• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
Seems the theory as of late with CoroCoro magazine showing off Smash information on characters that we know about, it would be the perfect time for Sakurai to announce a newcomer (friday or monday), to then be shown in CoroCoro. Shulk would be a perfect candidate with his popularity in Japan. If Sakurai says there'll be a newcomer video on monday again I'm not gonna be able to stand waiting through the weekend.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Seems the theory as of late with CoroCoro magazine showing off Smash information on characters that we know about, it would be the perfect time for Sakurai to announce a newcomer (friday or monday), to then be shown in CoroCoro. Shulk would be a perfect candidate with his popularity in Japan. If Sakurai says there'll be a newcomer video on monday again I'm not gonna be able to stand waiting through the weekend.
Listen, I don't want to go too off topic, but we're going to have to ask you to put sunglasses on that avatar if you want to keep posting in here.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Listen, I don't want to go too off topic, but we're going to have to ask you to put sunglasses on that avatar if you want to keep posting in here.
Yeah, I agree.

I really hope Shulk detractors won't come here after that trailer "deconfirmation".

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I think Shulk will be in the game, but something tells me he's not playable, I can easily see him just being a trophy or Assist Trophy, which is quite unfortunate.

I don't think Shulk was chosen for the roster if Sakurai said the roster was chosen before development, and sure Chronicles was out the at a good time for predevelopment, but whats stopping Sakurai from just putting him in as a trophy, I hink its more likely Shulk will be a trophy, and if I'm wrong then I'll change my beautiful Madison Rayne avatar to Shulk for a week, and believe me I'll hate that, not because I don't like Shulk, its because I like my avatar, a lot, just keep in mind I'm making that wager.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
I don't think Shulk was chosen for the roster if Sakurai said the roster was chosen before development, and sure Chronicles was out the at a good time for predevelopment, but whats stopping Sakurai from just putting him in as a trophy, I hink its more likely Shulk will be a trophy, and if I'm wrong then I'll change my beautiful Madison Rayne avatar to Shulk for a week, and believe me I'll hate that, not because I don't like Shulk, its because I like my avatar, a lot, just keep in mind I'm making that wager.
Well then, have fun changing your avatar to Shulk for one week.
At this point, it really seems pretty unlikely he's not in.

Last edited:

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I think Shulk will be in the game, but something tells me he's not playable, I can easily see him just being a trophy or Assist Trophy, which is quite unfortunate.

I dunno, personally, Shulk is the only newcomer I'm fully expecting. I'm sure we still have at least three newcomers that have yet to be seen, and I want K. Rool, Ridley, and Isaac, but I don't see those happening. Ridley, maybe, but the other two no. Shulk just makes too much sense for me. And Sakurai's a troll, but he won't neglect to add a character that tons of people want and has tons of moveset potential. And one that would benefit Nintendo financially. To me, Shulk fits all of those. But we'll see. Challenge accepted. I'm positive he's in, but if he's not, choose an icon for me to use for a week. Can be anything other than NSFW.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Well then, have fun changing your avatar to Shulk for one week.
At this point, it really seems pretty unlikely he's not in.
Yes, Shulk is one of the only viable options left. He was also at the peak of his relevancy around the time when the roster was decided, since Xenoblade came to America by REALLY popular demand around that time.

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

Well, I hope you like your Shulk avatar. There is nothing pointing to him being merely a trophy or assist trophy as opposed to:
  • Sakurai being good friends with people in Monolift Soft
  • Monolift Soft being the only 1st party company without a character at the moment
  • The Gematsu leak, while inaccurate and outdated, definitely has something going for it
  • Takeda (a writer for Xenoblade Chronicles) retweeting Nintendo events with Smash Bros characters (perhaps hoping for Shulk to be revealed then)
After all that, it'd be quite insulting for him to be delegated to either role you mentioned

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Sadly some people really believe Shulk is disconfirmed now, alongside Snake, but they tend to forget Lucas & Ness are also cut then, due APE.inc isn't mentioned & Sega was absent at the first E3 Trailer for Smash 4.
Technically, APE Inc. is credited. Their name was changed to Creatures Inc. They're credited for their work on Pokemon.

Granted, I know little to nothing about international copyright laws, but I believe I read once that the reason Game Freak and Creatures are credited at all, is because they own the characters from Pokemon, while Nintendo owns the franchise itself. So, if the game were to only have a Pokemon Stadium stage and no Pokemon in it, they wouldn't need to be credited. In Shulk's case, however, Nintendo owns 97% of Monolith Soft who own 100% of Shulk and Xenoblade. So technically, Shulks' owners are already in the credits. I dunno what they'll end up doing for the credits, though, since most of their other 1st parties are called something like "Nintendo Research and Development 1" or something. They might just throw Monolith Soft in there to be safe.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Xenoblade Chronicles came out on June 10, 2010, giving Sakurai plenty of time to include Shulk. On top of that, he has a good working relationship with Monolithsoft as the Studio helped with Brawl.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Wait.....so one lazy 3DS SSB4 commercial and people are already deconfirming him and hanging up their support? That makes no sense.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Wait.....so one lazy 3DS SSB4 commercial and people are already deconfirming him and hanging up their support? That makes no sense.
Looks like it.
They are simply idiots of course. I mean, the creator of Mother isn't credited despite Ness being a lock and Mr Saturn already being in the game

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I don't know if any of you are aware, but Bandai Namco weren't credited in any trailer before Pacman's reveal. Not even Palutena's, which was ONE day before it. And we have also known about their help with Smash 4 for a LONG time.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I know it was stated before, but Monolithsoft is owned by Nintendo, so they wouldn't be listed in a trailer like that anyway. It's not like you saw Retro Studios listed for the Metroid Prime content in Brawl.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I know it was stated before, but Monolithsoft is owned by Nintendo, so they wouldn't be listed in a trailer like that anyway. It's not like you saw Retro Studios listed for the Metroid Prime content in Brawl.
Basically, with all of this being said, Shulk is still completely safe.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman

my dad works at nintendo and he told me shulk is in :troll:

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader

Well get ready to change your avatar, and If you don't like it....-Content Removed-

Last edited by a moderator:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I dunno, personally, Shulk is the only newcomer I'm fully expecting. I'm sure we still have at least three newcomers that have yet to be seen, and I want K. Rool, Ridley, and Isaac, but I don't see those happening. Ridley, maybe, but the other two no. Shulk just makes too much sense for me. And Sakurai's a troll, but he won't neglect to add a character that tons of people want and has tons of moveset potential. And one that would benefit Nintendo financially. To me, Shulk fits all of those. But we'll see. Challenge accepted. I'm positive he's in, but if he's not, choose an icon for me to use for a week. Can be anything other than NSFW.
Wow, those are my three picks for Newcomers, congratulations for guessing them.

Anyway, I think of the three, I don't think we're getting King K Rool, I think we might get Ridley and Isaac.

Oh and of course hopefully Shulk, but I don't know, I been thinking that a certain Zelda villain might be a newcomer instead and this is assuming that the trophy quizzes are indead hinting new characters for each of their respected franchises we seen a trophy quiz for, we have to see what happens regarding Zelda and Metroid characters.

With that said I'm thinking it might be Ghirahim, Isaac and Ridley, this is why I'm saying Shulk might be just a trophy, he just seems too new to put in and by that I mean Chronicles came out in 2011, and before that let me ask what history does Xenoblade have with Nintendo and how far does it date back?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
@ Noiblade Noiblade
Remember that censor dodging, even in gifs and videos, is against the rules. Just be watchful of what you post~

What's this about a commercial potentially deconfirming Shulk? Because Monolith Soft is a Nintendo property and doesn't need to be listed. That's like if every sub-developer for games like Golden Sun were listed, and I don't see Camelot on Brawl.

People, Shulk is a Nintendo owned property and any subsidiary like Monolith is part of Nintendo. They won't be listed in that case.

Last edited:

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
I haven't really given it much thought but I'm curious as to if anyone else has thought about it, what would Shulk's reveal trailer say if he was in? For example, like when it says LUCINA WAKES HER BLADE?! Maybe that's what is actually holding up the trailer, Sakurai doesn't know what to use for a phrase when he reveals him lol.

SHULK MONADOS SOME STUFF!

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
I haven't really given it much thought but I'm curious as to if anyone else has thought about it, what would Shulk's reveal trailer say if he was in? For example, like when it says LUCINA WAKES HER BLADE?! Maybe that's what is actually holding up the trailer, Sakurai doesn't know what to use for a phrase when he reveals him lol.

Shulk engages the enemy!

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
my dad works at nintendo and he told me shulk is in :troll:
My Shulk works at Nintendo and he says Ness's dad is in.

As for why Shulk is likely to be playable instead of a trophy even if we're ignoring the tweets 'n' stuff?
  • Dude can advertise Xenoblade Chronicles X. And oh my Meyneth, does that game look expensive and ambitious! Nintendo needs to make sure it sells well to even get their investment back.
  • He's easily the top most wanted newcomer in the land of the rising sun, and he's no slouch in the West either. In fact, despite a limited U.S. release, and little to no advertising on Nintendo's part, it sold out.
  • Moveset potential all day erry day, man.
  • His game is an absolute epic and is widely considered the best JRPG, and one of the best games period of the seventh console generation.
  • Shulk would bring some of the best locations and music Nintendo owns to Smash with him.
So there's a few reasons, enjoy your new avatar, Agatio! :)

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Anyway, I think of the three, I don't think we're getting King K Rool, I think we might get Ridley and Isaac.

Oh and of course hopefully Shulk, but I don't know, I been thinking that a certain Zelda villain might be a newcomer instead and this is assuming that the trophy quizzes are indead hinting new characters for each of their respected franchises we seen a trophy quiz for, we have to see what happens regarding Zelda and Metroid characters.

With that said I'm thinking it might be Ghirahim, Isaac and Ridley, this is why I'm saying Shulk might be just a trophy, he just seems too new to put in and by that I mean Chronicles came out in 2011, and before that let me ask what history does Xenoblade have with Nintendo and how far does it date back?
The game came out in 2010, not 2011.

Here are some reasons he is likely in the game made by @erico9001

1) Sakurai's tweet of a real life Monado. 8/30/2013

http://operationrainfall.com/2013/08/30/sakurai-tweets-xenoblade-press-start/

Sakurai tweeted a picture of a monado that was at the press-start concert. It seems to have just been on the concert floor, by the musicians, for some reason. Perhaps Xenoblade music was being played? Nobody knows. Also, nobody knows the true intentions behind Sakurai's tweet. He could be a huge fan of the series or could have just found it neat. However you want to take it, there's only positives that can be taken from this as far is Shulk's inclusion in Smash 4.

2) Shulk is a commonly wanted character

Out west, as seen by this thread, Shulk's support thread, vgtribune's Smash Poll 2012, and "Shulk for Super Smash Bros 4" fb page, Shulk is a largely requested character. Furthermore, out in Sakurai's habitat, Japan, Shulk seems even more popular than he is here.

SmashChu said:
Other: Shulk gets quite a lot of requests. Shulk is easily the most requested Nintendo character from a series not represented yet with a playable character in Smash Bros. A distant second would be Starfy. There are several Japanese Smash fans that mention Punch-Out and Little Mac's "overseas" popularity. Isaac (Robin in Japan) and Matthew get few requests. Saki and Isa also get few requests.
Sakurai is paying attention to the people's requests which is seen by an interview with him about his decision not to put chrom in. Also, many of our top requested characters have made it into the game, whether characters, assist trophies, or stage hazards.

3) Shulk can be easily translated into Smash 4

This may seem obvious to people but it's nonetheless important. The main argument people had against Ridley before that Nintendo Direct was that he is too big, implying he would not easily translate into Smash. The opposite can be used as an argument for Shulk. It's easy to make and implement a unique moveset for him. His auto attacks, arts, and monado arts lay out the potential moves he can have. When making the moveset for my ssbb mod, I didn't have to be very creative at all; although, I could have been had I had the resources Sakurai does.

4) "But I am no ordinary swordsman!"

Robin said this in the announcement today, and the truth of the matter is, this is important to people and Sakurai. In the interview about his decision about Chrom, Sakurai said a part of the decision is that Chrom would not have been unique enough and would have been essentially just another swordsman.

The "no similar swordsmen" argument derived from the "no clones" argument, and it's valid for characters like Chrom or Lucina. While this argument is often used by people looking for arguments against Shulk, it actually is more of an argument for Shulk since Shulk isn't just another swordsman, he is the wielder of the Monado, a powerful and unique weapon. For those who haven't played Xenoblade, the Monado opens up like a banana (Bonado

5) Voice actor of Shulk has stated he's Voice acting in new game(s)

"I have been working on a new game recently. I can't say what it is yet but I was very pleased to see it trending on Twitter when it was announced. It's very satisfying to know there's a buzz and anticipation for a project you're involved in."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/ninterview_meet_adam_howden_voice_actor_for_shulk

"Done some VO on several very exciting games so far this year. I'll tell you what they are when I know my balls won't be cut off for telling."

https://twitter.com/A_HOWDZ

6) Monolith Soft is the maker of Xenoblade

Monolith Software used to be third party but came to be owned by Nintendo before Xenoblade was released and so is 1st party. This means Sakurai is free to use Shulk if he wants, without special permissions having to be made. This also makes Monolith the only 1st party developer company without a representation in the Smash bros series. Furthermore, Monolith Soft also worked on Smash bros brawl, which puts into place even further connections to Sakurai.

7) Gematsu leak is hurt but not dead

It's not necessarily dead. The Gematsu leak predicted a ton of characters, and we still have that sneaky spirit from Rythm Heaven that was spotted in Smash Run. It's possible that the Gematsu leaker came across some misinformation, like, perhaps, seeing a completed Chrom model and assuming he's a character. He explained that he doesn't know when the characters will be announced and that Sakurai changes his mind, but he asserted that Shulk is definitely in the game. It's probably best we hear an explanation from the leaker before we officially declare it 'dead.' Also, there are rumors that suggest that perhaps Shulk was planned to be announced but then was moved to a later date for some reason (possibly because people were expecting it), and the monolith developer who retweeted the character reveal could have been mistaken because of the same reason the Gematsu leaker could have been. However, it's no doubt that there is some explaining that needs to be done in order for the Gematsu leak to hold much credibility.

8) Xenoblade's sequel

The sequel to Xenoblade, Xenoblade Chronicles X, has an unknown amount of connection to Xenoblade. We know some guy at Nintendo treehouse said, "It's more of a spiritual sequel" when roughly asked how much the game relates to Xenoblade. We know there's a girl with two monado hairpins. We know that there's a nopon with the Satata's Japanese name (also sports similar glasses to Satata). I have my own theories about the game, but I won't go into them here. Anyways, connections to Shulk raise his relevance by lowering his obscurity and raising his foot print in Nintendo's timeline of gaming.

The sequel also improves the '6) Monolith Soft argument' because it means Monolith will play an even larger role in Nintendo.

9) Xenoblade is a masterpiece

Some awards (only the ones where Xenoblade got first place):

Spoiler
Toggle Spoiler

The reason why you might find that Shulk supporters want him so bad is because of how great of a game Xenoblade is. It's seen as the game that turned around the JRPG genre. It has great story, astounding music, fun combat, and the best graphics that a wii game can have (this game tried to be hd on a non-hd platform!).

Xenoblade being such a highly rated game improves Shulk's chances because it makes it more likely for Sakurai to appreciate the game and Shulk, even if he has not played the game.

10) Japanese voice actor of Shulk, Asanuma Shintaro, tweeted that he is hoping he can fill us in with some good news soon with #Xenoblade

https://twitter.com/sogorukyo/status/476017276584333313

As is the nature with Smash 4 newcomer discussion, these arguments do not individually prove his inclusion but each serve to raise his chances by a little bit. However, it's these arguments that keep the chances for Shulk at a place higher than any other potential newcomer.

It does not really note that Monolithsoft is Nintendo's new favorite 1st party studio. They help out on everything, from Smash to Zelda.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I'm thinking along the lines of "Shulk changes the future!" or "Shulk envisions victory!"

and if you ask me Lucina's phrase should have been "Lucina awakens!" since it sounds better than "wakes her blade?!" imo...missed opportunity

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Waaaaaait....

So you mean the main character of the most important, brand new Nintendo IP with a new high budget game they NEED to advertise, who's game was released just two years after Brawl, and is INCREDIBLY popular (and has been definitely in Japan for quite some time), not to mention:

Sakurai's friends with Monolith Soft developers, Monolith Soft has their hands in LOTS of Nintendo stuff dating back to Brawl, and they keep following the announcements very closely.

You mean to tell me a character like that wasn't chosen because 4 year's notice isn't enough, but Robin (2 years) and Greninja (not even playable/known about when the game was announced) is just fine?

Lordy, now I'm confused. Besides, based on the ATs we have now, Shulk is entirely unfitting for that role.

If he's an AT, I will 100% eat a hat. I don't want say anything is 100% in terms of playability, but c'mon, man. Just c'mon.

I'm thinking along the lines of "Shulk changes the future!" or "Shulk envisions victory!"

and if you ask me Lucina's phrase should have been "Lucina awakens!" since it sounds better than "wakes her blade?!" imo...missed opportunity
"Shulk Engages the Enemy" pls.

Last edited:

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman

Ah I'm holding out for Ghirahim too, would prefer Shulk tho.

Is it really so wrong to have a newer IP in a smash brothers game as a playable character? xD

Last edited:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
...I was going to say something about why Shulk should be in, but then everybody came and said everything for me.

Yaaay, I can be lazy now!

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I can't believe I haven't seen anyone bring up 'Engages the Enemy" before. Perfect.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
This is probably the only good one I've seen.
I mean, "sees the future into battle"? seriously?
"Wields the Monado into battle!" Is even more cringe-worthy. :facepalm:

Also, I really want Ghirahim too. (He's actually my second most wanted now after Monado boy.)

I ALSO hope that trophy quiz theory is right because Ridley, but none of these characters impede Shulk's chances, so I don't know why it's a worry.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Shulk breaks his way into battle! :troll:

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Actually, recency never really mattered. Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, Robin, and Lucina pretty much debunk that argument, as well as Pikachu and Jigglypuff in the original and Marth and Roy in Melee.

Nintendo doesn't have that much history with Xenoblade besides them being reluctant to release it in North America, but history doesn't mean much if you think about it the other way in the long term. Adding Shulk in can benefit the series as Nintendo has all the opportunity to capitalize his inclusion by promoting Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Monolithsoft have also helped Nintendo with several of their games lately. Brawl, Skyward Sword, New Leaf, Nintendoland and the list goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom