• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Against R.O.B.

SmashGod17

Smash Cadet
Alright, so my Ike is pretty good, and I've been pwning people. However, one of my friends, Blue Ninjakoopa, has an awesome R.O.B. Every time I get close, he D-Smashes. When I'm far away, he uses Robo Beam or Gyro. In the air, his aerials hit first. I was wondering if y'all could give me some advice on fighting R.O.B.?

XACE-K

Smash Master
Well the only thing I can think of right now is that if he gets sloppy when using his Up-B, use d-tilt to spike him. I'll probably think of more tips later.

-mugen-

Smash Journeyman
There's really not a whole lot you can do... Robot will beat the sh*t out of Ike off the stage, and on ground you're pelted by lasers and gyros and overall quicker tilts, jabs, and f/u smashes.

I think the direction is up to DI out of d-smash, and don't only shield the gyros when he's shooting them at you, but even while they're spinning on the floor, get rid of them by shielding them. Robot has a great glide toss that's a very good approach especially against slow people and he can glide toss right into a down or forward smash if you're not careful.

Remember that Robot's blind spots are below him and behind him. U-tilt and u-air can help. You can bait a d-air in which case he's wide open, but overall it's difficult to punish Robot, especially with Ike.

Just... try to space I guess. Double jump fairs, f-tilts, and when your up close jab like a mad man. Always, ALWAYS anticipate the laser/gyro. Lasers will happen with a 99.8% probability at the beginning of the match and when you've knocked Robot away and he's on the other side of the stage. The possibility of a gyro varies based on playstyle, but just remember that gyros and lasers are also R.O.B.'s killing moves. A full charged gyro or laser can take care of you around the 100-110%'s depending on where you are off the stage. This is especially troublesome for Ike because of how vertical or horizontal he needs to be in order to recover.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Remember that Robot's blind spots are below him and behind him. U-tilt and u-air can help. You can bait a d-air in which case he's wide open, but overall it's difficult to punish Robot, especially with Ike.
This is the main thing I'd like to point out. Ike has several ways of hitting Robot from the bottom and the top, you'll want to use those. Your best friends in this match are the jab combo, the up tilt and the Down air (Which can combo a bit). Bait his down smash to kill him with an Ftilt at higher percents. Try to keep the pressure up as he has horizontal projectiles, and you obviously don't.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I'd rather shield the down smash you get a grab or jab combo after it, and with ROB a jab > grab can lead into another grab or jab combo if you just hit him till he breaks out.

edit: I see robs kill less and less with gyro and the laser everyday. They seem to be a lot more useful if you spam them.

-mugen-

Smash Journeyman
edit: I see robs kill less and less with gyro and the laser everyday. They seem to be a lot more useful if you spam them.
You don't save your laser obviously. Robot dishes them out whenever he can, which is especially a problem for slow and projectile-less characters like Ike. You could consider countering, but watch out for another laser promptly shot in your face after about a second. At high percentages if Robot hasn't used a laser in 20+ seconds, he is indeed a dangerous weapon.

Gyros, which are charged manually, are a different story. It's great to glide toss + d smash or f smash from a comfortable distance. Probably one of Robot's best approaches. At high percentages though, it's nice to have a charged gyro ready to get an off stage KO. It's kind of unexpected, really (fun as sh*t too.) This is a problem for Ike though, since timing an offstage gyro requires one to guess where the second jump is coming. Ike's is usually obvious due to his situational recovery. Usually just fairing the crap out of him is a better option, though...

KC18

Smash Journeyman
back air helps a lot if you use it wisely, nair and chain into back air if done correctly, but wouldn't rely on it since your asking to get shield grabbed with nair. and ye i agree with jab combo's, down air, and down tilt is easier to spike with against rob cuz of his recovery.

•Col•

Smash Champion
back air helps a lot if you use it wisely, nair and chain into back air if done correctly, but wouldn't rely on it since your asking to get shield grabbed with nair. and ye i agree with jab combo's, down air, and down tilt is easier to spike with against rob cuz of his recovery.
Nair chain into bair? ._.

KC18

Smash Journeyman
ye, when u do ur nair, gotta try to hit with the back portion of the hitbox, or atleast try to hit them so they are sent slightly upward and behind you, and having next to no lag you can quickly do a bair and if you land properly with no lag with the bair you can continue still with other options. but ye works best at lower percents, and works better with bigger characters. (i consider rob to be an easier target as well) oh ya u need to fast fall while doing the nair also

•Col•

Smash Champion
ye, when u do ur nair, gotta try to hit with the back portion of the hitbox, or atleast try to hit them so they are sent slightly upward and behind you, and having next to no lag you can quickly do a bair and if you land properly with no lag with the bair you can continue still with other options. but ye works best at lower percents, and works better with bigger characters. (i consider rob to be an easier target as well) oh ya u need to fast fall while doing the nair also
If you fast fall a nair, it doesnt reach behind Ike.. You land to quickly and it autocancels as the sword is in front of you... And I think there's actually to much lag on the nair if you land and it's too late to autocancel it... I just don't see how this "chain" would work at all the way you described it...

I think it is possible to do, but I can't remember how... -_-

Top Bottom