. >_> You basically have to get lucky.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Yep. Dtilt spike is probably the safest way to attempt, unless it's a crappy MK that you can read like a book, in which case go for the Dair.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Tornado Spammer?

Eruption due to SAFs, Counter, Angled Ftilt, Fair, Dair if above, Fsmash, Aether, Hyphen Smash. if opponent is stupid enough.

Avoid Gimping? Borderline impossible. MK is the best gimper in the game. >_> You basically have to get lucky.
Fixed.

Try reverse aether if you have time this way he doesn't jump behind you and Bair to stage spike. This won't always work but its a thing you can sue to mix up your game.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
You have to outspace and be careful because MK can get in your face, hit you, dash back to the edge, and then throw rocks at you and giggle. Dont go near the edge, he will **** you. Ike's recovery is crap, MK's recovery is amazing, and he is the best gimper (that even a word?) in the game.

Ike can kill MK at pretty low percents, so use those tilts for epic win.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
From my experience, I'd say that what Falcon is saying is true. The Forward Tilt will be your best friend. The Forward Aerial and Back Aerial are also acceptionally good against him, and I guess Up Aerial sometimes. That doesn't necessarily mean "abuse those moves", though, just that they will help you, since they have some of the greater priority, which you need.

Everyone else is right, too. DO NOT chase MK off the ledge. He will seriously **** you up, whether it be stage spiking you with the Shuttle Loop, stage spiking you with the Forward Aerial, or just getting more damage on you and getting you into a more compromising position while you accomplish nothing.

Hostility

Smash Ace
Mix up your recovery as much as you can, don't always recover low, don't always recover high. Be as creative as you can. You can't really do anything else, and you're still going to get *****. Ike should never beat an MK

metroid1117

Smash Master
You have to outspace and be careful because MK can get in your face, hit you, dash back to the edge, and then throw rocks at you and giggle. Dont go near the edge, he will **** you. Ike's recovery is crap, MK's recovery is amazing, and he is the best gimper (that even a word?) in the game.

Ike can kill MK at pretty low percents, so use those tilts for epic win.
Whoa, you're back now o_0.

You can try going as low as possible while airdodging to avoid the DAirs, but eventually the MK will catch on; he's simply the best character in the game at gimping. If it comes to the point where you get gimped every stock, then try Aetherciding to make them at least pay for it.

MaxfireXSA

Banned via Warnings
Quickdraw and 'Aether' is the best way to deal a heavy damage against Metaknight, but make sure to counter within the best timing as you get. And if you use Wii remote, hold Z and press the down arrow to dodge, so you'll have the advantage to deal damage on Metaknight and knock Metaknight out.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
You guys don't have to be such douche bags about his english. Seeing as hes from tuscon it is very possible that english isn't his first language like me.

you can call him a noob though.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Just wondering...

Assuming you shield tornado/shuttle loop, can Ike punish those OoS?
(side note if you aren't familiar with doing this: a bunch of the fast characters can punish MK out of shield as long as they react / release shield as soon as MK gets off them)

Sonic can grab/dash attack MK before he lands out of a SH tornado. Many characters can SH/FH an aerial after shielding the rise of the shuttle loop.

I was wondering if Ike could do anything to MK after shielding a tornado.

I had an idea of doing Aether out of shield to punish shuttle loop XD

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Just wondering...

Assuming you shield tornado/shuttle loop, can Ike punish those OoS?
(side note if you aren't familiar with doing this: a bunch of the fast characters can punish MK out of shield as long as they react / release shield as soon as MK gets off them)

Sonic can grab/dash attack MK before he lands out of a SH tornado. Many characters can SH/FH an aerial after shielding the rise of the shuttle loop.

I was wondering if Ike could do anything to MK after shielding a tornado.

I had an idea of doing Aether out of shield to punish shuttle loop XD
that sounds sexy. I'm actually thinking of Shield first hit of shuttle loop to OoS SH bair to punish shuttle loop. How long does it take for shuttle loop to finish going in a circle? SH bair would take 15 frames to pull off.

I'm thinking dash shield grab to punish tornado if he's too far to jab.

Tenki

Smash Hero
that sounds sexy. I'm actually thinking of Shield first hit of shuttle loop to OoS SH bair to punish shuttle loop. How long does it take for shuttle loop to finish going in a circle? SH bair would take 15 frames to pull off.

I'm thinking dash shield grab to punish tornado if he's too far to jab.

The B-air thing might work, but you have to release shield and turn around first, wouldn't you? unless MK was behind you...

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
The B-air thing might work, but you have to release shield and turn around first, wouldn't you? unless MK was behind you...
Well, I was more thinking turn around shield. Also thinking of doing it on the ledge. MK always tries to shuttle loop anyone close to the ledge.

Plus doesn't turning around take only one frame?

Top Bottom