• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shulk's trailer was the best because it had Shulk in it therefore 10/10-ign

I'm letting my fanboy bias possess me on this one

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
So, I caught something interesting: Shulk's Counter-Vision has two different versions: Countering Marth's Shield Breaker had Shulk reel in to wind up for a good sword swing, while his counter against Falcon Punch made Shulk dash around Captain Falcon to backstab him, and either version had Marth and Falcon sent away in opposite directions from where Shulk was (Marth flew away from Shulk's front and Falcon from Shulk's back.)

What this normally means is that you can use the control stick to choose which direction the counter sends opponents off in. However, i think there's a more interesting reason; Countering just before impact makes the counter stronger than if you had waited for them wind up and you counter in preparation, making the counter's startup frames have a sweetspot in s sense. My reasoning for this is that when Shulk counters Shield Breaker, he started the counter a little early before hitting Marth for normal countering knockback, but with Falcon, Shulk dodged to the other side of him doing a Reverse Falcon Punch, and countered immediately before it hit Shulk, which then did the backward counter-hit and Falcon gave off the black lightning effect from severe hits.

Now, the damage/knockback theory can be argued with because Reverse Falcon Punch is stronger than Shield Breaker to begin with. However, that wouldn't explain why Shulk would have different animations for them or why he would bother timing the two different instances of a Counter-Vision differently, leading to the theory that Shulk gets better results from a more immediately activated counterhit.

TL,DR: The longer you wait to Counter-Vision against an attack, the stronger the counterhit will be.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Shulk's has the best Trailer out of all of the Newcomers. I don't know much about Xenoblade but Shulks reveal makes me want to find it and buy it! Shulk is going to be one of my Mains.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I've just now noticed how similar me and Shulk are.
Same colored eyes, hair, ect.
We both have black/red clothes as our usual attire
Interest in Machinery (atleast, before the Mechon did some things, in Shulk's case)
Now if only I had a british accent... ah well, I'll just stick with my Canadi-Australian Accent.

As for if I'm maining Shulk, probably. Doctor Mario takes priority, but if I find more fun in Shulk then I'm definitely maining him.
I guess you could say "I'm really feeling it!" :troll:
#ReynTime

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
can we have a gif of robin and Shulk bro fisting?
I have to admit, I do like the idea of Shulk and Robin being friendly rivals of sorts. It seems rather fitting for the two.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I have to admit, I do like the idea of Shulk and Robin being friendly rivals of sorts. It seems rather fitting for the two.
Considering their broskins are their Final Smashes, this lends more support for that. They'd be also crazy in teams if taken in their personalities and strengths.

Also, obvious slash-pairings abound.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Who ever heard of it being "Robin Time" though?

Poser. :troll:

You know I love you Robin, I have a severe conflict of interests here.
Judging by your sig you just have a thing for fair haired swordsmen.

Nothing wrong with that!

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
yeah I can see them being friends in Smash
They'd make excellent partners in battle- Shulk can "see" the future and Robin's ability as a Tactician allows him to "see" everything on the battlefield. Together, they'd be able to topple armies with strategies that nobody else would ever see coming.

Personally, I think they'd make good teammates in team battles too. Robin could run interference with his/her tomes when Shulk needs to change his Arts, while Shulk could use his excellent range abilities to defend Robin when his/her tomes run out.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Am I the only one secretly hoping that Shulk is hard to get used to but viable? I want people to know I like Shulk the character not just Shulk the moveset :S

D

Deleted member

I think not. :troll:

How about it's Shulk time and time to tip the scales!

They'd make excellent partners in battle- Shulk can "see" the future and Robin's ability as a Tactician allows him to "see" everything on the battlefield. Together, they'd be able to topple armies with strategies that nobody else would ever see coming.

Personally, I think they'd make good teammates in team battles too. Robin could run interference with his/her tomes when Shulk needs to change his Arts, while Shulk could use his excellent range abilities to defend Robin when his/her tomes run out.
Shulk and Robin would basically be an unstoppable team. Heck, I bet the mechanics of both of their games would make them more unstoppable (Shulk's Arts being able to support each other in battle by offering more powerful attacks and more defense and better speed, Shulk's ability to topple and daze people to leave them more off-guard, Shulk being able to do more damage depending on where he attacks the enemy, Robin's access to swords and tomes will give him no problems with defensive and special defensive enemies, Robin's Pair-Up even offering MORE stat boosts, and Robin being able to duel-guard to protect Shulk from an attack). I wouldn't even be surprised if they could take on an entire army of Mechon or Risen all by themselves.
...Dammit. Now I wish I could have Robin in Xenoblade and Shulk in Awakening.

I wonder what a competitive Shulk and Robin team would look like...

I agree with this. I sense that there will be an influx of Shulk and Robin fanart in the future... I see it...

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
How about it's Shulk time and time to tip the scales!

Shulk and Robin would basically be an unstoppable team. Heck, I bet the mechanics of both of their games would make them more unstoppable (Shulk's Arts being able to support each other in battle by offering more powerful attacks and more defense and better speed, Shulk's ability to topple and daze people to leave them more off-guard, Shulk being able to do more damage depending on where he attacks the enemy, Robin's access to swords and tomes will give him no problems with defensive and special defensive enemies, Robin's Pair-Up even offering MORE stat boosts, and Robin being able to duel-guard to protect Shulk from an attack). I wouldn't even be surprised if they could take on an entire army of Mechon or Risen all by themselves.
...Dammit. Now I wish I could have Robin in Xenoblade and Shulk in Awakening.

I wonder what a competitive Shulk and Robin team would look like...

I agree with this. I sense that there will be an influx of Shulk and Robin fanart in the future... I see it...
In short, we need a Fire Emblem/Xenoblade Chronicles crossover.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
The reason SMT x FE hasn't been seen in ages is because the game has gone through a massive overhaul and will now be..

SMT x FE x Xenoblade x Golden Sun

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Having two characters with attacks that have a stronger effect from behind team up makes sense... hard to face both of us at the same time right?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Having two characters with attacks that have a stronger effect from behind team up makes sense... hard to face both of us at the same time right?
Interesting idea...

Have Robin use Nosferatu on an opponent, locking them in place, and then have Shulk use Back Slash wherever the opponents back is facing. Bonus points if Robin can use Nosferatu on the opponent from behind.

D

Deleted member

What would their S-Rank be.

What would their Morgan be like
Morgan would be blond. I'm not going to even try to come up with something for his Confessional.
[collapse=Xenoblade and Awakening Spoilers]I just realized that Morgan would have the blood of Zanza AND Grima... the most evil, godly blood.[/collapse]

Interesting idea...

Have Robin use Nosferatu on an opponent, locking them in place, and then have Shulk use Back Slash wherever the opponents back is facing. Bonus points if Robin can use Nosferatu on the opponent from behind.
*Robin uses Nosferatu*
Shulk: The enemy's weak, but don't drop your guards! Back Slash!
Robin: Now that's strategy!

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Congratulations on being one of the only Doctor Mario supporters I've seen on this board!
I'm... not really sure what you mean. The only character I'm supporting now is Ridley. Shulk was my Number 1 most wanted - Heck, even during the first hour of playing Xenoblade I wanted Shulk in Smash Bros! :p (Also, British accent for the win) After Ridley, no other speculated or leaked newcomer except a new DK rep/Dark Pit really interest me that much. (Hate the idea of Duck Hunt Dog SO MUCH!! >:( )

I think adding Shulk is a great idea, one of the best ideas for a newcomer with lots of potential and from a brand new Nintendo series. I just hope he's here to stay in future Smash games.

EDIT: I only support Dr. Mario as I'm a little at odds with making a veteran an alternate like what Project M did. Also, were you confused by my signature? Those are just my Melee mains: Roy, Dr. Mario and Link.

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Morgan would be blond. I'm not going to even try to come up with something for his Confessional.
[collapse=Xenoblade and Awakening Spoilers]I just realized that Morgan would have the blood of Zanza AND Grima... the most evil, godly blood.[/collapse]

*Robin uses Nosferatu*
Shulk: The enemy's weak, but don't drop your guards! Back Slash!
Robin: Now that's strategy!
I'm now imagining Morgan, wielding the Monado, one shotting Grima. As in the actual Dragon Grima, not the vessel on the back of his neck.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I just noticed how amazing Shulk will be in Doubles.
  • Have your partner grab a foe
  • Switch to Monado Buster/Smash
  • BACK SLASH
  • profit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom